If you are looking for information on baby walker you should first know that these are among the oldest childcare articles and, without a doubt, they will never stop being part of our life.
Are you wondering why? It is very simple: thanks to them, children strengthen their muscles and can move more in the surrounding environment in an ‘autonomous’ way.
However, they are also highly criticized products, because if used in the wrong way, they can harm the child rather than help him. We thought of creating this guide to answer the most frequent questions about the walker and to help you find the right model for your child.
Here we had listed out the best baby walkers that are present below.
- Removable toy bar with toys
- Large surround tray for food or toys
- Three-position height adjustable
- High back padded seat
- Extra wide base for superior stability
- Musical infant walking toy with 2 ways to play as baby grows: sit & play or stand & walk!
- 3 Smart Stages levels with 75+ songs, sounds & phrases teach the alphabet, shapes, colors, numbers and Spanish words
- 7 hands-on activities including light-up piano keys and nose, roller, spinner, flip page and more
- Easy-grasp handle and sturdy, 4-wheel base helps steady baby's first steps
- For infants and toddlers ages 6-36 months
- 2-IN-1 CONVERTIBLE DESIGN -- Easily converts from seated activity walker to a walk-behind walker for boys and girls! Independent...
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT -- Adjustable seat pad height to grow with your baby. Skid-resistant friction pads on base for child safety. The...
- FUN TOYS & ACTIVITIES -- Entertain baby girl or boy with fun developmental toys: upright flower mirror with crinkle petals and...
- COMPACT FOLD FOR STORAGE -- Easily folds flat for storage and compact enough for your trips away from home. Folded dimensions: 30"...
- EASY CLEAN -- Machine-washable seat pad for quick clean-ups. Wipe plastic parts with a damp cloth using mild soap. One-year...
- 3 child developmental toys with multiple activities
- Module with 12 charming songs and flashing light
- Adjustable baby walker with 3 different heights, tested to ensure each one Provides the best fit
- Extra-wide base designed for superior stability
- Crevice-free, easy wipe activity tray
- Super sized tray with removable, dishwasher-safe tray insert.
- Folds flat for easy, compact storage and travel
- Seat pad is supportive and comfortable, machine washable; Easy to clean with no cracks and crevices.
- Three height positions, swivel front wheels and non-slip stair pads
- Maximum child weight:30 lbs, maximum child height: 33.5 in, inseam between 6.5-8.5 inches; BPA, PVC and Phthalate free
- The versatile design of Tiny Love's 4-in-1 baby walker can be configured as a stationary activity center, pusher, walker, or...
- Featuring 20 different activities, this activity center is tailored to promote cognitive, language, fine motor skills, sensory...
- The removable seat pad is machine washable, making cleanups quick and easy
- Easily store the activity center when it is not in use by nesting it in its outer frame
- This JPM-certified activity center meets ASTM and federal safety standards and includes a one-year limited warranty
- Interactive learning baby walker has a removable play panel; Frustration Free Packaging means it comes in a plain brown box
- Early learning center has 5 piano keys that play music and encourage creativity; wheels work on carpeted and hard floors
- Features 2 colorful spinning rollers, 3 shape sorters, and 3 light-up buttons that develop motor skills
- Pretend telephone handset and mechanical elements enhance role-play fun; 2 AA batteries are included
- Over 70 sing-along songs, music, sound effects and fun phrases; meant for babies and toddlers 9 months to 3 years old
- Imaginative walker transforms every room into a jungle
- Safari-themed walker for boy or girl
- Removable toy station can be used almost anywhere
- 3 height positions grow as your little one does!
- Lights, music and toys turn walking into adventure
- 4 WAYS TO PLAY: Easily converts from baby walker to rocker, stationary activity center or bouncer
- PROMOTES CHILD DEVELOPMENT: The bouncing/jumping action and 360-degree spin keeps baby engaged and entertained while toys...
- GROWS WITH BABY: A three position height adjustment allows this walker to grow with your baby For children weighing up to 25...
- SIZE: Dimensions: 25.98 Inches x 29.53 Inches x 25.2 Inches Machine washable seat pad Convenient quick release toy tray is ideal...
- SAFETY TESTED: JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by ASTM
- 2 swing-open activity trays with 4 fun Winnie the Pooh themed toys and 12 songs
- 3-position height adjustment
- Oversized snack/play tray. Holds child up to 30 pounds
- Sturdy wheels work on floors or carpets
- Machine washable padded seat. Holds upto 32 inches
- 3 modes allow the 3 Ways to Play Walker - Ford F-150 to grow with baby
- 2 can play at once with the normal walker mode and push-behind mode
- Safety enhanced with rubber feet that brake
- Steer baby into imaginative play with removable steering wheel play station featuring authentic truck sounds, lights and gear...
- Adjust the frame to 3 different height positions to keep little toes at the perfect height
Buying Guide to Select the Best Baby Walker
What Are the Benefits that A Baby Walker Brings to The Child?
Every purchase we make for our child is made with his good in mind: it could not be otherwise, on the other hand. In the case of the walker, as is the case with many other games, a balance is sought between fun and learning. How? Let’s see it below:
- With daily use of the walker, the child will exercise and strengthen the leg muscles.
