When the desire to ride a mountain bike explodes, there is only one thing you can do: give in to your desire. In winter or in summer, cycling is one of the most pleasant and healthy things you can do in your spare time.
A mountain bike is a two-wheeled vehicle that can be used on any type of terrain. Those who intend to ride on and off the road, just for fun or on the occasion of a real competition have to do nothing but saddle up and go on an adventure. These types of bicycles are versatile and comfortable, but you need to know how to select the most suitable type to take full advantage of its multiple potentials.
Here is a practical purchase guide to choosing the right mountain bike with all the reasons to undertake the most correct choice and the various parameters to keep an eye on when making the final selection.
The purpose of this article is to provide guidelines to help the less experienced (which we hope will become future experts) to enter this world, starting in the best way, i.e. choosing the mountain bike from the list below, that best suits your needs.
- With a gloss red hardtail frame and 21 speeds to conquer the trails, the Huffy Stone Mountain is ready for outdoor adventures
- An Amazon exclusive: Ideal for ages 12-19 and a rider height of 58-70 inches; durable steel frame is backed by our limited lifetime warranty (see owner's manual for details); Kolo 1200 suspension fork handles bumps and dips for a smoother-feeling ride
- The indexed Shimano TZ-31 rear derailleur combines with the micro-shift twist shifter to deliver 21 speeds on-demand for uphill climbing, downhill riding, or pure acceleration; removable rear derailleur guard ensures consistent gear operation
- 24" x 1.95" knobby tires tear into bike paths with ease; linear pull hand brakes deliver consistent stopping action; premium padded ATB saddle has stitched sides for lasting quality; alloy quick release provides easy seat height adjustment
- Slight-rise handlebar enables upright riding to minimize back and shoulder strain; ATB-type resin pedals on the 3-piece Kolo crank have responsive feel; Kraton grips are comfortable to the touch; alloy wheels in matte black; kickstand included
- Aluminum suspension frame maximizes comfort & performance
- Element suspension fork smooths the bumps and increases control
- 21 speed rear derailleur with SRAM twist shifters changes gears easily
- Alloy wheels with quick release front
- Alloy front & rear disc brakes
- Schwinn aluminum dual suspension frame and powerful Schwinn suspension fork soak up bumps and thumps to provide you a durable riding experience
- 24 speed Shimano EZ Fire trigger shifters and front and rear Shimano derailleurs make gear changes easy and smooth
- Front and rear mechanical disc brakes provide crisp all condition stopping out on the trail
- Extra wide double wall alloy rims are light and strong for added durability; 2.25 inch wide knobby mountain tires are ready for bumpy terrain
- Durable Schwinn alloy cranks provide steady gearing and less pesky maintenance on your end
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Gary Fisher, Charlie Kelly, Joe Breeze (Actors)
- Billy Savage (Director)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- Assembly tutorial is located in the related video shorts section; bathed in a beautiful Ocean Blue Gloss, the Exxo mountain bike is ready to explore your favorite trails; ideal for ages 13 and up and a minimum rider height of 5 feet
- The lightweight aluminum hardtail frame is backed by our limited 10-year frame warranty (see owner's manual for details); aluminum (much lighter than steel) provides more rolling momentum so it's easier to pedal for speed and acceleration
- Promptly draw on 21 speeds on-demand for uphill climbing, downhill riding, or pure acceleration with the indexed Shimano TZ-31 rear derailleur and micro-shift twist shifter; suspension fork absorbs bumps for a better ride
- Knobby 26" X 1.95" tires bite into dirt and gravel paths with ease in wet or dry conditions; alloy linear pull brakes together with machined alloy wheel rims provide smooth stopping power; premium padded ATB saddle has stitched sides for quality
- Slight-rise handlebar enables upright riding to minimize back and shoulder strain; ATB-type resin pedals on the 3-piece crank have responsive feel; Kraton grips remain comfortable to the touch; alloy wheels in matte black; kickstand included
- Lopes, Brian (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 328 Pages - 07/24/2017 (Publication Date) - Human Kinetics (Publisher)
- Schwinn aluminum dual-suspension frame with a front suspension fork and rear shocks for ultimate bump absorption and durable trail riding
- Frame – 18” Medium | Suggested rider height – 5’ 9” to 6’ 2” | Chain size – 1.5” x 3/32 with 110 links | Tire size – 29 x 2.0 | Brake type – Mechanical
- The 21-speed shifters with derailleurs are perfect for a wide gear range and smooth shifts
- Schwinn alloy triple cranks and 7-speed freewheel combine to supply the right gearing at all times
- Front and rear mechanical disc brakes provide crisp stopping and steady speed control on descents and extra wide double wall alloy rims wrap around 2.1-Inch wide knobby mountain tires
- Trail ready alloy mountain frame with SR Suntour XC-E28 suspension fork. Fits riders 5’4” to 6’2” tall.
