Choosing a 4k tv is only the first step. The most recent televisions are increasingly sophisticated and refined products, with very different characteristics, prices, and destinations.
In this guide to choosing the best 4k TV, we have tried to provide some criteria for finding your way in a large and complex market.
We must think that a TV today must dialogue with other devices, connect to the Internet, store apps, and other digital content. All this must be considered before deciding which 4k TV to buy.
Here we had listed out the best 4k TVs that are present below.
- 4K Ultra HD (2160p resolution) - Enjoy breathtaking 4K movies and TV shows at 4 times the resolution of Full HD, and upscale your...
- Alexa voice control - Speak commands into the voice remote with Alexa to control your Fire TV verbally—ask it to watch live TV,...
- Access thousands of shows with Fire TV - Watch over 1 million streaming movies and TV episodes with access to thousands of...
- DTS Studio Sound - This premium audio enhancement suite creates realistic and immersive audio with two-speaker playback that...
- Item arrives in packaging that reveals what’s inside and can’t be hidden.
- Fire TV - Fire TV brings live, over the air TV and all your streaming channels together on one, easy to use home screen. Connect...
- Regza Engine 4k - Regza Engine 4K is Toshiba’s high-performance 4K engine for stunning picture quality. With the ultra-essential...
- 4K resolution - Four times the resolution of Full HD, and four times the detail. With Toshiba 4K TV, you can enjoy...
- Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10* - Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10 transform your TV into an entertainment powerhouse. The image technology...
- Bezel-less Design - The C350 is designed with a gorgeous bezel-less design to give you more viewable screen area.
- Bring movies and shows to life with support for vivid 4K Ultra HD, HDR 10, HLG, and Dolby Digital Plus.
- 4K Ultra HD, HDR 10, and HLG deliver a clearer and more vibrant picture with brighter colors compared to 1080p Full HD.
- Press and ask Alexa to easily find, launch, and control your content, or check the weather, sports scores, and more.
- Stream over 1 million movies and TV episodes with subscriptions to Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, and more.
- Watch live and free TV, play video games, and stream music.
- The Ultimate Curved 4K SUHD Picture powered by the Quantum Dot Color Drive. Fires off a billion more colors than HD TVs for a...
- More than just pitch black, get the best shades of black with Triple Black Technology. Never miss a detail in the dark.
- HDR 1000 mirrors the high contrast and vividness the way movie makers intended
- Advanced contrast, color and sharpness for true-to-life image quality with Supreme UHD Dimming
- Smart 2016 - Use one universal remote to switch from Live TV to streaming seamlessly. Easily access everything you want to watch.
- a5 GEN5 AI PROCESSOR: Enhance your picture and sound with AI from the a5 Gen5 AI Processor..Standby Power :＜0.5 watts
- WEBOS 22: Customize your viewing experience with separate accounts and personalized recommendations for every member of your...
- ULTIMATE STREAMING: Find your faves fast with built-in access to Netflix, Prime Video, Apple TV app, Disney+, HBO Max and instant...
- LG CHANNELS: Discover something new or find your faves with free access to programming on over 300+ LG Channels.
- GAME OPTIMIZER: Make it the best gaming experience by quickly adjusting all your game settings in one location.
- Stunning 4K Quantum Dot Display (QLED) - Makes movies, shows, and live sports pop in brighter, richer, and more lifelike colors.
- Advanced HDR - Scenes leap off the screen in deep, realistic color with Dolby Vision IQ and HDR10+ Adaptive. HDR10 and HLG are...
- Adaptive Brightness - Fire TV automatically optimizes the brightness of movies and shows through a built-in sensor that detects...
- Bolder contrast - Experience deeper darks and brighter whites with full array local dimming in 64 individual zones enhancing...
- Fire TV Ambient Experience - Turns your TV screen into a canvas for displaying over a thousand pieces of free artwork, personal...
- 4K Ultra High Definition: More pixels on the screen produces a more clear and succinct picture making content look more realistic...
- Google TV: The entertainment you love. With a little help from Google. Google TV brings together movies, shows, live TV and more...
- Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10: Innovative visual technology, Dolby Vision, brings the characters to life with darker darks, brighter...
- Game Mode Plus: A collection of technologies come together to create a dynamic gaming experience. A 60Hz panel, variable refresh...
- Sports Mode: With sports mode's preset settings, the television automatically adjusts itself to optimize sports content. Motion is...
- 4K Ultra HD Resolution: Experience incredible detail with 4X the resolution of 1080p Full HDTVs.
- QLED - Quantum Dot Technology with UltraWide Color Gamut: enjoy over a billion colors for richer and more lifelike images.
- HighBright Direct LED Backlight: Q6 models produce brighter images for enhanced viewing experience for all your favorite movies...
