If you have already seen the so-called “snowflakes” on your clothes, you know that dandruff can be annoying and embarrassing. The good news is that by combining the use of a dandruff shampoo with a proper washing technique, you can reduce this problem or even eliminate it.
Dandruff is a problem that everyone knows. The truth is that it is a very common disease, so it shouldn’t cause shame or inhibition. There are more or less severe cases, but fortunately, all of them are treatable.
Here we had listed out the best dandruff shampoos you can choose which one suits your hair.
- Controls scalp fungus and dandruff
- Clinically proven to relieve flaking, scaling and itching
- Contains ketoconazole, an effective anti-dandruff ingredient
- Gentle, fresh-scented formula for all hair types
- Use just twice a week for dandruff relief
- Anti-Dandruff Shampoo: Formulated with Pyrithione Zinc, this shampoo controls flaky scalp and dandruff by balancing and calming...
- Benefits: Inspired by the anti-bacterial and calming properties of the mint leaf to help sooth irritated and dry flaky scalp...
- Additional Benefits: Eliminates and controls dandruff for visible anti-dandruff results, and scalp that is free of flaking,...
- Suggested Use: Apply to wet hair and gently lather, massage into the scalp and hair. Rinse thoroughly and repeat, allowing shampoo...
- Scalp Sync Collection: Scalp Sync professional haircare system of shampoo and conditioner provide dandruff control to repair the...
- 16-fluid ounce bottle of Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic and Anti-Dandruff Shampoo to get long lasting relief from itching and...
- Original therapeutic formula helps control scalp itching and flaking caused by chronic scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis and...
- Contains coal tar extract, which scientific tests have proved continues to work for hours after the shampoo is rinsed off
- From a dermatologist recommended brand, this dandruff treatment shampoo helps maintain a healthy scalp and leaves hair clean and...
- Designed for daily use. For best results, use at least twice a week or as directed by a doctor. Massage shampoo into your scalp,...
- Manual operation. Waterproof. Perfect for various hairstyles from thick to thin, short or long, and no matter wet or dry, even to...
- Taking shower with this soft shampoo brush makes your hair and scalp cleaner than before. A soft and high-quality hair brush...
- Massaging your scalp in the shower to ease itchiness and soothe scalp stress. Getting a relaxing massage at home and every time...
- Ergonomic design perfectly fits in your palm and is easy to hold. Lightweight and stores easily
- Excellent shampoo brush is suitable for who has long and manicured nails, you won't damage your manicure during washing hair...
- You will receive one 118 fluid ounce bottle of Shampoo and one 94 fluid ounce tube of Conditioner
- Head & Shoulders Smooth & Silky Shampoo and Conditioner control frizz for up to 24 hours
- From the #1 dermatologist recommended brand
- Smooth & Silky Shampoo and Conditioner have the vibrant scent of fresh fruit and elegant florals
- pH BALANCED: pH balanced to be gentle enough for everyday use
- Medicated for sensitive skin: Our 2% zinc pyrithione anti-dandruff shampoo is free of proteins, sulfates and gluten
- Mild formula: This zinc shampoo is formulated with maximum over-the-counter strength for the control and reduction of the symptoms...
- Free of common chemical irritants: Our products are free of dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, parabens and formaldehyde...
- Dermatologist tested: Vanicream products are formulated with ingredients dermatologists consider desirable and not irritating or...
- Directions: Shake before use, then wet hair and gently massage shampoo into scalp; leave lather on scalp for several minutes, then...
- DERMACARE ANTI DANDRUFF SHAMPOO: Dove Dermacare Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo cleanses to leave hair flake free* *no visible flakes...
- SHAMPOO FOR ITCHY SCALP: Dove Dermacare Anti-Dandruff Shampoo works as a dry scalp treatment to hydrate and sooth a dry and itchy...
- HAIR CARE FOR SCALP RELIEF: This scalp shampoo cleanses and nourishes to reduce scalp redness and relief itchiness
- FRAGRANT DANDRUFF TREATMENT: This anti-dandruff shampoo delivers the fragrant and indulgent aroma of coconut and shea butter
- PH BALANCED HAIR PRODUCTS: Dove Dermacare Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo has a pH balanced dry scalp shampoo formula
- New Packaging, same clinically proven shampoo: dandruff stays off Your head & Shoulders with this dandruff treatment shampoo that...
- Ketoconazole: this dandruff relief shampoo is made with Ketoconazole 1%, an effective ingredient that binds to your hair's natural...
