You’ve probably heard of the incredible benefits of chia seeds for lowering cholesterol and taking care of heart health. But are you sure you know all its properties? Do you know how to use them to make the most of their nutritional and functional value?
In addition to being essential ingredients in a cardioprotective diet, these seeds offer other advantages ranging from facilitating weight loss and regulating intestinal function to reducing blood pressure and delaying aging.
Here we had selected some of the best chia seeds that are really high in nutrition.
- NUTRIENT POWER: This omega powerhouse is full of other useful nutrients that will help men and women live a better life. In every...
- SIMPLY ORGANIC: Our Organic Chia Seeds are gluten-free, nut-free, low-carb, non-GMO, making them a great addition to your pantry,...
- WITH OMEGA-3 and MORE: Chia seeds are loaded with 5350mg of omega-3, 10g of fiber, which is 7% of the DV recommended amount for...
- FLAVOR NEUTRAL FAVORITE: Chia seeds are a kitchen essential that many people don’t know about. You can add chia seeds to just...
- BLEND, BAKE, OR SHAKE: When it comes to the uses for our chia seeds, the possibilities are endless. Mix into baked goods like...
- ✔️ Plant-Based Omegas — Omega fatty acids are important fats, but when following a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, it can be...
- ✔️ Nutrient-Dense Superfood — These delicious superseeds are a great way to add a boost of vegan-friendly nutrients to...
- ✔️ Perfect for Smoothies, Salads and More — With a neutral flavor, chia seeds can be easily mixed into drinks, savory dishes...
- ✔️ Vegan Protein — Looking for a versatile plant-based protein to incorporate in your diet? Mix some chia seeds into your...
- ✔️ USDA Organic and Non-GMO — Viva Naturals chia seeds are Non-GMO Project Verified, plus USDA Organic, Vegan, Gluten-Free,...
- Named after the Mayan word for “strength," the tiny chia seed is a substantial source of protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and...
- A good source of magnesium, calcium and iron, Navitas Organics Chia Seeds also provide 11% DV fiber and 2g protein per serving.
- Chia Seeds are abundant in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3's are are revered for their anti-inflammatory properties and essential for...
- Make chia pudding (the tiny seeds expand when soaked) or add to salads, oatmeal, dips, smoothies, and baked goods.
- USDA Organic, Kosher, Non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free, 19 Servings.
- ORGANIC CHIA SEEDS (SALVIA HISPANICA) - 16oz Resealable Bag (1 Pound)
- IMPORTED FROM PARAGUAY - This bag contains certified organic, Chia Seeds from Paraguay.
- HEALTHY & DELICIOUS - Sprinkle onto salads and granola or stir it into your favorite smoothie.
- CERTIFIED USDA ORGANIC - All our products are certified USDA Organic by California Certified Organic Farmers (CCOF), a leader in...
- LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK - If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase of our Chia Seeds for any reason, just email us and...
- USDA Certified Organic Black Chia Seeds
- Batch Tested and Verified Gluten Free
- Great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, antioxidants and fiber
- Product of Latin America, Packed in California
- Add these versatile seeds to your favorite juices, sprinkle them on salads and oatmeal, or give your smoothie bowl a little chia...
- GIVE BACK - Your purchase will help feed 250 kids three days a week through our Carrington Cares program. These children are a...
- NUTRIENT RICH - Our organic whole chia seeds contain the richest plant source of Omega 3’s, containing more Omega 3’s than...
- MILD FLAVOR - Carrington Farms organic whole chia seeds have a very mild flavor and can be added to salads, cereal, yogurt and...
- DIET FRIENDLY - Our organic whole chia seeds are suitable food for many diets including Paleo, Gluten Free, and Vegan.
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC
- Ideal for topping soups, salads or baking and cooking applications
- When added to liquid, chia seeds swell and absorb up to 12 times their weight
- A good source of protein, calcium and iron
- Crunchy and wholesome
- Keep cool and dry
- Flax Chia
- Gluten Free
- Contains 1 - 12oz Organic Black Chia Seed Bags
- Tiny chia seeds deliver a superfood boost of heart-healthy Omega-3, calcium, complete protein, potassium and gut-healthy prebiotic...
