In this guide, we explain how to choose a rain gauge, a simple but essential tool, ideal for measuring the amount of rain that has fallen.
There is talk of a device that must always be placed in an outdoor area, free of obstacles in the vicinity, to function correctly. Although it may seem easy to choose, there are several elements that you should know before deciding which rain gauge to take home.
Right below, we had selected some of the best models of the best rain gauges.
- Measures up to 5 inches of rainwater
- Numbers are magnified by over 35% for an easy read
- Easy-to-read White numbers and inch markings
- Durable, weather-resistant acrylic construction
- Integrated hang hole for easy mounting or can be stacked into the ground
- Our beautiful rain gauge will capture and measure the rainfall in your garden.
- An attractive ornamental stake during the day, with colourful metal cattail and butterfly adorning the top.
- The solar panel captures the sunlight and illuminates the LED glass rainfall tube at dusk.
- On/off switch located on solar panel.
- Stands 25" tall on a 4-1/2" pronged metal stake.
- Stylish twisted metal garden stake design (Electrostatic rust resistant paint)
- Easy-to-read durable 8.75" tall glass tube (measures 5 inches (12.7cm) of rainfall)
- Versatile Mounting Options: Use Included Garden Stake to place in the ground or screw/nail onto Fence or Post (hardware not included)
- Rain collector slides out of the metal stand for emptying and cleaning
- Compatible with universal replacement glass rain gauge tube 704-1522
- Self-emptying rain collector automatically dumps collection cup
- Outdoor rain totals transmitted every 16 seconds to indoor display
- Flood watch alarm indicates if present conditions could lead to flooding
- Rainfall measurement in inches or millimeters with history
- Strong signal penetration (enhanced 433 MHz)
- 20" tall jumbo jr. rain gauge with 5" water capacity
- Accurate, easy-to-read measurements are visible from up to 50 ft. away
- Funnel filter minimizes outdoor debris
- High impact plastic construction provides extra durability
- Includes ground spike and bracket for easy wall mounting and ground installation
- Innovative design slides on & off bracket for ease of use
- Mounts on a deck, fence rail or top of stake
- Rain gauge measures backyard rain fall
- Large width waterfall design
- plastic frame
- Self-emptying rain collector measures rainfall in your backyard and wirelessly transmits readings to an indoor digital display (100-foot; 30 meter range)
- Wireless all-weather temperature and humidity sensor measures outdoor conditions with precision and accuracy (330-foot; 100-meter range)
- Rainfall totals for current day, previous day, current week, month, year and previous year (inches or millimeters)
- Oncoming Storm alert, plus programmable rain alarm to warn when Flood conditions may be present or when to turn off the sprinklers
- Other features include intelli-time clock, indoor temperature and humidity with all-time high and low records plus timestamp
- Weather resistant 12 inch plastic gauge
- Measures up to 5 inches of rain
- Magnifying acrylic for easy-to-read design
- Dynamic black-blue with gray numbers & markings
- Keyhole bracket fits onto post or fence with screws (not included), or use it as a garden/yard stake
- Set the knob on the front cover and enjoy water temperatures between 86DegreeF (30DegreeC) and 125DegreeF (52DegreeC)
- The three years parts warranty is unique in the industry
- Due to its small dimensions and attractive housing the DHC-E can be left unconcealed in many applications
- Self-emptying rain bucket (empties via internal tilting rocker)
- Rainfall readings: current, 1Hr, 24Hr, 7 days, month, year & total since initial setup
- 24 hour customizable rain alert
- Indoor temperature (toggle with calendar view)
- Indicator icons for signal strength and low battery
- QUALITY: The last rain gauge you'll ever need to buy.
- PRECISE: Accurate to 1/100th of an inch and easy to read. Built to US Weather Bureau standards.
- EASY TO INSTALL: Install the rain gauge on a post with its exclusive "Quick Connect" bracket, which lets you quickly remove the cylinder for easy measurement or cleaning.
- RUGGED: Constructed of heavy duty, UV resistant polycarbonate (no metal parts to rust), this high quality rain gauge will stand up to years of rough weather and full sun without fading or corroding. Heat and frost resistant.
- VERSATILE: The first inch of rain funnels through the 4" diameter top into a specially calibrated measuring tube. Even a light shower registers clearly in increments of 100ths of an inch. Additional rainfall up to a total of 11" is contained in the outer cylinder until measured separately in the calibrated tube.
- The product is 5 inch glass rain gauge
- Easy and simple use kit
- The product is manufactured in china
- Glass tube rain gauge
- Accurately measure up to 5-inch of rainfall
- ClearVu rain & sprinkler gauge with 5" water capacity
- Accurately measures local rainfall and water use from outdoor sprinklers
- Sturdy glass construction resists weather and rust
- Metal spike effortlessly mounts into the ground
- Rain gauge may also be installed on a post
What to Look for Before Buying Rain Gauge?
