Is the future of music wireless? I wouldn’t bet on it. The wired headphones have – and probably still will – have their purpose, but in the meantime, there are more and more Bluetooth devices in the stores that have very little to envy to their wired counterparts: they are light, have a good autonomy and are able to guarantee a more than satisfactory sound quality.
I bet that you too in the face of this “flourishing” of wireless solutions are tickled by the idea of abandoning your old wired earphones and switching to Bluetooth headphones, right? Then give it a try.
Let’s find out what are the main features that must be taken into consideration before buying wireless headphones, we know more about this type of product and try to make a small ranking of the headsets that currently offer the best value for money. Do you want it? Well, then let’s ban the talk and start now!
Below you will first find a list of the best Bluetooth headphones of the moment, then a short buying guide on the factors and specifications to consider to choose the right product.
- High Fidelity Sound: 11mm vibrating diaphragm, CSR chip and Bluetooth 5.0 technology deliver high-fidelity audio; CVC noise cancellation Built-in mic for stereo sound and superb bass sound. Clear high & low volume, makes calls clear and stable
- IPX7 Waterproof: Sports Earbuds Design, Internal nano-coating protects the headphones from heavy rains or sweat throughout intense exercises; just enjoy your time when running, jogging, riding, hiking, fitness, or in the gym
- Foolproof Operation: Control buttons on the headphones so that you can play and pause music, adjust the volume, skip tracks, answer and end calls, and activate the voice control of your phone with one simple operation on the headphones
- Long Playtime: Built-in polymer lithium battery; Only 2 hours charge gives you up to 8 hours talk time/audio play time, enough to power your workouts with music for a week
- Comfortable and Stable: Lightweight and ergonomic design, customizable accessories with large, medium, and small size of gel eartips; soft silicon earhooks ensure comfortable and secure wear in even most intense workout
- Almost one week of use with HIFI sound: Mpow professional 40mm drivers offer you incredible listening clarity. Supplying up to 18 hours of rechargeable battery life, twice as much as others. If not used frequently, headphone can be used about a week. 3. 5mm audio cable changes the wireless to wired mode to keep listening when the battery runs out.
- 3-Button easy CONTROL on music, calls, audio books & FM without buying an extra SD card: quickly connecting with Bluetooth V4. 1 to your phones, you can operate all the audio and call function directly on the headphones without touching your cellphones to enjoy your things.
- Rotatable space-saving design with travel Carrying bag & proper tightness in light weight for comfort: Take it to anywhere with the included carrying bag. The ergonomic design, comfy memory protein earmuff and the adjustable metal slider reduces pressure on ear and fit head perfectly.
- Hands free calling with CVC6. 0 noise reduction technology: CVC6. 0 giving you a clearer phone communication. Built-in microphone lets you pick up any incoming calls conveniently. No need to worry about missing any phone calls.
- Stable compatibility & easy to use: Mpow H7 wireless Bluetooth headphones are compatible with most Bluetooth devices. Quickly and stable connecting with your smartphones, MP3, iPad, PC, laptop and so on.
- THE MOST ADVANCED BLUETOOTH 5.0: Mpow Flame adopts the latest Bluetooth 5.0 technology for more stable connection and stronger signal transmission. It supports various Bluetooth-enabled devices and you can stay connected to 2 Bluetooth devices at the same time.
- IMMERSIVE SOUND WITH POWERFUL BASS: With 11mm dynamic drivers, built-in cVc6.0 noise canceling microphones and chip of SBC & AAC audio, Mpow Flame provides the fantastic sound quality with powerful bass sound and crystal-clear voice calls at any volume. The vocals won't blend together with instruments. Choose the suitable eartips(XS/S/M/L) to get a better sealing and listening experience for intensified workouts.
- IPX7 WATERPROOF FOR WORKOUT: IPX7 waterproof shell and interior Nano-coating technology protect Mpow Flame effectively from heavy rain or sweat during intense workouts and all-weather conditions. Perfect for running, jogging, hiking, yoga, exercises, gym, fitness, traveling and etc.
- 7-9 HOURS PLAYBACK: Built-in improved polymer lithium battery, Mpow Flame offers 7-9 hours of superior audio performance / talk time after only 2 hrs charge. And it will show the remaining battery power of the headphones on your Phone screen. (Note: Please use the charging cable provided on the package).
- COMFORT AND SECURE FIT: With Lightweight and ergonomic design, Mpow Flame is a great combination of comfort and stability with ear-hook and in-ear fitting designed for strenuous workouts.
- [TWS & BLUETOOTH 5.0] - Adopt the most advanced Bluetooth 5.0 technology TOZO T10 Support HSP HFP A2DP AVRCP Provides in-call stereo sound Also own fast and stable transmission without tangling.
