Among the appliances designed to offer us support in the care and daily cleaning of the house, there are steam cleaners. Thanks to the ease with which they remove dirt without resorting to detergents and chemicals, but only by taking advantage of the high temperature of the water vapor.
They have obtained the consent of consumers. In the market guide that follows, we have examined the three most common types of steam cleaners (2-in-1 steam brooms, steam guns, and steam generators), selecting and evaluating seven models to then create our usual ranking.
However, it is essential to maintain a certain level of hygiene in our homes, and in this, the steam cleaner can be an excellent ally. Thanks to it, it will be easier for us to clean and disinfect certain surfaces. Stay with us if you want to find out more about this practical tool.
Here we will be listing the top 9 best handheld steam cleaners.
- Every Purchase Saves Pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Clean and Sanitize with the Power of Steam. 100 watts of steam power from a variety of hard surfaces.
- On-Demand Steam Trigger. Control the amount of high-pressure, high-temperature steam.
- Cleaning Tools Included. Comes with seven multi-surface cleaning tools: jet nozzle, (3) color-coded round bristle brushes, grout...
- Chemical-Free Cleaning. Uses water only, 100% natural cleaning is safe for kids and pets.
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless...
- Powerful High-Pressure Steam Cleaner With Easy-To-Press Trigger
- Completely Chemical-Free With No Harmful Fumes Or Residue
- 1000-Watt Power Rating, Power Cord Length Is 20 Feet
- Includes Accessory Nozzle, Extension Hose, Flat Scraping Tool, Grout Brush, Fabric Steamer, Window Squeegee, Angle Concentrator,...
- UNLIMITED cleaning time: refill while in use + DETERGENT TANK.
- HOTTEST STEAM: 345°F steam temperature with digital gauge: hour counter, pressure gauge maintenance reminder.
- COMMERCIAL-GRADE: suitable for home or work.
- Premium accessories: 27-piece kit, MADE IN ITALY.
- Fully stainless steel boiler and casing
- UNLIMITED CLEANING TIME: refill while in use! No downtime.
- Accessories: premium 17-piece kit.
- POWERFUL STEAM: up to 320°F / 160°C, ADJUSTABLE STEAM PRESSURE.
- MADE IN EUROPE
- WARRANTY: 3 years / Lifetime on stainless steel boiler
- 【Powerful Hot Steam】1050 watts with 3-5 minutes fast heat-up and emits pressurized powerful hot steam 230℉(110℃) for up to...
- 【Chemical Free & Safe】Steam cleaners for home use 100% Chemical free with no harmful fumes or residue. Safety cap extra...
- 【Multi-Surface Cleaning】Our steamer is suited for virtually all sealed hard surfaces including: ceramic, vinyl, laminate,...
- 【Lightweight and Portable】Handheld design and compact body make it easy to carry around. Besides, 9.4 ft power cord provides...
- 【11-piece Accessories Set】This steam cleaner comes with exclusive free 11 pieces accessory kit, Includes 3 round brushes and...
- The 300CS KleenJet Pro Plus is a steam cleaner built for operating for hours under rigorous conditions and will remain efficient...
- GREAT PERFORMANCE: 1600W / 75psi / 310ºF Boiler Temperature / Continuous Refill / Stainless Steel Housing / 23lbs / Made in Italy
- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE: Daimer guarantees not only great products, but great service and great advice about what steam cleaner...
- FULL ACCESSORY KIT INCLUDED: 30 free detail brushes, 10 free mocrofiber towels, 10' hose, heavy-duty extension rods, scrapers, and...
- WARRANTY: Lifetime Boiler Warranty / 3 years parts / 1 year labor
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING — Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease,...
- QUICK HEAT-UP TIME — The 6-ounce, direct-fill water tank heats up in under 3 minutes and provides up to 10 minutes of steam with...
- 11 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES — Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a scraper, scrub pad, jet nozzle,...
