If you have the hobby of bringing back to light small relics of the past, the time has come to equip yourself with this versatile tool and go on a search. Coins, jewels, objects of any value are hidden in the most unexpected places: a metal detector will help you to reveal them.
It certainly cannot be said that it is a conventional pastime. But if you have the right spirit and you like to walk through the countryside, woods and beaches in search of metal objects, war material or even gold, you really can’t do without the best metal detector.
You will have certainly seen more than once people who at the beach, at the end of the day, approach the shore with a metal detector and start searching in the sand. These are lovers of treasure hunting and metal hunting. For these activities, they use this curious-looking gadget, which uses signals to detect the presence of metals in the area in which we find ourselves.
Below we offer you our selection of the best models of metal detector available for you on the market.
- 【5 Modes of Operation】PANCKY adults metal detectors has 5 distinct modes allow you to effectively search for the desired...
- 【10inch Waterproof Search Coil】PANCKY IP68 waterproof metal detector enables you works well in shallow water. Perfect for...
- 【Upgraded DSP Chip】Upgraded DSP chip metal detector which improves search range and sensitivity, greatly conducive to...
- 【Intuitive LCD Display 】Large color LCD display allows you to get the detection dynamics at any time. It’s convenient for...
- 【Ergonomics Design】 Equipped with 43.3" to 60.2" adjustable stem applicable to different height gold detector enthusiasts. It...
- TOP METAL DETECTOR FOR ADULTS and the finest of the deluxe DR.ÖTEK line. This adults metal detector is an exciting new addition...
- LARGE LCD DISPLAY has a big clear 3" x 2.2" screen that is easy to read. Backlight lets you work in the dark for a great deal...
- 9.8" WIDE SEARCH COIL is so powerful it can locate a quarter coin up to 10" underground. This waterproof metal detector can find...
- DEPTH & SENSITIVITY ADJUSTABLE. Adjust the depth indication for objects 2", 4", 6", 8" with plus or minus. Easily fine tune for...
- PERFECT GIFT WITH ACCESSORIES. You can get more than a metal detector and including a super premium digger shovel and a carrying...
- Gold Digger Metal Detector will detect all kinds of metal from include iron, steel, brass, aluminum, silver, and gold coins and...
- Detects coin-size objects up to 6 inches deep; larger objects up to 2 feet
- Operates on (2) 9-volt ALKALINE batteries (not included). (Do not use “Heavy Duty” or ordinary “Zinc Carbon” batteries).
- Constructed of high-quality aluminum tubing and high-impact ABS plastic – has an excellent reputation for ruggedness and...
- Power and sensitivity control to maximize detection depth.Trash eliminator control to eliminate most undesirable items from...
- 💰 Five Detection Modes - Just what you would expect from professional equipment, our metal detector’s 5 search modes allow...
- 💰 10" IP68 Waterproof Search Coil - This means you can take this metal detector and play on the beach wherever you want....
- 💰 Higher Accuracy & Deeper Detection - When we say our metal detector is professional, we mean it. It features an advanced...
- 💰 Adjustable Height & Lightweight - Share your treasure hunting spirit with your little ones! Our metal detector can be...
- 💰 Backlight Display & Ergonomic Handle - Dawn, dusk, or even broad daylight, whenever you choose to do your treasure hunting,...
- This package includes Garrett 8.5" x 11" Search Coil Cover, Garrett Edge Digger, ClearSound Headphones, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer,...
- New Iron Audio allows user to hear discriminated iron targets and to alter the mid-tone signal range New Digital Target ID with a...
- New higher frequency (10 kHz) provides better sensitivity on low and medium-conductivity targets (i.e. gold, lead) New Adjustable...
- New Includes Pulse-Width Modulation audio for sharper, more responsive audio Enhanced Iron Resolution gives twice the iron...
- Notch Discrimination modifies discrimination patterns based on what you are seeking Five Search Modes (plus Pinpoint) Eight (8)...
- Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector with submersible Searchcoil
- Includes 3 FREE Accessories:
- Volume control Garrett ClearSound Easy Stow headphones
- ACE Environmental Coverup
- 7" x 10" Searchcoil Cover
- Extra Accessories: Garrett 8.5" x 11" Search Coil Cover, ClearSound Headphones, Garrett ACE Environmental Cover Up, Garrett Carry...
