At first, glance, especially if those who are about to make the purchase are not exactly experts in the sector, bathroom exhaust fans or vacuum cleaners all look the same. In reality, even if the operating principle is often almost identical, some small details can make the difference, and, to be sure of making a good purchase and definitively solving all the problems of your own blind bathroom, you need to learn to recognize them.
The bathroom exhaust fans are nothing more than a device powered by electricity and used in all those cases, and there is the need to ventilate a blind bathroom, i.e., without a window. They tend to be wall or ceiling mounted and can be small, medium, and large.
The use of a bathroom exhaust fans focuses on its ability to counteract the formation of humidity and mold inside the bathroom, which being windowless is more subject to stagnation of water vapor and, therefore, to the formation of mold on the walls and ceiling.
In this article, we are listing the 11 best bathroom exhaust fans and explain how to choose the most suitable product for you.
- VERSATILE FAN: Ventilation fan helps eliminate , tobacco smoke, and cooking odors and can be installed in either the ceiling or...
- EFFICIENT: Operates on 70 CFM and has a 6.0 Sone rating to ensure a peaceful surrounding when in operation
- EASY INSTALLATION: Torsion springs grille mounting - no tools necessary for a quick and easy installation. Compact housing fits...
- DECORATIVE: Paintable polymeric grilles allow you to ensure the fan is cohesive with your existing decor
- FEATURES: Plug-in, permanently lubricated motor with the Broan-designed polymeric blower wheel for high-quality operation every...
- 39dB QUIET OPERATION：This Fanspex ventilation fan with 100% copper motor, 39dB low noise, comfortable to use without noise...
- HIGH-VELOCITY EXHAUST FAN：110 CFM high velocity air-flow for indoor ventilation, 1 fan can fit room size from 75-108 square ft....
- WITH FRONT PROTECTIVE PANEL: It is a new design of exhaust fan with full screen front panel, easy to clean and anti-water splash.
- EASY TO INSTALL: The fan can be installed as window mount, wall mount, or ceiling mount, just need follow manual installation...
- HIGH QUALITY AFTER-SALES SERVICE: No need worry if there any problems after buy our this fan, just contact us for the details...
- Quiet 2.0 sone ventilation fan (approximately 40 decibels)
- Great for use in your bathroom and other small rooms
- Galvanized steel housing, quick-connect wiring
- UL Listed for over tub and shower with GFCI
- 3-inch duct outlet, joist mount installation
- Bathroom exhaust fan with revolutionary ECM motor and SmartFlow Technology for optimal CFM output
- Built-in Pick-A-Flow airflow selector allows you to select an airflow of 50, 80, or 110 CFM for your vent fan with the flip of a...
- Single-hinged Flex-Z Fast bracket provides flexible, fast, and easy bathroom ceiling installation
- Vent fan with low-profile 5-5/8 housing depth that fits in 2 x 6 joist size or larger
- This Vent Fan Can Be Used To Comply With Ashrae 62.2, Leed, Iap, And California Title 24
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE: This Homewerk's bath fan ensures comfort in your home by quietly eliminating moisture and humidity in the...
- BATH FANS HELPS REMOVE HARSH ODOR: When cleaning the bathroom or toilet, harsh chemicals are used and they can leave an obnoxious...
- BUILD QUALITY: Designed to be corrosion resistant with its galvanized steel construction featuring a grille modern style.
- EASY INSTALLATION: This exhaust bath fan is easy to install with its no-cut design and ceiling mount ventilation. Ceiling Opening...
- HOMEWERKS TRUSTED QUALITY: Be confident in the quality and construction of each and every one of our products. We ensure that all...
- FAN COMBO: Exhaust fan and light combo helps reduce foul smell and and is powerful enough for rooms (including bathroom) up to 45...
- EFFICIENT: Bright 100-watt lighting capacity (bulb not included) with shatter-resistant light diffusing lens to provide...
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easy to install and/or replace existing product for DIY'ers. Includes polymeric duct connectors with tapered...
- DECORATIVE: Designer styled white polymeric grille complements virtually any decor. Recommended Room Size (Sq. Ft.):45. Grille...
- If you are purchasing this item in Vermont, Washington, Colorado, Washington DC, Oregon, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or New York...
- HIGH-QUALITY FAN: Quiet certified exhaust fan operates with 50 CFM and 0.4 Sones to help control air quality is powerful enough...
