The walkie talkie is a very useful device that allows two or more people to communicate remotely using radio waves. Talking about walkie talkies or two-way radios is the same thing: the two words are in fact synonyms, indeed to be precise walkie talkie is the English name of these devices, a word that soon became part of our language.
The first image that comes to mind when we talk about walkies talkies is the little toy transceivers that accompanied our childhood afternoons.
In reality, the transceiver is suitable for multiple uses: born at the beginning of the last century to facilitate communications between soldiers, this device is now widely used in both professional and more amateur contexts.
Right here we have listed the best walkie talkies that will be helpful in your communication process.
- 2-WAY RADIOS - These walkie-talkies feature 50 GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) channels, along with channel scan to check for activity. The JIS4 Waterproof Protection prevents splashing water from having any harmful effect on it (splash resistant).
- 36-MILE RANGE - Longer range communication in open areas with little or no obstruction. Easy Voice and Sound Activation Transmission (eVOX) with 9 sensitivity levels for hands-free operation.
- 142 CTCSS/DCS PRIVACY CODES - The privacy codes give you up to 3,124 channel options to block other conversations.
- NOAA WEATHER SCAN + ALERT - NOAA Weather Scan will automatically scan through 10 available weather (WX) band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates. NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather in your area.
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: Radios (x2), rechargeable battery packs (x2), boom mic headsets (x2), belt clips (x2), 120V dual desktop charger, AC adapter, DC adapter, and an owner’s manual.
- The two way radio is extremely compact and slim for business use; featured with 16 channels and rich features; ensure you use license free radio
- 0-9 level voice activated transmit function allows real hands free operation; adjusting the level according to the environment allows you to get the best audio quality
- Emergency alarm helps you be prepared for any danger and alert team member; channel lock avoids accidental button changes;working out of the box with each others
- Includes six way multi gang charger with multiple charging protections; overcharge; over voltage and short circuit protection; more safer for charging the 6 pack 2 way radios or batteries at the same time
- Fits in your palm;easy to carry and simple to operate;provides adequate coverage in many environments and the size and weight can be a huge advantage
- Toys for Christmas 2020: Gift for 3-15 year old boys, teen girl gifts, walkie talkies for kids teen boy gifts birthday. Great for both indoor and outdoor activities such as going shopping, spring outing and summer camping.
- Clear Sound and Key Lock Function: Our kids walkie talkies have cool call alert function, crisp and smooth sound quality with adjustable volume level. Equipped with key lock function, it is not easy for children to modify the channels to enhance the fun of parent-child interaction.
- Ergonomic Design: Small and light body allow kids easy to use and just 90g per walkie talkie is easy to carry, these will fit comfortably in children's hands with ergonomic design. An uncomplicated push-to-talk button makes this toy easy to use for 3,4,5.6,7,8,9,10,11,12 years old girls.
- Perfect Adventure Kids Toys: Situation can be real-time monitoring of children, anti wandered off, intelligent alarm system etc. Stay connecting with your friends and families especially in outdoor activities, the best outdoor toys for toddlers age 3-5 boys and girls.
- Easy to Use: Modern compact design. Simple push to talk operation, double click to activate a beep single. Broadcast to one or multiple units, ability to use different channels.
- Included Components: 2 Radios, 2 Belt Clips, 1 User Guide
- 【Longer stand-by time】 Each radio comes with 3*1000MAh NI-MH AA rechargeable batteries.The larger volume provides longer standby about 48 hours.With the micro-USB cable, you can charge the radio by power bank or vehicle adaptor when you are outdoors.
- 【Compatible with Any Radio】 You can communicate with other FRS radios regardless of brand by being on the same channel and privacy code. Easy Voice and Sound Activation Transmission (eVOX) with 3 sensitivity levels for hands-free operation
- 【Wide use】This radio provides long range communication and clear sound for hiking, biking, camping trip, road trip, cruise ship and so on. It is also a great communication tool for kids and the elder to talk to others at home.
