To find the right log splitter, you need to understand mainly if you need a horizontal or vertical model, the maximum cutting length and diameter, the power and the thrust force of the engine.
We talk about these and other features in our buying guide, take a look not to choose the wrong model. Further and more practical help can be found below, in the ranking of the products that impressed us most.
In this guide, we deal with electric log splitters, briefly describing their main features and performance. If you don’t know which one to choose, take a look and also consult the review of the most popular models on the market. Here we will be listing the top 13 best log splitters.
- Powerful 15A motor provides over 13,000 pounds of log cracking pressure
- Use the log splitter with or without the 34-inch stand depending on user preferences
- Included pull handle and 5.5-inch never-flat wheels make for easy transportation between jobs
- Electric power means no gasoline, no carbon monoxide emissions, and limited maintenance
- Split logs up to 10 inches in diameter and 20.5 inches in length
- Powerful 2 HP electric motor
- 7 tons of splitting force
- Dimensions: 13.5" W x 20" H x 39.5" D | Weight: 121 lb
- Automatic ram return
- Convenient one-Handed operation
- Powerful: hydraulic RAM Builds up to 10 Tons of driving force
- Large capacity: splits logs up to 18 in. Long x 8 in. Wide
- Efficient: RAM return spring for quick resets
- Durable: Steel frame construction with wheels for easy portability
- Easy to use: No gas, oil or cords.Wheel Size:2.48 inch
- Heavy duty 1.75 HP, 15 amp induction motor delivers maximum performance for the most rugged condition
- Effortlessly does big splitting jobs with a 18-second cycle time
- Integrated stroke limiter can adjust to a shorter stroke for smaller logs
- 7" wheels and configuration to vertical position provides maneuverability and easy storage
- Powerful 1.75 HP, 15 Amp induction motor delivers 6-Ton maximum performance for the most rugged condition
- Effortlessly does big splitting jobs with a 20-second cycle time
- Split logs up to 21" In length; up to 10" In diameter
- Can be used on the ground or on the bench, outside and inside as there is no fumes
- Power smart is committed to building tools that are dependable for years. Our two years warranties are consistent with our commitment and dedication to quality.Our customer-centric service team will respond any questions within 24 hours.
- Motor: 4HP, 2900 Watts - no running out of gas and starts every time
- New patented hydraulic system increases torque by 45%
- Quiet, no fumes and no air compressor needed
- An be used on the ground or on the bench, outside and inside as there is no fumes!
- Very easy to use. No experience necessary
- Champion’s 7-ton log splitter features an integrated log cradle and low profile for easy loading.
- The 80cc engine easily powers through logs up to 19 inches in length and 50 lb. in weight.
- The 20-second cycle time and auto-return valve reduce work time, while the skewed wedge improves efficiency.
- Champion Support - 2 year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support
- Hydraulic Oil Type-AW-32, Universal Hydraulic Oil, Automatic Transmission Fluid
- Slips on and off easily
- Made of hardened steel.Easy to "drop on" and "lift off"
- Compatible with BOSS ES5T20, ED7T15, ES7T20, ED8T20 log splitters
- No assembly required
- Durable 1.8 HP Electric motor
- One handed operation, Automatic ram return.
- Lightweight and portable, can fit in the truck of most cars
- 2 year residential, 180 day commercial warranty
- Applications - Go Karts, Pressure Washers, Trailer Mounted - Mobile Carwashes, Log Splitters, RotoTillers - Cultivators, Water/Trash Transfer Pump
- Provides industrial-grade strength to get the job done
- Durable design runs quietly and provides smooth operation
- The operating fuel is standard 87 Octane or better Gasoline
- A low oil shutoff functionality turns the engine off to prevent serious damage or failure; Starting System: Electric Start/Recoil
- POWER AND VERSATILITY: Our 1500 watt 15 amp Motor and 5-ton rated hydraulic system will easily split logs up to 10” diameter and 20” in length. This incredibly powerful and versatile machine will making your wood splitting tasks much more enjoyable and much less time-consuming.
- DEPENDABLE COMPONENTS: Precision pump gears and copper motor windings ensure a constant splitting force so you can confidently get through your wood pile with sustained power.
- PORTABLE DESIGN: The lightweight design of this unit makes it easily transportable from site to site. Its sturdy transport wheels allow for smooth maneuvering while the rubber coated legs double as transport handles allowing you to roll the unit without strain or difficulty.
- CONVENIENT OPERATION: This electric log splitter is gas free, exhaust free and simple to run. No need to pull start an engine or deal with the noise and fumes of a gas splitter. All that is required is a standard 120V outlet. Plug in the unit and you are ready to split.
- : Like all Earthquake powered equipment, the Quick-split comes with our performance backed by a US-based customer support staff and a 5-year.
