If you’ve come across this guide, it’s because you’re going to buy a ceiling fan. You will have your reasons, but mainly you will find it a useful device that refreshes the environment, without weighing too much on energy consumption.
There are many types, and it is normal not to know how to choose it, without evaluating its performance and style of person.
You will already know that most devices of this type now also include lighting. So there are many things to evaluate! And that’s why our guide will help you, both to get to know the ceiling fans better and to find the best one on the market.
Here we had listed out some of the best quality of ceiling fans that are present below.
- 96" blade span. 16-degree blade pitch. 180 x 20 mm DC motor size. Canopy is 5.75" high x 2.25" wide.
- Oil-rubbed bronze finish motor. Six oil-rubbed bronze finish metal blades.
- Full-function 5-speed hand-held remote control system included. Casa Vieja brand large ceiling fan. Damp location rated.
- Metal fan blades must be mounted at least 10-feet from the floor.
- 9" downrod included. Ceiling to bottom of blades is 17.5" (with 9" downrod).
- 52 Inch Ceiling Fan with Lights: Sofucor 52 inch wood ceiling fan suits for medium or larger size room from 100sq.ft up to...
- Modern Ceiling Fan: Reversible AC motor can cool down your room during summer, and help rotate warm air and cutting down on energy...
- Dimmalbe LED Light Kit: Dimmable 15W warm light can save energy and changes the visual appearance and mood of your space. You can...
- Farmhouse Ceiling Fan with Remote: The led lights ceiling fan comes with hand-held remote control. 3 speeds let you choose your...
- Easy to install: Come with 3 down-rods: 5 inch / 10 inch / 24 inch, for low ceilings or high ceilings. And the walnut ceiling fan...
- STYLISH: Level up your decorative aesthetic with stylish blades and finishes. Perfect for living rooms, bedrooms, dens and more
- REVERSIBLE BLADES: Each blade has a reversible finish, allowing you to find the perfect match for your favorite spaces.
- INDOOR USE: This fan is specifically designed to be used indoors.
- CONVIENTLY QUIET: Quiet reversible motor. Enjoy this fan in the winter and summer seasons.
- EASY-TO-INSTALL: You’ll have this fan up in less than an hour.
- DESIGN: Sleek, Contemporary and Industrial in design, the Minka-Aire Xtreme 72" is designed in a Brushed Nickel finish with Nine...
- INCLUDED: RC400 - Six-speed hand-held remote with On/Off plus full-range light dimming, Forward and Reverse function, and 6"...
- MOTOR: Conveniently quiet, 6 speed - reversible DC motor. Run Summer and Winter to aid in rotating air and cutting down on energy...
- DIMENSIONS: Measures 13.5'' from the ceiling to the lowest point of the fan with the included 6" downrod. This Sleek Ceiling Fan...
- ADDITIONAL: Requires Bond hub BD-1000 (sold separately) to work with Amazon Alexa or Google Home. Optional WC400 wall control can...
- Finish: Architectural Bronze
- Material: Steel/Plywood
- MAVERICK OUTDOOR CEILING FAN DIMENSIONS: Diameter: 70"; Height: 13.7" (From Ceiling to Bottom of Fan Housing, Includes 6"...
- FAN BLADES: 3 Outdoor Approved Dark Walnut Blades (70" Span / 13° Blade Pitch); CFM: 9018
- FAN CONTROL: Includes 6-Speed FAN CONTROL: Includes 6-Speed Hand-Held Remote Control with Reversing Function-Held Remote Control...
- INSTALLATION: Installable on Flat Ceiling with Included Hardware; UL & ULC Approved for DAMP Locations
- DETAILS: Matte Black Finish; Premium Power Energy-Efficient 85 X 28 mm DC Motor and Precision Balanced Blades for Quiet and...
- NAUTICAL CEILING FAN: The traditional Sea Wind fan comes with white reversible blades that will keep home interior inspired;...
- MULTI-SPEED REVERSIBLE FAN MOTOR: Whisper Wind motor delivers ultra-powerful airflow with quiet performance; Change the direction...
- PULL CHAIN CONTROL: Turn the white ceiling fan on/off and adjust the speed quickly and easily with the pull chains
- ROOM PLACEMENT: Indoor/outdoor fan is designed to be used in rooms with low ceilings, the low-profile housing fits flush to the...
- 【3 Colors Ceiling Fan Light】The chandelier ceiling fan includes 3 Colors Light, White Light/Neutral Light/Warm Light, It can...
- 【Shabby Chic Retractable Ceiling Fan Innovative Design 】Retractable Ceiling Fans and LED Chandelier 42 In,It Is Very...