- Itchy scalp: dandruff is caused when scalp-cells regenerate at an accelerated rate faster than scalps can handle. With hormones,...
- Dandruff treatment: clinically proven Nizoral helps maintain a healthy scalp with the anti-dandruff shampoo that kills dandruff &...
- SELF-CARE SOLUTIONS: At Kramer Laboratories we focus on consumer needs to help provide innovative solutions to everyday healthcare...
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Clinically proven to control flaking, scaling and itching from dandruff. Nizoral is so powerful it can even...
- CONTROLS SCALP FUNGUS: Nizoral is different because it doesn’t just address the symptoms, it gets right to the root of dandruff...
- KETOCONAZOLE 1%: The only over the counter dandruff shampoo with Ketoconazole 1%, a clinically proven, powerful dandruff fighting...
- 10X MORE EFFECTIVE at fighting scalp fungus: The active ingredient in Nizoral is 10X more effective at killing scalp fungus, the...
- GENTLE ON HAIR: Gentle enough to use on color treated, chemically processed, or gray hair. Clean fresh scent and you only have to...
- CONTAINS: One (1) 11-oz. bottle of Selsun Blue Itchy Dry Scalp Anti-dandruff Shampoo
- NOURISHES HAIR: Selsun Blue Dry Scalp Shampoo helps control dandruff and nourish hair
- EXTRA-HYDRATING FORMULA: This anti-dandruff shampoo for itchy scalp conditions and moisturizes
- FOR DAILY USE: Daily care and dandruff control with a clean, fresh scent
- RELIEVES DANDRUFF SYMPTOMS: Selsun Blue anti-dandruff shampoo helps prevent and eliminate itchy scalp and visible flakes*
Everything You Need to Know About Dandruff Shampoos
Dandruff is a problem that grips many people: it is essential to cleanse the scalp with a product that helps to restore its balance. Take a look at our guide, which enables you to understand which is the best brand for your problem. In the lower ranking, you will find several items among which to select the one with the most valid price.
Before going to examine which dandruff shampoo is best for you, you need to find out what causes this problem. This aspect is crucial to determine if it is appropriate to choose one of the many products offered on the market or if it is necessary to contact the pharmacist.
If a fungus causes your dandruff, it will be important to select a specific item that will kill it and prevent it from flaking the skin. Pityrosporum or Malassezia are two of the causes that often cause this problem and need specific treatment to be eradicated.
Dermatitis (seborrheic and contact) also requires special attention, such as psoriasis, a hereditary disease that can also affect other areas of the skin. The situation is different for skin irritated by the use of aggressive shampoos, which eliminate the lipid layer and cause the skin to flake off.
In these cases, it will be enough to select a specific product that will normalize the situation very soon.
Oily or Dry?
Another aspect to consider is undoubtedly the type of dandruff from which you are affected. The fatty one is due to an excessive production of sebum, which imprisons the flakes and causes an annoying itching, with the consequence of scratching and making the situation worse.
A consequence is also hair loss, as the fat tends to close the pores, causing the hair to thin out. Those who have the opposite problem that is a poorly hydrated epidermis will have dry dandruff, which occurs especially during the winter.
For this reason, it is good to check which of the two is affected before choosing a suitable shampoo. Thanks to the offers on the web, by comparing the prices, it is possible to identify what can satisfy the head but also the pockets.
Components and Format
The composition of the shampoo to be selected must include elements that respect the scalp. Those who are more sensitive can opt for natural ones, such as sage and nettle extract, which have great anti-inflammatory properties.
Ginger and grapefruit, on the other hand, are useful in eliminating the itching, which does nothing but leads to scratching, intensifying the problem. Alongside these, it is useful to find salicylic acid, which has the function of eliminating the layer of dead cells on the leather or zinc pyrithione, very active in the elimination of fungi.
Ketoconazole, found in some famous brands sold in pharmacies, and selenium sulfide, which has the side effect of changing the hair color, are also very widespread. If you have too many doubts about which to choose, consult the reviews of other users who have tried them before you.
How to Use a Dandruff Shampoo
Dandruff is a very common problem (one-third of the adult population suffers) caused by exfoliation of the scalp.
This may depend, for example, on the action of the mushroom Pityrospum, which feeds on sebum, on a diet rich in fats and low in zinc, on the changes of season and the related physiological stress and the irritation of the scalp generated by the use of very aggressive detergents.
The symptom of the disorder, unfortunately visible, is the scaling of the scalp in small white scales that, due to the weight, fall on the shoulders of our clothes.