- This powerful electric log splitter can provide 16500lbs splitting force
- 15-second work cycle greatly improves work efficiency
- Split logs up to 22" In length; up to 15.7" In diameter
- High temperature quenching alloy knife is fast assembled and fixed
- Household power supply, easy to operate with one or both hands
- Powerful 5-ton maximum splitting force
- Smooth, powerful 15 Amp, 120V, 1 3/4 HP electric motor provides dependable service
- Built-in log cradle catches each piece as it is split, eliminating unnecessary stooping and bending to gather split wood
- 5 3/4in. tires add portability
- Short 14-sec. cylinder cycle time
Everything You Need to Know About Best Electric Log Splitters
Which log splitter to choose among the many on the market? A first consideration that we invite you to make is to establish not so much the best brand, as the type of instrument most suitable for what you need to do.
The log splitters – as you will better see in the review of the various models we do below – are quite different from each other. Here we leave out the professional ones with an internal combustion engine for large logs, and we focus on those for domestic use.
The simplest models are manual and non-electric ones, and they use man’s action to split the trunk, even if the force exerted is considerably less than that needed when using the hatchet. They are light log splitters that can be easily transported, suitable for those who are still, to some extent, tied to a more traditional job.
Then there are the models that work with the base that rises thanks to the pressure of an incompressible liquid operated by a pedal.
Also, in this case, therefore, some physical effort must be exercised, especially for the hardest trunks. These models can be used anywhere, even in the woods, away from power outlets.
Lastly, the less tiring log splitters are the electric ones – they can be horizontal or vertical – which are also preferred by consumers. All you need to do is insert the log between the base and the wedge and press a button. The whole machine takes care of the rest.
It could take less than a day of work and a minimum effort to prepare all the wood for an entire winter.
The price of some log splitters may be higher than the budget budgeted, but the services offered must also be considered. If you are dealing with enormous logs that have a considerable diameter and height, you will have to choose a model that will allow you to manage them.
Otherwise, yours will prove to be a wrong purchase. If, on the other hand, you already know that your trusted supplier will deliver not too bulky and always the same size logs, you can opt for an essential log splitter that does not, for example, provide the possibility of adjusting the height. You will save a fair amount.
If you want to make as little effort as possible and finish the job as soon as possible, check the pushing power expressed in tons. An underpowered machine will require superior effort and time for very seasoned and hard strains.
Finally, consider that the horizontal models force you to work on your knees unless you find a base raised from the ground sufficiently resistant where you can place them. If not, you may prefer vertical ones.
Compare prices, performances and also try to understand if the model you have seen is built with robust and quality materials. Since it is a machine subjected to considerable and prolonged stresses, it must be sturdy and durable over time.
In the same way, it is good that the base on which the trunk rests is sufficiently large to guarantee greater stability, and that the wedge is large and well-sharpened to be able to split the stump more effectively and in less time.
Dimensions may also be of some importance in your choice. If you don’t have a lot of space available, models that are too bulky may not be for you.
The log splitter is essential for those who work in the woods, but in that case, they can hardly use electricity. At home, however, an extension can be enough to position the machine where it is best.
It is the ideal device for those who want to split tens of quintals of logs in a short time, even in a single day, and with an infinitely less effort than necessary with an axe.
It is, therefore, a product recommended for those who do not want to struggle and for those who have a lot of wood to split for their fireplace. What are the technical parameters to be looked at before identifying the best model or the best brand for your needs?
In the meantime, we should know which types of logs are purchased and, based on these, identify the right machine in terms of the maximum allowed length and, above all, the thickness of the record: it is one thing to be able to split logs of 20 cm, another is whether the diameter is 50 cm.
Then you have to look at the engine power, expressed in watts, kilowatts or horsepower (HP) and the thrust force, expressed in tons: the electric models, mostly, range from 1,500 to over 3,500 watts and have a thrust force of 5-10 tons. The most powerful, and expensive, log splitters ensure the best performance with all types of wood, splitting even the toughest ones without problems.
Horizontal or Vertical
Another reference parameter is the design, certainly not for an aesthetic but functional reason: here the choice is between horizontal or vertical models.
The former is smaller, very light and have a much lower price than the others. The operation is identical in both cases because you need to insert the log and press a button. They have a single-phase motor that works at 220 volts. Therefore they can be used with the standard domestic meter.
The vertical models, however, are more comfortable because they do not force you to work folded and are therefore more comfortable; they can be single-phase or three-phase with 380-volt power supply, more suitable for professional use. The height of the log to be cut, of course, is higher and the engine power and the thrust force are also higher.
Compare prices and performances of the various models and try to understand how to use them, especially if you are not an expert.
In any case, with a little practice, these machines give a big hand at home. Often they come already assembled, so remove them from the box, read the instructions and get started.
Also pay attention to the processing time of the single log (some models have two blades and cut it from both ends, simultaneously), to the material used for the frame, to the possibility of adjusting the height of the cut and also to the noise produced.