Mosquitoes can be considered the number 1 public enemy of summer: when we can’t wait to enjoy the summer, and we can finally spend time outdoors (or at least open the windows in the house), here the insect sucks blood invades our borders and start a war at the last sting throughout the summer.
How can we defend ourselves? Winning the war is possible, thanks to technology, as always. So here is a complete guide on how to choose the best mosquito repellent for all needs and preferences: we will make a brief excursus on the various types of repellent devices, listing the benefits and disadvantages, and then recommend some products.
The arrival of summer is a generally happy moment: for many summers it means holidays, relaxation and the outdoors. Punctually, however, the mosquito problem arises: these insects can ruin our well-being, a restful sleep, the barbecue evening in the garden, or the walk.
Let’s see which mosquito trap to buy, comparing the models sold online. We proceed by analyzing the offers of the best-selling models.
- Formulated with 25% DEET
- Repels mosquitoes that may carry the Zika, Dengue, or West Nile viruses
- Long-lasting protection from mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, gnats, and chiggers
- Powder-dry formula—not oily or greasy
- Aerosol spray allows for easy application in a continuous sweeping motion
- KILLS FAST: Kills mosquitoes, listed ant types, fleas and other listed insects
- QUICKFLIP HOSE-END SPRAYER: Hose-end-sprayer activates spray at the flip of a switch – just grip, flip and go
- LASTS ALL SUMMER: Controls up to 12 weeks against house crickets, carpenter ants, harvester ants, lady beetles and earwigs
- COVERAGE: Treats up to 5,000 square feet of lawn
- NO MIXING REQUIRED: Attach the sprayer to a garden hose to treat your lawn, landscape and outdoor surfaces where insects hide
- 15-Foot Area of Protection – Perfect for entertaining on lawn, porch, patio, pool or deck; proven technology used to fight mosquitoes in toughest spots on earth; provides 12 hours of protection
- No Chemical Sprays, Wipes, DEET or Lotions on Skin – Patio Shield is more effective and repels mosquitoes without sprays, scents or flames of torches, smelly citronella or dirty candles
- Scent-Free, Long-Lasting, Easy to Use — Highly effective repellent mats turn white when time to replace; evaluated by the EPA for safety and effectiveness; Turn it on… Mosquitoes Gone
- Stylish, Convenient, Portable – The trusted Patio Shield Mosquito Repeller is the perfect gift for a new homeowner, hostess, retiree, college graduate, gardener or caregiver
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee — Thermacell offers support and warrants complete satisfaction during first year of use; the glacial blue Patio Shield comes with 1 fuel cartridge and 3 repellent mats
- Quick and effective result in one week: Gadino mice repellent applies new powerful ultrasonic and electromagnetic technology to induce away all sorts of insects, rodents, rats and spiders effectively. Most clients notice immediate results in only 7-10 days. In certain extreme cases, the ultrasonic rat repellent may take up to 21 days to determine complete results.
- Safe for human and eco-friendly products: This pest repellent uses specific ultrasonic frequencies in which only insects, bugs and pests can identify and make them scramble to find a way out of your house. Gadino pest reject contains no odor or any insecticide components, and it is 100% non-toxic.
- Large coverage and wide usages: Each ultrasonic rodent repellent can cover up to 1200 sq. ft. Plug in more for large and open spaces to have better protection for your furniture, pets and your house.
- Easy to use: Being plugged into power sockets, the insect repellent will instantly shoo away harmful pests without any mess or odor. No battery will be needed, which will save you a great deal of replacement.
- Quality guarantee: Within 30 days of usage, in case there is any inconvenience in our spider repellent, we are willing to give you a 100% refund.
- No Skin Application- OFF! Clip-On Mosquito Repellent provides protection without putting anything on your skin. No spray, no mess.
- Indicator Light- A red indicator light will turn on, which indicates there’s approximately 3 hours of the refill and battery left. Use refill within 14 days of opening.
- Easy to Use Whether- you clip it on or set it next to you, the unit offers protection that’s just a click away. It also contains a 360° rotating clip for additional comfort.
- Fan Powered- The quiet, battery-powered fan circulates repellent all around you. Batteries are included.
- Refillable- Each refill disk provides up to 12 hours of head-to-toe mosquito protection and will work with previous and new designs of the OFF! Clip-On Mosquito Repellent unit. One refill is included with the unit. Additional refills are sold separately and each pack contains two repellent disks (each disk provides up to 12 hours of protection). Use each refill within 14 days of opening.