- This article allows the child to move independently, which arouses curiosity about the environment around him.
- Normally, it has a table with activities, with which the child develops basic intellectual skills.
- A baby walker is a safe place for the child to play.
In this way, in addition to participating in the physical development of the child, we also help him in his emotional (for the autonomy it brings) and cognitive (depending on the activities included in the walker) development. It is one of the most complete accessories, ideal for children from 6 months of age.
Is the Walker Used to Teach Children to Walk?
This is one of the great myths that both pediatricians and other specialists in the field are tired of continuing to deny. There are elements that can lead us to make this mistake, but we repeat: the walker is not used to teach children to walk. Now we bring you the main functions of this article:
- It allows the child to move freely around the house.
- It helps strengthen leg muscles.
- It entertains the baby thanks to the activities it includes.
Neither one more, nor less. After all, it is an interactive toy that also offers the possibility for the child to move around without taking any risks. But no, in no case do they teach walking. If this is your goal, you will have to opt for a first steps game.
From What Age Do You Start Using a Baby Walker?
It is advisable not to start using the walker until the baby is able to stand straight with his back. Normally this occurs between six and eight months of age, but it obviously depends on each child. A good alternative is to ask for confirmation from your pediatrician, to be completely sure.
Up to What Age Is It Recommended to Use the Walker?
As we have already commented, the walker is designed to strengthen the leg muscles and to help them get used to maintaining vertical posture, not to learn to walk. It is really important to take it off at the right time, in order not to prevent the child from developing his motor skills in the right way.
Furthermore, using the walker more than necessary should make the child accustomed to having support and maybe late in wanting to walk alone.
This means that when the child is already able to stand alone, even leaning, it is time to say goodbye to the walker. This will have already completed its function and now is the time for the child to strive for balance on his own. In this way, he can practice entering his next phase.
What Does a Baby Walker Need to Be Safe?
Another of the parents’ main concerns is always about safety. Although all baby items are designed not to endanger them, a number of factors still need to be considered before you start using them. Let’s see which are the most important ones related to baby walkers:
- First of all, pay attention to the wheels. These represent the basis of the walker since the goal is to move with them. The wheels must be hard and resistant and, obviously, they must not get stuck during the movement.
- It has a safety belt to keep the baby locked in the correct position while avoiding getting out of the walker.
- If it has safety barriers, it’s even better. Not all models have this feature. However, it is very useful for the most restless children.
- The newer models have an anti-step safety brake system, a feature that can save you some fright if you have stairs in the house.
Obviously, we must not forget that adult vigilance is paramount. Although the baby walker is created specifically to give the child more autonomy by allowing him to move from one place to another, it is always important to check it to avoid any type of accident. Remember that little ones have no sense of danger.
Does the Walker Need Special Maintenance?
In fact, no. Just make sure it is always as clean as possible. But it is more about the health of the child than the walker itself. Sometimes manufacturers make the seat covered with a machine washable cover. Also, by wiping a wet rag over the activity area, you will remove all the dust.
How to Choose Best Baby Walker
Surely, during the search for the right baby walker, you will think and rethink which model best suits your baby. We advise you to consider certain purchase criteria that will greatly help you make the most appropriate choice. Now we explain what they are:
First of all, a fundamental aspect to consider is the age of your child, whether it is the appropriate one to start using a baby walker or not. Remember that it is important that, before giving your baby this object, that he knows how to keep his back straight and stay upright.
If the time has already come to keep up, even if he needs a foothold, he will no longer have to use this article and you can move on to a first steps game. For this reason, the recommended age for baby walkers is between six and eight months.
When we talk about the design factor, we are referring to two fundamental aspects. On the one hand, the walker must have an interesting aesthetic for the child, that is to say, that he calls his attention, and that makes him want to play with it. In this sense, bright colors, sound elements, and lights usually work.
On the other hand, however, we refer to the activities that the product includes. These can be very different from each other and, at the same time, focus on a specific theme. At this point, it’s definitely up to you to choose, but always thinking about the personality of your little one.
It is an article that the child will use day after day, with which he will move around the house. We cannot, therefore, not think of its resistance. It must be a tough baby walker, resistant to all the blows that it will surely receive when the little one is used to using it.
We recommend in these cases to use those made of plastic. The characteristics of this material make it long-lasting and easy to clean. Just wipe a wet rag over the surface to make it look like new.
Another of the requirements that our walker must respect is that it is made of materials that do not bother the little one. On the one hand, these materials must not cause damage to his skin, which as you know tends to be easily irritated. Particular attention should be paid to the seating area.
It is precisely for this reason that this area is usually covered with a fabric lining, which can be removed and machine washed when needed. Furthermore, it is important that the whole walker is made of quality materials, as we said in relation to the previous criterion.
Finally, let’s talk about one of the most important factors. To date it is difficult not to find products in accordance with the law, so you don’t have to comb through every item you want to buy.
Surely though, once you have the baby walker in your hands, you have to check that everything is in place, not only before using it for the first time but every day or as often as possible. You must, for example, check the pieces that can come off or the cracks where the baby could accidentally put his fingers.