The portable air conditioner is a strong ally on hot summer days, provided you choose the right product. Take a look at the most exciting models among us analyzed: These are Silent, powerful, silent, technologically advanced and in energy efficiency class A +.
Being able to choose which appliance to equip calmly, it is good to consider your desires but above all the size of your home or of the individual rooms that you want to refresh.
We have prepared a short orientation guide to help you understand what type of air conditioner can do more for you and above all what features you need to pay attention to.
Below is the list of top 12 best window air conditioners.
- COOLS SMALL ROOMS- Delivers 5,050 BTU cooling capacity for small rooms up to 150 square feet
- MAXIMUM COMFORT COOL– Energy efficient cooling with two cooling and two fan speeds provide flexible and optimal home comfort
- EASY INSTALLATION- This AC has a fixed chassis and installs easily in a double hung window with included EZ Mount installation kit
- ADJUSTABLE THERMOSTAT- Mechanical controls make it easy to adjust and manage your settings
- EASY TO CLEAN FILTER- Slide-out filter is easy to remove and clean, keeping your unit running its best when cleaned every 30 days
- 5, 000 btu air conditioner for window-mounted installation
- Product Dimensions: 15.30" D x 16.0" W x 12.50" H | Window opening maximum width (in.): 35 | Weight: 39.70 lbs
- Cools a room up to 150 sq. Ft. With up to 1.06 pints per hour dehumidification
- Mechanical rotary controls with 2 fan speeds (low and high)
- 8-Way directional air louvers directs the air where you need it
- COOLS SMALL ROOMS- Delivers 6,000 BTU cooling capacity for small rooms up to 250 square feet
- MAXIMUM COMFORT COOL– Energy efficient cooling with three cooling and three fan speeds provide flexible and optimal home comfort
- ENERGY SAVER MODE- When the room is cool enough, Energy Saver Mode automatically turns off the fan and compressor, saving you money on utilities
- EASY INSTALLATION- This AC has a fixed chassis and installs easily in a double hung window with included EZ Mount installation kit
- ELECTRONIC THERMOSTAT WITH REMOTE- Digital controls with included remote make it easy to adjust and manage your settings from anywhere in your room.
- Install it at the window to maintain a steady temperature in your bedroom or office
- Control the temperature prolifically with 1465.36 W cooling power
- With the 150 square feet cooling coverage, keep your kitchen or living room comfortably cool
- Have more control over air flow with 2 fan speeds
- Mechanical rotary controls with 2 cool speeds and 2 fan speeds to achieve climate control when you need it most with
- Smart Control Air Conditioner – This WiFi enabled 12,000 BTU window air conditioner allows you to conveniently control cooling. It’s easy! Just press the SMART button to pair it with your mobile phone and start taking control via the hOmelabs app. It works with Alexa and Google Assistant, too! With dimensions of L 19.88 × D 20.86 × H 16.14 in, this 1000 W ac unit can cool any room or space up to 550 sq ft.
- Energy Star Efficiency - Higher energy efficiency offers more value than non-Energy Star units, so you can’t go wrong with this Energy Star certified air conditioner. This AC is also CEC, DOE, and CSA certified.
- Multifunctional Window AC – Whether it’s efficiently cooling a room through the COOL mode, reducing humidity for your comfort through the DRY mode, or getting rid of stale air through the FAN mode, this unit has it all and more! Easily create the perfect environment and take advantage of other features such as the 24 hr timer, Eco, Sleep, and Follow Me.
- Easy To Install – This does not require a professional for successful installation. In as fast as 15 min, you can install it yourself and start enjoying a cooler, more comfortable home, though having a second person to help with the installation is recommended. See the manual for your complete, easy to follow installation instructions.
- Low Noise Operation – This air conditioner has a low noise level of 57 to 60 dB, so there won’t be any disturbance while it’s running in the background cooling your space. Whether you’re watching your favorite series, reading a good book, or catching up on sleep, this unit promotes better relaxation!
- 10, 000 BTU ENERGY STAR Certified window air conditioner uses standard 115V electrical outlet (Easy window mounting kit and remote control included)
- WiFi Connect. Wirelessly control window air conditioner functions from your smartphone. Work with Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Homekit.
- Energy Star CertifiedEnjoy the same great cooling power as standard units while using less energy. Quickly cools a room up to 450 sq. ft. with dehumidification up to 2. 7 pints per hour
- Digital controls, 3 cool speeds, 3 fan speeds, and 2-way air direction. Easy to clean air filter included.
