Despite being affected by direct competition from pasta, the use of which generally requires less preparation time, rice still maintains a prominent position in Italian gastronomy. Being very versatile in the kitchen, this cereal lends itself to countless preparations: appetizers, dry and broth first courses, salads, desserts … It is essential, however, to use the right type of rice for each recipe.
In its basic version, rice is more abundant in fiber, minerals, and vitamins, which tend to get lost with the refining process. Since it does not contain gluten, rice represents a valid alternative to pasta for all those intolerant to this substance.
The calories provided by a portion of rice (80 g) are also the same as an equivalent portion of pasta, which, however, has a higher protein content, even if the rice proteins have a higher biological value because, compared to the wheat, rich in essential amino acids. Here we will be listing the top 13 best shirakiku rice.
- 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐮𝐦 𝐐𝐮𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐑𝐢𝐜𝐞: Years of cultivar improvement efforts have resulted in...
- 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐂𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝: This Japanese rice is grown on a naturally...
- 𝐈𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐭𝐨 𝐌𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐬𝐡𝐢:This short grain rice variety is ideal for making sushi...
- 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬: Koshihikari rice variety...
- 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧: This short grain white rice package weighs 15-pound and comes packed in a pouch....
- 𝐄𝐚𝐬𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞: This microwavable white rice is quick and simple to prepare. It can be...
- 𝐍𝐨 𝐍𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐂𝐨𝐨𝐤: Our sticky rice packets are ready to be eaten instantly. They require no...
- 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐈𝐧𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬: The Japanese rice used are cultivated organically on...
- 𝐒𝐚𝐯𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐟𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠: This cooked rice is prepared from premium quality...
- 𝐏𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐈𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐝𝐞𝐝: Our instant food package weighs 7.4 ounces, comes in a pack of 12,...
- Contains six individual packages - 7.05 Oz. each
- Japanese style sushi rice
- Food Service Pack 50 Pound
- Extra fancy, medium grain rice
- Cultivated in northern California
- Shirakiku rice is very versatile
- Can be used in many different types of cooking
- One of the most popular short grain varieties
- Pure white appearance and soft texture
- Perfect complement to any Asian dish
- Premium Rice: Shirakiku snowflake rice is a premium rice which is brought by professional craftsmen. Our product is sustainably...
- Environment Friendly Cultivation: The Shirakiku snowflake white rice is grown in an environment friendly cultivation method in...
- Fresh and High Quality: The Shirakiku sushi rice is grown in an environmentally friendly cultivation method in clean water and...
- Delicious and Sweet: Our snowflake sticky rice features outstanding sweetness and chewy texture. The rice is sweet, starchy, well...
- Ideal for Sushi: The Shirakiku snowflake rice has a soft texture and the perfect flavor whether it is cold or cooked. When it is...
Everything You Need to Know About Best Shirakiku Rices
Unlike wheat, which is ground to produce flours, rice is consumed directly in grains, after having undergone appropriate refining treatments.
The quality of the food, therefore, coincides with that of the raw material, lacking all the production phases (mixing of the ingredients, extrusion, drying), which instead characterize the processing of the pasta and which greatly influence its organoleptic characteristics. Basically, having to express a quality assessment for rice, it is necessary to take into consideration:
The types and varieties of rice grown in Italy are divided into four broad groups: common or originating; semifinal; purposes; superfine.
The division into groups is made taking into account different characteristics of the grain, such as length, width, thickness, shape, weight, more or less smooth consistency.
The combination of these peculiarities determines the specific cooking behavior and the gastronomic yield of each group and each variety.
Defects to Check
Visual inspection is the most necessary quality test in rice. The excessive presence of defects can, in fact, significantly affect the gastronomic results (for example, a high percentage of broken or opaque and floury beans will determine a greater tendency to stickiness during cooking, as the fragments will cook faster than the beans integers).
Watch out For the Label.
The indication “Extra rice” is allowed on the packaging for products with defects and impurities not exceeding one-third of the tolerances established by law and, in any case, do not have a maximum breakage of more than 1.5%. On the other hand.
The sale of rice with several defective grains or impurities higher than the established limits is allowed, provided that the indication “Rice subtype” is clearly visible on the packaging and on the tags (the percentage must also be indicated breaking). In any case, the rice cannot be offered for sale or, in any case, released for consumption, not even as a “subtype rice,” if it has a percentage of breaks more significant than 12% by weight.
Alterations and Fraud
The most common alterations are due to parasitic insects. The most common is Sythophylus oryzae, which produces a longitudinal furrow in the grains.
You can notice its presence because the infested rice releases a whitish powder by rubbing; moreover, when it is cooked, the pedophiles are seen floating on the water. Stored in a humid environment, rice can mold and take on a characteristic and unpleasant smell.
It is, therefore, crucial that storage takes place in dry and well-ventilated rooms. Among the most common frauds, that of mixing other types with lower commercial value to the most valuable brands, using names to deceive consumers.
If there is a mixture of several varieties in the same package, the problems occur primarily at the time of cooking, due to the different times required by each array.
The law prohibits the sale or, in any case, release for consumption for human consumption of mixtures of superfine, fine, semi-fine, and standard or originating rice. In other words, it is not allowed to mix together varieties belonging to different groups.
For the “Superfine”, “Fino” and “Semifino” it is forbidden to mix types even if belonging to the same group. Assemblies of these groups or of unclassified varieties, or of the “Common or Original” group, are allowed provided they are offered for sale with the only indication, clearly visible on the packaging, of “Common rice subtype” or “Original rice subtype.”
Sometimes, the beans are moistened with water to increase their weight, or, for the same purpose, they are sprinkled with mineral powders.
Small and round beans, cooking 12/13 minutes, in general, they are the most suitable for soups and desserts, e.g., Balilla, Crypto, Eridani
Round grains of medium length or semi-long, with a pearly appearance, cooking 13/15 minutes, recommended for soups, dry and in broth, and for well-creamed risotto, e.g., Lido, Nuovo Maratelli, Padano, Rosa Marchetti, Venere, Vialone nano.
Tapered grains with vitreous structure, cooking 14/16 minutes, versatile, suitable for different preparations: pilaf rice, rice salads, risotto, timbales. E.g., Europe, Puma, Ribe, S. Andrea
large long and very long grains, with particularly glassy grain, cooking 16/18 minutes,
the best for risotto, rice salads, dry rice, e.g., Arborio, Baldo, Carnaroli, Rome, Thaibonnet
The Parboiled Rice
The industry has developed some procedures for treating paddy rice to increase its food value and improve its cooking behavior.
The most important treatment is the one that originates from the parboiled rice: the paddy rice is wet with water and then treated with steam to obtain the diffusion of the water-soluble components of the germ and the outer layers towards the inside of the caryopsis.
The loss of these substances in the subsequent refining phases is thus significantly reduced, and the resistance of the beans is increased, which does not overcook even after prolonged cooking. Parboiled rice is yellow-brown in color, a middle ground between brown rice brown and the white color of polished rice.