- With LED Light: Operates on 12W LED light, 120° beam angle, 5000K daylight. High brightness LED Beads and Isolated Driver without...
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easy to install and/or replace existing product for DIY'ers. Housing measures 11.25" x 11.25" x 5.9", perfect...
- SAFE: This exhaust fan is UL listed for use over bathtub or shower when installed with a GFCI protected branch circuit
- Our Warranty: Backed by 1-year limited manufacturer's warranty. Be confident in the quality and construction of each Hykolity...
- Energy Star qualified with innovative brushless DC motor technology
- In humidity sensing mode, the Fan will start when humidity is above 60%, and will stop when humidity is below 60% automatically
- UL approved for Ceiling or wall mount installation, the only 7.5 inch x 7.25 inch small size bath Fan in the market
- Compact housing for easy retrofit and replacement of older bath fans, quiet operation at 2.0 sones
- Energy efficiency rating approximately 5.8 CFM/watt, blue and Amber LED indicator light to show humidity sensor and full speed...
- Smart Ventilation: ECM motor with SmartFlow technology senses static pressure for ideal CFM output
- Pick-A-Flow Speed Selector: Select desired airflow from 50, 80, 110 CFM
- Precision spot ventilation fan, ideal for residential construction (single and multifamily) and manufactured homes
- Optional built-in Multi-Speed Control for ASHRAE 62.2 compliance
- 【Power Fan & Low Noise】Quiet, energy efficient bathroom exhaust fan come with 110 CFM large airflow capacity to help control...
- 【Integrated Exhaust Fan, Easy to Install】The bathroom fan installation process is simple enough that you can complete the...
- 【Detachable 4 Inch Polymeric Duct】Our household exhaust fan for bathroom ceiling equipped with 4 inch detachable polymeric...
- 【Multiple Use Scenarios】13B-110 bathroom vent fan is applicable to the bathroom, bedroom, cloakroom and other enclosed spaces...
- 【Housing Size】Housing size of household ventilation fan BPT13B series are 7 1/2 x 7 1/4 inch, an appropriate opening size....
- HIGH-QUALITY FAN: Quiet, ENERGY STAR certified exhaust fan operates with 110 CFM and 1.0 Sones to help control air quality is...
- EFFICIENT: Powerful ventilation reduces to quickly eliminate fogged mirrors at 110 CFM, so your vision will always be clear and...
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easy to install new/replace existing product with retrofit installations that can be done entirely from the...
- RELIABLE PERFORMANCE: With our TrueSeal Damper Technology, InVent fans reduce air leakage by up to 50% compared to competitive...
- GREAT FOR BATHROOM: UL Listed for use over tubs and showers with a GFCI circuit so you can capture the steam before it spreads...
Buyer Guide to Choose the Best Exhaust Fans for Bathrooms
If you have to settle for a small room without a natural ventilation system, you could quickly run into problems such as stagnation of excessive humidity, with consequent formation of mold and bad smells. With the excellent exhaust fan, we solve all these problems, because thanks to its structure and its peculiar characteristics, it can make every environment healthier and perfectly habitable.
When It Is Necessary
When in our home, there is a toilet without windows or other openings that allow for proper natural ventilation, it is necessary to install a mechanical system that performs this function; in particular, you will need a blind bathroom vacuum cleaner. This situation often occurs in very small houses, where the toilet was obtained from a small room, between two other rooms, away from the external walls. Or it occurs frequently in-service toilets, smaller than the main ones, sometimes positioned on the verandas.
The lack of ventilation of the service areas can be the cause of various problems which, in the long run, can lead to health problems for those who live in those rooms and damage to walls and walls. One of the main possible complications concerns humidity. The systems, in particular those of tubs and showers, create steam and condensation which risk, in an unventilated room, to stagnate inside, causing stains on the walls, which tend to worsen over time until damage to the plaster and formation of real mold.
Reduces the Problem of Bad Smells and The Proliferation of Viruses and Bacteria
These consequences entail the need to operate particular treatments with a considerable cost and time expenditure and equally important damage to health. Installing a bathroom exhaust fans, on the other hand, allows you to always count on correct ventilation and therefore to remove, by means of suction, the humidity, and any condensation, also avoiding the risk of damaging the furniture covering and finishes in the long run, especially if it is wooden furniture and not recently built.