- 21-speed shifters and derailleurs provide quick, precise gear changes.
- Front and rear disc brakes deliver crisp, all-condition stopping.
- Double wall alloy rims provide durability without weighing you down
- 27.5-inch wheels with Mongoose 2.1-inch wide tires for all-terrain adventures.
- 100+ Beautiful mountain trails for all styles of riding
- 80+ Gear items for your rider and MTB bike
- Frame and wheel upgrades that impact game play
- Epic bike crashes, fun rag doll physics and active bike suspension
- Tricks, bunny hops and flips!
- English (Publication Language)
Things to Consider Before Buying Mountain Bike
What Will the Mountain Bike Do?
Before purchasing a new mountain bike, it is necessary to carry out a series of careful evaluations. First of all, one must ask oneself what use it will make of it. In this regard, the emotional component takes on a leading role. Personal tastes vary from cyclist to cyclist, and everyone can choose the preferred model without particular hindrances, but one must never lose sight of the specific field of use.
Those who simply want to have fun can settle for an entry level mountain bike for beginners, while those who aspire to participate in competitive competitions must necessarily focus on professional mountain bike models. The time has come to analyze and compare the various characteristics of a mountain bike and to provide all the essential information for a conscious choice.
The Budget Available
When buying a mountain bike, you cannot ignore the budget that you can and intend to invest. Those who simply want to have fun can limit themselves to buying a less expensive bicycle with a lower performance. Excellent for their value for money is the Torpedo mountain bikes which, however, allow you to practice activities even at a competitive level and to extricate yourself better on the various terrains.
Those who do not hide a certain passion for such a fascinating discipline, could spend a little more focusing on Scott mountain bikes and buy a bicycle with slightly more intriguing technical characteristics. However, as already mentioned above, much depends on the tastes and needs of each potential runner.
How to Choose the Type of Mountain Bike According to Use
Which of the types of mountain bikes available on the market is the one to prefer depending on the prevalent field of use? There are numerous genres among which there is only spoiled for choice. Let’s take a look at the main types, capable of capturing the attention of a wider audience, and their respective strengths.
Types of Mountain Bikes
Mountain Bike Xc (cross Country)
Also known by the abbreviation of XC, cross country mountain bikes focus on lightness and flexibility and are built with a carbon or aluminium frame. It is a good model, especially for the plain and uphill, while it presents some difficulties in case of complicated descents. It does not require high maintenance, which always remains extremely simple and affordable.
Marathon Mountain Bike
A marathon bicycle has many similarities to the XC models. However, this medium is more suitable for longer races, thanks to an excellent reactivity. Excellent is its performance when pedaling, combined with a higher excursion than cross country. A carbon frame is often used, and the marathon works best uphill, especially on long-distance runs.
The trail bike mountain bike is of a higher category than the previous ones. It is not a racing vehicle but mostly intended for recreational use. Its geometry appears very suitable for difficult descents, with a wide saddle angle and a very open steering. Reliability and durability are its main prerogatives, which make it perfect for high mountain routes and marked differences in altitude.
