Welcome to our article dedicated to the electric hedge trimmer. If you have a garden of a certain size, you already know how difficult it is to keep the hedges well-kept and beautiful to look at.
Also, if you have an artistic streak and you like to give them shapes, doing it by hand can be a challenge. Fortunately, you have a wide range of electric hedge trimmers on the market that can make this job much easier.
Maybe you’re wondering why it has to be an electric model. Well for many reasons. First of all, because they do not emit fumes and do not pollute. Then because they are cheaper and ideal for beginners. Anyway, if you are looking for a good hedge trimmer to work in your garden and you have not yet decided, keep reading and we will try to help you.
Right below we had listed out the best electric hedge trimmers.
Things to Consider Before Buying Electric Hedge Trimmers
You have already been able to see which models of electric hedge trimmers we recommend. in this section, we will explain what these appliances are and how they can help you in your garden. We will do this by answering some of the most common questions among buyers of electric hedge trimmers.
What Are the Main Brands of Electric Hedge Trimmers?
On the market, you will find brands such as Gardena or Husqvarna, specialists in hedge trimmers, and gasoline agricultural machines. However, if what you are looking for is an electrical device, other brands such as Bosch, Black & Decker, and Stihl are the most suitable.
Gardena and Husqvarna make hedge trimmers with electric motors, but they are not their specialty. For electrical devices, Bosch and Black & Decker are undisputed leaders.
Their tools are cheap, easy to find and both accessories and spare parts are everywhere. Other brands like Stihl, Makita, or Tacklife also produce solid and reliable instruments.
What Disadvantages Does an Electric Hedge Trimmer Have?
Although it is a very useful tool, before seeing the advantages of the electric hedge trimmer, we would like to talk to you about some problems that can arise in using it. So we hope to show you a general picture to make you make the final decision.
- Consistent Material and Lignified Stems: electric hedge trimmers cannot work well on this type of hard plant material. The 600 W motors also suffer.
- Hard Shrubs: When working on woody shrubs like Pyracantha hedges, electric machines don’t work well. And the same goes for shrubs that have large diameter branches.
- Notched Sword Size: as a general rule, less power corresponds to a shorter word length. This can be a problem. The most powerful electric hedge trimmers have swords of 60 cm and a distance of 25 mm between the teeth, which is insufficient for some jobs.
- The Connection: electric hedge trimmers must be connected to electricity (unless they are battery powered). This, being a garden tool, can be problematic.
What Are the Advantages of The Electric Hedge Trimmer?
Now we come to the interesting part of the article, that is, the one concerning the advantages of buying an instrument like the electric hedge trimmer. The main one is that it costs less than the petrol one. And not only at the time of purchase because maintenance and spare parts are also cheaper. Do you
Want to Know What Are the Other Advantages?
It does not contaminate: in addition to the power source (cable or battery), this hedge trimmer is ‘clean’ since it does not have an internal combustion engine and therefore does not emit polluting gases.
- Quiet: although the hedge trimmer is a noisy tool in itself, the electric ones have lower noise emissions than petrol models.
- Lighter: another advantage is that it is much lighter (about 3 kg). This point is very important especially if you are not used to working with this tool.
- Maintenance: one of the best features of electric hedge trimmers is that they hardly need maintenance. As long as the sword is sharp, the machine will work perfectly.
What Features Can Affect the Price of An Electric Hedge Trimmer?
As we just explained in the previous section, electric hedge trimmers are cheaper than gasoline ones. However, there are some factors that can make a considerable difference in the price of one model or another. For example, battery-powered products are more expensive than cable models.
To give you an idea, we will explain what are the main factors that influence the final price of your hedge trimmer. In this way, you can better calculate your budget and perfect your purchase.
- The brand: it is not the same thing to buy a hedge trimmer of an unknown brand compared to a more emblazoned model, such as Black & Decker.
- The power source: as we have already said,pole hedge trimmers that connect via cable are cheaper than battery-powered ones.
- Power: the higher the power, the higher the price. While it may seem obvious, it must be clear to you that a powerful hedge trimmer is expensive.
- Notched Sword: Machines that have a longer notched sword will be more expensive. With this, you can reach more complicated places and taller and thicker hedges.
How Should I Take Care of The Electric Hedge Trimmer?
You’re in luck, as electric hedge trimmers are machines that require little maintenance. However, this does not mean that you can forget about it. Like any car, it needs some care if you want it to last for many years. There are a few things you can’t ignore:
- It is important to clean the hedge trimmer every time you stop using it. During pruning, lymph and plant debris adhere to the sword and mechanisms. These remains can corrode the pieces.
- Clean the space between each tooth thoroughly. If traces of dirt remain between your teeth, the next time you want the hedge trimmer, it will be less efficient.
- Sharpen the teeth of the sword whenever you notice some resistance when cutting. Many models have easily accessible teeth that do not require disassembly of the sword. Be that as it may, rely on the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never use the electric hedge trimmer in the rain or when it is too hot (because it overheats more easily.
- Make sure you have enough cable to work comfortably and don’t pull it any longer than necessary.
- Check that the cable is always behind you to avoid cutting it.
By now you already know everything: an electric hedge trimmer is a tool specialized in pruning hedges and shrubs. It features an electric motor, small and silent, and a cutting sword. It is a very useful tool that does not pollute and with which you can model your garden and give vent to your artistic vein.
In this article, we have explained everything you need to know to buy a good electric hedge trimmer. We have shown you the best models on the market and we have answered some of the most common questions. In addition, we have described the main purchase factors to keep in mind. Now it’s your turn to choose.