- Motion Rate 240 with MEMC Frame Insertion: Combines multiple motion enhancement technologies for exceptional motion clarity
- Game Accelerator 120: With up to fast 120Hz VRR, enjoy more responsive gameplay without lag, designed to keep you at the top of...
How to Choose 4k Tv?
Is Oled Better?
The resolution of a screen indicates the number of pixels, i.e., the number of luminous points that make up the image, like a mosaic. The higher the number, the greater the definition, therefore the detail.
In cinemas, the 4k resolution corresponds to 4096 × 2160 pixels, but on TV screens, the 3840 × 2160 pixel resolution is more frequent.
However, other aspects determine the quality of viewing on a 4k TV: contrast and color rendering, for example, not to mention the audio.
Remaining in the image much depends on the technology adopted for the construction of the display.
In the current market, there are two substantial alternatives to choose from LCD (liquid crystal) screens and OLED screens.
The pixels of the TVs with OLED screens are made up of self-illuminating organic diodes. It is a bit as if every single pixel were an autonomous light bulb, which can be turned on and off individually.
For this reason, the rendering of blacks is particularly effective, and the shadows are etched and deep. The contrast values are, on average, higher, which means, in essence, whiter whites and blacker blacks.
From a technical point of view, OLED screens allow the construction of luminaires with a thickness of fewer than 4 millimeters, with all the advantages that follow.
Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD)
LCD screens have improved a lot lately, and thanks to the LED backlight, they last longer and consume less energy.
They have the advantage of costing less than the Oled models and of guaranteeing excellent overall quality if well constructed.
Halfway between the two, a “third way” has recently appeared. They are called Qled screens, abbreviations, which means Quantum Led.
Despite the assonance with the abbreviation OLED (not accidental, the negative ones claim), these are LCD screens, mainly used on Samsung televisions, which also have a filtering apparatus made up of nanoparticles of quantum dots.
The result translates into a color range that can theoretically be even higher than that of OLEDs, but much depends on the technology that supports the device.
If it is true that the LCD screens do not allow the switching off of the single pixels as happens on the Oled screens, the displays that are backlit with LEDs partially remedy the gap thanks to the “local dimming.”
A liquid crystal screen is structured in such a way as to allow still the light placed behind the panel to filter, although the crystals have “positioned” so as not to let it pass to offer a dark image.
If there is the possibility of completely turning off the LEDs, it is quite clear that this defect can be remedied. It is a subtlety, which many viewers may not be interested in. In any case, not all Led TV sets offer this control tool.
Not only that: even if present, local dimming does not always cover all areas of the screen. In some cases, it is limited to the lateral bands or the lower and upper ones.
The Right Size
The dimensions of television screens are traditionally indicated in inches, where one inch corresponds to about 2.5 cm.
The measure refers to the diagonal of the viewing rectangle: a 40-inch TV, for example, has a diagonal of one meter, and can already be considered a good measure.
Between a 40-inch display and a 50-inch display, there can be several hundred euros of difference in price. If the budget and available spaces allow it, we recommend not to go below 43 “.
In this slice of the market, there is a wide variety of products, even sold online, and the price difference is generally not too expensive.
A 55-inch screen comes much closer to a cinematic experience, mainly if you can position yourself between three and five meters away.
Although they do not appear in our fifty, some models exceed 60 inches. To buy them, however, you must prepare to spend a little less than two thousand euros, for the best products, but some offers slightly exceed the thousand euros.
From this point of view, the Network is the best place to buy, but be careful not to receive at home models that are inadequate for the Italian or, at least, European market: you may have problems with channel tuning and automatic numbering.
How to Use a 4k Tv
In our showcase dedicated to the best 4k TVs, we have tried to combine savings and quality, alternating products at low prices (relatively), but of excellent artistry, with others less cheap and technically superior.
But once you understand how to choose an excellent 4k TV, it is useful to know how to exploit its potential fully.
Whatever 4k TV you have chosen, it is undoubtedly a Smart TV. Your appliance is, therefore, able to connect to the home network via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable.
It allows you to surf the Net and, depending on the operating system installed on the TV, to download the most popular apps dedicated to video streaming.
The best known are Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, TimVision, Chili, NowTV, Dazn (for sports), Infinity and, of course, YouTube, Rai Play, and Mediaset Play.
The televisions, therefore, also differ in the operating system, that is to say in the software, which will allow you to do all these things. Android TV is the TV version of the world’s most popular mobile operating system.
For obvious reasons, it is the one predisposed to communicate better with Android devices, from smartphones to tablets. It is often found on Sony, Sharp, and Philips devices.