- 🍄100% Natural & Deet-free --Bracelets are made from substances such as Citronella, Lemongrass, and Geraniol Essential Oils. DEET-Free, perfectly safe to use and offers unrivaled protection from insects day and night, which can be used on children,adults & pets.
- 🍄Rich & Diversified Pack --Our Wristband includes 48 pack colorful and skin-safe Bands that INDIVIDUALLY PACKED to keep each bracelet ability of the reusing effect. Different color bracelets can be also matched with different clothes to show your personality.
- 🍄Quality-Inspection --Made from high-quality EVA material, these bracelets are very soft and extremely elastic, tough and quality-tested to keep mosquitoes away. Always fashionable and extremely comfortable to wear on your Hair, wrist and ankle.
- 🍄Long-Lasting Protection --Each bracelet offers 350 hours of effective protection. You can simply put them on just about anywhere, such as your kid's backpacks, strollers and lots more.
- 🍄Enjoy Your Time --Our Natural Wristband are great for outdoor or indoor use. While you go out for BBQ, camping, hiking, gardening, fishing, hunting, Swimming (WATERPROOF), traveling and even weddings, where the mosquitoes like to appear.
- 🍅100% Natural & Deet-free - Our Bracelets are made with 100% Natural Ingredients such as: Citronella, lemongrass, Lavender, Chamomile, Tea, Mugwort, Mint and Eucalyptus essential oils, DEET-Free, non-toxic and perfectly safe to use and offers protection from day and night.
- 🍅Rich & Diversified Pack - Our Bracelets includes 24 pack colorful and skin-safe Bands that INDIVIDUALLY PACKED to keep each bracelet ability to keep active for using again in the future. Each bracelet offers 350 hours of effective protection.
- 🍅Eco-friendly Design - Made from high-quality EVA material, these bracelets are very soft and extremely elastic, yet tough. Always fashionable and extremely comfortable to wear on your Hair, wrist and ankle, both for kids and adults.
- 🍅Indoors & Outdoors Use - Our Natural Wristband are great for outdoor or indoor use. Suitable for many occasions, go out for BBQ, camping, hiking, gardening, fishing, hunting, Swimming (WATERPROOF), traveling and even weddings. Our all-natural ingredient bracelets are scientifically proven to protect you.
- 🍅Premium Quality and Service - Your comfort and satisfaction is our #1 priority. If you have any problems with it or questions, please feel free to contact us and we will respond in time. We're standing by to assist you all the time.
- Fine tuned the range of ultrasonic frequencies
- Three function modes, green, blue and red, green and blue is inaudible, red is audible
- It can cover an area of 80 to 120 square meters
- Put one in one room as ultrasonic wave can not penetrate through walls and solid objects
- Working with low frequency ultrasonic wave
- Thermacell MR300 Portable Mosquito Repeller, Olive Green; Contains Fuel Cartridge, 3 Mosquito Repellent Mats; 15-ft Zone of Protection, 12 Hours of Mosquito-Free Relief Included; DEET-Free, No Spray
- The Thermacell Mosquito Repeller has a compact frame that takes up little space when traveling and a lightweight body so it can be easily brought with on any outdoor excursion
- The MR300 is a version of Thermacell mosquito repeller, an effective portable mosquito repellent for spending time outside without being bothered by mosquitoes or by unwanted scents or sprays
- Olive green exterior and sleek design are great for entertaining and the perfect addition to patios and decks for optimal protection without compromising the scenery
- No more need for torches, mosquito lotions or sprays; Thermacell Portable Mosquito Repeller does not use contact with skin to defend against mosquitoes, meaning no chemicals on skin
Buyer Guide to Choose Mosquito Repellents
The choice of a product capable of cleaning up annoying mosquitoes is an opportunity to check and find the best trap available. In this guide, some tips for effective and productive use.
Many models on the market have an outlet thanks to which they can be connected to the power supply. Our advice is to take advantage of the one next to the area of interest, to improve the yield and optimize the elimination of the “enemy.”
Where possible, we recommend that you prefer traps that work thanks to perfumed essences or that, thanks to the blue light, manage to attract these annoying insects. In this way, you can greatly reduce the impact that these substances can have on human health.
Better to use these traps only in case of real need, especially those that connect to a power outlet so as not to leave them in operation without a real need and wasting only energy.
When choosing platelets and other substances, it is good to check the actual compatibility and the methods of use with which they work. Know that it is always better to mount only products whose effective and proven compatibility is such.
Some traps are structured to attract and suck in the unfortunate insects once they are nearby. The collection and disposal usually take place in a dedicated area, located at the bottom, and which should be cleaned regularly.