- Also Includes: Garrett 8.5" x 11" PROformance DD Waterproof Search Coil, Adjustable Arm Strap, Garrett ACE 400 Instruction Manual,...
- Includes Electronic Pinpointing: precisely locates targets and speeds recovery Notch Discrimination: Modify discrimination...
- New Adjustable Frequency, New More Stable Camlocks, Enhanced Iron Resolution
- 2 year Warranty, 5 Search Modes, New Higher Frequency 10 kHz, Digital Target ID
- Includes: PRO-FIND 15 pinpointer, EQX 11" Double-D Smart Coil with Skidplate, Wireless Bluetooth / apt-X Low Latency Headphones,...
- Multi-Language Screen Protectors, Adjustable Armrest, USB Charging Cable with Magnetic Connector,
- Features: 4 Detect Modes (Park, Field, Beach, Gold)
- 6 Frequency Options (Multi, 5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, 20kHz, 40kHz)
- Bluetooth Headphones and WM 08 Wireless Module Supplied
- 👍【360° Side-Scan and Pinpoint Tip Detection】 Quickly locate coins, jewelry, silverware, gold and other metal objects....
- 👍【Precise positioning & Partial Waterproof】 The pin pointer help you locate smaller targets accurately and quickly. In...
- 👍【Audio& Vibration Indicator】Maximum Sensitivity for improved metal detecting according to metal type, size and depth. With...
- 👍【One-touch operation&Portable&Lightweight】Differ from other single alert type, our detector provide audio and vibrate...
- 👍【Wide Applications】High Sensitivity Pin Pointer metal detector can detect indoors, outdoors, on sand, lawn or in soil,...
Everything You Need to Know About Metal Detectors
Some environmental factors have an impact on metal detection. Highly mineralized soils (such as beach sand or red earth) are the most difficult in this sense. Some models have an option to “skim” the search for metals, that is, select the specific type you are looking for so that the appliance ignores the presence of other metals in the area.
The best metal detectors also have several alert modes to report the detection of metals in the soil. Choosing a model that has at least one acoustic and bright signal is ideal.
A metal detector is used to search for any type of lost object, for example, on the beach, such as rings, coins or pendants. It is an accessory also used by archaeologists looking for finds or sites of importance for their activity. If you like looking for treasures, you’re in luck.
Metal detectors are the perfect excuse to go outdoors in search of treasures, whether in the fields or on the beach. Obviously, if you want your research to be fruitful, you must choose a model with adequate power and capacity. To help you make the decision, we have developed this purchase guide and tried to answer the most common questions among those interested in this product.
What Is a Metal Detector Used For?
A metal detector has the function of searching for buried or otherwise hidden metals. These devices emit radio frequencies similar to those of a radar or sonar, which “bounce” on metals and then return to the coil of the mechanism. When a metal is detected, the device emits an acoustic signal that tells us where to look.
Metal detectors can find metals of all types (iron, zinc, aluminium, copper, various alloys and heavy metals such as gold and silver). They are ideal for looking for old buried treasures such as coins, jewels or relics. They are used by metal research enthusiasts, but also by archaeologists and law enforcement officers.
In addition to the recreational use we told you about, metal detectors can also be used by law enforcement agencies and other security officers to “scan” people, such as happens in accessing some official buildings and identify the possible presence of weapons and metals.
They are also used for geolocation, for example, of archaeological sites and other types of reliefs of interest. In 2008, a Spanish researcher, Mike DeMar, found a golden chalice on a Spanish ship wrecked 400 years earlier. These machines are also used in the military, for the detection of underground explosive mines.
How Does a Metal Detector Work?
Metal detectors work by transmitting an electromagnetic field from the coil of their mechanism to the ground. Any metal object within this electromagnetic field is charged with energy and in turn transmits its own electromagnetic “response”. The metal detector coil receives this response and emits an acoustic signal to signal the position of the object in question.