- 【NOAA WEATHER ALERT】NOAA Weather Scan will automatically scan through 10 available weather (WX) band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates. NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather in your area.
- 【More features】Push to talk (PTT) button; 8 adjustable volumes; 10 call tone settings; Keypad lock (only PTT button work); Scanning function for busy channel; 22 channel, 38 CTCSS privacy codes and 83 DCS privicy codes; Great customer shopping experience.
- 🔋🔌【Walkie Talkies Rechargeable】: Every order comes with USB charger and pairs of rechargable 3*AA1000mAh batteries, automatic power saving feature extends battery life, Extend entertainment time
- 👨👩👧👦【Long Distance Transmission】: Pair of family radios with 22 channels, Up to 3 miles in neighborhood conditions, Up to 6 miles in open water conditions. Call tone and keypad lock feature to avoid changing settings
- 🗣【HD Sound Two-Way Radios】: Auto-squelch for reducing interference, crisp and smooth sound quality with adjustable volume level. Channel scan/monitor for easily finding available channels
- 🎁【Safety and best children gifts】: Wishouse kids walkie talkies are perfectly safe, made of environmentally friendly materials and have FCC certificate. There is a built-in flashlight for playing at night. Good idea for chlidren birthday gifts and share family happy moments
- US💝【100% Risk Free 】: Sold by original manufacture with high quality and excellent after-sales service, 24/7 tech support. Please be assured the purchase. Any question, please feel free to contact.
- FRS unlicensed children's walkie-talkie;can be used in the United States and completely legal and safe;without paying additional fees
- Small and light body allows kids easy to use and just 90g per radio is easy to carry;power with 3 AA batteries and not included
- Easy to operate and allow the children themselves to assemble the belt and hang on the anywhere they want
- One-to-one and one-to-more communication function allow more walkie talkie communicate on the same channel
- Keypad lock feature allows you to lock the buttons prevent your kids unintentional operation
- 【IPX4 waterproof VOX hands-free walkie talkies】- Water-resistant keypad for contact at rainy or foggy days. Better performance as opposed to smartphones.easy voice and sound activation transmission (VOX) with 3 sensitivity levels for hands-free operation, when climbing or driving, turn on the hands-free to ensure safety.
- 【Long distance walkie talkie】- Walkie Talkies 15-32 miles between two top of mountains,5-14 Miles at open sea, 2-5 miles in woods, 1-3 miles in town. The distance may vary in different environment. Comes with 1200mAh Ni-MH rechargeable battery
- 【22 Channels 2 Way Radios】- GOCOM walkie talkies feature 22 (Family Radio Service) channels and 121 CTCSS PRIVACY CODES system which gives you up to 2,662 channels options to help block other conversations, along with channel receive to check for activity.
- 【NOAA Weather Scan + Alert】- NOAA weather scan will automatically scan through 11 available weather band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates.Weather Alert will sound an alarm and display at LCD quickly when it receive 1050Hz weather alarm,it indicating it is a risk of severe weather in your area.
- 【Anything else?】 -Of course, the most important thing is that you will receive professional technical support from the product development team and GOCOM exclusive customer service on standby at any time to ensure that any questions you have can be solved online 24 hours, assurance to dismiss your worries before/after purchase. looking forward your message.
- Solid build portable walkie talkies; quality body and rotate button can withstand long time use and collision saving much money in the long run
- Good reception and crystal transmission sound; strong penetration and audio keep you and your team always stay in contact with loud clarity sound quality in building or outdoor
- Keep away from the irrelevant call;ensure you and your team have quiet and smooth talk
- Superior accessories; coming with the " secret service " ear tubes help you keep clear call in noisy environment; durable belt clip and hand strap are convenient to carry; the charging base and adapter are convenient for you to charge it anywhere
- Have been set well could use directly when out of box; emergency alarm will protect your safety when you work alone;this Version is certified and the FCC certified number is 2AAR8RETEVISRT21
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: Warranty only valid by authorized resellers.
