One of the first doubts of future parents is the choice between a cot for a newborn or a real bed. Someone also opts directly for the wheelchair, to avoid buying further products. In reality, within the limits of the possibilities of each family (space and economic).
The cradle represents the ideal solution for the first months of the child’s life. It is comfortable, light, practical and many models also allow you to swing the baby. If you are also looking for one, you will have already noticed that there are many types and that it is not easy to decide which one to buy.
Don’t worry, in our guide you will discover not only the best cots on the market, but you can also read a lot of useful information that will help you choose the right product for your needs and those of your little one.
Here we had listed out the best baby cradle for you.
- 2 ways to swing; Side to side or head to toe
- 2 comfy recline positions
- 6 swing speeds, 16 soothing songs & nature sounds
- Easy to convert to different positions—just press button and turn
- Machine washable, plush seat pad with deluxe Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams body insert & head support
- Two swinging motions to help soothe baby: rock baby side-to-side like a cradle or swing head-to-toe like a traditional baby swing
- Six swing speeds, 16 songs, soothing nature sounds
- Two-position recline with 3 adjustable seat positions: right-facing, center, left-facing
- Easy to convert to different swing positions—just press button and turn
- Machine-washable seat cover with deluxe My Little Snugabunny body insert and bunny ears head support
- The Luna cradle is perfect for newborns through when child can push up on hands and knees.
- This cradle offers a modern design with straight lines, solid side panels and an x cross base for easy rocking.
- Hidden Stabilizing bars add greater support and stability .
- Cradles meet or exceed current applicable safety standards for children's products
- newborn to 3 months old
- LATHER: Use soft foam sponge to lather up baby’s head with baby soap, cradle cap shampoo or oil. Replacement sponges available (sold separately).
- LOOSEN: Next loosen the flakes on baby’s scalp by massaging in a circular motion with gentle bristle brush that contours to baby’s head.
- LIFT: Then lift flakes away from baby’s scalp and out of the hair with fine tooth comb.
- ALL-IN-ONE SOLUTION: The only 3-step regimen with the hard tools parent’s need to remove the flakes!
- EFFECTIVE + GENTLE: Super soft, dense sponge and gentle bristles for sensitive baby skin without compromising effectiveness.
- The product is supposed to rock smoothly and unlike swing, it rocks to a steady pace
- Arched head and footboards, comes complete with slumber pad
- Non-toxic finish
- The cradle can also be made stationary using the simple support pin on one side of the cradle
- Recommended for use with newborns to 20 pounds or until baby can roll from side to side or push up
- Calming sway motion generated by you or baby
- Dual mode lighting; Choose from soothing projection and night light (Light projection unit is removable and can be used as a tabletop soother)
- Flat sleeping surface with deluxe overhead mobile
- 30 minutes of calming vibrations, music and sounds
- Optional lock out to minimize swaying motion
- White wooden rocking play cradle for dolls and stuffed animals up to 20 inches tall
- Features smooth rocking motion and wipe-clean surface; includes cozy removable mattress
- Coordinates perfectly with Mine to Love Play Bed, Play Bunk Bed, Play Armoire, Play Stroller, and Play High Chair
- Encourages empathy and helps kids express themselves
- Makes a great gift for children ages 3+
- SAFE and COMFORT- Sleep soundly knowing that your baby is safer and comfortable
- MOBILE- It is lightweight enough to move from room to room for convenience.
- ADJUSTABLE- 6-positions allow height adjustment to adapt the sleeper height to most adult beds.
- ACCESS- Easily lean over to nurse, comfort or just check on your baby during the night
- QUICK TOOL-FREE ASSEMBLY; Storage pocket
Buying Guide to Select the Best Baby Cradle
When buying any object intended for a newborn baby, it is normal to have a thousand doubts. In the following section, we will try to answer the most frequently asked questions of those who, like you, are looking for all the possible information about the baby cot.
What Exactly Is a Cradle?
The cradle is a wicker or bamboo basket, with handles and often with a “roof”, ideal for the rest and sleep of newborn babies in the very first months of life. However, as the baby grows, it is advisable to transfer it to a cot so that it has greater comfort and freedom of movement.
What Types of Cradles Are There?
Initially, the cradle was used by mothers to have their baby next to them and be able to carry it with them easily. For this reason, almost all models have handles to improve transport. Today, however, many models do not have handles.
Below, let’s see what types of cradles you can find and their characteristics.
- Travel cradle: usually packaged in canvas and foldable to be easily transported. Takes up little space.
- Cradle with handles: with or without a support structure. The handles allow it to be easily moved around the house. Usually, they are wicker or wood.
- Cradle for co-sleeping (attached to the parents’ bed): it fits and hangs on the bed, so that the mother will not have to get up at night, but will have her baby next to her without barriers. It is handy for the first weeks of life, in which the infant is breastfed very frequently.
- Scissor cradle: folds very easily and takes up very little space when stored. It consists of two parts: the portable cradle and the frame.
