Knives, mainly if used in professional kitchens, need to be sharpened after some time. A very valid method to obtain the blade as new is to use one of the specific diamond sharpenings stones for this purpose, which manages to get an excellent result.
Take a look at our guide, which can help you choose the most suitable type for the use you need to do. Compare prices to find a model in line with your budget.
Here we had listed out some of the best diamond sharpening stones that are present below.
- Convenience & Durability - diamond sharpening plates are far more durable and easily to maintain than whetstones because they...
- Double-sided Grit Design - easily tackle both coarse and fine sharpening jobs with just one sharpening stone
- Cutting-edge technology - steel plates are precisely machined and electroplated with monocrystalline diamonds, which gives them a...
- Precision & quality control - we keep our quality control standard high only to offer our customers the fastest and smoothest...
- Universal Application - diamond sharpeners can be applied to honing a wide range of straight edged tools such as chisels and...
- DOUBLE SIDED - Site and workshop bench stone with UNIQUE CLEARANCE CHANNEL on coarse side to produce faster, cleaner cut
- PRIMARY USE: Flattening chisels and planer blades as well as achieving a shaving edge on your tools in seconds
- PRECISION FLATNESS: Use with no pressure
- DIAMOND GRADES: Marked on stone; Extra fine grit of 1000; Coarse grit of 300
- GUARANTEED for five years when used with Trend Lapping Fluid. ALSO INCLUDES: Pouch, cleaning block and non-slip mat
- The Best Value We've Seen! 3 stones included.
- Extremely fast 300, 600 and 1200 grit diamond sharpening stones
- Everything you need to go from dull to razor sharp!
- Stone Size: 2" x 6"
- No Questions Asked 100% Guarantee
- Package contents: the package comes with 3 pieces sharpener stones in different styles, including 400 grit, 600 grit and 1000...
- Proper size: each diamond sharpening stone measures approx. 5.9 x 2.48 Inches (L x W), appropriate size makes it to be light in...
- Reliable material: made of diamond material, the honeycomb surface sharpener is safe and reliable, not easy to break or fade, with...
- Versatile usages: the diamond plate honing stone can be applied to sharpen household kitchen knives, wood chisels, jade, seals,...
- Warm using tips: after sharpening, do remember to wash the knife before cutting; In order to get nice results, use with water or...
- Durable and reliable: made of diamond material, the honeycomb surface sharpener is safe and durable, not easy to break or fade,...
- Appropriate size: the size of the diamond sharpening stone is about 5.9 x 2.48 Inches (L x W), appropriate size makes it to be...
- Wide range of applications: you can use the diamond plate honing stone to sharpen household kitchen knives, wood chisels, jade,...
- Sufficient quantity: you will receive 4 pieces sharpener stones in different styles, including 400 grit, 600 grit 1000 grit and...
- Using tips: after sharpening, do remember to wash the knife before cutting; In order to get nice results, use with water or honing...
- The Best Value We've Ever Seen!
- 8" x 3" - Extremely fast 300, 600 and 1200 grit diamond sharpening stone set
- Quickly sharpens all knives and tools (including ceramic knives)
- Stone Holder included (holds all stones from 6-9 inches long)
- Each stone is 8" x 3" and weighs 2.2 pounds. Total package weight is 8.5 pounds
- This DMT kit Comes with 3 different Textures coarse/fine/extra fine
- The innovative pattern of the recessed dots is key to the DMT difference
- The dots keep the diamond surface clean for fast and efficient hone of all materials
- Quick edge repair anywhere
- 3 different diamond stones: extra-fine to polish and refine an edge, fine for a razor sharp edge and coarse to transform a dull...
- 4 DIFFERENT SHARPENING PLATES: There are four different diamond sharpening plates in total for knife sharpener. They respectively...
- DIAMOND MATERIAL: The diamond sharpening plate is made from diamond, which turns out to be tougher, stronger and more durable than...
- USER-FRIENDLY DESIGN: One of the most outstanding features of this diamond sharpening plate is that there is no need to use water...
- MORE ACCURATE & EFFECTIVE: This type of sharpening plate can not only be used alone but more importantly, you can use it together...
- MULTIPRUPOSE USE: There is no doubt that this diamond sharpening plate has a wide range of application and it can be widely used...
Things to Consider Before Buying Diamond Sharpening Stone
Artificial or Natural
The choice of the right sharpening stone depends very much on two factors: the experience in the matter and the expense you want to face.
Those who are beginners will be able to use an artificial model, which has the advantage of having a very affordable price and being suitable for obtaining good results but without great demands.
However, the fact that they have a uniform surface is a guarantee that they will provide the same performance throughout their life. This may not happen with a natural stone which, when consumed, could reveal a harder layer, with inclusions that limit its usefulness.
Their advantage lies in allowing to sharpen the blades with great precision and in such a way as to make them sharp so as not to fragment the food. In this way, all the nutritional characteristics of the food can be maintained, allowing you to prepare dishes with a more intense aroma.
