Older users will probably remember the melodica that small keyboard that was used in middle schools instead of the flute to learn the basics of music.
Well, the years have passed, but things have not changed! In some Italian middle schools, music is still studied with this particular instrument, often loved for its sound and other times hated for the amount of saliva that had to be cleaned at the end of each ‘performance’.
If your children have to face music lessons at school and need a melodica, it will be useful to know what are the main features to look for in a model, so that you can make the right purchase and invest your savings well.
Right here are the best Melodicas listed below.
- Featuring phosphor bronze reeds
- All aluminum covers
- Full 37 note range
- Included accessories: standard mouthpiece, trumpet style mouthpiece, flexible tube mouthpiece, and soft gig bag with handles
- Exceptional sound and range at a reasonable price
- Clear and bright tone with a fast response Yamaha Planica's are designed to produce a rich sound that starts quickly even with a...
- Stable tuning that lasts and lasts In addition to being fine-tuned and adjusted by specialists at the factory, the internal brass...
- Engineered to prevent leaks A seamless rubber seal encloses the air chamber and the valves to prevent leaks. (Please note: while...
- Smooth action keyboard Every individual key has its own separate suspension spring with anti-vibration guides, giving the keyboard...
- Lightweight and compact design Yamaha Planica's are easy to hold and carry, making them convenient for travel between school and...
- 32 keys melodica, each key with the note on it, easy for students or beginners to play and learn.
- Each melodica has a short mouthpiece and one white soft tube, you can hold the melodica with one hand (hold your hand under the...
- Each melodica has a soft bag, so that you can paly it anywhere.
- Each note tuning and durable.
- It looks like a small piano.
- 【Smooth, Responsive Piano Keyboard】 You can play chords and single notes, sharps, and flats just like a piano, though it has a...
- 【Convenient to Carry】You can bring it easily with a zipper carrying case and a strap in the melodica.
- 【Safe for humans】The body is made from ABS non-toxic engineering resin which is healthy and safe.
- 【Compatibility】Suitable for instrumental music instruction, music playing, music learning.
- 【Compact Design】With the short mouthpiece, you can slide your hand under the strap and play with the other. Note: the...
- LONG AND FLEXIBLE: The Melodica Mouthpiece is flexible and 57cm long, easy to install and simple to use, an ideal simple...
- PERFECT REPLACEMENT PART: A great replacements for your old melodica tube, perfect for connecting your melodica and bring you a...
- DURABLE: The Melodica Mouthpiece is made of high quality ABS material, light weight and soft, durable to use.
- PORTABLE: You can fold the flexible melodica tube into compact size, easy for carry and storage.
- GUARANTEE: If you are not satisfied with our product received, you can apply for unconditional return and refund in 180 days. In...
- ♫❤️ EASY TO PLAY: This 37 keys melodica instrument is easy for beginners, kids to play, also a good choice for musical...
- ♫🎁 PURE AND RICH SOUND: The enhanced air chambers and reinforced combs of this melodica can provide strong airflow for...
- ♫🔥 HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL: Equipped with phosphor bronze reed and Copper Base, the melodica is made of safe, non-toxic ABS...
- ♫🎄 DECENT CHOICE AS GIFTS: Comes with a good quality bag for easy carrying and storage, with a tube, shoulder strap. If you...
- ♫🎅 TRUSTWORTHY SUPPORT: With 30 Days Unconditional Back Guarantee By Our Awesome Customer Support, you can rest assured to...
- ♫ EASY TO PLAY: 32-key piano style melodica, easy to play and learn.Perfect for teaching little kids or people who are beginning...
- ♫ HOW TO PLAY: With the short mouthpiece, you can hold the instrument with one hand (slide your hand under the strap) and play...
- ♫ NO NEED BATTERY: It doesn't need batteries and electricity,just simply blow into the tube and start playing.
- ♫ ACCESSORIES COMPLETE: Comes with a bag for easy carrying and storing,and tube,Shoulder strap.Easy to carry and store.A great...
- ♫ EXCELLENT SERVICE: We will provide professional guidance about things like how to play or instrument maintain, please feel...
- ⦗ EYE-CATCHING DESIGN ⦘ Stickers are color coded with bright and cheerful colors. It helps kids and beginners to identify and...
- ⦗ FITS ANY MELODICA, HARMONIUM ⦘ Stickers for white keys are printed in 0.5” x 0.96”inches // 1.3x2.5cm vinyl. Stickers...
- ⦗ TRANSPARENT AND LONG-LASTING ⦘Stickers are printed between two layers of durable transparent vinyl to prevent ink from...
- ⦗ EASY TO INSTALL AND REMOVE ⦘ Stickers come with a placement user guide with clear instructions and a utility stick to help...