- 【Retractable Blade Design】 With 4 retractable acrylic ceiling fan blades,blades will stretch out and put inside automatically...
- 【Silent Motor】Smart invisible ceiling fan lights with remote control glass lampshade and 4 acrylic brown blades, 3-speed...
- 【What You Get】1* 42" Crystal Ceiling Fan Light 1* Remote Control, our worry and friendly customer service.
- [CLASSICAL CEILING FAN] Chriari ceiling fan is the perfect combination of classic and technology. 3 mahogany blades are carved...
- [STRONG & QUIET] Features a 65W DC copper core motor. 240r/min in full speed model - 30% faster than other fans. The volume is...
- [EASY to INSTALL] Most of the functional components have been assembled. You can save on the expensive cost of hiring an...
- [REMOTE CONTROL] Easily adjust the lighting of the ceiling fan (white light - warm light - yellow light), 6 wind speeds, and...
- [FRIENDLY CUSTOMER SERVICE] We provide an 18-month worry-free warranty for every customer. In addition, we also provide 24-hour...
- With unmatched versatility, this contemporary design in Brushed Nickel instantly takes center stage and becomes the focal point of...
- Plus, this vanity light fits well with many different décors, including transitional and modern.
- 14" pitch, includes a 6" downrod of 1" (O.D.). Works with ceilings up to 30 degree or 7/12 pitch. It comes with 78" lead wire for...
- Provides ambient lighting, which provides overall illumination to the area.
- For perfect ambient light, it provides a 17W dimmable integrated LED platform. The DC motor is the ultimate in energy efficient...
What to Look for Before Buying Ceiling Fan?
If you need to freshen a room, there is nothing better than a ceiling fan. But that’s not all: even if you also want to give a touch of modern design to your home one of these appliances can help you.
Choosing the right ceiling fan is not easy; we agree. This is why we answer the most frequently asked questions that users who, like you, want to make such a purchase.
Why Is the Ceiling Fan an Interesting Purchase?
First of all, we give you a good reason: because it will save you on the electricity bill. As warm air moves down in winter, and vice versa, heating and air conditioning costs can be reduced.
As if that were not enough, it is an ideal complement to decorate your home, and you can also add lighting.
How Do You Define a Ceiling Fan?
These mechanical, usually electrical, objects have rotating blades mounted on a hub to circulate the air. The most modern ceiling fans have an electric switch to reverse the rotation of the blades, depending on whether it is activated in winter or summer.
These devices were born in the United States, particularly between 1860 and 1870. In the beginning, they were not driven by an electric motor, but they resorted to the current given by the water together with a turbine.
This system allowed two blades to spin through a belt system. It can still be seen in the southern United States today.
What Exactly Is the Reverse Function of A Ceiling Fan?
The reverse function allows you to use the device on both summer and winter days. The hot air weighs less than the cold air and, therefore, when the winter function is activated, the device shifts the heat downwards.
In particular, the ceiling fan rotates counterclockwise in summer and vice versa in winter.
When Are Ceiling Fans Indicated?
In essence, they are perfect when the heat is not excessive, and you can do without an air conditioner. Also, even when air conditioning is needed, the ceiling fan will help you cut your electricity bill.
These appliances move the air and, even if they do not cool the room, they give an unsurpassed feeling of freshness.
What Advantages and Disadvantages Does a Ceiling Fan Offer?
The ceiling fan is an efficient device. It contributes to the ventilation of a room and adds more style to its decoration.
As a decorative accessory, it is essential to know how to choose it correctly. Still, we must also know its advantages and disadvantages so as not to be caught by surprise. We list them in the following table:
- Ventilation, Cooling
- The airflow that generates the fan keeps insects away.
- They can’t cool the air like air conditioning.
- They can be dangerous.
Do Ceiling Fans Not Cool Rooms?
No, they do not reduce the temperature of the room, but they influence the thermal sensation of people.
The refreshing sensation is obtained through two forms of cooling of the human body: convection and evaporation. The air on the skin is obtained thanks to the evaporation process in the body, generating freshness.
Many soon became popular in restaurants, shops and offices, places where it was convenient to refresh the environment.
How Do You Turn on Ceiling Fans Today?
Today you will find a wide range of ceiling fans on the market. From its origins, the design of these devices has evolved enormously. So even though in the nineteenth century only chains were used to turn it on and off, today there are many more formulas.
We explain them to you in the following list:
- Chain or tie rod. In this case, you leave the wall switch on, and you have one fan chain and one for lighting. Besides, only one of the functions can be used with the wall switch. Just type OFF when you prefer to leave it inactive and activated in the fan or lighting function, depending on your needs.