Choose an Effective Product Night and Day
In the selection of an effective trap aimed at models that can be exploited at any time of the day without a difference and which therefore do not have the typical functions of a specific time or set time slot. Repellents are products to be applied on the body to keep mosquitoes away. They don’t kill them, but with different mechanisms, they make sure that these insects aren’t attracted to us. A repellent product must be registered and approved for efficacy and safety by the Ministry of Health.
If instead, the label shows the complete list of ingredients (INCI) like a soap, it is not a repellent, but a cosmetic that by law cannot boast of any efficacy. These types of products based on essential oils such as lemongrass, thyme, lavender, or geranium do not go beyond half an hour of protection.
To choose the mosquito repellent, it is important to check the concentration of the active ingredient and then choose the size of the product (spray, stick, lotion …) according to your needs.
The Best Repellent in The Test
They are the substances that make an effective repellent. The most reliable (as our field tests show) are synthetic, i.e., chemical:
The Deet. It is very effective even at low (already from 7.5%). At 20% it protects for about 6 hours, over 30% is recommended only for holidays in tropical countries or in areas at risk. in tropics or areas at risk. It is not suitable for children up to 12 years of age.
Icaridin. It is effective as early as 10%. Concentrations of 20% protect over 6 hours. It can be used on children from 2 years old.
Citrodiol. The only substance of natural origin of recognized efficacy. Starting from 10%, it protects for a few hours, but even increasing concentrations of more than 20%, it never reaches excellent ratings. It can be used in children from 2 years old.
Products based on essential oils (such as lemongrass, geranium, eucalyptus) cannot be declared “repellent,” but cosmetics. Check the label carefully, because there is no shortage of products that pretend to be natural, but that actually contain Deet. Furthermore, a “natural” repellent in itself is not necessarily safer.
Precautions for Use
Here are some tips for getting maximum protection by limiting health hazards:
- Do not use repellents on irritated, scalded, abraded or injured skin.
- Read the instructions carefully before use and, if swallowed, take the product packaging with you to the emergency room or communicate it to the poison center.
- Do not use the sprays directly on the face, but apply the product with your hands.
- Also, apply the product (preferably spray) on clothes. Remember that dark ones attract mosquitoes.
- If you sweat a lot, reapply the product several times.
- Do not apply repellents on the mucous membranes. Don’t ingest and don’t inhale them.
- Avoid products that do not carry the wording “medical surgical equipment” with the ministerial authorization number: it means that they are cosmetics and cannot be repellent.
Spray, Stick, or Wipes?
Choose the product format according to your needs:
Spray: Ensures a quick application and can also be sprayed on clothes because it does not stain.
Sticks and “pocket sizes”: They are good for small surfaces, such as ankles, neck, and arms. They are comfortable to carry, but less hygienic than sprays if they are to be used by more people.
Lotions and gels: They are comfortable to spread and safer for children because they avoid the risk of inhalation.
Wipes: They are useful for renewing the coverage after some time has passed since the first application or when the exposed parts are few (for example, hands and neck).
If you are looking for very strong coverage, it is better to opt for sprays and lotions: they are more effective and have higher concentrations of an active ingredient. Sticks and wipes are difficult to spread all over the body: better to use them when the mosquitoes are few, and the exposure time is limited.
Electric Mosquito Repellents
Electric mosquito nets are of different types: among these, we include the lamp, a device for eliminating various insects including mosquitoes and flies. It consists precisely of a fluorescent lamp, locked in a metal grid, of different powers that attract insects through the phototaxis mechanism, that is when the insect is attracted by a light stimulus.
The metal grid that surrounds the lamp generates a difference in electrical potential, between 750 and 5000 Volts, so the insects that approach attracted by the light suffer an electric discharge that kills them the moment they touch the grid, falling into the removable tray below.
This lamp also exists with a fan; the difference with the other type is that it eliminates insects through the suction effect of the fans; in fact, the mosquitoes are attracted by the light and are sucked in by the fan and then fall into the collection compartment.
How to Use Electric Mosquito Repellents
The electric lamp mosquito net works simply by connecting it to the current, turning on the light that can be neon or UV that will attract mosquitoes killing them thanks to electricity.
Instead, the electric diffuser works with a repellent, which can be in the form of platelets or liquid, it is like a small stove that inserted into the electrical outlet gives off the insect repellent substance that kills the mosquitoes present in the place where it is installed and keeps away the others.
This type of diffuser must be used following the instructions carefully in order to optimize the results but, at the same time, safeguard the health of the inhabitants of the house.