The tape measure or measuring tape is an ideal tool for making measurements. Taking the right measures is one of the most important tasks in any job. Not in vain is there the saying: “measure twice, cut only once”. Making mistakes when taking measurements can be serious, which is why meters are such useful tools.
Tape meters, usually called just meters, have a wide variety of formats and patterns. The most common ones are formed by a thin, flexible and rollable tape, on which the measurements appear.
Here we have selected the best digital tape measures that are listed below.
- ▲2-in-1 MEASURE - This laser measuring tape combines a 131 Ft laser measure with a 16 Ft tape measure, which makes your work much easier; Long press the “UNIT” button 2s to switch unit among M/In/Ft freely, decimal and fractions can be displayed to satisfy your all needs; Supports self-calibration of distance with the front reference and the end reference function
- ▲EXCELLENT ACCURACY - It’s available with continuous measure, accurate distance can be read within the effective range while moving; Accuracy:±1/16 inch; Double sensing holes make the stability of measurement improve significantly; 2 scales with metric and imperial is perfect for accurate measurement
- ▲MAGNETIC HOOK - It can attach to any ferrous material sturdily, which greatly enhances the stability of the blade; Movable magnetic hook improves accuracy for measurement of inside and outside; The measuring tape can be carried to any place easily with wrist strap and belt clip
- ▲ENERGY SAVING & NYLON COATING - Laser will auto-off without operation after 20s and LCD can auto-off after suspending 150s, saving your energy; Press the button “UNIT” + “READ” to turn off the item; Nylon coating on double sided scale makes the tape measure more wearable and convenient for using
- ▲WHAT YOU GET - TM-L01 laser measurement tape; 2 AAA batteries; Screwdriver; English User Manual; Package Box; Service Card; 24 Months Service; Class II laser production<1mW power output
- Sync data to app. Smart Digital body tape connects with Fitindex app via Bluetooth 4.0 or above. Download Fitindex app through the app store or Google Play for free also can be used with Fitindex series scale.
- Large, bright and clear LED monitor display, visualize reading, easy to read and get measure data. Easy to operate with a single hand and measure body part quickly.
- ACCURATE MEASUREMENT. Retracting button and pin lock help you fix body part and get accurate measurements, fast to get your waist-to-hip ratio or other body part’s value.
- Record measurement, track data with a weekly, monthly, yearly chart. Fitindex app recording stats of neck, shoulder, bicep, chest, waist, hip, thigh, calf up to 8 body parts , can add unlimited users for whole family use, view stats with a floating chart.
- 2 UNITS AND MEASURE MODE. Both measure inches(Max: 60’’) and centimetre (Max:152 cm), length and circumference. Great for weight loss, muscle gain, bodybuilding, fabric tailor, sewing, handcraft. Fitindex digital smart tape is powered by a CR2032 lithium coin battery (package included).
- INNOVATIVE - 2In1 design combines 130ft/40m laser distance measure and 16ft/5m AutoLock tape measure
- INSTRUMENT - Smooth Single-Button operation provides quick and easy long distance laser measurements & Feet to Metric unit switch
- PRECISION - fractional & continuous measurements displayed on a large LCD screen are accurate to ±1/16 inch - Up to 130ft/40m
- COMFORTABLE - Anti-skid high impact rubberized ABS case, AutoLock tape mechanism, 3/4" dual-sided print scale with nylon coating and true-zero magnetic hook
- FEATURES - Auto Off technology, Belt clip, Stud center markings, One year warranty, 2*AAA battery and screwdriver included.
- Accurate measuring: ensure that your measurements are accurate and easy to read when equipped with this Etape16 digital tape measure for residential or commercial projects.
- Durable construction: this digital tape measure is crafted with weather-resistant polycarbonate plastic for durability and boasts a bright red color to easily locate in your tool box.
- Multiple memory functions: with three memory functions and a side button wheel to access functions, you can measure multiple areas with ease without having to write down the calculations.
- Time-saving tool: spend less time recording measurements and more time getting work done when you add this digital tape measure to your collection of tools.
- Us/metric conversion: let this digital tape measure do the work for you, offering accurate readings and US/metric conversion with a re-zero option.
