If you are looking for a pole hedge trimmers, it is probably because you got tired of pruning the hedges and shrubs of your garden with shears. And maybe you know it takes too long to get a job done well. In fact, there is no more effective garden tool than the pole hedge trimmers to help your plants grow healthy and lush, which periodically needs to be pruned.
With a professional pole hedge trimmers, you can give vent to your green thumb and even a new life to your garden! In this guide, we have collected all the necessary information, with the aim of sweeping away the doubts about the pole hedge trimmers and providing you with a complete picture of it to make you buy the best for your needs.
If, like many, you prefer to buy your products online directly from home, it is likely that you have already taken a look at the models that can be found on the Internet. The options are really many and, in order not to waste your time, we have collected the best ones for you: they have been selected based on the brand, the numbers of items sold and the positive reviews of the buyers, for this reason, we consider them all reliable pole hedge trimmers.
Our selection of best pole hedge trimmers in the market.
- Great for trimming large and small hedges, shrubs and bushes
- Quickly swaps from electric pole hedge trimmer to handheld hedge trimmer in seconds
- Telescoping pole adjusts from 3.8 ft to 5.9 feet for up to 13 feet of overhead reach
- Dual-action blades cut efficiently with up to 40% less vibration
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty
- 18 IN. DUAL-ACTION BLADE – Delivers less vibration than single-action blades for trimming hedges, shrubs, and bushes up to 7/16...
- 180° PIVOTING HEAD – Adjusts to 5 different positions for cutting both high- and low-growing plants.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND ADJUSTABLE – Pole hedge trimmer weighs only 7.7 lbs. The adjustable 6-1/2 ft. length extends for a trimming...
- CORDED – Corded design offers unlimited runtime for even the biggest jobs.
- RUST-PROOF FIBERGLASS SECTIONS – Durable interlocking sections for a strong, secure connection.
- 7- position, 180⁰ articulating head offers customized cutting angles for hedges of any shape and size
- 1 in. cutting capacity for superior cutting performance
- Up to 12 ft. max reach** **Based on a 6.0 ft. person holding the pole in a straightened position at shoulder level, at a 90 degree...
- 22 in. hardened steel laser cut dual action blade for fast cutting with 2800 spm
- 1 in. cutting gap for cutting performance on thick branches
- 40V COMBO KIT – This polesaw / pole hedge trimmer combo kit allows you to keep your trees and hedges trimmed and healthy,...
- 8” BAR AND CHAIN (POLESAW) – for easy trimming of branches
- 20” BLADE (POLE HEDGE) – dual action blade for optimal performance, and trimming of tall hedges. 7-position pivoting head for...
- EASY ADJUST TENSIONING - for quick tightening of the polesaw chain
- AUTOMATIC OILER – applies oil to the bar and chain to ensure durability and extend the life of the chain
- Best use: ideal for cutting tall bushes, hedges and shrubs
- Telescoping pole extends reach to up to 7.9 ft providing up to 13 ft of overhead reach
- Adjustable, pivoting head to get under and above tall hedges
- 0.7" cutting capacity for controlled, precise trimming of most bushes and hedges
- 21-Inch hardened steel dual action blade for optimal performance and durability
- 7- position, 180-degree articulating head of the cordless hedge trimmer offers customized cutting angles for hedges of any shape...
- Battery powered hedge trimmer has 1-inch cutting capacity for superior cutting performance
- Trimmers for plants have up to 12 ft. max reach**
- 22-inch hardened steel laser cut dual action blade for fast cutting with 2800 spm
- 1-inch cutting gap for cutting performance on thick branches
- DCPS620B: The pole saws for tree trimming has an extension Pole for up to 15 ft. reach, based on a 6 ft. person holding the saw in...
- DCPS620B: Metal bucking strip and tree hook of the electric pole saw are designed for durable cutting grip and to easily remove...
- DCPS620B: The tree trimmer pole saw has brushless motor for up to 96 cuts per charge on a 4-inch x 4-inch pressure treated pine...
- DCPH820BH: Hedge Timmer Attachment is compatible with the DCPS620B Pole Saw
- DCPH820BH: Tackle hard to reach angles with 7- position, 180 degree articulating head
- G-max 40V Li-Ion battery system powers multiple tools for complete yard system-includes 2Ah battery and charger.Includes one 2.0...
- 20-inch Steel dual action blade for optimal performance and durability
- 5/8-inch cutting capacity for controlled, easy trimming of most bushes and hedges without the need of multiple tools
- 3 position pivoting head adjusts blade with extended reach handle for trimming at multiple angles
- Includes one 2.0 Ah battery and charger. Included 40V Battery powers over 60 Greenworks 40V tools
- DCPS620M1: The pole saws for tree trimming has an extension Pole for up to 15 ft. reach
- DCPS620M1: Metal bucking strip and tree hook of the electric pole saw are designed for durable cutting grip and to easily remove...
