If you have the hobby of bringing back to light small relics of the past, the time has come to equip yourself with this versatile tool and go on a search. Coins, jewels, objects of any value are hidden in the most unexpected places: a metal detector will help you to reveal them.
It certainly cannot be said that it is a conventional pastime. But if you have the right spirit and you like to walk through the countryside, woods and beaches in search of metal objects, war material or even gold, you really can’t do without the best metal detector.
You will have certainly seen more than once people who at the beach, at the end of the day, approach the shore with a metal detector and start searching in the sand. These are lovers of treasure hunting and metal hunting. For these activities, they use this curious-looking gadget, which uses signals to detect the presence of metals in the area in which we find ourselves.
Below we offer you our selection of the best models of metal detector available for you on the market.
- Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
- Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
- Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
- Disc/notch control distinguishes between targets and unwanted metals
- Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
- EXPLORE ANYWHERE: High end professional underground metal detector that gives you the power to search over multiple terrains. Using superior geolocator technology you can detect far more than before with the dual functions deep seeking and long-range target locating.
- TREASURE DISCOVERY: The Spark offers the high rigor frequency waves that enable it to identify and make easier the detection of target sites underground, like gold, treasures, and blanks! This professional metal detector is designed to accurately locate everything made of gold, silver, and bronze, like coins & jewelry to older relics and larger treasures. The ability of the Long Range SPARK is 10 meters deep and 200 meters distance.
- LONG DISTANCE SENSING SYSTEM (LDS): The advanced and built-in with acoustic identification systems to locate the path and point center of the target.
- NOTICE - Bank authorization may be necessary prior to purchase to prevent order cancellation. Please confirm with your bank prior to purchase to avoid order delays.
- 【5 Modes of Operation】2021 new version metal detectors has 5 distinct modes allows you to correctly search for the favored metals. ✔All METAL MODE: 6 types targets. ✔DISC/NOTCH MODE: Selective distinguish 5 types of targets, 25 not excluded. Eliminate objects you don't want.✔MEMORY MODE ✔JEWELRY MODE: Ignore Iron ✔PINPOINTER MODE
- 【Lightweight & ergonomics design】Equipped with 43.3" to 60.2" adjustable stem suitable for both adults kids and teenagers, it has an ergonomic layout that includes adjustable arm strp and an anti-slip cope with that equips your hunting enjoy with consolation. With a shovel, you may enjoy the excavation at any time.
- 【10 inch Big Search Coil Waterproof】Our Metal detector has 10 inch big search coil which can reach up to 8.6" depth underground. You may freely dive with it and find treasures hidden from the eyes of most of the people. Perfect for indoors, outside, seashore, garden, park, wooded area, lawn, sand or soil. (Note: the control box is not waterproof).
- 【Intuitive LCD Display & Sensitivity adjustable】Massive color LCD display allows you to get the detection dynamics at any time. It’s handy to get the form of metal goal, intensity of goal, recognition, sensitivity stage, operating mode and battery indication. And we also come with headphones to minimizes any feedback noise from underground minerals.
- 【Gift For every age】Regardless of you're a novice or a treasure hunter, our metal detector will come up with numerous fun. Absolutely a great gift for adults and youngsters alike, making it a very good preference for own family amusing and outdoor sports. Any questions please touch us, we can offer Video of operating commands and Quality guarantee. Support E-mail or online videos please check the Box.
- 👣 3 Tone Audio Discrimination: Psukhai Metal Detector has 3 distinct modes that allow you to select in detecting. Sounds distinctive tones for different types of metal.
- 👣 LCD Display: Shows the probable type of metal with an arrow, the depth of the target, DISC range, the level of SENS with segment, the operating mode, and battery indication.
- 👣 10" Waterproof Search Coil: IP68 waterproof allows you to search under water. Notice: The LCD control panel is not waterproof.
- 👣 Upgraded DSP Chip: The detection range and sensitivity have been improved, which increased the maximum depth of detection to 9". Besides, you don't need to adjust the parameter everytime you go treasure hunting , the memory function will remember the current detection mode, sensitivity, volume.
- 👣 Great Gift Idea for Men: The Psukhai metal detector will come up with numerous fun. Absolutely a great gift for adults and youngsters alike, making it a very creative gift idea for your family and friends.
- 【All Metal & DISC Modes】DISC mode (different metal types by long and short tones) / full metal mode (only detect and do not distinguish metals) , also there is a low battery indicator light to remind the user to replace the battery. Each mode has an automatic ground balance function to help balance mineralization.