- Wall switch. Only the wall switch can be used, as indicated in the previous option. This option can be very convenient if the chain is located in a very distant point.
- Only with remote control. This option requires the wall switch to be in ON mode. If the remote control has a memory, it does not matter if you turn the switch off and on, because the device “remembers” which function was active. If the remote control has no memory, you will need to turn it on again.
- Chain and remote control combination. In this case, if you want to work only with the wall switch, the chain must be activated. If, on the contrary, you want it to work with the remote control, you must begin the chain and put the wall switch in ON mode. This formula of a combination of remote control and chains is familiar in ceiling fans with light.
At What Height Should the Ceiling Fans Are Positioned?
If the ceilings in the room are very high, you can always install an extension. As a general rule, the minimum height is 2.20 meters, while the maximum height is three meters.
These figures may vary slightly depending on the manufacturer. Generally, the instructions indicate the appropriate measures for its installation.
Are the Ceiling Fans Noisy?
Basically, the higher the speed level, the higher the noise. Those with longer blades are quieter, but the speed is slower.
Also, the more blades, the more silence, but also more engine effort. There are also fans with direct current (DC) motors, very silent, which represent the latest trend in this sector.
What Types of Motors Have Ceiling Fans?
The more powerful the engine, the more the air moves. There are two types of motors: alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC) machines. The former is cheaper but overheat more.
The latter, more modern, are more expensive but are quiet and low consumption. There are still a few on the market.
Which Type of Ceiling Fan Is Ideal for The Bathroom?
You will find many models on the market, but it is not the same thing to install such a device in the living room rather than in the bathroom. In the latter case, it is better not to choose ceiling fans with wooden blades.
They are delightful to look at but can deform when they stay in a wet area for a long time. Furthermore, they are not recommended for outdoors, where the best choice falls on steel.
You will find so many models of ceiling fans on the market that you will need to compare several items before purchasing one.
In this section, we will show you some essential criteria before deciding on a particular product. Therefore, you can select the best device, both to cool the environment and save money or just to decorate:
- Space size
- Type of light
- Energy consumption
- Blade material
- Direction of rotation
We have already dealt with this aspect in the previous section, but we remind you that in homes, it is better than the devices used are silent.
In addition to the m² of the room, you should check the ceiling height. The longer the blades are, the more air will be able to move. Do not forget this criterion, fundamental when installing the fan.
Type of Light
If possible, choose models compatible with LED light. LED bulbs are not only more environmentally friendly, but they also consume less.
In any case, on the market, you will find three different types of lighting. In the following list, we tell you what the advantages of the different types of light for these devices are:
- Spotlights. They have different points of light, so they are ideal if you want to add another touch to a room. Furthermore, they allow the installation of low consumption light bulbs.
- Ceiling lamps. They only have one light point, so they are indicated when you want to add a particular type of atmosphere to a room. Remember that they usually have low power, a maximum of 60 watts (W).
- Tulips. They usually offer three to four lighting points. In general, it is possible to choose LED lights, low consumption and halogen lamps.
If you don’t want the energy expenditure to skyrocket, choose ceiling fans with a maximum power of 60 watts (W). These devices don’t come close to consuming an air conditioner, but you have to think about it before deciding.
The figure to be evaluated does not include light bulbs, which, as far as possible, should be low consumption.
In general, ceiling fans have three-speed levels. Keep in mind that the third level can be louder. The adjustable speed allows you to choose the ventilation you want at any time. There are also models with multiple speed levels, although they tend to be more expensive. You choose.
On the market, you will find three different materials for the blades: metal, wood and plastic. The easiest to combine and the most aesthetically pleasing are the wooden ones.
However, they can deteriorate with humidity and are not recommended in bathrooms, outdoors and in the kitchen. Plastic can turn yellow, and finally, metal ones are easier to clean.
Direction of Rotation
As already described in another section, many current fans incorporate the reverse function. Not all ceiling fans offer this functionality, which is undoubtedly very practical. Choose a device with a reverse position so you can use it both in summer and during cold winters. You will not regret it.
We have already mentioned this topic, but let’s add some information in this section. Some people need total darkness to sleep, and others who require absolute silence.
If you are one of these last people, choose devices with long blades. If you have the chance, opt for a DC motor, faster and much quieter.
Keep in mind where you intend to place the device. If it is for the exterior, you should evaluate a material such as steel, which does not deteriorate over time.
If it is for indoor use, do not choose wooden blades for damp or hot environments, such as the kitchen and bathroom. Finally, remember that manufacturers usually offer spare parts.