One of the first doubts of future parents is the choice between a cot for a newborn or a real bed. Someone also opts directly for the wheelchair, to avoid buying further products. In reality, within the limits of the possibilities of each family (space and economic).
The cradle represents the ideal solution for the first months of the child’s life. It is comfortable, light, practical and many models also allow you to swing the baby. If you are also looking for one, you will have already noticed that there are many types and that it is not easy to decide which one to buy.
Don’t worry, in our guide you will discover not only the best cots on the market, but you can also read a lot of useful information that will help you choose the right product for your needs and those of your little one.
Here we had listed out the best baby cradle for you.
- 2 ways to swing; Side to side or head to toe
- 2 comfy recline positions
- 6 swing speeds, 16 soothing songs & nature sounds
- Easy to convert to different positions—just press button and turn
- Machine washable, plush seat pad with deluxe Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams body insert & head support
- MAXIMISES SPACE: Create a cozy space for your newborn with the award winning Dream On Me Luna/Haven cradle. Built of solid wood, it’s compact dimensions yet roomy interiors make it a must-have in a chic loft nursery or when you are co-sharing with baby
- AWARD WINNING CRADLE The Dream On me Luna/Haven Cradle is the ideal combination of functionality and style and balances comfort with safety. A worthy recipient of the Baby & Children’s Products News Reader’s Favourite Award 2020
- STYLISH DESIGN: Sleek straight lines underline a contemporary aesthetic. Its solid side panel adds a bold pop of colour; the x-cross base allows parents to gently rock their babies to sleep. Choose from 8 versatile single/dual-tone non-toxic finishes
- SAFETY MATTERS: Hidden stabilizing bars add greater support and stability. The Luna is JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM
- PRODUCT SPECS: Ideal for infants from 0 to 3 months of age, when the infant begins to push up on hands or has reached 30 pounds of weight. Product dimensions are 37L x 19W x 31.5H. It weighs 23 lbs. Soft mattress pad included
- WE PUT YOUR BABY'S SAFETY FIRST - Bassinet is JPMA certified.If you are looking for a bed sleeper or bassinet for your baby, Baby cradle is the best choice. Each baby with delicate skin needs to be cared in high quality baby products,The corners of the crib are rounded to protect baby from being bruised. We use premium Steel Pipe for the main construction which makes it strong and durable. Besides, the non-slip foot design facilitates better placement of the rocking chairs for babies.
- SOOTHING FEATURES - Relaxes baby with a variable speed vibrations pod that plays pre-loaded lullabies,equipped with some toys around it,entertain the newborns and exercise the baby's grasping ability and promote development.the baby bassinet is just like a babysitter to assist you stay with your baby when you are sleeping, reading or do other things.
- PORTABLE DESIGN FOLDS - Unlike traditional cribs which are big and heavy, our swinging bassinet for baby can be folded easily and used conveniently,for easy transport and storage, matress cover can be easily removed and cleaned. There are breathable meshes placed in 4 corners of the crib so that your baby can breathe fresh air, no matter which way their head is turned when sleeping. And the removable mosquito nets can protect the baby from mosquito bites.
- EASY TO INSTALL - No additional tools are required,It can be easily installed in just a few steps. Mommy can also build an exclusive space for her baby boy or girl. We also provide clear instructions for you, If you are confused with installations Baby bassinet, you can contact us for more advice.Give the gift of peace of mind, this baby cradle swing provides new parents a safe, separate sleep space for their baby.
- IDEAL SIZE - Electric baby swings for infants Assembled dimensions: 33.2 Inches L x 25.9 Inches W x 32.6 Inches H; Product weight: 11 pounds;Max Weight: 25 Lbs; bassinet, suitable for birth to 12-months (3 -20kg/ 6-40 lb) or until baby can pull themselves into an upright position. What you’d get: Newborn Baby Crib * 1, breathable net * 1. Instruction *1. 1 year warranty.