- ⦗ MADE IN USA ⦘ Designed, printed, and packaged in the USA. 🇺🇸
- 32 Key Melodica
- 85% Silk, 15% Cashmere
- Contains non-woven parts of animal origin
- Concealed button closures
- Marina Rinaldi Collection
- Hand wash cold
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Melodica?
In principle, the melodica s for educational use are sold at a very low price, unlike the ‘professional’ ones, which are much more expensive. An important feature to consider is the quality of the materials that can determine its longevity.
Possibly it is better to buy a melodica capable of lasting for all three years of middle school, so we recommend focusing on a product built with resistant materials.
Usually, the body of the melodica s is made of ABS plastic to be light to carry, the important thing is that the key mechanics are solid so that they do not ruin after a few months of use, which can prevent some notes from sounding correct and therefore the execution of the songs.
The melodica s created for educational purposes have a sound very similar to each other, with some slight changes from one model to another. The most used ones have a 32-key keyboard with E-flat, while more compact 24-key models can also be found.
Usually, the music masters prefer the one from 32 but, in case, you can ask directly to that of your children in order to make the right purchase.
If you are a musician and you are looking for a melodica with a good sound you will have to spend something more, orienting yourself towards a model capable of expressing very pleasant Latin jazz or gypsy jazz sounds.
The intonation of the notes is very important, so try them all to check that everything sounds correct.
Equipment and Design
Usually in the price of this tool are included a case, a tube with a spout and a cleaning cloth. If possible, we advise you to opt for a model with a hard case, as it will be more effective in protecting the melodica from shocks, falls and above all from the dust that can accumulate on the instrument when not in use.
As for the design, if you want to try to attract children or teenagers to use it, you can opt for a colored model, otherwise, the classic one will come with a black body, white keys, and flat/sharp black.
How to Play the Melodica
Although it is typically used in middle schools to teach music, the melodica is in all respects a musical instrument. In modern music, we find it in some forms of jazz such as Latin, where it is played with technique and taste. Several famous musicians have used it to insert it in their compositions.
We are talking about Damon Albarn of Blur \ Gorillaz, Ian Curtis of Joy Division, Mike Patton of Faith No More and Morgan Gore of Depeche Mode.
For this, we should not underestimate the importance of this small instrument that can serve both to approach the study of music theory and even become a source of inspiration for compositions, as well as fun for more experienced musicians.
Explaining you in a few words how to play a melodica a is an impossible feat, to say the least, as with those ‘few’ keys you can create infinite music. But we can explain how to get the sound out.
As you can see, the melodica has the shape of a piano or a miniature keyboard and usually comes with 32 keys. To let the sound out you need to bring the spout to your mouth, always keeping the keyboard in front of your eyes.
Then you have to blow into the spout as if it were a flute and press any key to check that the sound comes out correctly.
Like all wind instruments, there is no need to hurry because otherwise after a couple of notes you will already be tired. It is very important to breathe through the nose and blow through the mouth, in order to have a continuous air cycle.
This technique called ‘circular breathing’ is not easy to learn, but it is fundamental for playing the melodica and all the other wind instruments.
On the keyboard of the melodica, you will also find the black keys, i.e. those of the E flat keys just like on a real piano.
We advise you to start learning the simplest pieces on the C major scale, the only one that contains regular intervals between the notes and therefore does not contain E flat/sharp.
In the melodica a package you will also find a tube with a spout, ideal for learning to play with more comfort and to see all the notes that are being played. Before and after each use the melodica must be cleaned carefully, as it is inevitable that the saliva remains near the spout or tube.
It’s a bit of an unpleasant operation, so make sure you’re the only one using it! Once you have finished using it, we advise you to put it back in its case, in order to keep it away from dust.
Melodica – Purchase Criteria
There are a few factors to consider before purchasing Melodica. Below, you will find a list created by our expert consultants, which will give you the opportunity to make an ideal choice, making the best possible decision.
Taking these factors into consideration, in addition to our recommendations, we are confident that you will be able to find the best product for you among Melodica.
- Manufacturer: for Melodica, are there any known manufacturers?
- Test Reports: for Melodica, are there real and complete reviews?
- Buyer Review: has this product been purchased and reviewed by customers?
- Dimensions: what are the possible dimensions of the product in question?
- Altroconsumo: for Melodica, is the test result already available for this category?
- Test Results: for the aforementioned Melodica category, which are the best products at the moment?
- Price: what is the budget at your disposal and are there special occasions for Melodica?
- Comparison: to conclude, it is necessary to make a comparison between the various criteria of the product, also taking into account the price and your needs!