- 【More Accuracy】Provide 10 Levels of Sensitivity Adjustment, Metal Detector for adults GC-1078 provide 10 levels of sensitivity adjustment, the detection efficiency and accuracy exceed most similar products on the market. Help find the target metal more quickly (treasures you want to discover or valuables which has been lost).
- 【Easy to Carry】Metal Detector for adults GC-1078 can be assembled, folded, and disassembled very easily, which is very convenient to carry around. The whole device weighs 2.68 pounds and can be easily held by women and children. The length of the fuselage can be adjusted to suit people of all heights. The ergonomic design makes the grip more effortless, whether you prefer right-handed or left-handed operation.
- 【Usage Scenarios 】Not only meet the hobbies of metal detection but also apply to family activities. Its telescopic stem can be adjusted between 35 to 48 inches to fit for both kids and adults; You could enjoy the fun of exploration, cultivate parent-child relationships, and cultivate your children’s curiosity about the world, keeping them away from televisions and game consoles. (Also suitable as a gift for a friend or child).
- ❤❤【NO RISK INVESTMENT】- We are confident about our SAKOBS metal detectors. All our metal detectors were manufactured under strict quality standards and 100% checked before shipment. we offer LIFETIME techniques support, any questions please contact SAKOBS, and for sure we will find the right solution for you in time.
- 👣👣HIGH ACCURACY & WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL: 10-inch metal detector with IP68 waterproof search coil, it has a high sensitivity, it detecting depth of up to 8 inches deep for small coins and metal objects, larger objects up to 3 feet. Waterproof search coil enables you to use detecting to underwater, Perfect for outdoor, like beach, stream, and yard. (Note: the control box is not waterproof)
- 👣👣3 STRONG MODES OF OPERATIONS: OMMO metal detector kit has three distinct modes that make you can optimize from in detecting metals. ① All Metal Mode - the metal detector notifies you whenever it sees any metal. ② Disc Mode - you can utilize this gold metal detector to discriminate against other types of metal for a specific one. ③ Pinpoint – According to your environment to choose the different positioning strength, aids in the detection of metals by beeping
- 👣👣LARGE BACK-LIT LCD DISPLAY: Usually is used beach metal detectors for adults and kids, which equipped with a large back-lit LCD screen to display different detecting depth, discrimination, operating mode, overload warning, sensitivity level, and battery level you can get information intuitively from the screen, which let you detecting more efficient and time-saving
- 👣👣HUMANITY DESIGN & ADJUSTABLE: Don't worry about the length of the stem, the metal detector from 30 inches to 41-inch adjustable stem, suitable for different height adults, or kids. And the armrest design will help you to save more effort, makes you more comfortable and less stressed. Let's start your treasure hunt with the lovely OMMO metal detector
- 👣👣KINDLY KNOW THAT:There are some factors are likely to interfere with the correct signal from the metal detector. 1) Not put the device on the floor, cause most of the building floor has much metal embed. 2) Not suggested to use it indoors, large appliances can also interfere with metal detectors. 3) If you use it outdoors, avoid highly mineralized soil, places with metal waste. If you carry a digging tool, please also place it a little further away from the metal detector when detecting
- 💰【3 MODES & MEMORY FUNCTION】: This metal detectors have three modes: ①All metal mode, which can identify all types of metals (iron, gold, silver, copper, aluminum, zinc, nickel). ② DISC mode, helps you to exclude the metals you don't need. ③ NOTCH mode, to selectively exclude the detection of categories on the dashboard. Whether you are a professional metal detector enthusiast or a beginner or even a child, you can easily use it.
- 💰【HIGH ACCURACY & MEMORY FUNCTION】: This metal finder subdivides the target metal type into 9 levels (The most segmentation of target metals in the current market). When metal is detected, the detector will recognize immediately, and it will automatically indicate the depth of the objects. Built-in memory function, it will automatically retain the user settings after shutdown.
- 💰【3 TYPES OF SOUNDS & PINPOINT】: This gold detector will emit 3 different sounds according to different metals, which will save you time to distinguish value metals and improve detection efficiency. It designed with pinpoint function. After detecting the metals, you can press the "PP" button for one time to position the metal accurately.
- 💰【WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL & LCD DISPLAY】: 10” waterproof search coil helps you to hunt for treasure in shallow water. You can use it to detect gold by the river or sea. It has a backlight LCD display to clearly display the information no matter at day or night. 43.3" ~ 53.5" adjustable stem, suitable for different heights.