- ▶2-in-1 Laser Tape Measure: This Laser Distance Measure combines 131ft/40m Laser Measure and 16.5ft/5m Tape Measure in one. Long press the “±/U” button to switch the unit among M/In/Ft. Supports self-calibration of distance with the front reference and the end reference function. Pull out the tape, and the tape will lock automatically. Widely used in interior design, construction and industry, especially in large areas such as room, apartment, building, factory,warehouse
- ▶Digital Tape Measure with Multiple Measuring Modes: This Laser Measuring Tape provides multiple measuring modes, such as length measurement, single measurement, continuous measurement, area/volume/Pythagoras measurement, and more instant calculations. A useful measuring tool for your DIY and constructions
- ▶Laser Distance Measure with White LCD Screen: Our Laser Measuring Tape are equipped with white LCD screens,which will display the battery level, measurement reference, measurement mode, unit and calculation result. Able to offer clear readings even under poor lighting
- ▶Fast USB Charging: The Laser Measurement Tool is built in rechargeable lithium battery, more energy-saving to use. After fully charged,it can be used for 8000 times of single measurement, which is superior to other similar products. The laser will turn off automatically after 15s of no operation, and the product will turn off after 45s, so as to saving energy
- ▶Portable Size & High Accuracy: Coming with the light weight of 8.8oz/250g, belt clip and hang rope, the retractable measuring tape is easy to clip on the belt, hang on the wrist or fit in the bag for carrying. With the +/- 2mm accuracy and the Class II laser output power <1mW, it is able to measure the distance within the effective range while moving
- 【TWO-IN-ONE MEASUREMEN】: This laser tape measure includes two mode-131.2FT laser measurement and 16.5FT tape measurement. Long press the "FUNCUNITS" button of this laser measuring tape to switch units among M / In / Ft freely.
- 【MULTI-FUNCTION MODE】: Press the "FUNCUNITS" key to switch the mode of Meterk laser tape measure, followed by area measurement, volume measurement, Pythagorean measurement, double Pythagorean measurement to satisfy your all needs.
- 【HIGH PRECISION】: 40m/13.21ft, laser measurement accuracy: +/- 2mm，It’s available to operate continuous measure, accurate distance can be read within the effective range while moving，Class II laser production<1mW power output.
- 【CONVENIENT TYPE-C USB RECHARGEABLE】: Meterk laser tape measure is rechargeable with a type-c USB, built-in 200mAh lithium battery. It takes only 2 hours to be fully charged. It is can be used 3000 times per full charge, which is faster and stronger than other products on the market .
- 【WHAT WE PROVIDE】: Meterk laser measurement tape; USB charging cable; user manual. If you have any questions, please contact us.
- 🎅 HIGH ACCURACY - The laser type is Class 2, MAX OUTPUT<1mW, λ=620-690nm Equipped with PC optical curved lens, Tavool laser distance measure features high light transmittance to ensure more accurate distance laser measurement. Measure distance up to ±1/16inch to within 165ft and just need 0.3s to get a quick result, accuracy up to three decimals to the right point.A vertical and horizontal bubble level ensuring more precise measuring from a level surface when using this laser tape measure
- 🎅 EASY TO USE＆HIGH DEFINITION - No more worrying about the bulky metal laser tape measures flinging back onto your hands＆head, simply operate 5 buttons to easily measure anywhere even in rooms cluttered with furniture.Specially designed with a high-visibility backlit LCD, Tavool laser digital tape measure has higher definition digitals compared to other brands. No worrying hard viewing even with relatively poor eyesight or using the laser measurement tool in dark areas like the basement etc
- 🎅 VERSATILITY - Unit switches freely from M/In/Ft on this laser tape measure meter, Tavool laser electronic tape measure gets 20 groups data memory, 3mins automatic shutdown, mute function available in library, classroom etc.The laser distance meters include 6 different tape measuring modes for selection, like distance measure, area and volume calculation, Pythagoras measurement etc.Multi practical functions of this laser tape measure allows users to be more productive and make their job easier
- 🎅 WIDE APPLICATION - Widely use in house decoration, building construction, real estate and DIY related, the laser measure is ideal for measuring areas or objects including rooms, apartments, buildings, factories, garage, desks, chairs, sofa, closet, floor, etc.Whether you are a home handyman, decoration designer, construction worker, estate appraiser, DIY homeowner, craftsman, or other professionals, Tavool digital tape measure with laser is a great helper and choice to make measurement
- 🎅 IDEAL ADDITION IN TOOLBOX - Small, light, easy to keep in any pockets, Tavool laser distance measure tool is a great addition to your toolbox.It's also an ideal Christmas gift for family and friends to do DIY at home.WHAT YOU GET: Tavool Laser Distance Meter; 1.5V AAA Batteries; User Manual; Hand Strap; Package Box; Life-time product support.We provide 7*24 hours technical support and customer service, if you have any question, please feel free to let us know
- ▲3-IN-1 MEASUREMEN TOOL -- SLERFT Tape measure combines Laser Measure 131ft/40m, Measuring Tape 16ft/5m, 90°cross line Cross Laser Line 32ft/10m.
- ▲3 Measuring Units -- SLERFT Measuring tape provides 3 different units of measurement selections, you can change the required units among M/In/Ft freely in your measurement.
- ▲MULTI-FUNCTION MODE -- SLERFT Digital laser tape measure for area measurement, volume measurement, Pythagorean measurement, double Pythagorean measurement and Cross Laser Line, cross line laser to satisfy your all needs.
