Choosing the best WiFi repeater is not easy because, especially in this sector, the factors and characteristics to consider are manifold. For this reason, we decided to tell you about the guidelines to follow to make the best choice, and then move on to a real buying guide, with the best WiFi repeaters listed according to the price range.
WiFi repeaters, or range extenders, are devices that amplify a router’s WiFi signal. It may happen, especially if you had a very large house or with very thick walls, that you need to expand the WiFi network signal, in order to reach even the most remote corners of the house, where with only the modem/router cannot connect to the network. The repeaters are also compatible with those who use a connection with fiber optic cables, the new technology that allows you to navigate at a faster speed.
Lets move on to a real buying guide, with the best WiFi repeaters listed on the basis of reviews and top selling.
- Extend Wi-Fi Coverage - Boost Internet Wi-Fi coverage up to 1200 square feet and connects up to 20 devices - Compatible with Wi-Fi Router, Gateway, Access Point (2.4GHz - 300Mbps / 5GHz - 433Mbps)
- Eliminate Wi-Fi Dead Zones - Enjoy Lag-Free Connection to any type of devices, including wired devices via Fast Ethernet port. System Requirements - Microsoft Windows 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7, 8, 10, Mac OS, NetWare, UNIX or Linux
- Stay Connected - Expand Wi-Fi Coverage for your Smart Phones, Smart TV, Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, Web Browsing, Alexa Echo, Ring and more
- Easy Set Up - 2 Simple taps and you are ready to connect, smart indicator light helps to install in best optimal location
- OneMesh Technology - Enables the creation of a OneMesh network for seamless roaming when paired with the Archer A7 Router (more devices to be updated in the future)
- Extended wireless coverage: Adds WiFi range coverage up to 1000 square feet, and connects up to 15 devices such as laptops, smartphones, speakers, IP cameras, tablets, IoT devices, and more
- AC750 WIFI speed: Provides up to 750Mbps performance using dual band and patented FastLane technology
- Universal compatibility: Works with any wireless router, gateway, or cable modem with wifi. The product may not be compatible with routers or gateways with firmware that has been altered, is based on open source programs, or is non standard or outdated
- Wired ethernet port: Simply plug in game consoles, streaming players, or other nearby wired devices using the one 10/100M port for maximum speed
- Safe & secure: Supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols
- Extend Wi-Fi Coverage - Boost Internet Wi-Fi Coverage up to 1500 Square feet and connects up to 25 devices - Compatible with Wi-Fi Router, Gateway, Access Point ( 2.4GHz - 300Mbps / 5GHz - 867Mbps )
- Fast Ethernet Port: Experience wired speed and reliability anywhere in your home by connecting your favorite device to the fast ethernet port.
- Access Point Mode: The Ethernet port of RE315 can easily turn your wired Internet connection into a wireless access point. It can also function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices, like Blu-ray player, game console or smart TV
- Universal Compatibility: The RE315 range extender is compatible with all Wi-Fi-enabled devices and WiFi routers or WiFi Access Points.
- Supports TP-Link OneMesh - Creates a Mesh network by connecting to a OneMesh router for seamless whole-home coverage, like Archer A7, Archer AX21
- Extend Wi-Fi Coverage - Boost Internet Wi-Fi Coverage up to 800 square feet - Compatible with any Wi-Fi Router, Gateway, Access Point
- Eliminate Wi-Fi Dead Zones - Enjoy Lag-Free connection to any type of devices, including wired devices via Ethernet Port
- Stay connected - Expand Wi-Fi coverage for your Smart Phones, Smart TV, Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, Web Browsing, Alexa Echo, Ring and more
- Easy Set Up - 2 simple taps and you are ready to connect, smart indicator light helps to install in best optimal location
- Single Band 2.4GHz - 2 external Antennas with MIMO technology for improved range versus standard range extenders
- Extend Wi-Fi Coverage - Boosts Internet Wi-Fi Coverage up to 2000 Square feet and connects up to 32 devices - Compatible with any Router, Gateway, Access Point (2.4GHz - 450Mbps / 5GHz - 1300Mbps)
- Eliminate Wi-Fi Dead Zones - Enjoy Lag-Free connection to any type of devices, including wired devices via Gigabit Ethernet Port
- Stay connected - Expand coverage for your phone (Galaxy, iPhone, Android etc.), Media Streaming, Gaming, Web Browsing, Alexa, Echo, Ring and more
- Easy Set Up - Smart indicator light helps to install in best optimal location. 3 adjustable external antennas for superior coverage throughout the home
- RE450 is PCMag's Editors Choice Winner. Operating Temperature: 0°C to 30°C (32°F to 86°F)
- 【Extend WiFi Signal to Dead Zone】- Stable WiFi Signal Booster wireless internet amplifier full coverage, eliminate home WiFi dead zones. You will now be able to surf the internet, watch videos, play games, and video chat anywhere in your home without worry about getting stuck or dropping the Internet(US Plug).