- 💰【100% SATISFACTORY SERVICE】: It comes with 1 X Headphones, 1 X shovel, 1 X long carrying bag. We provide you with a 24/7 responsive customer service. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any problems. We are always here whenever you need.
- Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector with submersible Searchcoil
- Includes 3 FREE Accessories:
- Volume control Garrett ClearSound Easy Stow headphones
- ACE Environmental Coverup
- 7" x 10" Searchcoil Cover
- FIND BURIED TREASURE – This metal detector is the perfect tool for a treasure hunting expedition! The 7.5-inch dual coil is waterproof and has adjustable sensitivity, detecting objects up to 7 inches underground. Kids will have a blast with it!
- DESIGNED FOR KIDS OR ADULTS – A telescoping arm provides length adjustment while a padded arm strap and comfort grip make this metal detector easy for all treasure hunters to use. At just 1.5 pounds, kids can carry it all day!
- COLLAPSIBLE AND PORTABLE – This lightweight metal detector travels easily and stores without hassle. The coil can be folded up and the arm support removed, making it a breeze to tuck away in luggage or in the corner of a closet.
- AN AWESOME LEARNING TOOL – Kids will also learn history and science with the 5 replica gold doubloons and full-color learning guide! It’s a lot of fun to hide the doubloons then send your treasure hunter searching for their dazzling artifacts!
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – The National Geographic STEM series provides kids high-quality educational toys that are a whole lot of fun! If your experience is anything less than extraordinary, let us know so we can make it right for you.
- 【5 Operating Modes】All Metal: The metal detector will search all kinds of metal; DISC 1: Eliminating iron from detection; DISC 2: Eliminating iron, nickle, foil from detection; DISC 3: Eliminating iron, nickel, foil, aluminum, s-caps from detection. PINPOINT: When you find valuable metal, you can press PP button to locate the target accurately.
- 【3 Audio Tone】Avid Power metal detector with built-in audio identification system can sound three tones for different types of metal. LOW TONE: Iron; MEDIUM TONE: 5￠, foil, bottle cap, nickels, aluminum, zinc, etc; HIGH TONE: Gold, silver, 25￠, 10￠, brass, etc.
- 【SENS & Stem Adjustable】The sensitivity level of this metal detector can adjust from 1 bar to 6 bar, you can increase(+) or decrease(-) the level of sensitivity depends on your needs. 41.3"-47.6" Length adjustable stem adapts both adults and juniors. Ergonomic arm rest design saves more effort and gives you enough comfort while hunting gold and treasure.
- 【Back-Lit LCD Display】Large and clear LCD screen shows probable type of metal, depth of target, discrimination, operating modes, SENS and battery level. You can turn on the backlight of the screen in dark area or night. The back of the control box equipped with a 3.5mm headphone jack which can let you connect with headphone in noisy environment(headphone NOT included). With 8.7" big waterproof search coil, you can use this metal detector in beach and river side.
- 【What You Would Get】1 * Avid Power Metal Detector, 2 * 9V Battery, 1 * Shovel, 1 * Carrying Bag, 1 * User Manual, 1 * Warranty Card.
Everything You Need to Know About Metal Detectors
Some environmental factors have an impact on metal detection. Highly mineralized soils (such as beach sand or red earth) are the most difficult in this sense. Some models have an option to “skim” the search for metals, that is, select the specific type you are looking for so that the appliance ignores the presence of other metals in the area.
The best metal detectors also have several alert modes to report the detection of metals in the soil. Choosing a model that has at least one acoustic and bright signal is ideal.
A metal detector is used to search for any type of lost object, for example, on the beach, such as rings, coins or pendants. It is an accessory also used by archaeologists looking for finds or sites of importance for their activity. If you like looking for treasures, you’re in luck.
Metal detectors are the perfect excuse to go outdoors in search of treasures, whether in the fields or on the beach. Obviously, if you want your research to be fruitful, you must choose a model with adequate power and capacity. To help you make the decision, we have developed this purchase guide and tried to answer the most common questions among those interested in this product.
What Is a Metal Detector Used For?
A metal detector has the function of searching for buried or otherwise hidden metals. These devices emit radio frequencies similar to those of a radar or sonar, which “bounce” on metals and then return to the coil of the mechanism. When a metal is detected, the device emits an acoustic signal that tells us where to look.
Metal detectors can find metals of all types (iron, zinc, aluminium, copper, various alloys and heavy metals such as gold and silver). They are ideal for looking for old buried treasures such as coins, jewels or relics. They are used by metal research enthusiasts, but also by archaeologists and law enforcement officers.