- [Hi-fi stereo sound quality] - TOZO T10 offers a truly authentic sound and powerful bass performance with 8mm large size speaker driver - the drive area is 1.77 times than the normal drive area.
- [One step pairing] - Pick up 2 headsets from charging box They will connect each other automatically then only one step easily enter mobile phone Bluetooth setting to pair the earbuds.
- [IPX8 waterproof]- Earbuds and charging case inner Nano-coating makes it possible to waterproof for 1 meters deep for 30 minutes. It is suitable for sports to prevent water. Ideal for sweating it out at the gym . Even Wash the earbuds and base.
- [Charge on-the-go]-TOZO T10 wireless earbuds can last for over 4 hours' playtime from a single charge and 14 extra hours in the compact charging case. Charging case support wireless charging. Providing convenient charging way with no strings attached.
- Deep, accurate bass response, extended frequency range, rechargeable
- 5-Button control, including play/pause/answer/hang-up, equalizer, next track/volume up, previous track/volume down
- Ear cups fit around ears to help isolate Audio, foldable design for easy carry, noise canceling design
- Micro SD card plug-in, built in radio receiver, built in mic for hands free calling
- New: 6 months!! Exchange warranty! If your headset breaks or is damaged for any reason, pranks will provide you with a free replacement!
- Professional Active Noise Cancelling Technology. Significant noise reduction for travel, work and anywhere in between. Advanced active noise reduction technology quells airplane cabin noise, city traffic or a busy office, makes you focus on what you want to hear,enjoy your music, movies and videos. The noise cancellation function can work well both in wire and wireless mode.
- Proprietary 40mm Large-aperture Drivers. Deep, accurate bass response. The Active Noise Cancelling around-ear headphones from COWIN give you crisp, powerful sound and quiet that helps you enjoy your music better. The goal that provide Customers with better sound quality, is our constant pursuit.
- High-quality Built-in Microphone and NFC Technology. COWIN E7 provides high-quality built-in microphone for hands-free calls, Which is convenient for you to free yourself from wires. NFC pairing aided by voice prompts, promises quick and stable connection with your Bluetooth enabled devices, Powerful Bluetooth Function.
- The Professional Protein Earpad and 90° Swiveling Earcups. More durability and comfort, Enjoy high-quality, Long-listen comfort. Skin texture, lightweight comfortable around-ear fit you can wear all day long. Gentle Reminder: please take off the headphone every 2-3 hrs to get your ears relax, in order to get better hearing enjoyment, and keep the head comfortable.
- 30 Hours Playtime Per Charge at Bluetooth Mode. A built-in 600mAh battery won't allow your headphones power off, you can enjoy your world without noise for 30 hours' long time. Don't need to worry the power shortage problem on the long travel. 18-month warranty and quick response & friendly customer service. Note: The exclusive authorized seller is COWIN.
- Upgraded 18 hours playtime: its powerful rechargeable 220mAh battery provides up to 18 hours of continuous music or phone conversation with a single full charge. Mpow jaws upgraded Gen5 Bluetooth headphones take around 3 hours for a full charge and provide up to 450 hours standby time. No need to worry about dead battery during outdoor activities.
- Advanced Bluetooth 5. 0: with the latest Bluetooth 5. 0 + CSR 8635 chip, this Mpow Bluetooth neckband headphones offer enhanced sound transmission, faster pairing, more stable wireless connection and wider compatibility with Bluetooth enabled cell phones, tablets, computers, Smart watches and smart speakers (E. G. , echo).
- Bass Boost sound: with bass up technology and 8mm dynamic speaker system, Mpow jaws upgraded Gen5 Bluetooth headphones neckband provide more powerful bass and crisp treble. Perfect for different music styles and melodies. Fewer buttons more convenient: unlike previous models, This version has only 3 buttons. You can easily control it during music or calls on just one side.
- Distinct shark-like & magnetic earbuds: The lightweight neckband which looks like a Shark mouth is Mpow unique design. Its magnetic earbuds allow you to attach them to the slots of the neckband when not using. You can wear it like a necklace around your neck, a convenient way to carry. (Note: Cables are not retractable! )
- Call vibration & CVC 6. 0 noise-cancelling mic: Mpow jaws upgraded Gen5 Bluetooth headset will vibrate when a call comes in so that you won't miss any calls when earbuds are not in ears. It will vibrate when powers on/off, too. The built-in CVC6. 0 noise-cancelling microphone can reduce background noises so as to provide crystal-clear sound for hands-free calls.
