One of the simplest and cheapest upgrades of your racing bike is the change of the handlebar tape. The impact is no small matter: the aesthetics and even the visual impact of the bicycle can change considerably.
But the choice of the handlebar tape does not just boil down to a mere aesthetic question: on the market there are several models, made with different materials, to be used in dedicated contexts. In this article, we will see how a handlebar tape is made, the materials used and the correct selection criteria.
Here we will be listing the top 13 best handlebar tapes.
- EVA Foam material with embossed “BV” logo provides comfortable and anti-slip grip.
- Ultra-light and durable quality absorbs shock and vibration during cycling.
- Fade, water, and UV-radiation resistant.
- 3M adhesive backing is easy to install.
- Includes 2 handlebar end plugs and 2 finishing tapes
- Includes: 2-Super Sticky Kush tape rolls. 2-Aluminum Laser Etched Powder Coated Star Plugz. 2-High End Rubberized Finish Tapes
- Material: PU-Length: 2160mm Width: 30mm Thickness: 3mm
- Super Sticky PU (top layer): Superior hand feel with long lasting performance
- Synthetic microfiber fabric
- 3mm tape width
- Includes Brooks England's vulcanized rubber end plugs
- Easy to install
- SUPERIOR GRIP – 83 inches of hexagon patterned bartape wrap with silicone textured surface for better grip and control
- SOFT AND COMFORTABLE – Shock absorbing base material creates cushion and added comfort during long bicycle rides while delivering exceptional grip
- LIGHT AND FLEXIBLE – Lightweight flexible material contours handle bar surface for perfectly wrapped handlebars, aerobars or bullhorn
- WEAR RESISTANT – Designed for comfort and performance without sacrificing durability or steering, perfect for road bikes or any discipline of cycling with drop bar
- EASY INSTALLATION – 2100 mm (83 inches) long adhesive backing with tapered edges for easy installation and includes handlebar end plugs and finishing tapes
- 1.>VALUE PACK BIKE HANDLEBAR TAPE --Package includes 2 ABS plastic bar plugs and 2 handlebar tape.(2000mm long by 30mm wide).
- 2.>COMFORTABLE and ANTI-SLIP GRIP DESIGN---This bike handlebar tapes made of absorbent and Soft Material can effectively mitigate the shock from the road and minimize hand fatigue on Long Rides.
- 3.>HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL---Our EVA road bike handlebar tape is Ultra-light and durable quality absorbs shock and vibration during cycling.
- 4.>EASY TO INSTALL---Also this bike handlebar tapes easy to install and convenient to wrap and re-wrap to correct the position. You may worry it can't stay on. It's no problem if you strength enough to get a tight wrap with no gap.
- 5.>WEAR RESISTANT –Our EVA Road Bike Handlebar Tap Designed for comfort and performance without sacrificing durability or steering.
- SUPERIOR GRIP - Advanced polyurethane surface with wave pattern offers grip and control whether rain or shine
- SOFT AND COMFORTABLE – Layered tape with padded shock absorbing base material creates cushion and added comfort during long bicycle rides while delivering exceptional grips
- LIGHT AND FLEXIBLE - Lightweight flexible material wraps bar surface for perfectly wrapped handlebars, aerobars or bullhorn
- WEAR RESISTANT - Designed for comfort and performance without sacrificing durability or steering, perfect for road bikes or any discipline of cycling with drop bar
- EASY INSTALLATION - Perfect amount of stretch for easy installation and includes handle bar end plugs and matching textured finishing tape
- Material: polyurethane, cork
- Compatibility: drop-bar handlebars
- Claimed Weight: 2.4oz (68g)
- Manufacturer Warranty: limited
- SUPER SOFT MATERIAL - EVA tape imbedded with real cork for superior grip and cushion.
- GOOD PERFORMANCE - Shock and Sweat absorbent, tearproof and stable.
- SAFER AND MORE COMFORTABLE - Skid proof design help you be safe and comfortable when riding in the rain or other wet environment.
- EASY TO INSTALL - With adhesive backing, handlebar end plugs and finishing tape help you install your tape in 3 steps.
- WIDE USAGE - 1.18” Width and 6.6’ Length suitable for most kinds of bike, including Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, BMX Bikes.
- STURDY AND CONFIDENT GRIPPING POWER - created by bike riders for bike riders Alien Pros Bicycle PU bicycle handlebar Tape features a durable frosted bike tape skin that absorbs sweat and provides a long-lasting "grippy" feel
- ABSOLUTELY NO-SLIP IN ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS - made of top PU foam material at optimal thickness Alien Pros bicycle handle bar tape provides a soft touch and the just-right amount of padding to your road bicycle handles with strong anti-slip functions in all weathers
- LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK at Alien Pros we strive to be the best road bike handlebar tape bike bar tape solution in the Galaxy if you are not 101% satisfied with your product simply let us know and we'll make it right for you immediately
- Set of 2 ROLLS + 2 END CAPS + IDEAL DIMENSIONS each PU handlebar tape is 78.7'' or 2 meters in length 1.18'' or 3cm in width and 0.11'' or 3MM in thickness plenty length to wrap both of your bicycle handlebar grips easily
- FULL ADHESIVE GEL BACK HASSLE-FREE INSTALLATION easy installation with the flexible and self-adhesive gel bar tape - simply peel wrap and seal - then enjoy an awesome comfortable bike ride with your fresh new handles!
- 【Comfortable and Anti-slip Grip: 】The Bike Handlebar Tapes made of soft EVA material that it is shock absorption to make riding more comfortable.
- 【Ultra-light and Durable: 】The Bicycle Bar Tape only 3 oz for 2 rolls that you will not fell any weight on your bike, top EVA material make it more durable and Sturdy.
