Everyone knows roughly what a hair dryer is, which is the most popular appliance for drying hair. Few, however, are aware of its operation, of the main features that distinguish it. Even fewer people, then, take an appropriate approach when it comes to deciding which model to buy. In general, you are guided by the price, or at most, take a look at the power that the small appliance is capable of expressing. In this article, after a brief description of the operation of this appliance, we will analyze the criteria that should be taken into consideration when planning to purchase a hairdryer.
The mechanism by which the hairdryer produces hot air is all in all simple. The protagonist, in this sense, is the fan, generally placed at the rear wall of the appliance. The fan sucks in the air from the outside and pushes it towards an electrical resistance. Here the air is heated and finally expelled through the concentrator (the classic spout present in all hair dryers).
A thermostat generally protects hair dryers. The purpose of this device is to prevent the jet from acquiring too high a temperature, damaging the hair, or even causing burns. This limit corresponds to about 90 degrees centigrade.
If you are thinking of changing your old hairdryer to choose a more effective model, here is a list of best hair dryers to choose the professional hairdryer that best suits your needs and those of your hair.
- The Conair Cord Keeper Hair Dryer allows for easy storage with the press of a button; line cord retracts into handle of hair dryer
- Ionic Technology controls frizz for smooth, shiny hair – and – Tourmaline Ceramic Technology provide uniform heat for fast drying and less damage
- 3 Heat / 2 Speed settings for all hair types. 5-foot power cord
- Cool Shot button locks style in place. Diffuser attachment for curly or wavy styles
- Includes: Concentrator for focused airflow when drying and straight styles
- The BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Hair Dryer features 2000-watt power & lightweight ergonomic handling for less hand fatigue. Nano titanium ionic technology means hair dries faster, with less frizz.
- This lightweight dryer uses ionic technology to create gentle even heat. Hair dries faster with less frizz.
- Great for all hair types including thick & coarse hair, this blow dryer helps reveal shiny, healthy-looking hair.
- 2000 Watt for faster drying
- NANO Titanium with integrated Ion generator
- 【Upgraded Super Wind Force】：1800W professional ion hair dryer, with high speed and large torque, delivers stronger wind for drying in less time compared with others, allows you to dry your hair quickly while reducing loss. It features 2 speeds (high/low) and 3 heat settings (hot/cold/warm).
- 【Negative Ionic &Constant temperature function】Our hair blow dryer's negative ion technology, releases millions of negative ions to make hair smooth and lock in moisture,protect hair from heat damage and reduce frizz. temperature constant function help quickly drys the hair while preventing the heat from damaging the hair, Hoxida hair dryer can quickly dry hair while also giving your hair the best care.
- 【 2 Concentrator & 1 Diffuser】This portable blow dryer is equiped with 2 Concentrator and1 Diffuser ) to precisely meet the needs of all hairstyles: curly, straight, thin or thick. smoothing nozzle----dry the hair while smoothing hair; styling nozzle----control the wind direction for easy styling; diffused tuyere----smoothing hair and make the curls more visible.
- 【 Smart Design &Portable】with double safety detachable filter, easy to clean, and you don't need worry your hair will get sucked into the blow dryer easily; Lightweight Hair dryer, around 410g/0.9lb, size is 5.7x5.3x2.9 inches, with a suspension ring of the small hair dryer, you could easily hang on the wall or bracket, which is ideals for family,travel, salon.
- 【What You Get】: 1* Hoxida hair dryer, 3* styling accessories, 1* usage guide and our 18-month worry-free warranty and friendly customer service.
