Welcome to our article dedicated to salicylic acid. Have you ever suffered from acne? Have you ever had to struggle with inappropriate and annoying pimples? Acne mainly affects teenagers and young adults, but it is not excluded that it also appears in other age groups.
In addition to being a real dermatological pathology, it also has severe psychological repercussions. Pimples and blackheads “dirty” the appearance of the skin on our face in an unpleasant way. In addition, they cause pain and are undoubtedly annoying. For all these reasons, they can seriously affect the quality of life of those who suffer from them.
Here we had listed out the best quality of best salicylic acid face washes that are given below.
- [ CLEANSES AND SMOOTHES SKIN ] Removes dirt and oil while softening and smoothing skin
- [ EXFOLIATES ] Salicylic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide and antioxidant Vitamin D to slough off dead skin cells while hydrating and cleansing
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that help restore and maintain its natural protective barrier
- [ MICROBEAD FREE ] No harsh microbeads that can irritate skin and damage the environment
- [ GENTLE ON SKIN ] Non-comedogenic (won't clog pores), non-drying, non-irritating and fragrance free
- Acne wash to target excess oil
- Helps clear acne breakouts, blemishes, pimples
- Clinically tested to reduce excess surface oil by upto 47 percent, leaving skin less oily throughout the day
- Acne cleanser formulated with Salicylic Acid and Lipo Hydroxy Acid (LHA)
- Tested on sensitive skin; Allergy tested; Dermatologist tested; Non-Comedogenic
- 4.2-fluid ounce tube of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Daily Face Scrub with 2% salicylic acid acne medication to help clean and exfoliate deep into the pores for healthier-looking skin
- Acne-fighting exfoliating face wash contains MicroClear Technology, a powerful technology scientifically shown to boost delivery of salicylic acid acne medication to the source of breakouts
- Our daily face scrub contains exfoliators that dissolve oil, dirt, & impurities to help unclog pores and leave skin clear and smooth, and is formulated with salicylic acid acne medication
- From the #1 dermatologist-recommended acne brand, the exfoliating oil-free face wash is gentle enough for daily use as part of a regular acne-prone skin care routine
- Helps fight acne and prevent breakouts with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Daily Face Scrub. Consider this product if you've liked facial scrubs from St. Ives, Clearasil, Mountain Falls and AcneFree
- 4.2-ounce tube of Neutrogena Acne Proofing Oil-Free Daily Exfoliating Facial Scrub to treat breakouts and help defend against new ones
- Formulated with maximum strength salicylic acid acne medicine to clear breakouts along with ClearDefend Technology
- Exfoliating cleanser helps preserve skin's essential defenses to help skin become more acne resistant with regular use
- Clinically proven face wash contains gentle exfoliators that leave skin feeling smooth while acne-fighting medicine prevents future breakouts
- Oil-free face wash is gentle enough for everyday use to cleanse pores. It helps make skin more resistant to acne over time and is from the #1 dermatologist recommend acne brand.
- 6-fluid ounce pump bottle of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne-Fighting Redness Soothing Facial Cleanse to help fight breakouts and visibly reduce redness caused by acne
- Contains scientifically proven salicylic acid acne medicine to prevent breakouts along with MicroClear technology, which has been shown to boost delivery of salicylic acid
- Face wash is formulated with naturally derived aloe and chamomile helps calm irritation to visibly reduce facial redness and so skin looks clearer and feels healthier
- Acne-fighting cleanser works to cut through oil, allowing medicine to penetrate to the source of breakouts, unclogging congested pores and removing dirt and impurities, all without over-drying.
- Developed specifically for acne-prone skin. Facial cleanser is from Neutrogena, the #1 dermatologist recommended acne brand
- 9.1 fluid ounce pump Bottle of liquid oil Free acne facial cleanser with salicylic acid acne medicine to Treat acne and prevent future breakouts, revealing clearer skin in just 1 week
- Face wash contains an uplifting pink grapefruit scent and naturally derived grapefruit extracts Plus Vitamin C
- Face wash contains Micro Clear technology and Maximum strength salicylic acid acne medicine to PowerFully fight breakouts, blackheads, and even acne marks
- Oil Free salicylic acid cleanser targets acne fighting Power deep down into pore to remove oil, leaving skin feeling Fresh
- Face wash and cleanser from the #1 Dermatologist Recommended Acne Brand is specially formulated for acne prone skin and will rinse clean without over drying skin
- Pore Exfoliating, Acne Fighting, Softening Skin, Anti-Blemish, Removes Warts
- Specially formulated to soften calluses and smooth rough skin.
- Helps prevent acne blemishes by unclogging congested skin.
- Revitale Salicylic Acid Scrub Soap contains apricot kernels which work with the soap to thoroughly clean excessive oils and toxins which leads to acne breakouts.
- Leaves skin feeling completely clean, oil-free and refreshed.