Most modern metal detectors have various functions to select a specific type of object to search for and offer the possibility of setting unwanted targets that the machine will ignore. This means that the metal detector will be able to distinguish the type of metal identified and only report what we have selected as interesting for our research.
What Are the Basic Concepts of Metal Detection Activity?
If you want to become a good metal researcher, you must first understand how metal detectors work. At the same time, however, there is no need to know how to use them practically if some fundamental aspects of the research activity are not understood.
Main Concepts of Metal Detection
The frequency of a metal detector is one of the basic characteristics, which will determine the correct detection of the objectives. The best metal detectors emit their multiple frequency electromagnetic field.
Ground balance is a variable configuration which increases the detection depth on mineralized soil. In salty soils (such as beach sand or red earth) this function helps to skim the search so as not to cause mistakes.
This is the metal detector’s ability to identify targets based on the conductive and ferrous properties of each material. In this way, the material we are looking for is precisely identified, while the other types that are not of interest for our research are ignored.
What Is the Maximum Depth That Can Be Reached by a Metal Detector?
The answer to this question is generally simple, the same depth as the diameter of the coil. Therefore, metal detectors with larger coils will be able to detect the presence of metals at a greater depth. Obviously, the detection depth will also depend on the technology used by the machinery, and other factors related to the environment.
A more complex and complete answer to this question may begin with “it depends”. Below, we list the various factors that impact the depth of detection:
Soil mineralization: Soil with a low level of mineralization allows deeper detection. Mineralization levels have a negative impact on detection.
Lens size: The bigger the target, the deeper the detection will be.
Lens shape: Circular shaped targets, such as coins and rings, can be identified at a greater depth than elongated ones.
The lens position: A coin in a horizontal position (placed on the soil layer in which it is located) will be detected at a greater depth than one in a vertical position.
Lens material: Good conducting metals (such as silver) are identifiable at a greater depth than bad conductors (for example lead).
Operating Frequency of a Metal Detector?
The frequency of a metal detector is measured in kHz (Kilohertz). This is the number of times per second in which the signal is transmitted and received by the detector. For example, a metal detector operating at 6 kHz will transmit and receive information 6000 times per second, while a 50 kHz metal detector will do so 50000 times per second.
As a general rule, low frequency metal detectors are more sensitive to copper and silver, work at a good depth and are able to skim the lenses very well. Higher frequency ones are more reactive to light metals and natural gold but do not distinguish non-ferrous metals well.
What Metals Can a Metal Detector Detect?
One of the most common questions when buying a metal detector is this. If you are not an expert on these devices or metal research, it is quite normal for you to ask. As we have already explained to you previously, the latest generation metal detectors can distinguish the different metals, so you can configure them to search for what you want.
What Kind of Metals You Can Search for with Your Metal Detector
Ferrous metals: contain iron and steel. They are good heat conductors and are attracted to a magnet. Some examples are staples, staplers, screws, nails and other objects with iron.
Non-ferrous metals: They are not magnetic and resist corrosion better than iron. Examples include aluminium, copper, gold and silver.
Stainless steel: In general, it is more difficult to detect than ferrous metals. Type 302, 304 and 316 stainless steel is not detectable.
What Types of “Treasures” Will You Find with My Metal Detector?
What motivates lovers of metal research is precisely this, being aware of the buried treasures they could find. It is something that fascinates anyone, especially children who start this activity. These devices can detect practically anything that contains a metal part.
In the United States, for example, it is very common to hunt for treasures dating back to the Secession War. In Spain, however, there are many enthusiasts who go with their metal detectors to the places that were the scene of the Civil War, in search of remains such as buckles, splinters, ammunition and pieces of uniforms. In fact, you can really find everything from coins to jewelry.
What About the Detection Range?
As you have seen previously, each brand specifies, among the various characteristics of its devices, also the depth to which the metal detector can reach. However, this is a very complex aspect to be defined. A metal detector that offers a depth of 25 cm could work perfectly on poorly mineralized soils, but surely on those with a high level of mineralization, it would not exceed 10 cm.
Therefore, you must always think about the use you will make of the device. Damp soils favor detection, as they create a halo around metals that improves signal output. This also depends largely on the metal itself: one will give a stronger signal than another. Silver, for example, is easier to locate.