- 3x more pet hair repelling power vs. Bounce dryer sheets
- Free of perfumes
- Reduces wrinkles and static, adds softness
- Lint roll less
- 2x the size of most dryer sheets
- Powerful drying and styling with the Conair 1875 Watt Mid-Size Hair Dryer
- 2 heat / speed settings for all hair types
- Ergonomic handle for comfortable, easy handling
- 5 foot power cord
- PROFESSIONAL SALON DRYING AT HOME: 1875 watts of even air flow distribution, with 2 heat/speed settings, dries hair quickly, gently and evenly with uniform heat
- EXTRA LARGE HOOD: The Conair Pro Style Bonnet Hair Dryer features an extra-large hood with adjustable height for comfort and convenience. Perfect for roller sets and deep conditioning
- FOLDS NEATLY AND COMPACT: For easy storage, this bonnet hair dryer packs up easily and even contains a carrying handle for easy portability
- LEADER IN HAIR DRYERS: From traditional bonnets to hi-tech dryers equipped with cutting-edge technology, Conair has a great selection of hair dryers for the whole family
- CONAIR HAIR CARE: Since 1959, we have made innovative small appliances, hair styling tools, & more. Our hair care line includes high-quality hair dryers, brushes, styling tools, & hair accessories
- The Conair 1875 Watt 3-in-1 Styling Hair Dryer has 3 Attachments: 1 Thermal bristle brush attachment for volume and waves, 1 Styling comb for straight styling and 1 Detangling comb
- Ionic Technology for shiny-looking hair and less frizz
- 2 heat/speed settings; Cool shot to lock style in place
- Dual voltage for worldwide travel
- Hinged filter prevents lint buildup for easy maintenance
- The Conair Cord-Keeper Hair Dryer with Folding Handle – Model 289 - has a retractable cord for easy storage, plus a folding handle for compact storage
- Ionic Conditioning for smooth, shiny-looking hair and less frizz
- Tourmaline Ceramic Technology produces infrared heat which gently dries hair quickly while reducing heat damage
- 2 heat/speed settings for custom air flow and precision styling; Cool Shot locks style in place
- Dual Voltage - perfect for worldwide travel
- Wattage of this appliance may vary depending on the location of use
- Compact design with folding handle great for travel or your gym bag, also includes Worldwide dual voltage
- IONIC TECHNOLOGY and 3X ceramic coating to reduce frizz and damage
- 3 Heat/2 speed settings and cool shot button for maximum styling control
- Smoothing concentrator attachment included
- Direct ionic technology - frizz protection and faster drying
- 1875 watts - Powerful airflow
- Ceramic emits far-infrared heat to seal the cuticle
- 6 heat/ speed options
- Dry your hair like a pro with ion choice for added shine: ions on for sleek, smooth and shiny hair; ions off for fullness, curls and added volume
- Powerful professional AC motor dries hair up to 50 percent faster
- Ceramic technology, uniform heat for fast & Gentle drying
- 3 heat/2 speed settings for different hair types
- Diffuser and concentrator attachments included
- 【3-IN-1 hair care styling tool】 3-in-1 hot air comb, which can be dried and styled, easily adds curl to the hair, replaces hair dryers, brushes, curlers and straighteners, and is for family and friends Ideal gift.
- 【Ergonomic sesign】 The handle is ergonomically designed to ensure maximum comfort and ease of use. The brush adopts the design of nylon needle and tufted mane，The oval brush can prevent hair from tangling, help hair styling, make hair shiny and smooth, and reduce static electricity.
- 【3 intensity settings】 The hot air comb has three temperature settings and two speed settings, which can better create a hairstyle that suits you.
- 【Safe and reliable】 Overheat resistance is installed. When the temperature reaches the specified temperature, the overheat protection function will automatically stop working to ensure the safety of you and your family.
- 【Attention Please】If you are not satisfied with our hot air brush, we will support full refund or replacement. If you have any question, please feel free to leave a message to us. We will reply within 24 hours.
- Double ceramic technology: Infrared heat provides uniform heat for fast hair drying and less hair damage
- Conditioning ions: Natural ion output helps to fight frizz and brings out your hair’s natural shine
- Rocker switches: 3 heat/ 2 speed blow dryer settings provide custom settings for different hair types; Cool shot button to lock hair styles in place
- Removable filter prevents lint buildup, extending the hair dryer’s motor life
- Includes: Concentrator included for focused airflow to make hair smooth and sleek
- Dry your hair like a pro with the Infiniti Pro by Conair 1875 Watt Salon Performance AC Motor Hair Dryer. With a professional AC Motor, dry your hair 50% faster with up to 3X longer dryer life
- Ionic technology for smooth, shiny-looking hair and up to 75% less frizz - and - Ceramic Technology provides uniform heat for fast drying and less damage
- 3 Heat / 2 speed settings for custom heat and air flow
- True Cold Shot Button locks in curls, waves, and style
- Includes: Diffuser for textured styles - and - Concentrator for smooth styles ; 6-foot line power cord
Factors to Keep in Mind When Choosing a Hair Dryer
The professional hairdryer is not just a hairdresser’s stuff: now everyone can have a professional hair dryer at home that allows you to look like you are coming out of a beauty salon every day. Whether you have straight, curly, frizzy or fine hair, here is a complete guide for choosing the most suitable professional hair dryer for you.
The hair dryer is a household appliance that everyone has at home, because it allows you to dry hair quickly and easily, especially in the winter months. It may seem a trivial tool, but it is not: the hairdryer is the main cause of well-being or malaise of our hair, for this reason it is important to carefully choose the right model.
Types of Hair Dryers
As far as the shape and dynamics of use are concerned, home-use hair dryers look a bit alike. The only relevant criterion, which justifies a subdivision into types, lies in the engine. Here are the types of “motor” hair dryers.
Hair Dryer with DC Motor
It is the most common type. The DC motor is powered by direct current. It is relatively small, therefore suitable for use in household hair dryers. It has an average power and a duration of about 1,200 hours.
Hair Dryer with AC Motor
It is the most common type, but only for what concerns professional hair dryers. It expresses a very high power, also because it is powered by alternating current. It lasts approximately 2,000 hours. AC motor hair dryers cost a lot.
Hair Dryer with EC Motor
It is the most modern type. It can be called a “digital” engine, as its mechanisms are activated electronically. It has a medium-high power but an exceptional duration: up to 10,000 hours. They are still extremely rare for household hair dryers. Also because, for now, they are very expensive.