- Rich in minerals, including magnesium, copper, iron, and thiamine
- Quality Ingredients: All of our products are USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Vegan, Gluten Free, and Kosher
- Add a superfood kick to any meal with organic chia seeds - excellent for salads, yogurt and smoothie topping, thickening soups,...
- TOP-QUALITY BLACK SEEDS WITH SMOOTH, RICH TASTE: Roots Circle chia seeds are carefully washed and packed in a nut-free,...
- NATURALLY RICH IN ALL ESSENTIAL DAILY NUTRIENTS: 100% natural and raw, each serving of chia seeds packs the recommended daily...
- FLAVOR NEUTRAL & EXTREMELY VERSATILE STAPLE: No pantry is complete without our mild, antioxidant-laden, ready-to-eat seeds. Sneak...
- 8X MORE OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS THAN SALMON: Beyond keto, paleo and whole30 friendly, chia is an essential building block of bone,...
- 32OZ AIRTIGHT CONTAINER MAINTAINS FRESHNESS: Our chia seed bulk pack comes in a stable square container with a comfortable side...
- USDA Certified Organic, Earth Kosher, Non-GMO, Raw, Gluten Free, and Vegan Friendly.
- We source only the cleanest chia seeds that are debris free, and fresh, directly from the growers.
- Chia seeds are a great source of calcium, healthy omega fats, protein, antioxidants, and dietary fiber.
- Terrasoul Superfoods sources the freshest and highest quality superfoods from all over the planet. Our mission is to make these...
- 100% Money-Back Satisfaction Guarantee - We stand behind our products and offer a 30-day money back guarantee, backed by an...
- Good source of fiber
- Mild and nutty flavor
- Ground chia seeds, a nutritional powerhouse used by ancient Aztecs and Mayans
- Good source of ala omega-3 essential fatty acid that helps support heart health
- 4 grams of dietary fiber per serving
- Higher in antioxidant activity than blueberries
- Neutral flavor means chia seeds can be easily blended into smoothies or your other favorite foods without affecting the taste
Buyer Guide to Choose the Best Chia Seeds
What Exactly Are Chia Seeds?
Chia seed (Salvia hispanica L) is a millennial food that was used by the Aztecs and Mayans for its nutritional and medicinal properties. These seeds are very small, oval, and grayish brown.
On average, 100 grams provide:
- 550 calories
- 12-16 grams of complex carbohydrates, slow absorption
- 28-32 grams of dietary fiber, mainly insoluble
- 20 grams of excellent quality protein
- 34 grams of fat (Omega 3 alpha-linolenic and Omega 6 linoleic)
- No cholesterol, like all plant-based foods
- Minerals: calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus
- Antioxidants: flavonoids, chlorogenic acid, and caffeic acid
As a result of scientifically proven benefits after regular consumption of chia seeds, supplements in the form of powder, capsules, and oil have been developed to facilitate their consumption. In this way, certain nutritional principles are concentrated to achieve certain health effects.
What Are the Advantages of Daily Chia Consumption?
Chia is a natural treasure for health. Its properties improve the functioning of various organs of the body:
- Heart: lower risk of heart attack and arrhythmias.
- Blood vessels: reduce blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels. The excess of these values damages the structure of the blood vessels and is considered a risk factor for the development of heart and brain diseases, as well as for circulatory problems (varicose veins, cellulite, venous thrombosis).
- Brain: decrease in the incidence of cerebrovascular problems (CVA) and neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Cognitive function improvement.
- Skin: delays cellular aging of the skin and, consequently, improves the appearance and reduces the formation of wrinkles.
- Intestine: helps treat constipation and acts as a prebiotic, “nourishing” the normal and healthy bacterial flora present in the intestine.
- Stomach: it stays in the stomach for a long time and occupies a lot of volumes, which translates into a greater sensation of fullness and less appetite.
- Bones and joints: excellent calcium intake to strengthen bones and promote bone mineralization. Omega 3s have anti-inflammatory properties and help reduce joint inflammation and pain.