- 【Supports 2 Working Modes】- Wi-Fi Extender has 2 Ethernet Ports with Repeater/AP, can easily turn your wired Internet connection into a wireless access point. It can also function as a wireless adapter to connect any Ethernetenabled wired devices, like Blu-ray player, game console, desktop or smart TV. Which can easily meet different needs.
- 【Wide Compatibility】- The Range Extender is compatible with all Wi-Fi-enabled devices and WiFi routers or WiFi Access Points. All Wi-Fi extenders are designed to increase or improve Wi-Fi coverage, not to directly increase speed.
- 【Quick and Easy Setup】- It can easily extend the wireless coverage by pressing One-touch WPS Button on Your Existing Router. On almost any devices, including Windows/Android/iOS mobile platforms.
- 【Safe Network Access】- This Wifi Booster can maximize the network security, ensure your network safety, prevent others stealing your net, protect your important data and avoid the interference and privacy problems of Wi-Fi. Please contact us freely if you need any further assistance.
- Repeater/AP modes for extending wifi or create wifi hotspot, watch video on line,play games, online shopping without interference Activate passion for your life, mobile devices at full signal, wall mounted design flexible to place and 7 steps to finish setup
- High speed and high range coverage to boost the wireless coverage in all WLAN networks ,create a stronger signal with transmission rate up to 300Mbps.
- Designed with mobility and portability,little gadget with great value, One-touch wireless security encryption with WPS button
- Fast ethernet port – Instantly turn youtr wired device like print server, game consoles, streaming players etc into wireless one, reaching 10/100M wired speed.
- WiFi speed Provides 2.4G band Wi-Fi access up to 300Mbps with Wi-Fi standard - 802.11b/g/n technology. Wi-Fi booster – Repeater mode boosts wireless signal to previously unreachable or hard-to-wire areas flawlessly. AP mode easily turn your wired internet connection into a wireless access point
- Extend Wi-Fi Coverage - Boost Internet Wi-Fi coverage up to 1200 Square feet and connects up to 20 devices - Compatible with Wi-Fi Router, Gateway, Access Point (2.4GHz - 300Mbps / 5GHz - 433Mbps)
- Fast Ethernet Port: Experience wired speed and reliability anywhere in your home by connecting your favorite device to the fast Ethernet port
- Set Up in Minutes: Easily set up and manage your Wi-Fi in a few quick and easy steps using the TP-Link Tether app (Android, iOS). Find the optimal location for the best Wi-Fi connection with an intelligent signal indicator
- Universal Compatibility: The RE230 range extender is compatible with all Wi-Fi-enabled devices and routers or access points 
- All Wi-Fi extenders are designed to increase or improve Wi-Fi coverage, not to directly increase speed. In some cases improving signal reliability can affect overall throughput
- High Speed: Extending exist wireless network to hard to reach area with speed up to 300Mbps, creating high speed, long range and stable network.
- Plug and play: easy to install and use. The design is mobile and portable, and the compact design is value for money, very suitable for families, companies and travel.
- WPS Button:Can be simply setup on your phone/tablet/laptop/PC within 5 minutes. Support WEP, WPA2, WPA/WPA2 encryption methods.
- High Compatible:Ethernet port allows the Extender to function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices, Compatible with 802.11n/g/b, work with any wireless network, router and Wi-Fi enabled devices.
- Working Mode:Repeater mode for stronger wireless performance and coverage and AP mode which creates a new WiFi access point.
- Dual Band Technology: Less interference in 5G frequency band, strong penetration in 2.4G frequency band. Dual band technology allows you to select high quality frequency bands for better performance.
- Simple setup: No application required. Simply connect the WiFi repeater to the router via the website. If you have a compatible WPS router, you can extend seamless connectivity with the WPS button
- Ethernet Port and AP Mode: The Ethernet Port and 2 External Antennas Able to Connect to Any Wired Ethernet Device Such As Smart TV, Desktop and so on While Boosting. Repeater Mode Extends the Coverage of Existing WiFi Networks. AP Mode Allows Multiple Devices to Share the Same Wireless Network
- Effective heat dissipation: good heat dissipation function to ensure the stable operation of the wifi extender without fever.