- Gentle, side-to-side swaying motion soothes and comforts baby
- 6 swing speeds allow you to find the right pace for baby
- Deep, plush seat and head support keep baby cozy and comfortable
- Small frame design fits easily anywhere in your home
- 2-speed vibration further comforts your little one
- DUAL USE: Gently rock your LO to sleep thanks to the smooth rocking of the Rocking Cradle. It rocks to a steady pace unlike swinging. It can also also be made stationary using the simple support pin on one side of the cradle
- BEAUTIFUL DESIGN: Built of solid wood, it boasts an ergonomic stylish design with arched head and footboards, smooth edges and corners. It is available in five classy non-toxic finishes that blend beautifully with a variety of nursery themes
- SAFETY MATTERS. ALWAYS: At Dream On Me, safety is our top priority. The Rocking Cradle is JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM
- IDEAL FOR THE EARLY MONTHS OF PARENTHOOD: The Dream On Me Rocking Cradle recommended for use with newborns to 20 pounds or until the baby can roll from side to side or push up. It boasts roomy interiors and comes equipped with a slumber pad
- PRODUCT SPECS: Product dimensions are 38 L x 22 W x 32.5 H inches. It weighs 17.5 lbs
- Calming sway motion generated by you or baby
- Dual mode lighting; Choose from soothing projection and night light (Light projection unit is removable and can be used as a tabletop soother)
- Flat sleeping surface with deluxe overhead mobile
- 30 minutes of calming vibrations, music and sounds
- Optional lock out to minimize swaying motion
- SAFETY & HIGH-QUALITY CRADLE BED – Bassinet has passed JPMA certification. We are not wooden beds, but multifunctional cribs without paint. Every baby with delicate skin needs high-quality baby products. cradle has a climax of craftsmanship and a classic appearance. non-slip foot pad design helps to better stabilize the crib. Baby Bassinets, holds your little one safely within reach, right at your bedside.
- WITH MUSIC BOX AND DETACHABLE TOY – Baby cradle swing：3 adjustable swing speeds ensure finding just the right soothing pace to fit baby's preference.timer function (15 min, 30 min, 45 min), panel control and remote control, USB, with 12 kinds of music, Soothing sounds lull baby to sleep,relaxing music and sounds to add some extra serenity to the ambiance,the hanging soft toys provide plenty of activity for baby to feel and grab.
- PORTABLE AUTOMATIC CRADLE – Unlike traditional cribs that are heavy and bulky, our cribs can be easily folded and conveniently used. Air Mesh on Both Sides,This breathable fabric is also made to promote airflow, giving baby a cooler and comfortable space to rest.The soft and hard mattress can protect the baby's spine. included mosquito net can be placed in the cradle to protect the baby from mosquito bites.You can use the rocking function or the normal stable mode at will.
- QUICK & EASY INSTALLATION – portable bassinet for baby travel can be easily installed, disassembled, folded and cleaned without any tools. Easy to install and fold manually. Bassinet can save space and facilitate travel. The removable and washable cloth cover and soft fabric can protect the baby's skin. The mattress is easy to disassemble and clean, and solves the cleaning problem after the baby wets the bed. You can easily remove them from the steel frame for cleaning without deformation.
- IDEAL SIZE & AFTER SALE – Baby bassinet Assembled dimensions :33.2 In L x 25.9 In W x 32.6 In H; Product weight: 13 pounds;Max Weight: 55 Lbs; bassinet, suitable for birth to 12 -months (3 -25kg/ 6-55 lb) or until baby can pull themselves into an upright position. What you’d get: Baby bassinet * 1, breathable net * 1. Instruction *1. mosquito net*1.pillow*1. 1 year warranty.
- Two swinging motions to help soothe baby: Rock baby side-to-side like a cradle or swing head-to-toe like a traditional baby swing
- Six swing speeds, 16 songs, soothing nature sounds
- Two-position recline with 3 adjustable seat positions: right-facing, center, left-facing
- Easy to convert to different swing positions—just press button and turn
- Machine-washable seat cover with deluxe My Little Snugabunny body insert and bunny ears head support
Buying Guide to Select the Best Baby Cradle
When buying any object intended for a newborn baby, it is normal to have a thousand doubts. In the following section, we will try to answer the most frequently asked questions of those who, like you, are looking for all the possible information about the baby cot.
What Exactly Is a Cradle?
The cradle is a wicker or bamboo basket, with handles and often with a “roof”, ideal for the rest and sleep of newborn babies in the very first months of life. However, as the baby grows, it is advisable to transfer it to a cot so that it has greater comfort and freedom of movement.
What Types of Cradles Are There?
Initially, the cradle was used by mothers to have their baby next to them and be able to carry it with them easily. For this reason, almost all models have handles to improve transport. Today, however, many models do not have handles.
Below, let’s see what types of cradles you can find and their characteristics.
- Travel cradle: usually packaged in canvas and foldable to be easily transported. Takes up little space.
- Cradle with handles: with or without a support structure. The handles allow it to be easily moved around the house. Usually, they are wicker or wood.
- Cradle for co-sleeping (attached to the parents’ bed): it fits and hangs on the bed, so that the mother will not have to get up at night, but will have her baby next to her without barriers. It is handy for the first weeks of life, in which the infant is breastfed very frequently.
- Scissor cradle: folds very easily and takes up very little space when stored. It consists of two parts: the portable cradle and the frame.
- Cradle with a canopy: has a protective sheet in the part of the roof which, in addition to an aesthetic purpose, is used to avoid strong lights, dust and mosquitoes at night.