Their peculiarity is that they must be lubricated with water and not with oils or other substances. Otherwise, they will be rendered unusable.
Further down, you will find our ranking, which includes some of the most valuable products on the market. Before going in search of the best brand, it is good to understand why to choose a sharpening stone and not a sharpener.
In fact, in the long run, this element can ruin the edge of the blade, in particular that of Japanese knives, with a V-inclination angle. European ones, with a U-angle, still obtain a good result with the right practice or help from some guides.
Each element has a different grain, on the basis of which it is possible to have the desired result. The one between 240 and 400 is ideal for roughing and aligning the sharpening.
The 800 and 1000 models are used respectively to optimize and revive the yarn. Those from 4000 and up to 6000 are suitable for experts who want a knife with a shiny blade. The ideal choice would be to use three stones: one for grinding, one for sharpening and one for polishing.
If the review of other users can be useful to understand which type is most suitable for the use you have to make of it, the dimensions must be determined by the frequency with which you will use it.
Those who want to use it occasionally can resort to a combined stone: you will get different effects with just one job. The bigger it is, the sooner you will finish sharpening the blade; even with a small model, the result will be useful, but it will take a little longer.
The stone has small dimensions, with a size that does not create problems for the various users, especially once the sharpening process is finished.
The variable grain then settles on a value of 1,000 for the sharpening process, characterized by the yellow side, then passing through a grain of 3,000 suitable instead of sharpening the blade on which you want to work.
The excellent quality of the product guarantees satisfactory results, also confirmed by the positive opinions of those users who have decided to trust the brand, finding themselves with an object capable of keeping what was promised.
The choice than to offer two different processes, both enclosed in the same object, increases the practicality and usability of the stone for sharpening.
Thanks to a comfortable and stable base, the sharpening stone can be positioned without problems on a table, so as to allow a simple and effective sharpening maneuver. For users who fear an overall fragility, online comments move from this perception of solidity and reliability.
By using a grain with a variable composition, it is thus possible to create robustness without neglecting the essential purpose on which such a product is based.
We are helping users in creating pointed blades just enough, thus creating a set of knives at the height of different operations, from cutting meat to filleting fish or vegetables.
Through one or more controlled passages of the blade on the stone, the user is able to improve the knife-edge each time.
It is thanks to this effect that the results are seen after a short time, in some cases forcing users to pay even more attention to the moment of cutting, given the genuinely effective sharpening achieved by the blades just worked.
For those who appreciate a different style and prefer to improve or finish, just turn the stone and use the lighter colored side. This adds more to what the knife already has, for a finish suitable for the circumstances.
How to Use a Diamond Sharpening Stone
Chefs usually restore the edge of their knives using sharpening stones. These products, also known as a whetstone, have also found wide use in our traditional kitchens, and today they are highly appreciated for their speed and extreme effectiveness.
They were also used in ancient times to improve the yield of agricultural tools used for harvesting and cutting fodder and even before battles to make warrior swords sharper.
Why Sharpen with Stone
The best way to sharpen kitchen knives and make them look like new is to use a good whetstone. The sharpening made with stone, in fact, is very homogeneous and above all delicate both on steel and on metal in general.
However, it is also true that sharpening with a whetstone is not a very simple undertaking and for those who are less experienced it will take time to become familiar with this tool but, once you have learned the right technique, you will be delighted, and you will not be able to more do without.
In addition, the sharpening stones can be used both to finish the blades and to repair them when they have already lost their efficiency, and you can guarantee greater longevity even for your professional knives at a considerable cost.
For the first uses, however, we suggest you try them first on older and worn-out knives, then moving on to the more professional ones when you feel more confident.
The Type of Stone
Hone stones can be both natural and synthetic and can be used dry, with oil or with water. The most efficient, and unfortunately also the most expensive, are the diamond ones consisting of a metal surface covered with small diamond fragments.
Water-based ones, on the other hand, are softer and make sharpening faster and easier; finally, oil products, although they tend to dirty the work surface more, are made of harder materials and reduce the damaging action of the heat produced by friction.
Artificial stones are the most popular because, in addition to being more homogeneous, they also have a more affordable cost, although professionals tend to prefer natural ones due to the high abrasiveness that makes the blade more precise and sharp.
Finally, there are also ceramic stones that you can use to sharpen ceramic cutting tools, but remembering that it will not be possible to use them for steel or metal.
Choose the Grain
The sharpening stones are generally rectangular in shape with one coarse grain side used to remove any irregularities, and the other with a finer grain for sharpening and polishing the blade.
Each stone has a specific function and mainly: the coarser ones, with a grain size from 240 to 400, are used for very damaged and worn knives.
The intermediate ones, between 800 and 2,000, are mainly used to finish the thread and are recommended, especially in the case of frequent use, while those with a finer grain, from 4,000 to 6,000, for polishing and reviving the blades.
In principle, if you have a good set of kitchen knives and you want to ensure excellent sharpening for each one, you can still purchase a double-sided hone that implements two types of grain, to be used according to needs.