- Smart Signal Led: The Signal Strength is Clear at A Glance. Green is Great. Easily Find the Best Setup Spot. Help You Find the Best WiFi Coverage Area. Move to the Ideal Location that Can Support the Best Extending Effect
Everything You Need to Know About WiFi Repeater
What Is a WiFi Repeater?
A WiFi repeater is a device that allows you to amplify the signal of a router and increase it, even where it is weak. It looks like a small plastic box and should be plugged into a power outlet. Once configured, it will do it all by itself.
It can be equipped with antennas, which guarantee greater amplification, and with LED lights, which signal its correct functioning and indicate on which type of band the repeater is transmitting.
How a WiFi Repeaters Work?
The WiFi repeaters connect to the router via WiFi, receives the signal and amplifies it allowing the connection even in those places where only the router’s WiFi signal cannot reach. However, it is important to know that a repeater consumes part of the router’s bandwidth to receive the WiFi signal and re-transmit it. In practice, the signal transmitted by the repeater is “repeated twice” causing a slowing down of the speed of navigation and connection. Just to avoid this inconvenience that many users use instead of the WiFi repeater a system equipped with Mesh technology.
Before proceeding with the purchase of the best WiFi repeater, it is, therefore, necessary to consider several factors and answer a series of key questions, to be sure of extending the home wireless network with maximum performance.
What Type of WiFi Network Should I Repeat?
This is the most important question to ask yourself before buying a WiFi repeater. Over the past few years, although many haven’t even noticed, WiFi standards have changed a lot. The vast majority of modems/routers on sale or on loan through telephone operators have the possibility of using different standards which are almost always divided into 802.11n on 2.4 GHz networks and 802.1ac on 5 GHz networks, and both are in can support WPA2 encryption which protects network passwords.
It is therefore very important to understand the modem/router you are using, what type of WiFi connections it supports. Usually, this feature is marked on the device box or is visible by entering the control panel of the router.
In any case, do not be afraid to make the wrong choice: WiFi technologies are “backwards compatible”, so if you were to purchase a WiFi repeater compatible with more standards than those supported by your old modem, you would still be able to extend the wireless network.
Some WiFi repeaters also have an input for an Ethernet cable, another very convenient feature if you need to connect a TV, a console or other devices that need a wired connection and that do not integrate the module for wireless networks.
Do I Need a Passthrough Repeater?
This is another thing to consider. Generally, most WiFi repeaters connect to the electrical outlet and do not give you the option to continue using that particular location. However, there are some particular models that integrate the Passthrough socket, that is, a real through socket where you can connect an additional 220v device.
It’s a very convenient feature, especially if you don’t have many outlets available.
How Many WiFi Repeaters Should I Buy?
Theoretically, a WiFi signal should easily exceed a range of 100 meters. In real life, however, things are very different, because the factors that influence the real signal quality are many. One of all the network technology that you want to extend: 2.4 GHz networks are slower, but have a greater range of action than 5 GHz networks which are much faster, but suffer much more from interference.
If you are reading this article, it is clear that you have already found that in some areas of the house the WiFi signal does not take, and to understand how many WiFi repeaters to buy, the best thing is to use a free Android app, with which you can analyze the real range of your wireless network, to then evaluate the purchase of one or more repeaters.
Once the application is downloaded, you need to start it and walk around the house, in order to understand which areas are not covered, which are the areas on the edge of the roof and – above all – see if there are electrical outlets at that place which to connect a possible network repeater.
Generally, for a two-storey house, a single WiFi repeater could be enough to increase the range of the wireless network, as long as it is positioned in a ” strategic point ” and that the walls are not too thick: in case the walls of your home are significantly larger than normal, you may need to purchase at least two.
Where Do I Connect the WiFi Repeaters
Positioning correctly (or not) a WiFi repeaters, could influence a lot on the signal quality of your wireless network. The concept that hides in a WiFi repeater is to act as a “bridge” between your modem/router and the various devices that will then connect to the WiFi network. It is therefore very important to place the repeater in an area where there is a good WiFi signal coming from the modem because the further you move away from the source of the wireless network, the higher the latency becomes and the lower the actual browsing speed becomes.
External WiFi Repeaters
There are some WiFi repeaters suitable for outdoor environments and also capable of resisting rain and possible accidents; thanks to this type of repeaters, it is possible to extend the signal even in a garden, park or courtyard. They are perfect products if you want to increase the wireless signal, for example in the garden or between two distinct buildings. They are not yet as popular as indoor repeaters, but they promise very well.