- ▲FEATURES -- Bigger LCD digital display, Instant calculations and continuous measuring,Store up to 20 measurements, laser tape measure auto-off to save energy. Fit different measuring sites and you’re able to change the reference standard.
- ▲FRIENDLY DESIGN -- Sound prompts, each step has an audible prompt. The anti-fall shell, With a lanyard and a back clip, easy to carry ,so you can carry laser measure tape to any place.
- DIGITAL MEASURING TAPE: Don’t second guess your measurements, this all around tape measure is equipped with a precise, easy-to-read digital LED display. Perfect for measuring rooms, furniture, work projects & more.
- 3-IN-1 DESIGN: Features 3 different modes. Roll mode for curved surfaces or irregular objects, Flex Cord mode to measure around objects, and Laser mode for long and hard to reach areas!
- STANDARD & METRIC TAPE MEASURE: The heavy duty measuring tape lets you easily switch from standard to metric measurements. All measurements are precice to 1/100 of an inch.
- AS SEEN ON TV: Ontel Products are composed of many individual brands each serving customers in different ways. Try a variety of products from some of our brands like Pillow Pets, Miracle Socks, Iron Gym, Miracle Bamboo Cushion, Dream Tents, & more.
- INNOVATIVE WITH ONTEL: Since 1994, we’ve been developing, marketing, & distributing some of the most innovative consumer products on the market. From toys, to fitness equipment & household items, we love bringing new ideas into the world.
- VERSATILE: The Laser Tape Measure combines a 50ft laser measurer with a 16ft tape measure
- ONE BUTTON: Simple, one button operation enables fast and easy long distance laser measurements
- MEASURE FASTER and FURTHER: Measure up to 50-feet with the laser, and measure twice as far as a standard 25ft. tape measure
- PRECISE: Measures distances accurately up to 50-feet to within 1/4-inch
- COMPACT SIZE: Portable and compact size easily fits in your hand and can hang on a belt
Digital Tape Measure Buying Guide
Before deciding on a tape measure it is necessary to know all the important aspects of the instrument. There are many different models and materials. Therefore, in the next part of the guide we explained some relevant aspects. Read on for all the answers to the most frequently asked questions.
What Is a Tape Measure?
Tape meters, also known only as meters, are measuring instruments. These are tapes of various materials, although the most common are aluminum and fiberglass.
They include lines marked longitudinally where we can observe the units of measurement and its divisions. They are manual.
They are indispensable tools, useful at any time, for different types of activities.
The units of measurement marked on the tape vary from one region to another depending on the type of tape. It is a tool used since ancient times. It is used in almost all professions, from construction to medicine.
How Many Types of Tape Measure Are There?
There is a great variety of tape meters for a very simple reason, not all surfaces are created equal. These instruments must adapt to what we have to measure and, therefore, each measuring tape must have certain characteristics. Below we present a list with the different types of meters that exist:
- Canvas: this type of tape is the typical tape we all have in the sewing box. It is a tape of some type of tape or plastic material, also called a tailor’s tape because it is particularly useful in tailoring.
- Metal Band: structurally similar to the tailor’s meter, these meters have a thin stainless steel band with the graduated scale engraved or drawn on it. They are more rigid, therefore more stable than the previous ones, and allow more precise measurements.
- Metric Roller: also called metric rope, it is a tape measure which must be wound manually with a crank on a spool winder.
- Measuring Tape: it is the type of tape measure most used nowadays. It has a winder and a flexible metal tape that rewinds automatically.
- Meter for Surveyor: it is used to measure a field or aground, it has handled to be rewound and can reach lengths up to 100 meters. Today I am a little disused because replaced by laser rangefinders.
Where Is a Tape Measure Formed?
Tape measures are very simple tools. The central part is the same tape. Some, such as those used in medicine or tailoring, is simply a roll of fabric that rolls up. They are the most common and are formed only by the tape and a metal tip that serves as a guide. Obviously, there are more complex ones.
Tapes used in other professions usually have multiple parts. In construction, for example, they usually have a protective cover and a magnetic L-bracket on the outside. Many have rewind cranks and clutch buttons. Below we will explain the parts of a tape measure.
- Tape: it is a tape (of canvas, fiberglass, plastic, or metal) on which the measurements are marked. Usually, they are flexible tapes. There are different sizes, such as 2, 3, 5, and up to 30 meters.
- Recoil Pad: all flexometers have a recoil pad at the end. It is an L-shaped bracket made of metal and serves as a stop during the rolling of the tape, as well as facilitating the taking of measurements. Metric wheels, 20 meters or more, are used to having a metal ring instead of the butt plate. In many models the butt plate is magnetic
- Reel: the models of tape measure used in construction, DIY, and metallurgy usually have a protective casing, called a reel. These models rewind automatically through an internal mechanism. The hose reel is usually airtight, dust, and moisture-proof.