- Easy installation. fits windows 25- 36 5/8 in wide, minimum height 14 9/16 in
- Exclusive design combines the benefits of a portable ac, window ac and mini-split ac into a simple format
- Simply slide the saddle air conditioner over the window sill for a safe installation without any tools required or risks of the air conditioner falling out of the window
- Keep the view outside and full use of your window even after installation without having to remove the air conditioner
- Activate the MyTemp sensor on the remote control and relax anywhere in the room while the air conditioner cools to your exact location
- Save on energy costs with the 24-hour timer, energy saver mode, and sleep mode and rest easy knowing the air conditioner with automatically restart after a power interruption
- Exterior dimensions: Width 18-1/2", Cabinet Height 13-7/16" x Cabinet Depth (w/ Front): 17-1/2" x Cabinet Depth: 16" | Window Height: 14", Window Width: 23" - 36"
- Pleated quick-mount window mounting kit included
- 8,000 BTU mini-compact air conditioner for window-mounted installation
- Quickly cools a room up to 350 sq. Ft, Dehumidification up to 1.7 pints per hour
- Clean air ionizer removes pollen and impurities from the air providing relief for allergy sufferers
- Dimensions: 25.4" D x 23.6" W x 17.9" H | Window opening maximum width (in.): 41 | Window opening minimum height (in.): 19 | Window opening minimum width (in.): 28 | Product Weight: 105.82 lb
- 15, 000 BTU window air conditioner with slide-out chassis cools a room up to 700 sq. ft.
- Energy Star unit uses less energy saving money on utility bills (11. 8 EER)
- Wi-Fi and Voice Control enabled - works with Alexa and Google Home
- 1-2-5 years ! (1 year labor, 2 years parts and 5 years compressor)
- LOW NOISE PERFORMANCE: Operates at sound levels as low as 52dB (in low mode) eliminating unnecessary noise.
- MULTIPLE FAN SPEEDS: 3 cooling and fan speeds allow you to customize your cooling.
- MAXIMUM USABILITY: Easy to use electronic controls with remote
- AUTO RESTART: After a power failure, auto restart will automatically turn the unit back on when power is restored
- COOLS ROOMS UP TO 250 Square Feet: LW6017R is ideal for cooling medium rooms (10' X 25')
- KEEPS ROOM COOL: This 5,000 BTU small window air conditioner unit will keep your home cool and comfortable even in the hot days of summer. No matter the weather outside, this superior window unit AC runs at two levels: low and high to ensure optimal indoor relief.
- IDEAL FOR BEDROOM & OTHER SMALL ROOMS: Our 5000 BTU AC unit offers consistent, quick and highly effective cooling for rooms up to 150 square feet. Perfect for bedrooms, offices, playrooms, cabins, living rooms and apartments. Includes two fan-only speeds. With a weight of 37.26 lbs, this air conditioner fits snugly into windows with easy installation & mounting hardware.
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: This window AC uses R32 refrigerant (6.17 ounces), which has zero impact on the ozone layer and improves energy efficiency by up to 10% compared with R-410A. Because R32 is more efficient than R-410A, less refrigerant is needed, increasing the life of the 5k BTU window air conditioner. Great for a cool day at home and great for the environment. 54-decibel sound rating at its highest setting.
- EASY INSTALLATION, EASY TO CLEAN: Simply attach the top rail using a screwdriver & follow the directions to ensure the AC unit window fits through your double hung window. Cleaning window unit has never been easier with removable, washable nylon filter. Just slide/ lift out the filter out when the automatic filter check light is active, rinse it thoroughly under running water, put it back, and enjoy clean, cool and fresh air. 78” power cord length.
- COMPACT & EFFECIENT: This 16" x 15.2" x 12.5" window AC unit fits snugly into standard double hung windows make this 5000 BTU window unit a breeze. Enjoy refreshingly cool air so you can live in real comfort.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE - 8000 BTU, 820W, 115V/60Hz, LCDI Power Supply and Energy Star Rated at 12 Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER). Makes it a High Energy Saving and Efficient Compact Window AC. Unit Also Works as a Dehumidifier with a Dehumification Capacity of 51 Pint Per Day. Refrigerant R32, 30% lower GWP compared to R410A
- QUIET OPERATION - Smooth Air Flow - 260 m3/h (Low), 290 m3/h (Medium), and 320 m3/h (High) Fan Speed with only 53 dB(A) Low 56 dB(A) Medium, and 58 dB(A) High Speed, it's almost about the sound level of an average conversation between two person in a quiet room. Very Easy to Operate, Simply Set it and Forget it.
- FEATURES - Variable Temperature Setting from 61℉ - 88℉. All Functions can be set on LED Digital Display or Remote Control: Sleep Mode, Fan Speed Selection, 24 Hour Timer, ECO Mode, Auto Mode, and Fan Only. Washable and Reusable Air Filter Can be Easily Slide Out and Can be Easily Washed with Warm Water and Dish Soap or Vacuum Cleaner for Best Performance. Please Make Sure Filter is Dry Thoroughly Before Reinstalling).
- EASY INSTALLATION - Unit Installs Easily without Significant Modification to the Existing Window Frame. Fits Windows from 23" to 36" Wide and Minimum Height of 14.5". Complete Mounting Accessories are Included in Package. Pilot Holes are Highly Recommended for some window frames. Please Check Instruction Manaul for More Detail.