WiFi Repeaters or Access Point?
WiFi repeaters are divided substantially into two categories: simple ” repeaters ” of the signal of the home WiFi network, or access point. The operating principle, however, is very simple. The purpose of these devices is to work as a “bridge” with the WiFi signal generated by the modem/router, in order to capture the existing wireless home network and extend its range of action by creating a new one, but on different channels.
In essence, a WiFi repeater does not require a physical connection to the network, but must be able to connect to the main router, and then amplify it using the broadcasting function: this, therefore, allows you to extend the home WiFi network, even in areas where which the router was unable to reach.
An access point, on the other hand, physically connects to the network via an Ethernet cable and re-transmits its signal via WiFi, just like a router would. This is a good solution if you already have a wired network available and only need to cover certain areas with WiFi.
When you want to buy a WiFi repeater to improve the coverage of the router in the home, it is essential as a first step to check precisely which WiFi standard the router itself is updated too. This is particularly important because, if the standard of your router is not also supported by the repeater of your choice, the two devices will not be able to communicate with each other: in short, you will have made a useless purchase.
Compatibility with The Modem Router
Likewise, it is important to purchase a WiFi repeater that receives and transmits data on the same frequencies used by the router. The frequencies used always depend on the supported WiFi standards, so even in this case with a universal amplifier, you will already be sure that you have a compatible device. If your router is Dual Band, and therefore uses both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, it will be necessary that the WiFi repeater is also Dual Band, under penalty of losing one of the two frequencies (usually the faster one), from 5 GHz).
Dual Band WiFi Repeater in the same way, if you have a Single Band router, which transmits only on 2.4 GHz, you will not need a Dual Band repeater: you can, therefore, buy a Single Band model, rather inexpensive, and be perfectly satisfied.
A further detail to pay attention to when purchasing a WiFi repeater is the antennas with which it is equipped. We recommend that you take note of where the antennas are located, whether outside the amplifier or integrated inside it, and how many they are.
By now the external antennas no longer have the advantages of the past: thanks to the new technologies that are integrated in most of the medium-high range devices, in fact, the signal distribution and the transmission and reception of data are optimized automatically, without the need to manually orient each individual antenna. If until a few years ago a WiFi repeater could be as cumbersome as a router, now the designs are increasingly compact, and the repeaters are easy to position, connecting them to any power outlet in the house and offering even better performance.
More and more devices today carry the wording ” Mesh WiFi ” on the packaging, an important technological advancement in network peripherals whose benefits, however, are not yet clear for many users. If you are looking for a generic definition it is, in fact, difficult to understand what the difference is with a normal home system: a mesh network is composed of the router and other devices that, together, allow you to extend the WiFi network throughout the house.
The real difference lies in the efficiency with which the signal is distributed and managed by all the components of the network.
WiFi Mesh Repeater
WiFi mesh repeater in the older router-repeater couplings the wireless signal is only amplified (the repeater, therefore, risks slowing down the router’s performance), a mesh network places all the devices on the same plane. In this way, all its components can ensure high level performance, allowing a much more homogeneous signal diffusion. In addition, mesh devices can also automatically manage data traffic, giving priority to the most important operations and ensuring maximum efficiency.
Even if there are several mesh kits on the market, there are more and more repeaters compatible with this technology, which allow the user to freely create the system that best meets his needs.
The last factor to consider before purchasing is the ports on the WiFi repeater, especially if you think it can also serve as an access point. In fact, the simpler models, which only function as signal repeaters, are free of both LAN and USB ports, and this is compatible with their use of “pure” repeaters.
However, we have already mentioned that many models, even in the economic segment, now also support the access point mode, so on these models, it is possible to normally find at least one, maximum two network ports.
WiFi Repeater Connection
LAN Ports: As we have said, wired devices without integrated WiFi connectivity can be connected to the network ports, so as to enable them for wireless connectivity. The network ports that can be found on WiFi repeaters can be faster or slower: typically the cheaper models mount fast Ethernet ports, with a maximum transfer rate of 100 Mbps, while the medium and high-end models mount almost exclusively Gigabit Ethernet ports, with top speeds of 1 Gbps.
USB Ports: On higher-end, more complex models, it is also possible to find USB ports: these are useful for use in bridge mode and therefore for the connection of devices without an Ethernet connector. This is the case, for example, of some printers and external hard drives that you want to share on the network. Also in these cases, the type of USB ports can be either of the old type 2.0 or of the more modern type 3.0, whose data transfer speed is more than tenfold compared to the previous standard.