In addition to the recreational use we told you about, metal detectors can also be used by law enforcement agencies and other security officers to “scan” people, such as happens in accessing some official buildings and identify the possible presence of weapons and metals.
They are also used for geolocation, for example, of archaeological sites and other types of reliefs of interest. In 2008, a Spanish researcher, Mike DeMar, found a golden chalice on a Spanish ship wrecked 400 years earlier. These machines are also used in the military, for the detection of underground explosive mines.
How Does a Metal Detector Work?
Metal detectors work by transmitting an electromagnetic field from the coil of their mechanism to the ground. Any metal object within this electromagnetic field is charged with energy and in turn transmits its own electromagnetic “response”. The metal detector coil receives this response and emits an acoustic signal to signal the position of the object in question.
Most modern metal detectors have various functions to select a specific type of object to search for and offer the possibility of setting unwanted targets that the machine will ignore. This means that the metal detector will be able to distinguish the type of metal identified and only report what we have selected as interesting for our research.
What Are the Basic Concepts of Metal Detection Activity?
If you want to become a good metal researcher, you must first understand how metal detectors work. At the same time, however, there is no need to know how to use them practically if some fundamental aspects of the research activity are not understood.
Main Concepts of Metal Detection
The frequency of a metal detector is one of the basic characteristics, which will determine the correct detection of the objectives. The best metal detectors emit their multiple frequency electromagnetic field.
Ground balance is a variable configuration which increases the detection depth on mineralized soil. In salty soils (such as beach sand or red earth) this function helps to skim the search so as not to cause mistakes.
This is the metal detector’s ability to identify targets based on the conductive and ferrous properties of each material. In this way, the material we are looking for is precisely identified, while the other types that are not of interest for our research are ignored.
What Is the Maximum Depth That Can Be Reached by a Metal Detector?
The answer to this question is generally simple, the same depth as the diameter of the coil. Therefore, metal detectors with larger coils will be able to detect the presence of metals at a greater depth. Obviously, the detection depth will also depend on the technology used by the machinery, and other factors related to the environment.
A more complex and complete answer to this question may begin with “it depends”. Below, we list the various factors that impact the depth of detection:
Soil mineralization: Soil with a low level of mineralization allows deeper detection. Mineralization levels have a negative impact on detection.
Lens size: The bigger the target, the deeper the detection will be.
Lens shape: Circular shaped targets, such as coins and rings, can be identified at a greater depth than elongated ones.
The lens position: A coin in a horizontal position (placed on the soil layer in which it is located) will be detected at a greater depth than one in a vertical position.
Lens material: Good conducting metals (such as silver) are identifiable at a greater depth than bad conductors (for example lead).
Operating Frequency of a Metal Detector?
The frequency of a metal detector is measured in kHz (Kilohertz). This is the number of times per second in which the signal is transmitted and received by the detector. For example, a metal detector operating at 6 kHz will transmit and receive information 6000 times per second, while a 50 kHz metal detector will do so 50000 times per second.
As a general rule, low frequency metal detectors are more sensitive to copper and silver, work at a good depth and are able to skim the lenses very well. Higher frequency ones are more reactive to light metals and natural gold but do not distinguish non-ferrous metals well.
What Metals Can a Metal Detector Detect?
One of the most common questions when buying a metal detector is this. If you are not an expert on these devices or metal research, it is quite normal for you to ask. As we have already explained to you previously, the latest generation metal detectors can distinguish the different metals, so you can configure them to search for what you want.
What Kind of Metals You Can Search for with Your Metal Detector
Ferrous metals: contain iron and steel. They are good heat conductors and are attracted to a magnet. Some examples are staples, staplers, screws, nails and other objects with iron.
Non-ferrous metals: They are not magnetic and resist corrosion better than iron. Examples include aluminium, copper, gold and silver.
Stainless steel: In general, it is more difficult to detect than ferrous metals. Type 302, 304 and 316 stainless steel is not detectable.
What Types of “Treasures” Will You Find with My Metal Detector?
What motivates lovers of metal research is precisely this, being aware of the buried treasures they could find. It is something that fascinates anyone, especially children who start this activity. These devices can detect practically anything that contains a metal part.
In the United States, for example, it is very common to hunt for treasures dating back to the Secession War. In Spain, however, there are many enthusiasts who go with their metal detectors to the places that were the scene of the Civil War, in search of remains such as buckles, splinters, ammunition and pieces of uniforms. In fact, you can really find everything from coins to jewelry.
What About the Detection Range?
