If you play basketball you already know how important it is to have good basketball shoes. It is no coincidence that in this sector there is a real business, which goes beyond the sport itself. This type of footwear is in fact designed to improve performance on the playing field, but you can also find models to be used as everyday shoes.
For this reason, there are many options on the market, not all of them really suitable for playing basketball despite their name saying vice versa. If you want to find real basketball shoes, you will need to keep in mind some important factors such as the materials and the technology used.
Here we had selected the best pairs of Asics basketball shoes for you that are present below.
Buying Guide to Select the Best Asics Basketball Shoes
What Are Basketball Shoes?
Basketball shoes are a type of sports shoe made with some special characteristics for the practice of this sport. Depending on the needs of each sports specialty, you will need a product that allows you to develop one of these physical activities with the best possible performance.
One of the peculiarities of basketball shoes that you notice at first sight is their high-legged design to offer good support to the ankle, protecting it from any sprains and other types of injuries. The generally padded sole is also important for ensuring the health of the sole of the foot.
How Important Is the Material of Basketball Shoes?
The materials used in the manufacture of basketball shoes are crucial to the performance they can offer. In addition, they define their useful life and the feeling you will feel when wearing them. There are good quality but excessively heavy materials that hinder movement. The ideal is light and durable material.
Another factor to consider is breathability, which is essential when playing a sport as demanding as basketball. The mesh strategically located in some areas of the shoe or the light materials allows better breathability and makes your feet feel more comfortable.
How to Prevent Basketball Shoes from Slipping?
A basketball player must be able to turn, change direction, abruptly “close” or stop. If the shoes have become slippery, he won’t be able to do any of this, so he won’t be able to return to the field. There are some solutions we can simply resort to:
- Apply non-slip spray to shoes before playing. It will remove dust and dirt from the sole.
- Spray hairspray soles on the soles. It will create a cling film that will promote friction.
- Apply some liquid to the sole and dry it with a cloth. You will get rid of dirt and gain adhesion.
- Moisten your fingers with saliva and pass them over the sole. It’s a loathsome solution, but it solves the problem in minutes in an emergency.
How Does Technology Affect Basketball Shoes?
The world’s major sports equipment manufacturers invest a lot of money, effort, and effort in improving their products. This competence ensures that continuous technological advances are developed which are applied to the various models, increasing the quality, performance, and flashiness of the design.
Thanks to these researches and discoveries, cushioning, durability, and resistance have increased, also gaining comfort and lightness. Air units have been integrated under the heel, the gel has been added to the base to improve cushioning and some models are now made of microfiber.
How to Clean Basketball Shoes?
If you want to have clean basketball shoes and increase their durability, it is important to clean them after each use. In addition to washing them by hand, from time to time it is necessary to carry out a more meticulous cleaning in the parts where you can fit earth and pebbles: to do this, you can use brushes or toothpicks. The most common method is the following:
- Wash your shoes by hand using a small brush and mild soap or detergent.
- Scrub dirty areas with a brush or soap-soaked cloth.
- Rub the soles with a brush on which you will have applied toothpaste and which you will have softened with hot water. With a toothpick, you can reach the smallest holes and remove the earth.
- Rinse with a clean, soft cloth that you have previously moistened.
- Dry the wet parts with a dry cloth and leave the shoes in a ventilated place to complete the drying, but never in the sun.
- Store your shoes in a bag or in a dry place, after making sure they are completely dry.
To choose one of the many products that the market offers, you need to evaluate the aspects that are fundamental to distinguish the quality of the shoes, but above all, you have to find the characteristics that best suit what you need. These are the factors to analyze to make the right purchase:
The design is given by the anatomical and biomechanical studies carried out by the manufacturers, who try to obtain a quality product that supports the difficulties of sport, the conditions of the surfaces on which it is practiced (generally hard and slippery) and the conditions of the climate, if play outdoors.
According to experts, the sole is the most important part of basketball shoes. This is, in fact, a sport where jumps predominate, consequently, the foot can bear up to eight times the weight of the body. The cushioning system is therefore essential to avoid overloading the ankles and knees and to prevent injuries to the back, especially to the spine.
Another essential feature that the sole has to offer is a good grip. The wooden floors of the playing fields are very slippery, especially when they get wet due to the sweat of the players. Good anti-slip characteristics will avoid taking unnecessary risks.
The position you occupy on the court also determines the type of shoes you need to use. There are players who need lightness and freedom of movement, and others who need more ankle protection and good cushioning because they often jump and run the risk of injury by stepping on their opponents’ feet.
These are some of the characteristics depending on the role in the team:
- Playmaker / Guards: They are fast and powerful players who make sudden changes of direction. They need flat shoes.
- Small Wings: They have similar characteristics to the bases and therefore the same type of shoes is recommended.
- Large Wings: They are more corpulent players than the previous ones and usually move in the area closest to the basket, therefore they are exposed to the risk of injury, even if partially endowed with the power of the small wings. The use of medium shoes is recommended.
- Pivot: They are the burliest on the team. They need good cushioning because they constantly jump to rebound, and protection for the ankles, because in the area of the basket there is the risk of falling on the feet of other players and suffering injuries. High shoes are indispensable.
The closure of basketball shoes has its importance because it is part of the elements that help to firmly support the foot. To avoid inconvenience or risk of injury, the ideal is to use the strings, so you can count on a perfect and tailored adjustment, which does not always happen with other types of closures.