Welcome to our article dedicated to pepper spray. There are more and more cases of violence and abuse that happen on the street, which is why people have started to bring, along with their personal belongings, even objects that allow them to defend themselves in case they are in a situation at risk.
Bag alarms, emergency accessories, and pepper spray are some of these. In our case, we will focus only on the latter: the pepper spray. According to various specialty stores, its use has grown thanks to the affordable price, effectiveness, and utterly legal use, since many of the brands are now approved by the bodies responsible for checks. If you want to know more, read on and accompany us on this journey to discover the pepper spray.
Right here we had listed out some of the best pepper sprays that are given below.
Buying Guide to Select the Best Pepper Sprays
For sure, you will have many doubts about the pepper spray, for example, regarding its components, functioning, duration, or whether it is legal or not to use it. We will resolve these and other concerns later: accompany us on this path of questions to which we will try to answer as clearly as possible.
What Is Pepper Spray?
The pepper spray is a product that is used for personal defense in the event of a snatch or attempted physical attack. Its effect is not lethal, and its main ingredient is capsaicin, an active component of hot peppers. It is commercially available in various formats and, depending on the laboratory that produces it, its effect can be more or less powerful.
In What Situations Is It Allowed to Use Pepper Spray?
The use of pepper spray is allowed and considered legal only in case of self-defense, as a “dissuader” in risky situations. Any other purpose is punished and involves civil or criminal liability, as appropriate. The charge can be that of “dangerous throw of objects” or “personal injury.”
How to Use Pepper Spray Properly?
The first thing to consider when you bring your spray with you is to keep it in a safe and easily accessible place so as not to have difficulty finding it when you need it. We recommend that you put it in your pants or coat pockets.
It is not advisable to keep it in the bag, because it may be challenging to find it. Take the following recommendations into account when using your pepper spray:
- Test: Before using the spray in an emergency, it is advisable to test the product in an open space, to realize how exactly it works and avoid mistakes when having to use it in a real situation.
- Security: You must act decisively to use it safely and prevent the attacker from realizing that you are trying to defend yourself. In fact, if he does, he may try to use the spray against you.
- Agility: You must act quickly to prevent the attacker from realizing your intentions.
- At Your Fingertips: Decide on an exact spot where to keep your pepper spray. It is essential always to keep it in the same place, not to have to look for it in all your bags when you need it.
- Position: You must also consider the spray format you will choose because if you ever find yourself in an unpleasant situation, you could hurt yourself if you happen to point it in the wrong direction.
- Mira: You must make sure to point directly to the aggressor’s eyes to spray the product in an appropriate way so that it has the desired effect.
- Accuracy: You must spray precisely to avoid unnecessarily wasting the frost or spray.
- Wind: You must make sure that you use the product in the same direction that the wind blows because if you spray it against the wind, it could hit you instead of your target.
- Attention: Avoid having direct contact with the product in order not to damage you.
What Are the Effects of Pepper Spray?
As we said earlier, the main component of the pepper spray is capsaicin, which mainly affects the eyes, producing tingling and constant watering, up to clouding the eyesight. It can even cause irritation of the nasal mucosa, coughing, and a feeling of tightness in the chest. This is not a lethal effect and only lasts a few hours.
How to Neutralize the Pepper Spray?
You may be wondering what to do in case you accidentally spilled some pepper spray or gel on yourself. First of all, don’t be alarmed: it’s nothing serious. What you need to do is act quickly and know how to move. Locate the part of the body that has come into contact with the product.
- Do not rub the affected area with your hands. Doing so could aggravate irritation and pain.
- If you wear contact lenses, remove them immediately.
- Wash the area with soap and water to get rid of the spray residue. It is recommended to immerse your face several times in a container, or in a sink, filled with soap and water without oils. We also recommend that you do not use the cleanser directly on the eyes, as it may worsen the effect of the spray.
- Then leave the affected areas in the air without covering them.
- Use a saline solution. If you experience severe tingling in the eyes, another effective solution is to apply a little saline to it.
- Apply whole milk. In case the irritation is extreme, we advise you to fill a can with milk and spray it on the affected area. You can also soak a towel and spread it over your face.
When we go to buy a product, we must always check its characteristics in detail so as not to have surprises later. In the case of pepper sprays, we recommend that you check a number of aspects, which are also those required by law to make them legal.
In addition to the features already mentioned in the previous paragraph, make sure that the capacity is 20 ml maximum, which is the size allowed in Italy. In addition, the spray must only spray a mixture based on Oleoresin Capsicum (Oc), and it would be better if it contained ultraviolet paint to “dirty” the attacker at the time of the attack in order to simplify its subsequent identification by the authorities.
The effectiveness of the product depends not only on the quality but also on how it is used. This is why it is essential to read up in advance to get prepared at the time of use and to do it properly. Taking into account the opinion of users, the product is believed to be effective in about 90% of cases.
In the same way, the spray succeeds in the objective of immobilizing the aggressor since it causes an intense tingling and tearing, even going as far as to obscure the view.
It also causes coughing and a feeling of tightness in the chest. Do not forget, however, that these effects last only a few hours, and that the product is not lethal for the human being.
If the product label does not explicitly mention quality seals or certifications, we recommend that you do some research on the laboratory that produced it to make sure you purchase a spray that has undergone the necessary quality tests.
The company, but also the opinion of consumers, will be able to help you get a clearer idea and make a smart purchase. We remind you of the requirements relating to the product established by the ministerial decree that regulates its use so that it is considered legal:
- The mixture must be exclusively based on Oleoresin Capsicum (Oc) in a percentage not higher than 10%;
- Each package must have a maximum capacity of 20 ml and a safety system to prevent accidental action;
- The mixture must not contain flammable, toxic, carcinogenic or corrosive products;
- It cannot have a throw higher than three meters;
- The label must include information on the manufacturer and instructions for use;
- It cannot be sold to subjects under 16 years of age.
The pepper spray has become an excellent ally to protect us from any type of physical aggression without necessarily having to use force or other types of weapons that could cause damage to third parties or even to ourselves.
It is an excellent product whose temporary effect is limited to a few hours and therefore does not cause irreparable damage to the attacker. It is good to take measures and prepare to avoid further situations at risk of physical attacks and violence, which unfortunately continue to happen today.
Being active without being intimidated by this kind of incident is fundamental, so as to help dissuade these subjects from persevering and feeding this chain of crime and violence against their peers.