- GREATER REACH — An extra-long 15-foot power cord and 34-inch extension hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those...
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT — When you choose a McCulloch steamer, you’re investing in superior performance and design that will deliver...
- 🌞【Large Capacity & Fast-Heating】Equipped with a large water storage capacity of 450ml, it can fill up to 350ml of water....
- 🌞【Chemical-Free & Safe】This steam cleaner is 100% chemical-free with no harmful fumes or residue , just need to inject...
- 🌞【Multi-Scene Use】11 in 1 multifunction cleaner machine is equipped with multiple accessories to meet your different daily...
- 🌞【Humanized Design】The steam generator have two special designs, high pressure indicator and safty lock. The high pressure...
- 🌞【Tips】Since the product is a high temperature and high pressure product, please read the product manual carefully before...
- 𝐃𝐄𝐄𝐏 𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄: Use the power of pressurized handheld steam cleaner and...
- 𝟏𝟐𝟓𝟎𝐖 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐙𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐌 𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐄𝐑: Loosen dirt...
- 𝐋𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐈𝐓𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐊: This steamer for cleaning contains a...
- 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐅𝐄𝐓𝐘 𝐋𝐎𝐂𝐊 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐂𝐀𝐏: Feel secure with a safety lock and...
- 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐈𝐍 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐋: This multipurpose handheld steam cleaner...
How to Choose Best Handheld Steam Cleaners?
Before explaining how to choose a good steam cleaner, we prefer to clear the field of two common misconceptions.
Analyzing the requests for clarification that come to our editorial staff and the questions published by potential buyers on the various e-commerce sites, it is possible to understand how there are two false beliefs.
The first is that the steam cleaners suck the dust before or simultaneously with the steam supply; the second is that they also run on battery power.
Both, unless you consider more expensive models or for professional use, are wrong. Strictly speaking, steam cleaners, whether they are steam guns, electric steam brooms, or steam generators, do not integrate a suction motor and need electricity, therefore an outlet to connect the plug to work.
In this regard, we invite you to read our purchase advice carefully and, in particular, not to confuse the power in watts of the motor that heats the water to transform it into steam, with that type of a vacuum cleaner, nor the autonomy in minutes (of the steam) with the duration of a possible battery.
Maximum Hygiene without Detergents or Chemical Solutions
The title of this paragraph summarizes the success of this particular type of household appliance. Steam cleaners use the high temperature of the water vapor (always above 100 ° C) to thoroughly clean. They sanitize objects and surfaces, removing more than 99.9% of the bacteria that accumulate on them.
What pleases consumers of steam cleaners is, therefore, the possibility of cleaning without using powder or spray detergents, chemicals, or anything else that may be harmful to the health of adults and children.
All tests conducted in the laboratory show that the cleaning power of water vapor exceeds that of conventional supermarket detergents.
So if you had doubts about the ability of steam to remove dirt and bacteria, you can quickly dispel them and decide on the purchase.
For many, relying on steam has become not a convenient solution, but a way of life. A bit like choosing to eat organic. The offers that flock online have also contributed to the spread of steam cleaners by definitively solving the dilemma of where to buy at the lowest price.
You can buy the best brand cleaner online without investing large amounts. Let’s see now how many types of steam cleaners exist.
Steam Gun, 2-In-1 Electric Broom, or Towed Steam Generators?
When talking about steam cleaners, it is good practice to specify their type. There are steam guns, two-in-one devices, and towed steam generators on the market.
In this service – you have already guessed it – we will not deal with steam brooms with an integrated vacuum cleaner, to offer you an overview of products at an affordable price and easy to use.
Steam guns are practical, light, handy, and comfortable to store almost anywhere thanks to their tiny size. Also, they are often offered at low prices. According to reviews published online, steam guns are unsurpassed when it comes to clean hobs, sinks, washbasins quickly, sanitary ware, sofas, mattresses, curtains, and any other object that is at least half a meter high from the floor.