- IMPRESSIVE SOUND QUALITY IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL: The High-fidelity stereo sound benefits from the 40mm neodymium driver, CSR chip, and the around-ear cushion design which provide a well-closed and immersed enviroment for your ears, Just lose yourself in the music! NOTE: Mpow 059 headphones is passive noise isolating, NOT active noise cancellation(ANC), it can't cancel the noise completely but it won't drain the battery and damage the sound. 2. The closed-back design provides immersive Hi-Fi sound with CSR chip and 40mm driver together, it is better than ANC in term of sounds quality
- BUILT TO STAY COMFORTABLE: The Memory-protein ear cushion simulate human skin texture, ensuring lasting comfort. The stainless steel slider and softly padded headband allows you to find the perfect fit without constraint and provide excellent durability
- NEVER POWER OFF, BOTH WIRELESS & WIRED: 1. The wireless mode: Battery update to 20-hr music time/ talking time in a single charge. A 10-minute charge gives 2 hours of play when battery is low. 2. The Wired mode: you can also use it as a wired headphone with the provided audio cable so the headphones will never power off
- HANDS-FREE CALL & BUILT-IN MIC: Please Note: The Microphone only works in the wireless mode. Mpow Bluetooth headphones provide a quick and stable connection with your Bluetooth enabled devices like cell phones, tablets, pc, TVs within 33 feet, with a high-quality built-in microphone for hands-free calls
- FOLDABLE DESIGN WITH A PORTABLE BAG & GENTLE REMINDER: The foldable Headband is not only designed for saving your desk space but for carrying in the provided bag. Gentle Reminder: Depending on your head/ear size/shape, it may be a little tight(feels like"on ear") for someone to wear which is designed to avoid sound leakage. In case of that and to get both audio and wearing comfort, please take off the headphone every 1-2 hrs to get your ears relax and protect them from muggy environment in use
- 24-Month Hassle-Free Warranty, Easy to Reach Customer Service
- Wireless bluetooth in-ear headphones with comfortable earhooks , comes with 3 earbud cover sizes (small, regular, large) and a black storage pouch. IPX7 sweatproof, perfect for sports, running, exercise, the gym, travel and more.
- Bluetooth version 4.1 and EDR universal compatibility. Play up to 8 hours of music time, 250 hours of standby time and charges fully in 1.5-2 hours with red light indicator. Up to 30 feet of Bluetooth range in open space. Can be connected with two devices simultaneously and quick pairing with Android, iOS and other Bluetooth devices.
- Includes volume control, press + (increase) button to forward to next song and - (lower) button to rewind songs. Press button to play/pause music, and pick/end calls.
- Package inludes: NP11 Wireless Bluetooth Headset, 3 different sizes of earbud covers (small,regular, large), micro USB charging cable and black storage pouch.
- Up to 100 hours of playtime: You can use the Bluetooth headphones for 40 days when you use them for 3 hours A day or travel with the headphones for a month without charging.
- Deep bass function: The wireless headphones with 40mm large-aperture drivers and Deep bass function deliver premium playback with superb bass depth and HD clarity.
- Hands-free Calls: Our built-in microphone and control buttons allow you to take phone calls effortlessly. No more important calls will be missed. Note: Our microphone only works in wireless mode.
- Wired and Wireless Music: Our earphones use Bluetooth technology that ensures easy and stable connections and seamless audio/video syncing. The 3.5mm audio cable included is provided to give you an even longer music listening experience.
- Unparalleled Comfort and Portable Design: With ergonomic design and ultra-soft ear cups, our H10 Bluetooth headphones ensure all-day listening comfort. Our foldable design and user-friendly carry bag make storing and carrying easy peasy. Enjoy your music on the go.
The Best Bluetooth Headphones Buying Guide
Before choosing your next Bluetooth headphones, you need to consider various features. For example, you need to evaluate whether a pair of wired or completely wireless earphones are better for you (therefore without a cable that connects the right earphone to the left earphone), you have to check how long the earphones last before having to be recharged, what types of controls have and so on. For all the details, read on.
Most Bluetooth headphones are in-ear type; therefore they are introduced directly into the ear canal through some interchangeable rubbers that are usually supplied in three different sizes (Small, Medium and Large) to adapt to various types of ear.
Those who do not like in-ear earphones, alas, have little choice, but luckily some classic earphones that rest only in the ear without inserting it in the ear canal ( earbuds ) still exist.
Another difference that must be carefully considered is that relating to the cable. Most Bluetooth headphones have a cable that connects the right earphone to the left earphone (and on which, often, the microphone and controls are included), but there are also 100% wireless earphones that do not have any type of cable. As can be easily guessed, the earphones without cable are a little more comfortable, they can also be used in mono mode (as a single headset for calls) but are lost much more easily and can be more uncomfortable for volume control, music playback etc.