- Clutch Button: Flexometers usually have a clutch. If pressed, secure the measuring tape in peace and comfort. When the tape is released it rewinds
How Does a Tape Measure Work?
Tape meters are one of the easiest tools to use. You just have to unroll them and measure the surface. After the measurement, you must write down the result and continue with the work.
In the face of this apparent simplicity, it is in measurement where multiple errors are made. For this reason, it is better to be careful and measure twice.
In some works you will find situations, where the distance to be measured, is greater than the length of the tape. This situation can be solved by applying what is called PON (Normal Operating Procedure). This procedure is based on establishing goals or markings at the different points of the measurement.
What Use and Application Does the Tape Measure Have?
Tape meters have many types of applications and use in everyday life. Many times we don’t pay attention to it and tend to forget their usefulness.
For example, in medical check-ups, they are used to measure height, but also coordination and balance. With the tape on the floor, the doctor invites a patient to walk on it.
Its function is to measure any type of surface or object. There are different types of tape measure depending on the characteristics of what we need to measure.
Ribbons are indispensable tools in any profession. They are especially used in carpentry and construction, where exact measurements are needed.
What Materials Are Tape Measure Made Of?
As we have seen, essentially the materials depend on the type of tape. The roll-up tape measures are made of aluminum alloys.
These narrow and flat ribbons are flexible but retain a certain rigidity that allows maintaining the shape and position. There are usually magnetic metalheads that are used to hold the tape in place. The winding structures are usually made of resistant plastic.
Other models of tape measure can be in fabric, but also in vinyl or some type of fiberglass. These tapes do not need to be rigid, unroll, and leave on the ground or used for circumferences.
They usually have metal rings or hooks to fix and measure them comfortably, while the winders, where present, are made of plastic.
When choosing a tape measure, it is imperative that you pay attention to certain aspects of the product. Below we offer you a guide with the most important purchase criteria. Follow our recommendations, as there are many models and brands on the market. If you want to choose a quality tool, follow these criteria:
- Tape length
- Ribbon material
- Size and weight
The length of the tape varies according to the models. Typical tailor tapes are usually 2 meters long. Those used in construction and topography can measure up to 30 meters.
The length of the tape depends on the model you choose and therefore on the use you will make of it. For domestic use, the best is 3 or 5 meters.
For more professional uses we can find tapes between 15 and 30 meters. If you need to measure a field or land, you will need a tape measure from a land surveyor, which as we have seen are used to measure large lengths up to 100 meters.
As we have seen, measuring tapes have several pieces: the tape, the reminder, and others. The winder is the first thing you will see and it is what keeps the tape inside.
It is important that the casing is durable and if it is dust and moisture-proof, better. We recommend that you choose a solid model that withstands blows or falls, for safety.
The ribbon is another important element. We recommend that you choose a metal model. They are used to being flexible as well as rigid. It is important that they maintain a certain level of rigidity as they will have to remain stable during the measurement.
Choose stainless steel models that withstand the wear and tear of time and continuous use.
Weight and Thickness
We recommend that you choose a lightweight tape measure. It is a tool that you will use many times and you will have to take it often with you. It is important that it does not weigh or is cumbersome.
Self-winding measuring tapes usually weigh about 200 grams and include accessories for hanging them, to ensure they don’t disturb or are heavy.
In addition to the length, also consider the thickness of the tape. We recommend that you choose one as fine as possible, but that it also has sufficient resistance to its own weight when lying down.
Some tape meters are simply what their name indicates: a numbered tape. Others, however, have many extras. The more sophisticated have built-in laser meters or metal plates that allow them to be used as a compass for circumferential measurements.
Accessories raise the price, so be careful. Most of the measuring tapes have, as we have seen, a resistant plastic winder.
They usually also include a clutch button, which is very useful. It is also the metal butt plate that allows you to fix the measurement if it is even better magnetic. Finally, you should pay attention to extras like the belt hook, which will help you carry it.
As we have already explained to you in the previous paragraphs, there are different types of tape measures. This is because each surface has its own characteristics.
Before buying a tape measure you have to think about what you will do with it. It is not the same thing to work in home DIY projects rather than to make bespoke clothes.
We advise you to choose the tape measure that best suits you. So keep in mind the different types of materials on each tape. For example, those used to measure large soils are usually made of fiber. They are much longer and have handles for winding and rings to secure them.
On the internet, it is risky to buy a product that has few comments and ratings. As a buyer, you will feel much more comfortable with products that have a lot of opinions, especially if they are positive. We advise you to always choose a tape measure that has been well evaluated and commented on by other users.
Evaluations are another important thing. Many buyers don’t bother to comment but offer their ratings. The best products are those that receive good ratings. Also, pay attention to this factor before choosing a tape measure among the many models on the market.