- COVERAGE AREA - Compact Size Measures at only 18.58"(W) x 15.59"(D) x 13.31"(H) and Weight only 47.4 Pounds, Unit is able to Cools up to 350 Sq. Ft Space. Great Ideal for Small Rooms, Storage Rooms, Computer Server Rooms, Apartments, Condos, Trailer Homes and More!
How to Choose Best Low Profile Window Air Conditioners
To combat the heat and the summer heat, the portable air conditioner is an excellent alternative to fixed systems. It is preferred for its greater practicality and ease of installation, and the lower price.
However, despite being a less complicated appliance than the fixed ones, it still has several variables that must be carefully analyzed before purchasing and thanks to a guide like this it is possible to get a clearer idea on which portable air conditioner to choose.
Btu / Consumption
To make a comparison between the various portable air conditioners on the market and identify the one that is most suitable for your needs, first of all, evaluate its BTU (British Thermal Unit) and, that is, the unit of measurement that indicates their power.
You will need to choose the right appliance based on the size of the room you want to air-condition and other parameters (exposure to the sun, number of windows present, etc.) keeping in mind that a too-small machine will not be able to cool effectively.
On the contrary, a too-large unit will not be able to remove the right amount of moisture from the air. In the presence of a heat pump for heating, this will be accompanied by a separate BTU classification.
In the case of the portable air conditioner, this is not a simple evaluation because, unlike the fixed one, the rooms to be cooled can be different.
Closely related to the power of the portable air conditioner is its consumption. Today it is mandatory to indicate on the label the energy class in which each machine falls (ranging from A +++ to D), and this becomes one of the most relevant parameters to consider.
Portable air conditioners with more efficient energy class have a higher initial cost which is gradually amortized over time thanks to the energy savings they can guarantee.
To choose the appliance that best suits your needs, some compare prices, BTU and consumption and who, on the other hand, is most interested in its practicality and maintenance.
The portable air conditioner collects humidity from the air which, unlike the fixed ones, must then be managed. In units with containers.
The water is collected and then periodically emptied. When this fills up to its maximum limit, afloat switches off the air conditioner to avoid flooding.
But there are very comfortable systems on the market in which the condensate is not produced at all since it is evaporated internally, therefore leaving no water to be removed.
In other cases, the condensate is entirely or partially eliminated by evaporation outwards through the drainpipe, so it will rarely be necessary to empty the container.
There are not many units that can boast these functions and the best brand of portable air conditioners, for someone, maybe precisely that which offers the latest developments in technology.
For others, however, the best portable air conditioner on the market may be the quieter ones. Although the technology has gone a long way in this case too.
The machine cannot be expected to be extremely silent because the engine that cools/heats, unlike the fixed air conditioners, is located inside the house.
We must, therefore, pay attention to two critical parameters which are the minimum noise level and the maximum noise level declared.
A silently fixed air conditioner also reaches around 20 dB of noise, in the case of portable ones we are about 45 (minimum ventilation speed) up to 70 dB.
One of the first aspects that are evaluated when choosing the air conditioner to be installed in the home is that of consumption. Under the lens also the power of the appliance which must be able to cool and heat the house, according to the seasons.
This parameter is indicated in Btu, that is the British thermal unit. The selection between the appliances must also be made taking into account the cubic meters that the air conditioner must go to air-condition—the discourse changes when the environments are huge.
The choice of a quality air conditioner must be made, especially taking into account the needs of those who buy it and the environment in which this appliance will be installed.
Both in the home and at work, by now, the air conditioner has become a strong ally which it is difficult to do without in both the winter and summer seasons.
There are many models on the market according to the different needs and the location that will host the air conditioner.
On-Off and Inverter Technology
The air conditioners on the market are divided into two main categories: On-off and Inverter. The first group includes older products that are easier to use.
These are devices that have a lower cost but also higher consumption. Furthermore, these items do not always ensure proper comfort for tenants in the home.
A different matter for Inverter air conditioners that instead emit air – both hot and cold – according to a more intelligent system and which optimizes electricity consumption.
These devices manage to ensure excellent performance while using energy to a minimum. Another function almost always present in these types of systems, beyond dehumidification, is that of ventilation.
This type of option is advantageous when the external thermometer rises a lot, and the heat becomes unbearable. One does not buy a fan because the air conditioner performs its same function.
The inverter air conditioners are also equipped with a timer: it is possible to program the switching on and off and therefore finds the desired temperature when returning home.
For all these functions it will be useful to study the instruction booklet and of course the remote control.
The air conditioners with On-Off technology are therefore suitable for those who do not feel the need to keep the air conditioners always on and who may even live in smaller rooms. They certainly cost less, but the same savings will no longer be present on the bill.
The air conditioners with Inverter technology are instead recommended for those who want to air-condition their room at home for long periods.
Some keep it on at night, those during the day for all three summer months. Although these air conditioners remain on for several hours, consumption is not so high, and the savings on the bill will be evident when compared to that of an apartment in which an on-off air conditioner is used.