- 4-fluid ounce bottle of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Facial Moisturizer with a light pink grapefruit scent. It is formulated with 0.5% salicylic acid acne medication to clear breakouts
- This facial moisturizer has a lightweight texture that absorbs quickly to moisturize skin and prevents emerging breakouts without a greasy feel
- Face moisturizer is infused with pink grapefruit scent and includes naturally derived grapefruit extract and is suitable for daily use in a regular acne skincare routine
- Moisturizer is especially formulated for acne-prone skin and contains salicylic acid acne medication, proven acne-fighting ingredient to help treat acne. Its water-based formula is oil-free, non-greasy, and non-comedogenic, so it won't clog pores
- From the #1 Dermatologist Recommended Acne Brand. For best use, clean skin thoroughly before applying a thin layer of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Facial Moisturizer one to three times daily to moisturize skin and treat breakouts in one step
- Replevin glee/sal 10-2 pads are medicated with 10% pure glycolic acid and 2% salicylic acid to effectively unclog pores and accelerate the removal of dead skin cells that can interfere with proper oil drainage of the skin
- They contain witch hazel to smooth and tone the skin and skin conditioners and natural botanicals to hydrate irritated skin
- All Replevin and Replevin CF formulations are non-comedogenic and can be incorporated into your existing skin care routine
Salicylic Acid Face Washes Buyer Guide
What Exactly Is Salicylic Acid?
Salicylic acid is a component used to develop various dermatological treatments. It belongs to the category of keratolytic, products capable of reaching the last layer of the epidermis, the stratum corneum. They are used to treat diseases that cause excessive thickening of this layer, such as acne.
This element is obtained, from the mists of time, from the bark of a type of tree, the white willow. Thanks to the continuous progress of science, it is now possible to produce it synthetically.
What Is Salicylic Acid Used For?
The main property of salicylic acid is its keratolytic effect. It also has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. These characteristics make it the appropriate treatment to treat various pathologies and skin problems, which, as already mentioned, cause the same type of skin thickening.
It is used in the form of shampoo or lotion. It also serves as a treatment for warts, in higher concentrations. In addition, it promotes the penetration of other active agents, facilitating and enhancing their effects on the skin.
As for acne, this product can be used to treat its milder forms, i.e., those in which comedones and papular rashes predominate, without the presence of cysts and nodules. In fact, for these specific situations, more potent agents are needed. Salicylic acid has an exfoliating and cleansing action on the skin, as we will see better below.
How Does Salicylic Acid Work?
The main skin alteration that generates acne is the obstruction of the hair follicles. The pores become blocked due to keratin “plugs,” preventing the exit of the hair and forming a black point, also called a blackhead.
In addition, excessive sebum production and bacterial growth add to this pathogenesis. Here salicylic acid comes into play. As a keratolytic, it eliminates excess keratin from the horny layer of the epidermis. In this way, the pores open, removing the blackheads, and the skin softens. Its antiseptic characteristics help to decrease bacterial growth typical of this pathology.
What Are the Results of Using Salicylic Acid?
Salicylic acid has proven to be an effective treatment for acne in a mild form. With fair use, affected subjects reported a noticeable improvement in the skin, which appears soft and purified, as dead cells and keratin plugs are eliminated.
This reduces the number of blackheads, pimples, and spots, as well as preventing their new appearance. However, it must be remembered that salicylic acid is recommended for the treatment of mild forms of acne.
In severe cases, being a moderate intensity topical treatment, acne will not be eliminated. However, the product can still contribute to enhancing the effect of the most intensive treatments to obtain complete and lasting results.
How Is Salicylic Acid Applied?
We have already said that salicylic acid is used to treat acne in mild forms. Given the large variety of products based on this product, the application will be different for each of them. However, below we will list in detail some general rules of use.
To start, the most important thing is to follow the instructions on each product and not change the doses without medical advice. To prevent unwanted reactions, it is recommended to apply a small amount of product in a small area of the skin for about three days.
If any side effects occur, you must stop using the product or consult a specialist. In general, salicylic acid is applied directly to the skin. It should only be used on areas affected by the problem, avoiding applications over very large areas.
It is not recommended to cover the treated parts. It should not be applied to inflamed, infected, or injured areas. In case of any doubt, it is preferable to consult a specialist.
How Often Should Salicylic Acid Be Used?
There is no specific fixed time to use salicylic acid. Rather, it depends on the product in question and the pathology to be treated. In general, it can be used several times a day to several times during the week.
As for the treatment of acne, the guidelines for its use are different according to the objectives of the treatment. For example, treating an acne outbreak will not be the same as using the product to maintain the results of a cure already made.
These various technical aspects must be specified and identified on a case by case basis. To obtain, and maintain over time, the desired results, it is necessary to use the product in a continuous and constant way for it to have an effect.
What Are the Risks Associated with The Use of Salicylic Acid?
Salicylic acid is a safe product, but this does not mean that it is completely free from complications and unwanted effects. Usually, these are mild and reversible contraindications.
In fact, we can distinguish them in local reactions, limited to the skin, and systemic, when they also affect other functions or parts of the body. Topically, the most common effect is to experience some dryness and irritation of the skin at the beginning of the treatment.
To avoid this, you can try to reduce the frequency of applications. Systemic effects are produced by absorbing the product at an excessive concentration, and the most frequent consequences are headache, nausea, and vomiting.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Salicylic Acid Face Wash?
Salicylic acid is, therefore, a simple and practical option for the treatment of mild acne. It is commercially available to anyone, and the variety of products satisfies every taste and need.
However, limitations of treatment must be taken into account. In the following table, we summarize the advantages and disadvantages of salicylic acid.
- Many different formats
- It makes the skin soft
- It has an exfoliating action
- Improve mild forms of acne
- Strengthens the action of other treatments
- It prevents the appearance of blackheads, pimples, and spots
- It is a remedy for anyone
- Its effectiveness is limited to cases of mild acne
- Results visible only after several weeks
- Possible skin irritations
- Possible systemic effects if used in high concentrations