Mountain Bike for All mountains
We continue with all mountain bikes, perfect for riders who are always looking for adventurous paths to cross in good company. This type of bike is excellent for downhill and counts on a light and durable set-up, with an aluminium frame and, in rare cases, in carbon. Those who use this vehicle want to enjoy excellent pedaling in all main conditions.
Enduro Mountain Bike
An enduro bike is suitable both for races of a certain level and for daily use. A sequence of highly effective shock absorbers allows excellent performance in dangerous descents, with a set-up that must be robust and characterized by high reliability. The frame is generally in aluminium or carbon fiber, with the latter installed on top of the range vehicles. In general, the bike is perfect for races in which special timed downhill and non-timed uphill races alternate, with satisfying downhill performance.
Free-ride Mountain Bike
A free-ride mountain bike is difficult to ride, with an aluminium frame and the possibility of using it for destinations that can be considered extreme. The goal is achieved thanks to wheels with high resistance, with average heavyweights. The bike is ideal for jumping and evolving, with the chance to have fun in the bike parks.
Downhill Mountain Bike
Downhill bikes are really fun but quite demanding to ride. This vehicle must be used downhill and has a long wheelbase, with the ability to reach very high speeds. Again, aluminium is the most used material for the frame, even if carbon is catching on. It must be light and resistant, with such reliability. Those who want to go downhill without brakes could buy this mountain bike.
How to Choose the Size of The Mountain Bike?
How should you choose the size of the mountain bike? There are several aspects that are relevant to this, such as the diameter of the wheels, the height of the cyclist and so on. Unlike racing bikes, for mountain bikes, the size is expressed in inches and relates exclusively to the height of the seat tube. It is sufficient to apply the following mathematical formula “Horse (cm) x 0.226 = size in inches” to find the correct size of the mountain bike to be purchased.
To know the exact proportions between the various elements of the bike and the frame for each model, it is necessary to refer to the size and size tables made available by each manufacturer.
Once the choice has been made, remember that you need a minimum of equipment to better face your first rides, with the usual warning: if you spend a little more you will not have to change the accessories after a few months. You can ride in a shirt and short pants, but you cannot do without some things:
Choose an open helmet model with a visor that covers the back of the head well. It must be well ventilated, light and have a closure adjustment system (wheel or similar) on the rear. Spending ranges from 30 $ upwards, but I recommend you stay around 50 $, it will undoubtedly be more comfortable.
The pad is the protective pad sewn into shorts or mountain bike overalls (the latter also called “bib”). It is a fundamental accessory if you want to pedal for more than an hour and maintain a certain comfort. The bottom is often overlooked by newbies but also by experts. There are many types, and the choice is very personal: the overalls are comfortable in some ways, the shorts (the intimate boxer with pad) for others.
You can start with a simple, intimate short with pad, make sure it has a good soft padding “but not too much”, both for men if you are male and vice versa, and it is well-fitting. Estimate from 20/30 $ upwards, stay around 50 for a good product.
Another important accessory, I recommend a pair of long-fingered mountain bike gloves without too many seams or layers on the palm, to have good finger protection and at the same time a lot of sensitivity on the handlebar from 10 $ upwards.
Even if on short excursions you tend to do without it, the backpack is the companion of outings of every self-respecting biker. Choose a specific one for mountain bike, with straps on the chest and at the waist and the possibility of providing it with a water bag (which therefore has a special compartment with provision for the outlet of the tube with a drinking valve).
Inside there must be (as a minimum) a spare inner tube, a mini tool with Allen keys, tire changers, tire pump, a kit with patches for inner tubes and a rain jacket. A few patches and bandages never hurt.
Whether you use it in the woods or even in the city, it is always time to leave “our beloved” unattended. Avoid leaving the new mountain bike tied in the garage if you live in a building, especially if it has cost you a considerable amount. It is one of the first places where thieves, after keeping an eye on you, go to steal.
The choice of the best mountain bike can depend on an infinite series of factors all at the forefront. From the type of vehicle to the frame, from the saddle to the wheels, passing through the pedals, the brand and the budget, nothing must be left out in order to make a peaceful and conscious purchase.