In earphones with cable, the quality of the cable itself, its tendency to create tangles and its color must be evaluated, because after all, the eye also wants its part!
Bluetooth Headphone for Sports
There are also earphones intended exclusively for sports, which have characteristics that differentiate them from earphones for everyday activities (the so-called city earphones) and make them ideal for use in the gym or while running. For example, they are resistant to sweat, dust and rain; often have a headband that rests on the outer part of the ear to increase stability during physical activities (or it is the earphones themselves that have a bow shape) and can include sensors for detecting the heartbeat or counting steps and calories burned.
Finally, a separate discussion must be made for the Bluetooth mono earphones, i.e. those consisting of a single unit, which includes a microphone and is used only to make calls without keeping the smartphone close to the ear. In most cases, it is not possible to buy two mono earphones and use them in stereo mode to listen to music. Instead, you can purchase a pair of fully wireless headphones, such as Apple’s AirPods or Samsung’s Gear IconX, and use them in mono mode for calls by wearing only one.
Autonomy and Charging Times
Bluetooth headphones are battery-operated, so before buying a pair, you need to check their autonomy and their charging times.
Some earphones offer a quick charge function that allows you to get 1 hour of battery life (or a little more) with a charge of a few minutes.
If you are a type who always forgets to charge your mobile phone or other electronic devices, you could consider buying a pair of earphones with fast charging to avoid running out of music before going out or going for a run.
Pairing Methods and Supported Devices
Most Bluetooth headphones are compatible with the Bluetooth 4.1, Bluetooth 4.2 and Bluetooth 5.0 standards and are backwards compatible with the previous Bluetooth standards, so regardless of the type of smartphone, tablet or PC you have, you should not have compatibility problems. The range that the headphones connected via the latest Bluetooth standards can cover is 10 meters.
Some headphones are also equipped with support for NFC technology, which allows you to pair with smartphones and tablets faster than the classic Bluetooth pairing. Just put the earbuds close to a smartphone or tablet with NFC support, and you’re done.
To be taken into consideration, there is also the maximum number of devices to which it is possible to associate a pair of wireless earphones without having to first disassociate them from other previously paired devices. The headphones that support pairing with multiple devices simultaneously allow you to switch from one device to another without having to repeat boring pairing procedures and, above all, without “forgetting” the device used previously. Then there are the multi-point earphones that can be connected to two Bluetooth devices simultaneously and manage them at the same time (e.g. one to receive calls and one to listen to music).
Controls, Microphone and Compatibility
Another feature that must be carefully considered before buying a pair of wireless headphone is that related to the controls.
The controls can be included on the cable that connects the two earphones or in the earphones themselves; they allow you to adjust the volume, answer calls, control multimedia playback and invoke services such as Siri and Google’s voice assistant.
In most cases, the controls work regardless of the device and the operating system used, but there are also controls that work on one system and not on the other, or maybe they work only partially. For example, you may find yourself buying a pair of headphones that allows you to control the volume, calls and music but not to invoke Siri on the iPhone. Check the compatibility of the controls carefully before purchasing a pair of wireless earphones.
The microphone for answering calls, on the other hand, is present on most headphones. Only the quality and the level of reducing external noise change (which must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis).
Sound Quality and Isolation
The sound quality varies from product to product; general considerations cannot be made. To find out which headphones sound as you like (e.g. with emphasis on bass or balanced sound on all frequencies) read the reviews and comments available online. As for the degree of isolation from external noise, it all depends on the quality of the headsets and the rubbers they have.
Many manufacturers allow you to adjust the sound equalization and other parameters of their headphones through practical smartphone apps. If you want to have complete control over the type of sound that needs to come out of the earphones (within limits imposed by the hardware), buy that has a good support app.
In the technical specifications of the Bluetooth headphones, in addition to the values relating to autonomy and range, you may find parameters such as frequency response, impedance and sensitivity. Here are their meanings in brief.
Design and Ergonomics
The first factor to consider before purchasing these devices is a direct consequence of the design or ergonomics. Bluetooth headphones, are real objects of wearable technology and, as such, must be comfortable.
In other words, whoever wears the headphones must not perceive an annoying object inserted in his ear canal. The form of the latter is different from person to person.
Therefore, headphones could be convenient and comfortable for one subject, while another could perceive them as annoying and bulky. Also for this reason, often several rubbers/adapters are supplied.
In-Ear Vs In-Ear Canal
Another element to evaluate the ergonomics of the headsets is undoubtedly the type of the latter. In fact, we can distinguish between in-ear earphones and in-ear canal earphones.