- 【Easy to Install: 】The bicycle handlebar grip tape with Adhesive backing and handle bar end plugs is easy to wrap on your bike without any extra tool.
- 【Wear Resistant : 】Designed with alveolate silicone outer frame for wear resistant and sweat absorbing.
- 【Multi-use: 】This Handlebar Tapes is perfect for road Bike Handlebar, also suitable for fishing rod, chair armrest, steering wheel, golf cart, etc.
- Package includes 4 rolls bike tapes, 4pcs handlebar end plugs and 4pcs finishing tapes.
- EVA Foam material handlebar tape provides comfortable and anti-slip grip.
- With adhesive backing is easy to install.
- Light and durable bicycle bar tape.
- Perfect for road bikes or any discipline of cycling bar and stroller/racket/fishing rod etc.
- Handlebar Tape: PU Leather (Surface)/ EVA Foam (Liner) , Plug is made by ABS plastic with metal reflective coating.
- Size : Length about 79'', 1.2'' (Width) * 0.11''(Thickness)
- Breathable, Anti-slippery performance, Sweat-absorbent and High tensile strength
- Cushiony, Soft Material can effectively mitigate the shock from the road and minimize hand fatigue on Long Rides.
- Easy to install and without back adhesive, convenient to wrap and re-wrap to correct the position.
- Silicone Self Fusing Bicycle Handlebar Self Bonding Repair Tape, 10 ft Roll - Domain Cycling
- Self fusing: Only sticks to itself. Does not have any adhesive. One-time use, once it sticks, it's stuck!
- Perfect for use instead of normal black/electrical tape for Handlebar Wrap finishing. Will not unpeal or leave a sticky residue like normal electrical tape!
Things to Consider Before Best Handlebar Tapes
Anatomy of A Handlebar Tape
The handlebar tape (in English “bar tape”), is a strip of fabric rolled upon itself, which must be applied to the racing bend according to specific criteria.
The task of the tape is not only to complete the aesthetics of the bike but also allows you to cover the fold (protecting it from oxidation), offers grip on the hands and has a shock-absorbing effect, which helps reduce the vibrations transmitted to the wrist and therefore avoid the development of technopathy on the hands.
Tape: usually there are two rolled strips, to be applied on each side of the fold. The external part may present drawings or serigraphs, while the internal part is equipped with a band of glue (protected by a paper tape that must be removed), which prevents the video from moving when we grasp it with your hands once applied to the fold;
• Cable tie strip: a small band of tape that should be applied to cover the straps of the TSIs;
• Adhesive: to fix the video once it reaches the horizontal part of the fold. Often this adhesive is either not present or is replaced by electrical tape;
• Caps: to be fixed inside the hole on the crease, they prevent dirt from getting into the fold, and the video starts to tear, keeping it in position;
The cotton handlebar tapes are strips of machine-spun fabric. The ribbons in this material are soft and very thin and have an external wrinkled part due to the mechanical spinning.
Cotton has been the only material (along with leather) used on racing bikes for decades. The application is not simple, because being very thin it tends to make creases.
It has an aesthetically very nice effect, but being subtle the absorption of vibrations is reduced to a minimum. It is an obligatory choice for those who want to restore an old racing bike or give a vintage effect to their cycle;
Gel tapes are part of the “new generation” of products, which have supplanted the use of cotton tapes on the bikes of professionals and amateurs.
It is a strip of plastic material, externally coated with a gel layer. Usually, these ribbons have the central part covered in gel, while the lateral bands do not have it.
A solution that makes the application very easy and allows you to make the overlaps between one passage and another easily.
The gel coating offers comfort and excellent damping of vibrations, however, tends to increase the diameter of the handlebar, creating problems for those with small hands or struggling to have firm and robust grips;
The EVA polymer (an acronym for Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) is a flexible and elastic synthetic plastic fibre. The handlebar tapes made of this material are therefore easy to apply and offer comfort to the palms of the hands since they tend to deform when compressed (this material is used for the soles of running shoes).
They also offer excellent grip (thanks also to deformation) and have a slower degradation, lasting longer than other materials;
The Intended Use of The Handlebar Tapes
One of the questions that should be asked when buying the handlebar tape is: “What should I do with it?”. This is because even an element that may appear secondary like the handlebar tape, often relegated to mere aesthetic purposes, has an impact on performance and comfort.
The handlebar represents, after the pedals and the saddle, the third and final point of contact between the man and the bicycle, so the choice of the belt should not be limited to the colour matching the saddle. Wrong decisions can have negative impacts on comfort and safety, offering uncomfortable and unstable outlets.
Absorption of vibrations: the handlebar is the final term of the impacts on the front wheel, which therefore discharge on the muscles of the hand and the wrist.
For this reason, if you suffer from the numbness of the hands or if you face paths that involve disconnected roads (an example of all is the Paris-Roubaix) you must apply a thick tape, which can reduce vibrations and increase absorption. In this case, the best solution is a gel tape;
if you have small hands, problems with your fingers or you suffer from tingling after some time spent squeezing the handlebar.
You must choose a tape that will not increase the effort required and at the same time decrease the vibrations. This is why cotton tapes are not recommended because they are too thin. The best solution is the EVA tapes;
Extreme Conditions of Use
If you turn in conditions of heavy rain or excessive heat, you must use a tape capable of reducing slipping and at the same time allowing the evacuation of water and sweat from your hands. The best solution is microfibre tapes;
Ease of Application
If you have never applied a handlebar tape and are afraid of making a mistake or not being able, it is better to opt for a video that is easy and quick to apply. To avoid, therefore, the leather tapes, too hard, and those in cotton, which tend to make creases. The best solution are those in microfiber and gel;