Types of Rain Gauge
Rain gauges, like all measuring devices, have undergone an irreversible digitization process in recent years: conceived as analog instruments, they too were soon integrated into automatic control and measurement systems.
Leaving aside the by now antiquated analog rain gauges, for digital rain gauges, we can distinguish different construction and implementation typologies.
First of all, there are rain gauges whose operation is linked to a weather station: the user is notified of the start of precipitation using appropriate application software; subsequently, by processing the acquired data, the application allows you to adjust the subsequent watering for your garden.
Then there are the manually operated rain gauges, generally consisting of a graduated container placed at a certain height from the ground using a rod to be fixed to the ground.
Via intermediate between the two previous categories, the electronic rain gauge allows to obtain, by wireless transmission and up to tens of meters away, all the data of interest relating to the most recent atmospheric showers.
Calibration and Precision
Each measuring instrument on the market has a cost directly proportional to the quality, precision, and resolution of its measurement. For the same design technology, the cheapest rain gauges provide the coarsest sizes, while the most expensive ones are the ones that ensure decisive measures more accurate.
Compare the prices to compare how the manufacturer has calibrated the reference graduated scale and the various sensors possibly integrated.
We believe that this aspect of precision is to be particularly taken into consideration when deciding to buy a garden rain gauge to establish, optimize costs, how and how to reduce the supply of water to plants and flowers.
Another element of primary importance that we want to highlight in this guide to choose the best brand of rain gauge is the possibility of integrating it within a home or industrial network for the remote control of various parameters linked, for example, to automated irrigation systems.
Again, of course, it is up to you to find the right compromise between economic and technological aspects: the more the rain gauge can be integrated and adapted to the different types of networks, the more it will respond better to your needs.
How to Use a Rain Gauge?
The rain gauge is a measuring instrument that aims to collect information about the rainfall. It is used in various fields, such as meteorological, hydrogeological, but also in the agricultural and domestic fields. If you don’t know how to use it, we recommend reading this article.
Before using the equipment, it is necessary to identify which model it is since there are mainly three types of products on the market: manual, with electric and electronic sensors. Those with electrical sensors connect to a weather station via software and notify the user of the arrival of rain.
The data acquired by the precipitation are processed, regulating the subsequent watering of the garden or vegetable garden. The manual ones are composed of a graduated container, positioned on a rod.
The electronic rain gauge is a middle ground between the two types: it works wirelessly and returns all the most important information about the latest atmospheric showers.
Do Not Neglect the Instructions for Use
As we have seen, thanks to technology, the rain gauge has evolved not a little, and the most modern include additional functions, which may vary depending on the model. For this reason, it is important to read the manufacturer’s instructions to understand each function and use it correctly.
Read the manual with the tool in front of it, so that you can configure it at the same time you read a certain paragraph. Following the instructions given by the manufacturer of that specific item will avoid inconvenience, malfunction, and waste of time.
Where to Place the Rain Gauge?
Deciding where to place the rain gauge is not a choice to be made in an impromptu way since the correct location is crucial to have accurate data. So take your time and make the right assessments. Avoid places near trees, because they could deviate the trajectory going to compromise the result.
More generally, you will have to position it away from any type of obstacle. Also, the equipment must be positioned at least 0.5 meters from the ground, up to a maximum of 2 meters in height. Stability is also important, with a stronger than usual gust of wind it risks tipping over.
Connection with Devices
The technological and electronic conversion of these devices, among other things, allows the rain gauge to collect data and transmit them remotely to the smartphone, tablet or computer, through applications provided by the manufacturer.
These apps allow the rain meter to connect to a specific website and, in some cases, to the weather stations and then communicate the forecast to you.
To obtain this performance, you must, therefore, install the software on the device on which you want to receive notifications.
After installation, from a smartphone or another device, connect to the rain gauge to check the amount of rain that has recently fallen. Sometimes, those who do not have a smartphone or tablet can take advantage of this service by connecting to the website to have the same information available.
As we said, most of the time, it is possible to connect the rain gauge to mobile devices or the PC, the advantage is also that of being able to obtain data to be compared.
However, if this function is not available, we advise you to write down the information on a notebook so that you can be sure that the rain gauge is working properly.
Reading the instructions will allow you to take full advantage of all the options available—for example, the possibility of controlling the outside temperature or the time and date of the day. Some models act as an alarm. As it is easy to understand, knowing the interface of your device can be very interesting and useful.