If we talk about Apple AirPods shape, they should not be inserted deep into the ear canal. They are therefore very comfortable (almost not perceived in the ear), but certainly not very stable and with limited sound insulation.
In contrast, in-ear canal earphones are inserted deeper and, at the moment, represent the most popular sub-category of products.
This type of earphones offers excellent stability and improved sound insulation.
Obviously, among the most relevant factors to evaluate the comfort of the headphones are the size and weight of the devices.
These may vary from model to model, but most of the products on the market have a very small footprint. However, headsets with physical controls are usually larger than those with touch technologies.
Of course, audio performance has a fundamental weight in the choice. Unfortunately, manufacturers are providing less and less technical information about headsets, making it fairly complicated to judge devices based on objective data. Often, you need to rely on the brand reputation itself and the feedback available online.
Frequency response is one of the easiest data to find when it comes to headphones. As we know, the human ear is able to hear sounds within a certain frequency range, in this case from 20 to 20000 Hz.
Any sound belonging to this range is audible, although other factors must also be taken into account, such as the age of the subject. In fact, over the years, hearing loses the ability to detect sounds with higher frequency, also influencing a possible judgment on the performance of a pair of Bluetooth headsets.
When purchasing Bluetooth headphones, it is advisable to move towards models that have a frequency response in the range mentioned above.
The latter is considered to be an international standard, although many budget Bluetooth headsets are unable to achieve it.
Another criterion for assessing the audio performance of Bluetooth headphones is certainly impedance.
This indicates the resistance that the audio signal encounters in the coil placed inside the earphone. It is measured in ohms and, generally, higher impedance values correspond to better sound quality.
On the contrary, the impedance value is inversely proportional to the performance in terms of volume (the greater the obstacle that the sound must overcome, the more challenging to reach high reproduction volumes).
To make the right choice, we advise you to orient yourself on products that have an impedance of at least 30 Ohm. This should be sufficient to offer good sound quality.
Drivers, as for the purchase of Bluetooth soundbars and speakers, are one of the most decisive factors. It is the physical element placed inside the earphones, capable of transforming the electrical signal into sound. In other words, it’s the speakers placed inside the ear-plugs.
Obviously, the larger their size, the more powerful the sound will be. However, today’s drivers are able to achieve excellent performance, while maintaining rather small dimensions (approx. 15 mm).
The Bluetooth headphones, thanks to Bluetooth connectivity, connect to our smartphone (“pairing”) and offer the possibility to manage some of its features.
Obviously, the features change according to the model of headphone chosen, but in most cases, they include:
- Switch the earphones on / off
- Change song being played
- Answer/end calls
- Activate the voice assistant
- Raise / lower volume
- Activate NFC
Microphone and Calls
True wireless headphones are also devices that can make our calls more comfortable when we are on the move, obviously thanks to the integrated microphone.
In addition, the physical or touch controls of the device allow you to easily answer or close the line, without putting your hand on the phone. To evaluate the quality of the calls, you need to focus on the microphone power, noise isolation and stability of the Bluetooth connection.
Apart from the functions that can be managed directly from the earphones, it is good also to consider the presence of apps to associate and the additional features that they offer.
In fact, the brands of the best Bluetooth headphones offer dedicated apps where you can directly control the settings from your smartphone, adjust the equalizer, customize the keys or access some additional information.
For example, some models dedicated to athletes integrate accelerometer and heart rate monitor and allow you to track physical activity directly in the app, just like in other apps specialized in fitness tracking.
Noise cancellation or noise cancelling is a much sought after feature in the latest generation headphones and earphones. However, there is a first distinction to be made between passive and active noise cancelling.
The first refers to the “physical” ability of the earphones to adhere to the ear canal and prevent the passage of external sounds. So this is a feature closely related to the shape and structure of the headset. Active noise cancelling (ANC), on the other hand, uses a dedicated technology to cancel external noises.
Active Noise Cancellation
In other words, the headphones with ANC integrate a microphone capable of detecting the frequencies of external sounds, so as to cancel them by emitting opposite frequencies.
This is particularly useful in situations with fairly uniform and persistent background noise, for example on public transport or on aeroplanes.
This value indicates the acoustic pressure expressed by the earphones in relation to the applied voltage (2.83 volts listening at 1m distance) and is measured in dB. The higher the sensitivity, the greater the volume that the headsets can reach without distorting the sound.
Another feature that can be found in Bluetooth headsets is the support for aptX technology, which allows you to have 24-bit audio streaming, with therefore a higher quality than that of classic Bluetooth transmissions and even that of audio CDs.