With a good steam gun, you can sanitize the whole house, including windows, and even, if equipped with the appropriate accessory, iron and refresh clothes vertically by exploiting the ability of water vapor to eliminate creases from fabrics without damaging them.
The only use for which steam guns are not indicated at all – and this is the main disadvantage of this category of product – is washing the floor. In this case, you may be interested in a good mop: here you will find our reviews on rotomops, spinning swabs, comfortable and quick to use.
The steam guns that we have decided to include in our ranking are the Kärcher SC 1 EasyFix, the Kärcher SC 1 1.516-300.0, which differs from the first for the more inferior endowment of accessories, and the Bissell Steam shot Titanium.
If you are interested in resorting to the sanitizing power of steam to make the floor shine, the type of cleaner we suggest is the so-called “two-in-one.”
It is an electric steam mop which, if necessary, turns into a comfortable portable one by simply removing the handle. The two 2-in-1 devices covered in our comparison are the Polti Vaporetto SV440_Double and the Kärcher, as mentioned earlier SC 1 EasyFix.
The third type of steam cleaner is represented by towing filters, i.e., equipped with wheels that allow it to be transported on the trolley vacuum cleaners.
They are more traditional machines, which make efficiency their main strength. Equipped with a flexible extension, they allow you to do anything and reach both the low points (when washing the floor, they are excellent) and the higher ones.
Since they do not have to contain the overall dimensions to the maximum, they have powerful engines and particularly capable water tanks, to the benefit of autonomy.
One of the best selling models online is undoubtedly the Ariete 4146 X-Vapor Deluxe. You could seriously consider this if you live in a large apartment and don’t have space problems. Its engineering solutions are genuinely appreciable.
Tank Capacity and Heating Time
Who among you would like to interrupt cleaning continuously to top up the tank and have new steam available?
The question arises when steam cleaners consider the capacity of the tank to be filled with water and the guaranteed average autonomy (not to be confused, as already mentioned in the introduction, with the energy autonomy of battery devices).
Fortunately, the models that this buying guide examines have enough freedom to perform most of the routine cleaning. The fact that the steam is delivered only if the button that allows it to escape is pressed guarantees the total absence of waste.
This particularity, which distinguishes almost all steam cleaners, is in honor of their right cross and delight. If, on the one hand, as just pointed out, it prevents steam from being unnecessarily dispersed in the air.
On the other hand, it forces you to keep your finger always under tension. For some users, especially women, this is a bit tiring (from this point of view, online opinions are definite).
As for the heating time, i.e., the time it takes for the steam cleaner for the water contained in the tank to heat up to the point of being emitted in the form of steam, not all filters are the same.
Some take longer than others. Our purchase recommendations concern models whose heating time is between 15 seconds of the Polti Vaporetto SV440_Double and of the Vileda Steam XXL broom and 8 minutes of the H.Koenig NV6200.
A nice difference. You decide if this particular aspect will be a discriminating factor in the process that will lead you to the purchase of the best steam cleaner.
Our advice is to consider heating times as essential but not fundamental. Sometimes it is better to wait a few more minutes and have a reliable appliance. The immediacy of the steam does not guarantee it is quality and cleaning power (temperature, pressure, and so on).
Steam Pressure and Accessories
The technical data sheet of most steam cleaners includes the item “steam pressure.” This is the pressure exerted by the steam at the exact exit point and is measured in a bar ( CGS System unit of measurement – centimeter-gram-second system).
A bar is roughly equal to the pressure that the Earth’s atmosphere exerts on every square centimeter of our body, at sea level, at a latitude of 45 ° and at a temperature of 0 ° C.
The higher the outlet steam pressure, the greater the cleaning capacity of our new appliance. However, consider that it is sufficient to connect a rigid or flexible extension tube to the vaporizer, if provided by the accessory fleet, to obtain a lower pressure steam jet.