Natural ventilation, through windows or air ducts, is the most desirable solution but when it is not possible you can rely on valid extractors for blind bathrooms, which operate a ventilation, called forced, of the saturated air present in the toilet to make it healthier in a simple and effective way. It is recommended to combine this solution, which is always the most decisive in the short and long term, with other measures such as the installation of insulating panels, ceramic or porcelain stoneware tiles, and the use of anti-mold paints.
The models that are currently on the market are rather simple and practical, with various options to meet all needs. The shape of a bathroom exhaust fans varies according to the type; however, we can identify some common and fundamental elements of the most used models. This tool consists of
- External grill
- Internal grill
- Pipe or conduit
- Bathroom fan
- Electric motor
Once the hole on the wall has been made, to create a channel between the inside and the outside, the bathroom fan covered by the internal grill is inserted, while the external one will close the system on the opposite side. This is the example of the simplest and most common bathroom extractor fan, the one with an outward discharge.
Working of Bathroom Exhaust Fan
It is simple to illustrate how the bathroom exhaust fans work. Once connected to the power supply, suction is carried out by means of a bathroom air extractor, driven by the movement of the blades, generally wing-shaped, and subsequently conveyed to the outside. The expulsion can take place directly or with the aid of a duct if the thickness of the masonry requires it, continuously or intermittently, with the power button.
If the external wall is close to the service, you can easily opt for this solution; however, it is not always possible if the outside is not immediately accessible. If you find yourself in this situation, it is necessary to choose a bathroom exhaust fan without external exhaust, which works in a similar way as regards the suction of the air, which is not, however, directed outside but purified through internal activated carbon filters. The latter, through the internal chamber in which the coal granules are located, release it clean, dehumidified, and free of odors.
The first option, where possible, is always to be preferred since a bathroom vacuum cleaner with filter without outward discharge is not a perfect humidity bathroom vacuum cleaner since it does not operate a real air circulation and therefore does not fully solve the problems mentioned in about the particular issue of the wet. Activated carbon filters must be replaced on a regular basis, and moreover, these devices require a greater flow rate; consequently, they also involve a more expensive investment in economic terms.
Solution for Small Service Rooms
The design of a bathroom extractor fan varies according to the type of appliance. The market offers numerous options to make a choice as close as possible to your aesthetic tastes and the style of the bathrooms in the house, whether they are simple, refined, or extremely modern. We find models without frills and basics with coarse plastic lids that allow you to glimpse the blades or tubular duct models that are inherent in the cavity, on which there is no internal grid.
Finally, there are also extra thin, essential and elegant design items, therefore perfect even if combined with a particularly refined and contemporary style of furniture, which are equipped with cover panels that make them practically invisible to the eye, blending perfectly with the wall.
Materials and Dimensions
One element to pay attention to is the quality of the materials, as some of the components will be installed outdoors, therefore exposed to environmental factors. Some companies opt for special coatings, such as plastic resins, characterized by a special protection from UV rays, which greatly increases the degree of durability of the device. In fact, continuous exposure to sunlight can cause premature aging and damage to materials that are not sufficiently resistant.
Operation of Exhaust Fan
The exhaust can operate simultaneously with the lighting provided for the room in which it is located when we press the lighting button, and it will automatically start, or it will have to be started separately by reserving a dedicated switch, a desirable option if you want to extend the fan action without necessarily keeping the light on, thus having the certainty of eliminating odors and humidity without unnecessary waste of electricity.
Speed of Exhaust Fan
The speed of a bathroom exhaust fans can sometimes be regulated with two possibilities, one slower and the other faster, however very often, the most common models have a single option, without having the possibility to manage it independently. In addition, there is a model of automatic bathroom vortex extractor available on the market, equipped with fins that open when they are turned on and close when they are turned off.
Flow Rate and Power
To identify the perfect extractor for the bathroom that solves the ventilation problem in your service compartment very well, before purchasing, it is essential to carry out a series of evaluations aimed at finding the model that best suits the specific characteristics of your environment, so that it has a real effectiveness. So, taking these points into consideration is necessary to find the best product. As a preliminary, it is necessary to consider
- The volume of the space to be aerated, expressed in cubic meters (m³)
- Number of systems present (shower, bathtub, sink, etc.)