How to Choose the Hairdryer
At first glance, being an extremely common appliance (there is at least one in all homes), choosing a hairdryer would seem a very simple activity within everyone’s reach. And instead, we appreciate a huge amount of elements to be taken into consideration, which make the difference between a quality appliance and an appliance that, although apparently excellent, is responsible for performance below expectations.
Below, an in-depth analysis of the criteria to be analyzed when you intend to buy a good hair dryer, or at least able to meet your needs.
Power is, in relation to hair dryers, an extremely heterogeneous parameter. On the market, there are models with a power of 700 W and models with a power of 2000 W. The most powerful models, however, reach but hardly exceed 2400 W.
Is Power Synonymous with Quality?
It is obvious, in fact, that a powerful hairdryer is able to dry the hair in less time than a less powerful hairdryer. However, it would be a mistake to seek maximum power. Also, because the more powerful a hairdryer, the higher its price.
So how do you regulate yourself? In fact, it’s all very simple. You simply have to understand if you “need” a very powerful hairdryer or, in the light of your habits and even the characteristics of your hair, you can settle for a medium power hairdryer.
In particular, if you have very thick and long hair, or you have a habit of styling it often, you should opt for the more powerful models, with a power greater than 1400 W.
If, on the other hand, you have short hair, and all you want is to dry your hair so that you don’t get sick, then you can opt for the less powerful models, even below 1400 W.
A bit like hair straighteners and curling irons, even the hair dryer can theoretically damage hair. On the other hand, also, in this case, there is the use of heat to obtain a specific effect (in this case, drying). Since thermal stress can have significant consequences, some hair dryers are equipped with protective devices, i.e., elements whose purpose is to guarantee the health of the hair. The presence or absence of these devices can represent a determining criterion in choosing the most suitable instrument for your needs.
This term indicates a device that emits ions or particles with a negative charge. They favor the dissolution of the water particles, thus decreasing the drying time. At the same time, however, they allow the hair to retain a certain degree of humidity. The result is a softer and more hydrated hair.
Ceramic and Tourmaline Grid
In all hair dryers, the heat passes through a grill before reaching the concentrator. This may occasionally be ceramic or tourmaline coated. This is not a small detail: both ceramic and tourmaline, by virtue of their “technical” characteristics, favor a homogeneous distribution of heat over the entire impact surface of the hot air jet. In this way, the risk of sunburn is reduced to zero.
Coating in Specific Materials
In the more expensive models, a grid is installed made of very particular materials, capable of exercising the most varied benefits. The reference is to keratin, silk proteins, pearl. Materials that, although appearing as “chiccherie,” positively impact on the drying mechanism, bringing benefits to the hair.
All hair dryers have at least a couple of features. Only the less expensive and powerful (or simply old) models provide for linear use, without any possibility of customization.
This is the function present in the vast majority of appliances. Typically there are two or three levels available. When you place the hairdryer on a high level, the airflow is faster; therefore, the drying process is consumed in a shorter time.
Most of the hair dryers on the market also emit a flow of cold air. Simply, the resistance is deactivated. A function, this, particularly appreciated in summer.
The best performing models allow you to select the temperature, which, however, can never exceed 90 degrees. Typically, the temperature levels are three or four.
In general, they are aimed at making the appliance even easier to use. An increasingly popular function is automatic temperature regulation (which should not be confused with the fixed temperature of most hair dryers). Much appreciated is also the presence of an LCD screen, which makes the selection and monitoring of the settings clearer and more immediate.
Ease of Use
This category includes all those elements that make the user experience somewhat easier. They concern some fundamental parameters.
Dimensions and Weight
The hair dryer should be held in your hand for a certain period of time, so make sure that it is not excessively bulky and does not weigh excessively.
It is good that the cable is long, so that you can use the hairdryer comfortably seated and in any case at a safe distance from the electrical outlet, and can be articulated 360 degrees. This last feature, in particular, allows you to move the appliance in complete freedom, without limitations deriving from the presence of wire.
It is recommended to choose a hair dryer with an attachment ring. This simple element, in fact, allows you to hang the hairdryer on the wall, reducing its size.
Of course, accessories are not the first criterion for choosing a hairdryer, but they nevertheless contribute to defining the decision-making process and occasionally represent added value.
The reference is in particular to the supply of multiple air diffusers, i.e, spouts that direct and modify the airflow. There are several types, some of which are suitable for promoting specific creases or the creation of curls and blur. Appreciable is also the possible presence of the travel case, especially in the event that you have the habit (or need) to travel often.
Obviously, also (and above all) the price is a parameter to be taken into consideration. Not that it is easy: prices are extremely variable, and the temptation to buy the product that costs less is strong, even if it risks proving bankruptcy. Therefore, the advice is to analyze the price in the light of the performance and to analyze the performance in the light of your needs. Only in this way, you will be able to buy a hair dryer suitable for your needs, without spending excessive amounts.