In summer, camping, on the beach, or on vacation. The challenge is always the same: being able to store food and drinks. Because it is certainly not the same thing to have available cans of beer heated by the sun rather than at a temperature of eight degrees, ready to be enjoyed comfortably placed on a deck chair.
So what to do? For example, use a good portable refrigerator. If you’ve never used one or don’t know what we’re talking about, don’t worry: you’re in the right place.
Portable refrigerators have become an indispensable item in the summer and during travel or trips to places where it is not easy to store food. If you don’t believe it, keep reading this specialized article and you will discover all the great advantages of these products.
Here we had listed out the best and advanced model of portable refrigerators that are present below.
Buying Guide to Select the Best Portable Refrigerators
Portable refrigerators are not exactly new, but in recent years they have evolved considerably with regard to materials, which allow food to be better preserved, and to design weight and portability. Electric models have also appeared, which are achieving ever-greater success. In this section, we will solve all your doubts about it.
What Exactly Is a Portable Refrigerator?
A portable refrigerator is a thermally insulated container that is used to keep food and drinks fresh. Usually, ice cubes are placed inside to keep the contents always fresh. However, these refrigerators can store food for a long time even without having to add ice, depending on the model and capacity.
What Is a Portable Refrigerator For?
Especially when the heat arrives and you have to move to different places, whether it’s a holiday or a long journey, keeping drinks and food at a cool temperature becomes a real challenge. Portable refrigerators were born to solve this problem. The most common uses are as follows:
- Travel by car
- Camper and truck
- Outdoor parties or celebrations
What Materials Are Portable Refrigerators Usually Made Of?
Most portable refrigerators are made of plastic, making them less heavy and easier to transport. The important thing is that the refrigerator has a good lid or coating of insulating material inside, hermetically sealed, to better maintain the temperature and ensure that the food is kept in good condition. Some electric models, inside, are made of aluminum.
Are All Portable Refrigerators the Same?
The advent of portable refrigerators has been revolutionary. Being able to store food and drinks at an ideal temperature for an indefinite time was something unthinkable, until a few decades ago.
But not all these types of refrigerators are created equal. Among the electrical ones, for example, we can find different operating systems:
- Portable Refrigerator with Compressor: Very practical model, since its performance is similar to that of domestic refrigerators. The compressor takes up very little space inside the refrigerator structure and is usually very quiet. It is ideal for trucks and campers.
- Portable Thermoelectric Refrigerator: In this case, the refrigerator is based on a system that regulates the temperature for cooling or heating, depending on the situation. The temperature can go from -20 to 65 degrees. The capacity of these refrigerators starts from 12 liters and can reach 40. They are usually compact. The voltages are 12/24 volts and 230 volts.
- Hybrid Portable Refrigerator: This type of refrigerator combines the technology of compressor and thermoelectric refrigerators. It works as a model with a compressor when connected to alternating current, and as a thermoelectric model when connected to direct current. This type of refrigerator is ideal if you need a very versatile product.
How Long Do Portable Refrigerators Keep Cold?
The storage time of a portable refrigerator depends on the brand, capacity, and type of food or drink. In general, a thermal portable refrigerator (with ice) can store food for up to four days (not fish, however, which does not resist all this time).
It is important, in any case, to keep the portable refrigerator always tightly closed. As for electric refrigerators, in all their variations, the times are very different.
When attached to a power outlet, car, or other, they can indefinitely maintain the cold and heat of food and drink. Gas absorption models are probably the best since they work almost like domestic refrigerators.
What Can Be Done to Keep the Cold in The Portable Refrigerator?
Although portable refrigerators are designed to keep the cold inside, there are a few tricks or tips to follow to improve efficiency. Electric models do not present many obstacles since it is sufficient to keep them connected to the current. For standard thermal refrigerators, however, keep in mind the following recommendations:
- It is advisable to cool drinks and food before placing them in the refrigerator. If they have been previously stored in the home refrigerator, you can be sure that they will not undergo a radical change in temperature.
- Cooling the portable refrigerator by placing tablets or ice cubes inside it is always a fundamental aid to better preserve food and drinks.
- As for drinks, the colder they will be before placing them in the portable refrigerator, the better. You must check that the bottles are plastic and that they are not carbonated drinks. Glass bottles and fizzy drinks can explode if left for too long at a temperature below zero.
- You can coat the outside of the portable refrigerator with extra insulation, sold in some specialty stores.
- Wherever you are, always try to find a place in the shade where you can place your portable refrigerator, so that it receives as little sun as possible.
Always try to keep the refrigerator closed if possible.
- It is not convenient to completely fill the portable refrigerator, so it is advisable to buy a model a little larger than what you actually need.
Group of friends taking bottles from a portable refrigerator
What Maintenance Does a Portable Refrigerator Require?
The maintenance and care of any type of portable refrigerator are essential to extend its useful life. As for traditional thermal refrigerators that use sticks or ice cubes for cooling, one of the most common tips is to clean them, once you are back home, to avoid bad smells.
For electric refrigerators, the main recommendation to follow to keep food and drinks in good condition for longer is to avoid blocking the air outlet or inlet, as well as trying not to continuously open and close the lid, so that the refrigerator does not overheat.
Materials and Storage Time
The effectiveness of a portable refrigerator will ultimately depend on the insulating material that retains the contents. Plastic is ideal for outdoors, as it is a light and easy to clean material. For the interior, EVA rubber gaskets are very effective for thermally insulating food. Make sure the storage time is at least 2 days.
Power and Versatility
One of the most important decisions to make is whether to buy a traditional or electric portable refrigerator, in its various variants. You must, therefore, be clear in which context you will use your refrigerator, for how many days you will have to store food and drinks and if you will often use cars or campers. If you have any doubts, hybrid models adapt to any situation.
Dimensions, Weight, and Portability
Being portable, it is essential that refrigerators offer maximum convenience during transport. Check, for example, that the model chosen is equipped with wheels and an ergonomic handle to be able to firmly grasp it during transport from one place to another. Weight is also important, as it will increase significantly once you have entered your food and drink. The ideal is that, empty, it does not exceed 3 kilos.
Here we had reviewed the best portable refrigerators. These are great to carry while traveling and it easily fits in cars and vans.