- Cradle with a canopy: has a protective sheet in the part of the roof which, in addition to an aesthetic purpose, is used to avoid strong lights, dust and mosquitoes at night.
- Rocking cradle: its balancing system uses to rock the baby while he is falling asleep. Once he is sleeping, the swing can be stopped with a locking system.
- Cradle with wheels: perfect to be moved from one part of the house to another to keep an eye on the baby while he is busy with household chores. It has brakes.
What Should the Mattress of The Cradle Be Like?
Most cots include a mattress, but not all of them are recommended for your baby. For this reason, before choosing a model, you must make sure that the bed is of adequate size.
If it is too small, it may be particularly uncomfortable for the newborn to sleep in the cot. Also, it must be rigid at the right point (neither too hard nor too soft) to ensure maximum comfort for the child.
As a rule, the mattresses already included in the purchase of a cot are too thin, so it won’t hurt to have a second thicker for the baby to sleep better. If the mattress adapts to the weight and height of the baby, it will encourage its growth.
How Much Does a Cot Measure?
The standard size of a cot is 80 x 40 x 25 cm, although this is not the only size available. The canopied and rocking cradles are usually more giant, and the folding ones are smaller. Consider that the bigger the product, the more time you can use it, and the baby can sleep safely longer.
What Are the Advantages of Using a Cot?
Buying a cot is an excellent idea, not only because it is a safe and comfortable option for the newborn, but also its countless advantages over other types of the cot. Below, we explain why buying this product is a choice you will not regret, finding the right product for your needs.
- It takes up very little space, therefore it is ideal for use in small homes. Thanks to its small size, you can keep it next to your bed to keep your baby close at night, supervise and breastfeed him.
- A cot will make it easier to take the baby in your arms to calm him down if he cries, as he is taller than a standard cot.
- It is perfect for moving around the various rooms of the house while doing household chores. Many people also choose the cradle to take it to work, being very easy to handle thanks to its size and weight.
- The cradle transmits comfort and safety to the baby, reminding him of the mother’s tummy and a small and intimate environment. Besides, even by stretching, it will reach the edges of the cradle, feeling comfortable.
- It is essential in the first months of the baby’s life because it prevents him from turning as he could in a larger bed and feeling unprotected.
How Long Can I Use the Cradle for My Baby?
It is advisable to use the cradle up to four months of age, although this is subjective and will depend very much on the growth rates of the baby. But how do you know when it’s time to move the baby to a giant bed?
When he starts trying to turn around and can’t do it well, or when he starts using his hands to pull himself up, it’s time to take him to sleep in a more comfortable and safe place.
An excellent way to make the transition to the cot not too abrupt is to leave the baby in the cot during the day, but continue to let him sleep in the cot for the first few nights. In this way, the child will gradually become familiar with the new bed and will not undergo a sudden change.
Type of Cot
You need to know the size of your home to know what type of cot to buy. If it is not very spacious, an oversized cradle will get in the way of reaching your baby when looking after him. On the contrary, a cradle with wheels is suitable for large houses. In tiny rooms, a folding cot will be the ideal purchase.
A cradle can be made of heavy materials such as wood, which will complicate moving around the house a bit. However, even if heavier, these cradles are longer lasting and can be reused for siblings without being damaged. Wicker cradles are much lighter, but also more delicate.
The best-selling cradles are composed of a basket with a base that is usually made of wood and wicker sides. These are resistant materials that make them very safe.
Also, you must check that there is adequate ventilation to allow proper transpiration of the baby. The reviews released by other parents when shopping online will be especially helpful.
Ease of Use and Portability
It is essential that the cradle you buy is easy to use and that the various elements (the basket, the vestments, the mattress, the legs, the roof and the cover) can be put on and taken off simply. The cradle must also be easy to move from one room to another so that your baby can follow you. For this reason, it must have wheels or handles.
You must make sure that the infant has enough space to move around inside the crib, but also that it is not possible to lean over the edges. Furthermore, it is interesting to know the height of the cradle, including wheels, since its practicality and adaptability will depend on it.
Some cots already include everything needed for the comfort of the newborn. There are some with side facing and others with decorative canopy.
The equipped cradles mean that you don’t have to buy other extra accessories. It is equally essential that the cradle has cushioned wheels, to avoid nuisances and vibrations during movement.
If you are part of a family of travellers and during the first months of your baby’s life, you think you have to move a lot away from home, your research must focus on travel cots, specially designed and with the same comfort as the other options.
The cradle can be used in the first months of the baby’s life to help him get used to outdoor environments while maintaining the bond with his parents. Also, it is beneficial, in the first two or three months, to convey a sense of security to the child thanks to its compact size.
Resting in small spaces develops its well-being. You must take into account some safety measures when using a cot. For example, if it has a rocking system, you must make sure that it can be blocked during the night or when the baby is alone, to prevent him from turning around and risking falling. Besides, you must make sure that the newborn is not too big for the crib or will be uncomfortable.