When you want to know the level of humidity in the air, in a closed environment or in-ground, it is necessary to carry out the appropriate revelations using the humidity meter, otherwise called a moisture meter.
Knowing these values, you can possibly take cover and act in the most appropriate way. To measure the level of humidity and the temperature of an environment, land, or surface, for the uninitiated, the suitable instrument for this task is a hygrometer.
Here we had selected the best moisture meters for you that are listed below.
- ▶ 【Compact & Portable】 Have you been sticking your finger in the soil hoping to feel when it's time to water? Why not eliminate the guesswork and keep your hands clean when you use the Dr.meter Soil Moisture Sensor Meter! Know the right time to water your garden, farm, lawn and plants, anytime.
- ▶ 【Easy to Read】No experience required--while this machine is sophisticated, it's not complicated! With an interface using ten scales and a color-coded reading system from red, green to blue, it's never been more straightforward reading your soil moisture.
- ▶ 【No Batteries Required】Who needs batteries or electricity? Just plug stick it into the ground and get a reading in no time!
- ▶ 【Gentle to Plant Roots】Keep roots intact when you do readings thanks to the single probe design. You won't have to dig up too much soil or disturb sensitive roots when you take readings so your plants can stay perfectly healthy.
- ▶ 【Helpful Tips】The Dr.meter Soil Moisture Sensor Meter is designed only for soil testing and should not be used in liquids. Keep it away from rocks and extremely hard soil to avoid damaging it. Make sure to clean the probe after each use.
- ▶【2-in-1 Moisture Meter】The 2-in-1 Dr.meter moisture meter offers ideal dual functions of pin-type and pinless scanning in one. The pinless scanning mode with non-invasive measurement is ideal for high-end wood and building materials. The pin-type mode with faster response and higher accuracy is great for all kinds of wood and building materials.
- ▶【Wide Measuring Range】Different measurement modes correspond to different measurement ranges. In the pin-type mode: wood: 5%-50%, building materials: 1.5%-33%, error range: +/-2%; In the pinless scanning mode: wood: 0%-53%, error range: +/-4%.
- ▶【Over-range Alert】There are four pinless scanning modes of softwood, hardwood, gypsum board and concrete. The general algorithm has been written into the user manual to reduce the redundant settings before use to facilitate customers. When the wood moisture exceeds 17% or the wall humidity exceeds 70%, the wood moisture tester will beep to alert you.
- ▶【Current Ambient Temperature Measurement】The Dr.meter intelligent wood moisture meter can not only measure the humidity of wood and building materials, but also it can measure 0-40 degree current environmental temperature with only +/-2 degree error.
- ▶【User-friendly Design】Designed with green backlight display, reading hold on function and measurement signal bar display for more intuitive measurement tips, the digital moisture detector is more user-friendly. A bonus nylon storage bag is provided to store the product conveniently.
- DETECT MOISTURE- Determine the moisture content of softwood, hardwood and other building materials (like drywall and masonry) or check water damaged areas to see if moisture is still present
- PROTECT WORK SURFACES - there are no pins on this tool, so your walls and projects can be saved from pinholes, scuffing and scratching to figure out their moisture levels
- VISUAL AND AUDIBLE ALERTS - if you’re looking for the source of a leak behind your work surfaces, listen for the high pitch tones to give you an accurate read on where moisture is most concentrated or quickly see using the tricolor LED moisture indicator
- DEEP READS - even without pins, this tool can read the moisture levels up to a 3/4 inch deep into the surface with an overall Measurement range of 0 to 53% for softwood, 0 to 35% for hardwood and relative readings for wallboard and masonry.Operating temperature: 32° to 122°F (0° to 50°C) @ <80% RH
- EASY TO READ AND USE- Auto-calibrating, 2-inch diagonal backlit LCD screen and a 3-color LED bar graph, HOLD button, auto power-off function, out of range alarm and low battery, 9V battery included
- Microcontroller circuit and LCD display
- Corrects for 48 individual species and temperature (F and C)
- Measures moisture content over the range of 6-40% averages up to 100 accumulated readings
- Popular among woodworkers, small shops, and furniture manufacturers
- One-year warranty
- Pinless Moisture Meter with electromagnetic field (EMF) technology allows for nondestructive detection of moisture content in building materials
- Drywall tool detects moisture content up to 3/4-Inch (19 mm) deep
- Easy viewing with bright reverse-contrast display
- Nine LED bars indicate moisture range
- Easy-to-select materials with mode button; drywall, masonry, hardwood, and softwood
- Measuring Range 6-45%
- Built in calibration
- Calibration for domestic species
- Measuring depth of 3/16" and 7/16"
- 18" Probe extra-rugged shaft made from aircraft aluminum
- Direct readout for % moisture and temperature
- Sturdy pistol-grip handle
- Item is a Class II laser product, 1mW power output.
- Customized thermal images: moisture, temperature, relative humidity, dew point, vapor pressure, mixing ratio
- Equipped with a laser and cross hair to easily reference the exact location of the potential moisture issue seen in the thermal image
- Field-replaceable temperature/relative humidity sensor
- Progressive Environmental Stability Indicator removes response time error when you move to different measuring locations
- Wide range of readings for wood of 5% to 30% on hardwood scale and 0 to 100 on comparative scale for GRP and other materials and battery operated (included).
- Three ranges for detecting moisture in GRP and hardwood for salt & freshwater.