What to Do in Case of Dandruff?
Although this discomfort tends to become chronic, you can try to identify the cause by introducing new foods in your diet (including shellfish, sesame, walnuts, and peas) rich in zinc, avoiding directing the jet of very hot hairdryer air directly to the scalp and using a specific shampoo for dandruff. Here are some useful tips for choosing the right shampoo.
Characteristics of Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
In the case of dandruff, the scalp is irritated and stressed. The anti-dandruff shampoo to choose must have a washing power, to remove the scales in-depth, while always maintaining a gentle action on the scalp.
It is important that the product does not act aggressively and that it helps to restore the physiological pH of the skin. Check that in the INCI (table of ingredients on the back of the bottle), there are, especially among the first positions.
Parabens, SLS and allergens because the first penetrate deeply into the skin, reaching the subcutaneous layers and interfering with the hormonal system ( especially estrogen); the SLS attacks the scalp, removing the sebum layer that protects it; and finally, also avoid allergens because they increase sensitivity and irritation on an already stressed scalp.
What Are the Main Anti-Dandruff Ingredients?
A targeted and effective anti-dandruff shampoo should contain one or more of the following ingredients: zinc pyrithione, with antifungal and antibacterial properties; selenium sulfide.
This helps to slow down cell turnover and salicylic acid, which boasts keratolytic properties, which help to remove sebum and white scales.
Nature also comes to meet you, with its organic ingredients that can be mixed, in small doses, in neutral shampoo: let’s talk about the extract of lavender, nettle and mallow, ceramides, and blackberry and peach vinegar.
They are natural ingredients that have always been used in phytotherapy for their anti-inflammatory, emollient, and anti-redness properties and for the protective layer they create on the scalp and hair so that they do not lose the precious liquids.
Which, in the case of dandruff, is reduced and causes the flaking. Before using natural ingredients on the scalp, we recommend that you test their compatibility on a small part of your body, making sure that any allergic reactions do not occur.
If even an anti-dandruff shampoo rich in active principles proves to be ineffective, we suggest you go to a specialist, who will be able to trace the cause of scalp peeling and establish a suitable therapy.
How Does Dandruff Shampoo Work?
If the problem of dandruff grips your scalp, there is a specific shampoo that can help you fight it. This consists of a washing base, rich in surfactants and other substances capable of counteracting flaking.
The product must guarantee a valid cleansing action without attacking the skin, which otherwise could react, producing more dandruff. There are two types, flat and dry, both caused by a microorganism, a yeast, which therefore also requires an antifungal action.
In essence, the shampoo must gently remove the scales, act against fungi and bacteria, and reduce cell turnover, which must take place more slowly, so as not to create new dandruff.
How to Create a Dandruff Shampoo at Home?
Nature is always on our side and provides all the ingredients to create a dandruff shampoo yourself. You can use, for example, nettle, to soak in boiling water and to create an infusion to be put on the scalp.
Vinegar, rosemary, and mint can be put together to macerate to create a compound to be passed on the skin to clean it. Egg also has good properties: a mixture of yolks and egg whites, whipped separately, can counteract the birth of dandruff and its proliferation.
If you do not have time to create your shampoo, you can use aloe vera gel to use as a compress, as it eliminates not only dandruff but also the annoying itching that derives from it.
What Does Inci Mean?
INCI is an acronym that stands for International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients, for which it indicates the list of ingredients present in a cosmetic product. Examining it is important to understand what we are going to put on the face or skin in general.
As for that of the shampoo, it is good to check that it does not contain ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium Laureth sulfate, or sodium lauryl sulfate: in fact, these are the most harmful surfactants in circulation.
Also, avoid parabens, formaldehyde, dimethicone, and the presence of perfumes, which, above all in the case of skin with dandruff, will only exacerbate the problem.
Is It Normal to Notice a Higher Production of Dandruff at The Beginning of The Treatment?
A higher production of dandruff, in case you have decided to cure the problem with a specific shampoo, is not justified if you use the right product. If the scales increase, it means that the detergent used is too aggressive and that, therefore, the skin dries excessively.
Your skin is telling you that anti-dandruff shampoo is not the right one: talk to your dermatologist for specific advice.
Can Dandruff Shampoo Be Used Every Day?
If what you have available is a specific shampoo for the problem, certainly using it frequently helps to counteract the phenomenon taking place.
An exception should be made, however, for products that contain medicinal substances, such as an antifungal or antifungal component, which could cause adverse effects. In this case, consult your dermatologist and read the package leaflet included in the package.