As you have seen previously, each brand specifies, among the various characteristics of its devices, also the depth to which the metal detector can reach. However, this is a very complex aspect to be defined. A metal detector that offers a depth of 25 cm could work perfectly on poorly mineralized soils, but surely on those with a high level of mineralization, it would not exceed 10 cm.
Therefore, you must always think about the use you will make of the device. Damp soils favor detection, as they create a halo around metals that improves signal output. This also depends largely on the metal itself: one will give a stronger signal than another. Silver, for example, is easier to locate.
Metal Detector to Detect Gold and Silver
Some metal detector models identify both gold and silver, but most likely, you will need to configure them. Some have separate search functions, one for gold and one for silver. Finally, there are others that allow you to search for both at the same time.
Now that you have learned what a metal detector is and how it works, the time has come to choose one. To help you decide which one to buy, we have created this section for you complete with the criteria and factors to consider before choosing the one you will take home.
Depending on the intended use of your device, you will need to check the detection range it has. Remember that environmental factors such as humidity and soil mineralization will have a positive or negative impact on the detection range, together with the type of metal you are looking for.
That being said, the more expensive models will offer you a higher detection range, thus allowing you to search for metals at a greater depth. Obviously, the price of these metal detectors will be less accessible, so if you need a device to get started, or to use it occasionally as a pastime, it will be better to focus on cheaper products with a lower detection range.
In this case, we recommend the smaller dishes if your research will focus on very compact objects. For example, if you want your metal detector to be able to identify a pendant or necklace, you will need to choose a plate with a diameter of less than 25 cm. Conversely, if you are only interested in larger lenses, you will have to buy a model with a larger diameter plate.
If you are not very expert in metal research and detection, we recommend that you understand why you will use your metal detector before you start. In doing so, it will be much easier for you to choose the model that’s right for you. There are hand or foot models; the former are smaller and more compact, but have a lower detection range and are therefore less effective.
Foot models are the most common and usually have better characteristics. For example, a higher detection range, together with coils, plates and waterproof structure, or the ability to skim the search according to the settings you give it. In the end, therefore, the model to choose depends on you and on the use you have thought of giving to the metal detector. Think about it and don’t spend more than you should.
Metal Detection Indicators
The most modern metal detector models have various systems to report detection. Most have more than one warning system. Some models have LED lights, various audible alarms and vibrations. Check this aspect carefully, as it would always be convenient to choose a model that has different warning systems.
Many users complain that their device does not emit sounds to warn of the detection, and are therefore forced to depend on the screen, having to continuously monitor it. That’s why it’s important to choose a model with multiple warning systems. We also recommend that you orient yourself on a device that has a headphone input, in order to better hear the acoustic signals even in very noisy places.
Distinction of Metals
This function will allow you to set the metal detector by programming the target you are looking for. Once detected, the device will only emit a signal if it is the desired metal, completely ignoring the other types. It is a very useful option, which will allow you to work faster and more efficiently.
Wrist metal detectors do not include this option. Low frequency ones, on the other hand, yes, but at a higher price. Choose a model with this function only if you really use it, otherwise, it will be an unnecessary expense.
Metal detection, whether it’s a hobby or a professional activity, requires a time commitment that can go up to several hours. That’s why it is necessary to choose a model that has some features that facilitate our research and make it more pleasant.
In this regard, check the weight of the device and the area of support for the arm. We advise you to always choose a padded and adjustable model; ditto for the handle. Equally useful would be to have the retractable rod, so as not to have to bend or squat and adjust it according to your needs.
The metal detector will be our main tool, but it would not be bad to have other accessories that facilitate your search. You may find many of these accessories already included in the package; therefore, we advise you to always carefully check the content and accessories already provided.
Among the various extras useful for using your metal detector are a shovel, a belt with lining and pockets, a safety bag to store the device or earphones. If you are starting with the search for metals, you may also find a manual or graphic information material with advice on this activity.
Although usually not underwater, the best metal detectors are waterproof. They are generally IP certified, which ensures resistance to dust and humidity. This aspect is essential for these devices since they are often used on the beach, in close contact with water.
A metal detector can be a fantastic gift for a child: you will give him an invitation to go outside and explore. But it’s not just for the little ones: more and more fans of the search for metals, who use this tool to go out hunting for buried “treasures”, both for hobbies and for work. It is a fun and very complete device.
As you have read, there is a large variety of models on the market. Choosing the one that’s right for you is not always easy, especially if you are not an expert on the subject. In this article, we have developed a complete guide for you, which includes all the purchasing factors to consider and the answers to the most frequently asked questions about these products.