- Identifies the presence of osmosis in GRP hulls and confirms if wooden boats are dry enough for painting or varnishing.
- Trace deck and bulkhead leaks and “Hold” function facilitates ease of recording readings.
- Soft rubber electrodes make direct contact without scratching and high moisture audio warning tone that can be switched on or off.
- Item is a Class II laser product, 1mW power output.
- Field Replaceable Temperature and Relative Humidity Sensor
- Integrated IR Thermometer provides fast non-contact surface temperature measurements
- Remote pin-type probe (included) allows for contact moisture readings
- Large LCD screen clearly displays moisture, humidity and air temperature levels.FLIR Tools Mobile connects the FLIR MR77 to your compatible smartphone and table via Bluetooth
Moisture Meters Buyer Guide
Before buying a hygrometer, it is good to know if, in addition to the humidity and temperature values, you also need the detection of other data concerning the environment or the object to be analyzed.
On the market, there are multifunction models that are able to acquire other values as well, such as the PH level of a material, the illumination of a field, the acoustic quality of an area, or a room.
If you need to use the hygrometer in the home, it will not be necessary to spend too much on an expensive tester, but if instead, you have to use it for professional reasons, then you will have to opt for a more sophisticated model with a particularly wide measuring range.
In fact, the standard detection range for a professional hygrometer is generally from -30 ° C to 70 ° C for temperature and from 5% to 98% for humidity.
In addition, the tolerance level for measuring a professional model should be zero, precisely because greater precision is needed.
Like any self-respecting electronic device, many hygrometers are also equipped with wireless functionality. It is possible to remotely control the humidity level of the house, so as to adjust it according to one’s own needs with specific tools such as air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and humidifiers.
The wireless hygrometers can be controlled directly with the app, where you can select the settings from your smartphone or tablet. It is possible to activate an SMS alert service, which warns the user when there are significant changes in the humidity level.
Some models send the warning message not only to the primary user but also to other indicated persons. For example, if the homeowner fails to receive the alert, it will be sent to the children, partner, or other people living in the house.
The choice of hygrometers also depends on additional features. In addition to measuring humidity, some models are also capable of monitoring temperature.
In this case, we speak of Thermo hygrometers, and the price tends to rise. Modern technologies, however, now allow you to have Thermo hygrometers even at a good price if you do not require great precision.
The more precise models that combine the two functions are instead indicated above all for professional use.
The functions also include the display, which can give additional indications such as the time, date, and precisely the temperature. A backlit display can be very useful for reading the humidity level even in a dark room.
Another feature to consider is data logging. Some models have rather low memory and are able to detect data from a single day. This function is not important for those who stay at home all day and can monitor the hygrometer constantly. Instead, it is essential for those who stay out all day.
In this case, it is advisable to purchase a hygrometer capable of storing the measurements of several months, so as to calibrate a uniform humidity level for your needs.
Method of Use
Knowing the humidity level of the air inside your house could be very useful for understanding certain things, such as in case you notice strange odors of mold or the humidity level is too high; then you will have to ventilate the room or find any water infiltration.
In this way, you will intervene in advance saving time and money due to a structural or environmental anomaly. Thanks to this tool you will be able to adjust the boiler to the right level of heat emission, avoiding that the air is too humid or too dry.
Furthermore, if you are a cigar enthusiast, you will surely know that these are kept well, always maintaining the right level of humidity. This value is even more important in a museum, in a library or in an archive, where paper documents and works of art are kept.
The applications of a hygrometer are really many and range from agriculture to construction depending on the type of functions that the device offers.
Structure and Handle
Another important factor to consider before purchasing a moisture meter is the quality of the materials. Make sure that the tester is well made and that the manufacturer is reliable, always reading the technical data sheets of the various products.
It is not said that the most expensive hygrometer is the best and for this, it is useful to evaluate the reviews of the various users.
The device must have a clear and clearly legible display, which gives the opportunity to always have an eye on all the values acquired. The interface must also be practical and intuitive, so as not to waste too much time during the settings.
The handle of the instrument must be comfortable and easy to handle to facilitate you during the various measurements and the data detection probes must be solid and robust.
In fact, there are some hygrometers which, thanks to the pointed pins, are able to penetrate the wood to acquire the internal level of humidity.
The Humidity in The House
Let’s focus on the level of humidity that should be in the house. The values considered optimal oscillate between 40 and 55%. If the rate is not within this range, then there are two things: the climate is too dry or too humid.
In the first case, the critical threshold is 20% of humidity while in the second it is 60%. In this case, the consequences are condensation and mold formation.
For the correct operation of the moisture meter, attention must be paid to its position. Avoid placing it in a corner, rather than position yourself in a well-ventilated place.
Attention must also be paid to the height: the instrument must be between 100 and 150 cm from the ground. Keep in mind that the humidity varies between morning, afternoon, and evening.
The Humidity Alarm
It can be very important to be aware of when the humidity in the air exceeds a certain threshold. To do this, many meters are equipped with an alarm that must be set according to your needs, taking into account the maximum humidity limit that you consider tolerable.
Mold is far from healthy for health, some models of hygrometers allow you to set a risk warning. If the threshold is exceeded, the user will be immediately notified by the instrument.
But why is it so important to prevent mold growth, in addition, of course, to wanting to preserve the aesthetics of the home? Mold can cause several respiratory problems. As it is easy to imagine, the subjects most sensitive to the problem are children.