- Liver: prevents and assists in the treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver.
Can Chia Seeds Help You Lose Weight?
Chia is a great ally for losing weight because it reduces appetite, but again, it all depends on how you consume it. Capsules and oil do not have the satiating power of whole seeds and powder.
This slows down digestion and makes the person who has consumed it satisfied for several hours, without the desire to “spiccato” food between meals. It is essential to accompany the intake of chia with plenty of water to promote the formation of gel in the stomach and take advantage of its satiating ability.
Why Is It Said that Chia and Its Supplements Are Cardioprotective?
The cardioprotective effects of this seed and its supplements are due to two groups of nutrients:
- Omega 3 and 6: both omega 3 and omega 6 have a lipid-lowering effect. That is, they reduce blood cholesterol levels.
- Omega 3: has other beneficial functions for the heart, i.e. it reduces the risk of arrhythmias and triglycerides and prevents the formation of clots.
- Antioxidants: flavonoids, chlorogenic acid, vitamin E, and caffeic acid are powerful antioxidants present in chia seeds. They neutralize the free radicals that generate oxidative damage in the cells of the heart and blood vessels.
Is It Possible to Replace Omega 3 in Fish with Omega 3 in Chia Seeds?
This is a very common belief, but the answer is NO. There are different types of omega 3 fats: chia contains alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), while bluefish (sardine, herring, salmon, mackerel) provides docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). All three are essential and do not replace each other.
What Is the Best Way to Use Chia to Improve the Appearance of The Skin?
The maximum benefits of chia to delay the cellular aging of the skin are obtained by consuming the whole seed or in powder form, since both retain all the antioxidant compounds:
- Vitamin E (tocopherol)
- Chlorogenic acid
- Caffeic acid
The latter two are used in facial rejuvenation treatments. Undoubtedly, aging is a natural and irreversible process, but it is also true that this process is accelerated by oxidative stress, by a poor quality diet, by a sedentary lifestyle, by environmental pollutants and smoke.
Are Chia Seeds Recommended for Treating Constipation?
Chia seeds, whole or crushed, are rich in insoluble and soluble fiber. The insoluble fiber is found in greater proportion and is responsible for the increase in intestinal peristalsis (movement) and the acceleration of the evacuation of the stool.
For its part, the soluble fiber of chia absorbs a large amount of water and gel, providing moisture to the fecal material, thus facilitating its expulsion. This type of fiber represents a moderate intestinal stimulus, which prevents or treats constipation, without causing colic, swelling, or flatulence.
What Do You Mean When You Call Chia a Prebiotic?
Soluble chia fiber can be fermented by the bacterial flora of the colon (the last portion of the intestine), which stimulates the growth of beneficial bacteria and limits the development of pathogens. Therefore this seed can be considered a prebiotic.
The prebiotic activity of chia regulates the intestinal function and inhibits the growth of cancer cells in the colon. To take advantage of the prebiotic benefits of chia, it must be consumed whole or in powder form.
What Is the Recommended Daily Dose of Chia?
It is recommended not to exceed 20 grams of whole or dried chia seeds in the case of adults. Children older than 2 years can consume chia, but never in quantities greater than 5 grams per day.
An excess of chia can cause digestive discomfort (diarrhea, bloating, colic, flatulence, or pain) and some cases of itchy skin have also been documented. In relation to capsules and chia oil, it is advisable to consume 1 to 3 capsules per day and 1 tablespoon, respectively.
When Is the Best Time of Day to Consume Chia Seeds or Supplements?
There is no fixed time to consume chia, but in the case of supplements in capsules or oils, the habit of taking them every day at the same time is useful. For example, for lunch or dinner.
Why Is Chia Powder Recommended for Vegan Sportsmen?
Chia is food in all respects from a nutritional point of view, as it is composed of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals, calcium, potassium, and magnesium, which are essential for muscle function
Since vegans cannot consume whey protein, chia is often used in shakers for vegan athletes, as a pre or post-workout snack. In these cases, it is preferable that it is in powder form because it requires better digestive work and is assimilated more quickly than chia in whole seeds.