- Where it will be installed in ceiling, wall or window
Another important feature of the bathroom vacuum cleaner, to be assessed in relation to our needs, concerns the size specifically referred to the size of the outlet hole. We can choose between an 80 mm bathroom extractor, a 90 mm bathroom extractor, or a 100 mm diameter bathroom extractor. For larger rooms, it is also possible to find ducts with a diameter of 120 mm or 150 mm.
If you are in the presence of pipes several meters long, you will need an appliance capable of working with a higher pressure as opposed to what occurs in the presence of a reduced cavity or connected directly to the outside. The pressure value can be found in the product data sheets and is expressed in Pa; in general, it is the centrifugal structure models that present a higher pressure.
Types and Options
Although this is a rather simple device, there is not only one type of bathroom vacuum cleaner, but it is distinguished in three types.
The first is the excellent helical aspirator, which, through the movement of the blades, sucks and discharges in parallel on the motor axis, obtaining a simple and direct air circulation. This type, due to the medium power, is ideal in the presence of medium long pipes, in which there must not be a long distance to travel, but at the same time, they have a high extraction capacity.
The second type includes centrifugal extractors, also called radial, which is equipped with a chamber characterized by the particular spiral shape, called the auger, into which the centrifuged air flows from a bathroom suction fan. Extraction takes place along the motor axis, while unloading takes place perpendicularly to the same. These models, despite a lower capacity, are very performing in case of ventilation in very long pipes, unlike the first ones, thanks to their considerable suction power.
Axial Bath Extractor
Finally, the third and last type is that of the most common and simple axial bath extractor, also called inline, because it fits directly into the duct through which to extract and suck the air. As for the first type, here too the ventilation takes place parallel to the motor axis. The installation is quite simple since they are suitable for those situations in which the pipes are very short, given the not excessive suction power that occurs directly and linearly. The latter are the models that are most frequently purchased by consumers.
Among the options that we can find installed on the basic models, we find the timer, which mainly allows you to set a time interval in which the appliance continues to operate after the switch has been turned off. A bathroom exhaust fans with a timer will continue to work for a period of minutes preset by us freely, through the buttons that are usually found under the grill. The time interval ranges from a minimum of two minutes to a maximum of twenty.
Automatic Exhaust Fans
It is also possible to find on the market a type of bathroom vacuum sensor humidity sensor, which detects the percentage of humidity present in the environment and is automatically activated when a certain value is exceeded, which usually is around 65%, and switches off the appliance when optimal values are reached. In addition, some models are equipped with an additional modern system with a motion sensor, or PIR presence sensor, which allows the bathroom exhaust fans to activate if it perceives or recognizes that there is a person inside the room, within a distance. of about 2-3 meters and an amplitude of visibility of 30 °.
If you are not an electrician or DIY enthusiast, for the installation of this type of appliance, it is advisable to request the assistance of an electrician or an expert, but if you have knowledge of electrical engineering and you are ready, you can try yourself to implement some short steps. It will be sufficient to pay attention and follow the basic procedure on how to install a bathroom exhaust fans with an external drain on a wall, that is the simplest and most common purchase choice among those who need a bathroom vacuum cleaner to ventilate this environment.
Steps to Install Exhaust Fan
You must first disconnect the power and then
- Find the exact point for installation both indoors and outdoors.
- Trace the diameter with a pencil and then the complete area dedicated to the air intake.
- Drill a first hole in the center of this area.
- Drill the other holes until the space on the wall is completely empty.
- Repeat the operation on the external wall.
- If necessary, insert a conduit into the cavity.
- Seal the crack around the duct outside (polyurethane foam useful).
- Complete with exterior putty.
- Apply a strip of silicone to the edge of the external grill and secure it in the hole.
- In the internal wall, fix the vortex bathroom fan.
- Use the terminals to make the electrical connections with the light switch.
- Fasten the grille template on the wall with screws.
This procedure is not very complicated, however in the event that your room has particular characteristics or it is the area where you want to install it that has specific and more delicate needs, we recommend contacting an expert who will be able to provide you with the correct service. To insert it on the ceiling, you must pay particular attention to fixing it between the joists in an area free of pipes.
For the recirculation of air inside a blind compartment, the best bathroom vacuum cleaners are available on the market, from the cheapest to the most expensive, which operates correctly.
It is important when considering which to choose from the wide range of bathroom exhaust fans, to analyze the size of the environment to calculate the flow rate, expressed in m³ / h, linked to the diameter of the duct and the suction power. Finally, it is important to consider the noise level so that it does not become a disturbing element.