- LONGER RANGE COMMUNICATION: Two watts of power provide up to 300,000 sq. ft. / 25 floors of long distance signal range with 2,662 channel combinations.
- 22 PRESET CHANNELS: Channels are preset with privacy codes to minimize unwanted interference from others.
- WATERPROOF & DUSTPROOF - IP67 STANDARD: Complete protection from dust and withstand water immersion for 30-minutes in 1-meter deep water.
- SHOCK RESISTANT: Can withstand 2-meter drop plus rugged anti-slip design.
- 2-WAY RADIOS - These license-free walkie-talkies feature the standard 22 FRS (Family Radio Service) channels, along with channel scan to check for activity.
- 20-MILE RANGE - Longer range communication in open areas with little or no obstruction.
- 38 CTCSS PRIVACY CODES - The Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System gives you up to 836 channel options to block other conversations. Use silent operation to turn off all tones.
- NOAA WEATHER ALERT - NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather in your area.
- HANDS-FREE - Easy Voice and Sound Activated Transmission (eVOX) for hands free operation. Also included: Belt clips (x2) and an owner’s manual.
Best Walkie Talkies Buying Guide
Walkie Talkies for Home Use
In addition to professional and semi-professional use, the two-way radios can also be used for amateur or home use. In this subcategory are both walkie talkies that are used by parents to monitor infants, also known as baby monitor both transceivers toy, an ideal gift for children who love to play outdoors.
These products are not real two-way radios: they are usually very simple models that tune in only one channel and have a limited range of action. Walkie talkie kids
Four Factors to Keep in Mind
1. Maximum Distance
The first factor to consider when looking for a transceiver suited to your needs concerns the maximum transmission distance, also called the range of action.
This element is one of the fundamental discriminate against certain types of use: it is possible to find on the market walkie talkie very simple with a range of only 500 m, up to the models more professional whose range reaches even to 50 km.
When purchasing a walkie talkie, however, keep in mind that the range data are valid only as the crow flies: in places cluttered with buildings or trees, the maximum distance that can be reached is considerably reduced.
The range of action must also be considered in relation to the use you want to make of the walkie talkie: if for example, you are looking for a product to use on your mountain trips you will have to orient yourself on a model with a fairly wide range of action, while if you want a model to be used in the city you can choose a device with a shorter maximum distance.
It must be remembered, however, that to use some walkie talkies with a very wide range of action (from 10 km onwards) you must have a special license, otherwise you run the risk of being fined. We will go deeper into the thorny issue of transceiver regulations. Walkie talkie distance
2. Frequency Bands and Channels
The second factor to consider is the number of attachable frequency bands and the number of channels available. But what is a frequency band? It is a portion of the spectrum of radio frequencies available for broadcasting: by this term, we mean a part of the ether, in turn, divided into levels, called channels.
The models Professional will allow to attach different bands of frequency and a variable number of channels, from 5 to 300: the amateur models instead usually allow to intercept the local frequency band and will allow access to fewer channels, from 2 to 70.
There are also special devices on the market that allow communication on multiple channels simultaneously. Also, in this case, it must be remembered that the use of devices that allow communication on many channels is regulated by the ministry of communications.
Another important aspect to consider when choosing the walkie talkie concerns the functions integrated with the device: if until some time ago most of the models available were very simple, today it is possible to find on the market decidedly sophisticated devices that allow different possibilities of use.
In our opinion, the most useful function is the one that allows you to connect the two-way radios to a mobile device via Bluetooth: in this way, you will not only be able to control the settings of your walkie talkie from your mobile phone but also to use the transceiver with appropriate wireless earphones, a very widespread use for example in sports.
We can then find models that allow the hands-free function, very useful in situations of loud noise such as construction sites, or the voice distortion function that allows you to maintain your privacy in conversations.
The last factor to keep in mind when choosing the walkie talkie is that relating to the extra accessories supplied: according to the price range, in fact, the two-way radios can be more or less equipped.
The most common accessories are certainly the earphones and the speaker: the first allows you to communicate easily via headphones, while the second is used to amplify the sounds so as to hear better in very noisy situations.