- DCPS620M1: The tree trimmer pole saw has brushless motor for up to 96 cuts per charge on a 4-inch x 4-inch pressure treated pine...
- DCPH820BH: Hedge Timmer Attachment is compatible with the DCPS620M1 Pole Saw
- DCPH820BH: Tackle hard to reach angles with 7- position, 180 degree articulating head
- 20 in. blade length
- Dual action, steel blades
- 1" Cut Capacity
- 12 point articulation
- For use with EGO's Power Head Multi-Tool (PH1400)
- 25.4 cc professional-grade two-stroke engine manufactured from military-grade magnesium
- Easy start-ability especially for re-starts in hot, dusty climates
- Offset gear case design provides ideal spacing between user and cutting surface
- 4.6:1 gear reduction provides high torque which translates into superior cutting performance
- 21 In. Double-sided, double-reciprocating RazorEdge blades feature three sharpened edges for more efficient cutting
- 51 In. Shaft with 7 deg angle provides greater reach and visibility of hedges while cutting
- 25.4 cc Professional-grade, 2-stroke engine
- Bellows-Style Fuel Transfer System: Provides for easy start-ability especially for re-starts in hot, dusty climates
- Two-Stage Air Filtration System: Dramatically increases cleaning capability and allows for longer maintenance intervals
Everything You Need to Know About Pole Hedge Trimmers
Pole hedge trimmers are used to prune hedges, trees, and shrubs. Telescopic or normal models can be found on the market: the former is perfect for reaching high branches and areas that are difficult to access.
If you are a professional of the trade, the final choice can only fall on a gasoline hedge trimmer. Despite the maintenance required, its power and performance offered are incomparable.
The hedge trimmer blades are the most delicate and sensitive part of each model: they must be able to be sharpened and replaced easily since the quality of the cut depends on them. In the purchase criteria section, we will go into more detail.
The Best Pole Hedge Trimmers on The Market
Maintaining the well-kept garden is a great challenge, which cannot be overcome without the right tools; among these, the hedge trimmer stands out, absolutely essential to guarantee plants a thriving life through the necessary periodic pruning. If you don’t know the product well, or if you are a gardening enthusiast and want to know more about the topic, in the next lines, you will find the answers to your questions.
What are Pole Hedge Trimmers?
It is nothing but a machine equipped with blades, motor, and handle, which is used to prune the branches of plants and shrubs. The blades can have different lengths and materials, while the motor can be electric or petrol, and it is not intended for models that are powered by current (now almost in disuse). Someone also uses it as a support to the mower, to improve the appearance of the garden.
Once put into operation, the hedge trimmer is gripped by the handle with a firm grip, and the blades are oriented towards the branches. It is possible to adjust the power and handle the tool with ease (unless it is too heavy), but you must always use the necessary precautions to avoid serious injuries or risk carrying out rough work.
How Does Pole Hedge Trimmers Work?
Once the engine is activated, electric or petrol, the toothed blades start, and the power is adjusted according to the type of plant to be pruned. The teeth perform asymmetrical movements at very high speed, and by easily penetrating the branches, they allow you to make clean cuts quickly.
The hands must firmly grasp the handle, and the movement must always be conducted from the bottom upwards. Constantly keep the blades as far away from the body as possible, taking a correct and firm position on the ground, and take breaks every now and then to recover from the effort. As useful as they are, Pole hedge trimmers can be potentially very dangerous if handled superficially, so be sure to take proper precautions.
Why Could an Extendable Pole Hedge Trimmers Be More Advantageous?
The extendable pole hedge trimmers, better known as telescopic, are characterized by an extendable arm placed in a place of the normal handle, excellent for reaching even the hedges and the highest branches. It is a multifunctional device designed to avoid the use of stairs and supports, avoiding potential accidents and injuries during work.
The practicality of the telescopic hedge trimmer is also due to its tilting blade, which allows perfect pruning without having to get too close to the plant. With an instrument of this type, the branches you previously thought unreachable will no longer be a problem: a telescopic arm allows you to reach heights even greater than two meters.
Which Model of The Hedge Trimmer Is the Most Suitable Depending on The Function to Be Performed?
You will have realized that there are many models of hedge trimmers on the market; avoid taking things lightly and not letting yourself be tempted to buy the first one that happens; instead, you need to reflect on your specific needs: there are many differences in pruning a high or a low hedge, a plant or a bush. Let’s see the models more suitable according to the methods of use:
Large surfaces. For tall and extended hedges, experts recommend using a toothed hedge trimmer on only one side of the blades; in addition to making the machine lighter and easier to handle, the central body (flat and wide) allows you to make decisive cuts on the first shot, with a single pass.