Metal Detector to Detect Gold and Silver
Some metal detector models identify both gold and silver, but most likely, you will need to configure them. Some have separate search functions, one for gold and one for silver. Finally, there are others that allow you to search for both at the same time.
Now that you have learned what a metal detector is and how it works, the time has come to choose one. To help you decide which one to buy, we have created this section for you complete with the criteria and factors to consider before choosing the one you will take home.
Depending on the intended use of your device, you will need to check the detection range it has. Remember that environmental factors such as humidity and soil mineralization will have a positive or negative impact on the detection range, together with the type of metal you are looking for.
That being said, the more expensive models will offer you a higher detection range, thus allowing you to search for metals at a greater depth. Obviously, the price of these metal detectors will be less accessible, so if you need a device to get started, or to use it occasionally as a pastime, it will be better to focus on cheaper products with a lower detection range.
In this case, we recommend the smaller dishes if your research will focus on very compact objects. For example, if you want your metal detector to be able to identify a pendant or necklace, you will need to choose a plate with a diameter of less than 25 cm. Conversely, if you are only interested in larger lenses, you will have to buy a model with a larger diameter plate.
If you are not very expert in metal research and detection, we recommend that you understand why you will use your metal detector before you start. In doing so, it will be much easier for you to choose the model that’s right for you. There are hand or foot models; the former are smaller and more compact, but have a lower detection range and are therefore less effective.
Foot models are the most common and usually have better characteristics. For example, a higher detection range, together with coils, plates and waterproof structure, or the ability to skim the search according to the settings you give it. In the end, therefore, the model to choose depends on you and on the use you have thought of giving to the metal detector. Think about it and don’t spend more than you should.
Metal Detection Indicators
The most modern metal detector models have various systems to report detection. Most have more than one warning system. Some models have LED lights, various audible alarms and vibrations. Check this aspect carefully, as it would always be convenient to choose a model that has different warning systems.
Many users complain that their device does not emit sounds to warn of the detection, and are therefore forced to depend on the screen, having to continuously monitor it. That’s why it’s important to choose a model with multiple warning systems. We also recommend that you orient yourself on a device that has a headphone input, in order to better hear the acoustic signals even in very noisy places.
Distinction of Metals
This function will allow you to set the metal detector by programming the target you are looking for. Once detected, the device will only emit a signal if it is the desired metal, completely ignoring the other types. It is a very useful option, which will allow you to work faster and more efficiently.
Wrist metal detectors do not include this option. Low frequency ones, on the other hand, yes, but at a higher price. Choose a model with this function only if you really use it, otherwise, it will be an unnecessary expense.
Metal detection, whether it’s a hobby or a professional activity, requires a time commitment that can go up to several hours. That’s why it is necessary to choose a model that has some features that facilitate our research and make it more pleasant.
In this regard, check the weight of the device and the area of support for the arm. We advise you to always choose a padded and adjustable model; ditto for the handle. Equally useful would be to have the retractable rod, so as not to have to bend or squat and adjust it according to your needs.
The metal detector will be our main tool, but it would not be bad to have other accessories that facilitate your search. You may find many of these accessories already included in the package; therefore, we advise you to always carefully check the content and accessories already provided.
Among the various extras useful for using your metal detector are a shovel, a belt with lining and pockets, a safety bag to store the device or earphones. If you are starting with the search for metals, you may also find a manual or graphic information material with advice on this activity.
Although usually not underwater, the best metal detectors are waterproof. They are generally IP certified, which ensures resistance to dust and humidity. This aspect is essential for these devices since they are often used on the beach, in close contact with water.
A metal detector can be a fantastic gift for a child: you will give him an invitation to go outside and explore. But it’s not just for the little ones: more and more fans of the search for metals, who use this tool to go out hunting for buried “treasures”, both for hobbies and for work. It is a fun and very complete device.
As you have read, there is a large variety of models on the market. Choosing the one that’s right for you is not always easy, especially if you are not an expert on the subject. In this article, we have developed a complete guide for you, which includes all the purchasing factors to consider and the answers to the most frequently asked questions about these products.