- Rocking cradle: its balancing system uses to rock the baby while he is falling asleep. Once he is sleeping, the swing can be stopped with a locking system.
- Cradle with wheels: perfect to be moved from one part of the house to another to keep an eye on the baby while he is busy with household chores. It has brakes.
What Should the Mattress of The Cradle Be Like?
Most cots include a mattress, but not all of them are recommended for your baby. For this reason, before choosing a model, you must make sure that the bed is of adequate size.
If it is too small, it may be particularly uncomfortable for the newborn to sleep in the cot. Also, it must be rigid at the right point (neither too hard nor too soft) to ensure maximum comfort for the child.
As a rule, the mattresses already included in the purchase of a cot are too thin, so it won’t hurt to have a second thicker for the baby to sleep better. If the mattress adapts to the weight and height of the baby, it will encourage its growth.
How Much Does a Cot Measure?
The standard size of a cot is 80 x 40 x 25 cm, although this is not the only size available. The canopied and rocking cradles are usually more giant, and the folding ones are smaller. Consider that the bigger the product, the more time you can use it, and the baby can sleep safely longer.
What Are the Advantages of Using a Cot?
Buying a cot is an excellent idea, not only because it is a safe and comfortable option for the newborn, but also its countless advantages over other types of the cot. Below, we explain why buying this product is a choice you will not regret, finding the right product for your needs.
- It takes up very little space, therefore it is ideal for use in small homes. Thanks to its small size, you can keep it next to your bed to keep your baby close at night, supervise and breastfeed him.
- A cot will make it easier to take the baby in your arms to calm him down if he cries, as he is taller than a standard cot.
- It is perfect for moving around the various rooms of the house while doing household chores. Many people also choose the cradle to take it to work, being very easy to handle thanks to its size and weight.
- The cradle transmits comfort and safety to the baby, reminding him of the mother’s tummy and a small and intimate environment. Besides, even by stretching, it will reach the edges of the cradle, feeling comfortable.
- It is essential in the first months of the baby’s life because it prevents him from turning as he could in a larger bed and feeling unprotected.
How Long Can I Use the Cradle for My Baby?
It is advisable to use the cradle up to four months of age, although this is subjective and will depend very much on the growth rates of the baby. But how do you know when it’s time to move the baby to a giant bed?
When he starts trying to turn around and can’t do it well, or when he starts using his hands to pull himself up, it’s time to take him to sleep in a more comfortable and safe place.
An excellent way to make the transition to the cot not too abrupt is to leave the baby in the cot during the day, but continue to let him sleep in the cot for the first few nights. In this way, the child will gradually become familiar with the new bed and will not undergo a sudden change.
Type of Cot
You need to know the size of your home to know what type of cot to buy. If it is not very spacious, an oversized cradle will get in the way of reaching your baby when looking after him. On the contrary, a cradle with wheels is suitable for large houses. In tiny rooms, a folding cot will be the ideal purchase.
A cradle can be made of heavy materials such as wood, which will complicate moving around the house a bit. However, even if heavier, these cradles are longer lasting and can be reused for siblings without being damaged. Wicker cradles are much lighter, but also more delicate.
The best-selling cradles are composed of a basket with a base that is usually made of wood and wicker sides. These are resistant materials that make them very safe.
Also, you must check that there is adequate ventilation to allow proper transpiration of the baby. The reviews released by other parents when shopping online will be especially helpful.
Ease of Use and Portability
It is essential that the cradle you buy is easy to use and that the various elements (the basket, the vestments, the mattress, the legs, the roof and the cover) can be put on and taken off simply. The cradle must also be easy to move from one room to another so that your baby can follow you. For this reason, it must have wheels or handles.
You must make sure that the infant has enough space to move around inside the crib, but also that it is not possible to lean over the edges. Furthermore, it is interesting to know the height of the cradle, including wheels, since its practicality and adaptability will depend on it.
Some cots already include everything needed for the comfort of the newborn. There are some with side facing and others with decorative canopy.
The equipped cradles mean that you don’t have to buy other extra accessories. It is equally essential that the cradle has cushioned wheels, to avoid nuisances and vibrations during movement.
If you are part of a family of travellers and during the first months of your baby’s life, you think you have to move a lot away from home, your research must focus on travel cots, specially designed and with the same comfort as the other options.
The cradle can be used in the first months of the baby’s life to help him get used to outdoor environments while maintaining the bond with his parents. Also, it is beneficial, in the first two or three months, to convey a sense of security to the child thanks to its compact size.
Resting in small spaces develops its well-being. You must take into account some safety measures when using a cot. For example, if it has a rocking system, you must make sure that it can be blocked during the night or when the baby is alone, to prevent him from turning around and risking falling. Besides, you must make sure that the newborn is not too big for the crib or will be uncomfortable.