For tall trees and hedges. Telescopic hedge trimmers are definitely the best option for plants that have branches that are difficult to reach; they can also be used as brush cutters to comfortably eliminate the tufts of grass that grow around the base of the trees, perfecting the aesthetic aspect of the garden.
Cordless hedge trimmer. The cordless hedge trimmers are extremely silent, they are mainly used in urban areas and inhabited centers to avoid harassing the neighborhood. They constitute the last technological frontier in the landscape of gardening.
Sharpening the Blades of A Hedge Trimmer
One of the advantages of hedge trimmers is that they do not need much maintenance, especially the electric ones. From time to time, however, it is necessary to sharpen the blades to prevent them from corroding over time and causing irregular cuts, unattractive to look at and above all unhealthy for the life of the plant.
Before proceeding, the blades must be dismantled, and a lubricant and a file must be provided. Don’t panic; it’s a quicker and easier process than you imagine if you take the necessary precautions.
What Are the Most Common Breakdowns of Hedge Trimmers?
Bad maintenance is undoubtedly the main cause of breakdowns, but sometimes they also emerge due to the poor quality of the product. It could happen that the very thick branches break the teeth of the blades; for this reason, it is useful to choose the right hedge trimmer based on the most frequent use modes you have planned.
Sometimes ignition problems can arise: if during use the machine switches off frequently, it is likely that it is a wiring problem, especially in the case of electric models. If you do not know how to solve the problem, do not venture into improvised solutions, but contact only specialized technicians.
Now that you know the hedge trimmers better, we show you the criteria that should not be underestimated to complete a conscious purchase. Remember to choose a quality model (contacting the most established brands is a safety), and reflect on the method and frequency of use, but not before having taken a look at our latest tips.
Let’s start with the most relevant factor that characterizes hedge trimmers: based on their power; in fact, it is possible to prune more or less thick branches. For infrequent use, we recommend a battery model, undoubtedly inexpensive and equipped with at least 400 watts of power, perfect for the home garden.
On the other side, there are the petrol hedge trimmers, powerful and robust; they can sustain long work sessions and are able to easily cut even the thickest branches, but they are decidedly heavier. Suitable for professionals of the trade, these are very noisy and very expensive devices that require frequent maintenance, which is why we do not recommend them to occasional gardeners.
Length of The Blades
Generally, the length of the blades is between 40 and 75 cm. The petrol models are equipped with longer, thicker, and heavier blades thanks to the guarantees offered by the engine power, while they are shorter for the electric and battery-powered hedge trimmers. Being able to rely on thick and wide blades allows you to make clean and more precise cuts; in fact, they are the most suitable for beginners.
As just said, the blades of the electric and battery models are supported by a less powerful motor; for this reason, they cannot exceed certain measures and a certain thickness.
Type of Cut
The type of cut is not a subjective characteristic of the gardener, his trademark, but instead depends on the portion of the hedge to be pruned: for the upper part, the arms must be positioned and slightly waved at right angles, while for the lateral parts it is necessary to make clean and repeated cuts always from the bottom upwards.
Below we delve into two cutting modes, the simple one and the double action one. I recommend, do not take pruning too lightly, and if you want to venture into this world, make sure you acquire the right skills in this regard.
Double action cutting: For this type of cutting, toothed blades are indicated which move asymmetrically: in this way, the vibrations are attenuated, and it is possible to make decisive cuts with a single pass.
Simple cutting: cutting characterized by the mechanical movement of the blade on a fixed axis, often used to cut twigs or small branches.
Space Between the Teeth of The Blades
The space between the blade teeth determines the diameter of the branches that can be pruned. As for petrol models, the teeth are thicker and above all sharpened, and the greater the space between them. In return, those of the cordless hedge trimmer blades are small and united.
Almost all models of hedge trimmers must be handled with both hands (apart from some battery operated). Grasping the handle firmly is fundamental, above all, to avoid unnecessary effort: one hand must be placed on the trigger and the other behind the appropriate protection. You’ll soon have to get used to the strong vibrations and deafening noise unless you opt for an electric or battery-powered hedge trimmer.
This value allows you to calculate the maximum power that can be reached by the electric hedge trimmer. Knowing the wattage is a fundamental first step to understand which is the most appropriate product for the type of hedges to be cut: based on the size and thickness of the branches, you can opt for a more or less powerful model.
In general, electric hedge trimmers have a power of about 600 watts, but clearly, more or less powerful models can also be found based on the size of the product, the type of motor used, and the speed of the cut. The more compact and manageable ones, for example, have a maximum power that is around 500 watts: keep in mind that a product with a lower power will be less versatile, and vice versa.