Samsung televisions, on the other hand, are usually equipped with Samsung Smart Hub or Tizen. In our opinion, the latter is richer and more functional.
If supported by an adequate processor, it proves to be reactive and flexible and can boast an arsenal of applications that has little or nothing to envy to Android TV.
Even Samsung Smart Hub, however, guarantees an exciting collection of apps and can communicate without problems with mobile phones and other Samsung devices.
Where Can I Find 4k Programs?
On so-called generalist TVs (the historic Rai and Mediaset channels) in 4k, there is little or nothing. There is a 4k Rai channel, broadcast by Tivùsat, which needs, however, an appropriate decoder and a satellite dish.
The decoder may not be necessary, as long as the TV in our possession has some characteristics. It must have a dual tuner, support the DVB-S2 television standard, and the HEVC codec and be certified for viewing the 4K UHD channels of the tivùsat platform.
To find satisfaction with your thirst for Ultra HD content, you probably have to spend a few euros. The new Sky Q platform and Mediaset Premium, for example, have a decent archive of films and other 4k content.
Netflix, the platform for watching movies and streaming TV series, also includes a nice bundle of 4k movies and TV series in its subscription package.
Amazon Prime Video, the platform that free subscribers to the Prime free delivery service offer, offers some titles with Ultra HD definition. The app is downloadable or preloaded on numerous 4k TVs and is accessible from Apple TV.
What Is 4 K Hdr
When scrolling through a list of 4k video content, the acronym HDR is also often found, i.e., High Dynamic Range.
Translated, it means an extended dynamic range and is practically a technology that guarantees a broader range of colors and brightness.
The resolution of an image is obtained by increasing the number of pixels that compose it, while HDR is concerned with improving the quality of individual pixels.
The result should return brighter whites and darker and deeper blacks.
Theoretically, HDR offers a 10-bit color range, which can return about a billion different shades. It is expected to be able to reproduce between 54% and 76% of the colors perceived by the human eye in nature.
The current standard, so to speak, is 8-bit Blu-Ray, which translates into 16 million colors, 35% of those visible.
To ensure that a TV supports this type of technology, and therefore you can fully enjoy HDR video content, the certification found on the labels should suffice, but this is not precisely the case.
HDR is still settling on the market and, for technical reasons that it would be long and complicated to delve into here, it is not said that we can perceive the full potential of an HDR image.
Much still depends on the quality of the screen, and there is also a small war between different standards.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It True that 8k Tvs Exist?
They exist, it is true, and they are already on the market. However, this does not mean that it is advisable to buy them. It is a challenge to the limit of the impossible to find an 8k television that costs less than 4,000 euros.
Assuming that you have no budget problems, you must consider that the contents compatible with such a high resolution are currently unavailable. Of course, you could generate them yourself with an (equally expensive) 8k video camera, and you can always hope for a rapid spread of this format.
Let’s not forget that TV content still travels on a double track, in high definition, and low sensitivity. At the moment, the money spent on an 8k TV would seem frankly “wasted.”
What Is 4k Upscaling?
The term upscaling indicates, in general, the possibility of improving the definition of an image compared to its native resolution.
Let’s explain better. We have a 4k TV, but there are still very few Ultra HD contents. Instead, Full HD ones abound.
Some TV sets (and not only) allow you to transform a Full HD resolution into a 4K one with a gimmick. With what results? It depends on the appliance.
Likewise, upscaling for HDR technology is possible. Also, in this case, the final result is far from that of an image created with this technology.
Are There 4k Blu-Ray Players and 4k Blu-Ray Discs?
Of course, yes. They are, indeed, one of the main sources of very high-resolution content currently available.
The production companies focus on the temporary lack or scarcity of Ultra HD content on the streaming platforms to sell their most popular titles to a user who can not wait to take advantage of his brand new 4k TV.
You can already buy the new Star Wars saga, the Endgame blockbuster of the Avengers series, the cult movie Blade Runner and its recent sequel Blade Runner 2049, and many other titles, often available in HDR version.
To be able to see them, however, you need a compatible Blu-Ray player, and even in this case, the offer is not lacking.
Can I Record from Tv on A Digital Medium?
Some TV sets allow you to record on the internal memory, and others have a function that users do not always notice: the ability to write content from the TV on a Pendrive or external hard disk. A USB port is required for this to be possible, but it is not enough.
Next to the door, you should find a label that specifies whether you can record from there: HDD Rec and PVR (Personal Video Recorder) are the most frequent indications, but often you can read USB Rec / Play, USB Recording, or DVR (Digital Video Recorder).
The TV manuals should dispel any doubts. Know that after connecting your external memory unit, it will undergo a new format. Therefore any previously stored content could be deleted. The new format will make the Pendrive or the disc readable only by your TV.