Other accessories that can be supplied are the power supplies to recharge the battery via an electric socket and to connect the device to the cigarette lighter of the car: having both of them you can be sure of being able to take full advantage of your transceiver both on the road and in the open air.
Finally, we find the most classic accessories, such as protective cases, belt hooks, and replacement batteries. Walkie talkie charger.
How to Use Walkie Talkies
Walkie talkies are useful tools to make remote communication much easier, for play or for work. If you approach this product for the first time, you may have doubts regarding its functioning or possible uses.
Here we wanted to analyze some particularities, which help you understand the right model for you.
First of All: How Does It Work?
It may seem strange to some that, in the digital age, we still talk about devices such as walkie talkies: in reality, these objects are able to put two or more people in communication without the obligation to make a call, such as cell phones, and therefore without having to type a number.
So let’s ask ourselves: the walkie talkie, how does it work? The mechanism that regulates its use is identical to that of radios: just tune in to the same channel to communicate.
For this reason, it is important that the frequency chosen is free: if it is occupied by other users, nobody will be able to understand what the other says.
Another aspect to consider is the fact that one cannot speak simultaneously: the microphone and the speaker, in fact, alternate. Usually, the jargon used is “step”, when the message ends and “step and close” when you want to end the conversation.
How to Use a Walkie Talkie at Its Best
Let’s assume you want to use your walkie talkies for a long time, maybe more than a day, without having to recharge them. Then choose a model equipped with a lithium battery and make sure it is totally full when you are going to use them.
To be sure that the reception is valid, it is better to experiment with them in open and unobstructed places, since buildings and walls are a nice impediment.
A lot of caution must be used when holding them: it is preferable to keep them about 10 centimeters from the mouth, in order to be able to get your voice clear.
For this purpose, it is also useful to spell the words well, with pauses and making sure that the message arrives without interference.
A Diy Walkie Talkie
If you don’t want to buy a beautiful and made model, here are some suggestions on how to build a walkie talkie. The easiest way is to take two cans or two paper cups. Drill the base with a nail, take a string and insert it into the hole.
Then pass it down to place it inside the can or glass and then tie a knot so that it cannot come off. Connect the second element to the first through the string, repeating the operation of creating the hole and so on.
Stretch the string: the sound waves will be able to travel and you can use the glass as a microphone and as a receiver.
Other Decisive Factors for The Choice of The Walkie Talkie
Are the Materials Important?
Most portable transceivers are made of the same material: hard plastic. However, there are some precautions to keep in mind, especially if you are looking for a model to use in “difficult” environments.
We are talking about waterproofness and impact resistance: both features are really fundamental to optimize spending and take full advantage of the walkie talkie in all situations.
Even the design is important: there are in fact two-way radios very small, suitable to be carried in the pocket, and patterns more cumbersome, mainly indicated for those who must use the transceiver in the mountains or on means of locomotion.
Even the colors vary, ranging from classic black to camouflage colors, preferred especially by those who use the transceiver in hikes, survival courses, and sports as the soft air.
Our advice is to choose the model that best suits your needs by looking among the many proposals for a product made with good quality materials.
Is Brand Important?
Like so many other products, even for walkie talkies, it is possible to find an innumerable number of brands, some more known others less. Being an electronic product, it is essential that the manufacturer ensures good customer service and a wide range of accessories that can be purchased separately.
The leading brands in the sector are definitely Motorola (the invention of the portable transceiver is due to this brand) and Brondi, companies specializing in everything related to telecommunications.
In the online stores, it is, however, possible to find many walkie talkies produced by brands little known in Italy but equally reliable as Retevis or Baofeng: the only negative aspects related to these brands could concern the ease of interface with customer service.
If, on the other hand, you are looking for simple two-way radios to give to your children, you are really spoiled for choice: almost all the brands that make toys also produce walkie talkies for recreational use.
We do not recommend the purchase of two-way radios produced by unknown brands: the risk we run is in fact to buy a poorly functional model, difficult to use or made with poor materials.