This term refers to how many turns the blade can make in a given period of time, calculated in minutes or seconds. This figure is strictly connected to the wattage: greater power corresponds to a higher number of revolutions per second and, therefore, greater efficiency on thicker branches or thicker hedges.
This value is also to be considered in relation to your needs: for those who want a more versatile product to cut the branches of different types of plants, we recommend a model that allows from 3000 to 4000 rpm, while those looking for a simpler electric hedge trimmer can also buy slower products.
Keep in mind that this value is reported with different wordings according to the manufacturers: number of no-load revolutions, number of revolutions per second, number of revolutions per minute are three different ways of calling the same value.
Characteristics of The Cut
This factor is really important when choosing an electric hedge trimmer: the sword with blades is, in fact, the main component of these products. The different characteristics of the blades and the sword make the various models on the market more or less suitable for possible uses and affect both the quality and efficiency of the product. In this factor, we will, therefore, observe the length and thickness of the cut, as well as the distance between the blades.
This term refers to the maximum thickness of the branch that the sword is able to cut: this value, too, must be assessed starting from your needs and the type of hedges you have to work on.
The more compact and cheaper models will have a cutting thickness between 15 and 20 mm, while in the most performing models, this value can even reach 40 mm. The allowed cutting thickness is clearly related to the maximum motor power: a larger wattage is needed to cut thicker branches. We can, therefore, say that an electric hedge trimmer that allows a greater cutting thickness is equipped with greater power: this makes it more versatile on the one hand, but on the other, it requires a greater footprint.
Although the hedge trimmer is a fairly simple article, even in this product, it is possible to find integrated functions that allow, on the one hand, different possibilities of use, on the other greater safety.
This element has a decisive impact on both the price and the overall quality: its evaluation is, therefore, less tied to personal needs.
Our advice is to choose a hedge trimmer that offers different safety devices, and that allows you to work on both foliage and branches, in order to optimize spending and have a versatile and efficient product.
Let’s see in detail what the saw function consists of, quite common in electric hedge trimmers, and what safety devices can be found in these appliances.
This term identifies a special type of cut that allows you to work not only on leafy hedges but also on branches and small pieces of wood.
The term function, in this case, may seem incorrect since to activate this cutting mode, it is not necessary to press particular buttons or insert additional pieces; however, this is the word used by the manufacturers to indicate this specificity specific to some models of electric hedge trimmers.
The saw function is allowed by special cutting teeth, which are located on the front of the sword and which allow you to easily prune more or less thick branches depending on the product. Important to keep in mind that even in the most professional hedge trimmers, we always talk about branches that do not exceed 4 cm in thickness and flexible enough: to cut trunks or harder branches, it will, therefore, be necessary to have a chainsaw in any case.
Since the hedge trimmer is an electric device equipped with multiple blades that move at high speed, it is essential that the product you purchase is equipped with the largest number of safety devices, so as to limit the possibility of accidentally injuring yourself while working.
A cut caused by a hedge trimmer could prove to be very dangerous. The most common safety devices are:
Automatic blade lock: this device allows automatic blade lock after a few seconds of inactivity of the hedge trimmer. This is very useful in long work sessions as it allows you to not have to turn off and on the product every time you want to take a break.
Hand protection: this term refers to a plastic component positioned between the machine body and the sword. Its presence allows you to grasp the hedge trimmer more easily without risking inadvertently touching the moving blades and also provides useful protection against bits of branches and foliage.
Although they are not real safety devices, some additional accessories in some cases supplied help to prevent unpleasant accidents: let’s talk about the blade cover, preferably made of steel, the protective mask, the goggles, and work gloves.
The blade guard is usually included in the hedge trimmer package and is a useful accessory both to avoid the deterioration of the sword and to store the hedge trimmer in complete safety.
Glasses, masks, and gloves are often sold separately: if you are a DIY lover, you probably already have these accessories; otherwise we advise you to buy them since their use is almost essential.
Convenience of Use
The last factor to consider when choosing an electric hedge trimmer concerns the practicality of the use of the product: this aspect is fundamental since this tool must be kept on the shoulder for a long time.
It is, therefore, necessary to look for a hedge trimmer that is easy and comfortable to use, a factor to be related to the power and the overall quality of the product.
In this short article, we have deepened one of the products currently most in demand for gardening: the hedge trimmer. It is an extremely useful tool to give your home plants the care they deserve, thanks to the effective pruning that can guarantee the best models. We have listed them just because they can be an inspiration for your next purchase.
Among the various aspects to be evaluated, remember to consider the type of blade, its length, and thickness. Also, think about how you plan to use it, and don’t focus on petrol models if you use them sporadically. It is also important to carry out periodic maintenance to prevent corrosion from taking over, so don’t forget about it.