In this guide we will try to help you precisely in this sense, indicating all the variables that you will encounter during the purchase, and which will lead you to the right helmet for your needs.
But before starting to analyze all aspects of motorcycle helmets, it is good to remember the importance that this accessory has. We know that the helmet is mandatory by law, so anyone who decides to use a motorcycle, but also a scooter, must wear one before driving.
Here we had listed out the best quality of motorcycle helmets that are given below.
- 2 Visors Included: Clear + Smoked and 1 Neck Scarf for Winter Use
- Streamlined Aerodynamic Design Reduces Wind Noise and Drag
- Advanced and Lightweight Durable ABS Shell
- Quick Release Clasp and Strap and Removable Inner Lining Pads
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
- High Resistance ABS Shell With Micrometrically Adjustable Strap
- Meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
- Helmet Liner / Cheek Pads are Lightweight, Soft and Easily Removable and Washable
- Sleek and Lightweight Design Reduces Wind Noise
- Modular Flip-Up Function Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fog and Wide View Clear Visor
- Boasting a compact, aerodynamic DOT shell design with sharp and aggressive styling for impeccable impact protection to excel whether short-distance street performance or long-distance touring comfort.
- Multiple conscientiously designed ventilation panels effective in streamlining the cooling process to assist with freshening the rider's experience. Large lower vent shutters for ease of use with riding gloves.
- Trendsetting springs for precise functionality ensuring a superior wind and water sealant layer. Unique 3D molded shield designed to ensure a distortion-free view throughout the entire field of vision.
- Removable Breath Guard rerouting the rider’s breath to reduce shield fogging. Inserted Chin Curtain designed to reduce wind turbulence and noise. Quick-Release Chin Strap for effortless usage.
- Fully removable, washable, and replaceable microfiber inner material that absorbs sweat without compromising comfort or security. Plus the GLX One-Year Limited Manufacturer .
- Quick Release Chin Strap, Easily Get It On and Off
- Top Quality ABS Shell, DOT FMVSS N218 Approved for Motorcycle Riding, Cycling and Other Outdoor Sports
- Quality Improved Integrated Drop Down Sun Visor, Removable and Replaceable
- Premium Venting Reduces Heat at The Top of The Head
- Solid Flat Black / Gloss Black Design Suitable for Men and Women
- Advanced LG Polycarbonate Shell: Developed exclusively by Scorpion, our industry-leading polycarbonate shell is engineered to minimize weight and disperse impact. Dual Density EPS. Aero-Tuned Ventilation System
- EverClear SpeedView Drop-Down SunVisor: Retractable tinted sun-visor that eases eye strain instantly in varying light conditions. EverClear coating is applied to both sides for a fog-free ride. Comes with dark smoke installed and an additional clear visor for night-time riding.
- KwikWick II Comfort Liner: KwikWick II fabric keeps you cool and dry in warm weather, warm in cool weather Liner is easily removable and washable.
- Removable Rear Comfort Sleeve Included. Removable Front Mask with Neodymium Magnets. Double D-Ring Chin Strap System. Block-off Plates Included For Use In 3/4 Mode. 5 Year Warranty
- DOT FMVSS No. 218 Certified
- Trimatrix Composite Shell Construction
- Bell Protint Photochromic Shield Technology
- Magnefusion Magnetic Cheek Pads
- X-Static XT2 Silver Liner
- DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard
- RETRACTABLE VISOR - Helmet is equipped with a retractable, tinted sun visor so that you don’t have to carry sunglasses with you. The visor can be retracted into the helmet when not needed. When retracted, the visor is almost invisible in the overall helmet design.
- ADJUSTABLE CHIN STRAP - The helmet has an adjustable quick release chin strap equipped with sliders around the ear-loops in order to accommodate for any head size or shape. The straps are easily adjustable and, when adjusted correctly, provide maximum protection with maximum comfort.
- DOT FMVSS.218 CERTIFIED - The helmet meets all requirements for DOT FMVSS.218 certification and every batch of helmets undergoes random quality checks in order to make sure the highest quality product is the one your receive.
- CLASSIC HALF HELMET DESIGN - The helmet has a classic half-helmet design reminiscent of early riding helmets. Coming in matte black or glossy black, this helmet will look sleek with any bike.
- LIGHT WEIGHT AND SMALL FOOTPRINT - The helmet is incredibly light weight, weighing in at around 2.08 lbs. The helmet’s small design means that it can easily be slipped into a backpack, under a bike seat or carried under your arm without any effort.
- Full Face Helmet. DOT Approved
- Advanced ABS shell with high pressure thermoplastic technology.
- Multi Density EPS liner.
- Ventilation system with top and rear extractors liner.
- Fully removable and washable interior liner.
- Bluetooth 3.0 Technology. 8 Hours of Talk Time and 110 Hours of Standby. Fully Washable Microfiber Liner and Adjustable Vents. This Helmet May Run 1 Size Smaller Due to Built-in Bluetooth Module. The size of this helmet: M: 55-56CM, L: 57-58CM, XL: 59-60CM.
- One Touch Control for Calling, Answering, Rejecting Incoming Calls and Redialing. Incoming Phone Call Overrides Intercom, Music, FM Radio and GPS Navigation Audio.
- Supports a Max distance of up to 1000 Feet Between Two Riders Using the Intercom. 2 High Quality Built-in Speakers with Full Stereo Sound.
- Meets or Exceeds DOT Safety Standards. DSP Echo Cancellation and Noise Suppression Technology Offers High Quality Voice at High Speeds.
- Known issues with the Bluetooth System -- When the helmet Bluetooth system hasn’t been used for a long time, the battery will enter deep sleep mode. During this time, Bluetooth mode may not be available. To wake the battery up, charge the battery for about half an hour. After this charge, Bluetooth functionality will be restored.
- Open Face 3/4 Design Shell Offers Protection Combined with a Wide Field of Visibility Prevents That Claustrophobic Feeling.
- Dual Visor Design :inner Retractable Smoked Visor + Outer Clear Shield.
- Inner Lining Pads Are Fully Removable and Washable, So You Can Keep It As Fresh As New.
- Fully Adjustable Flow-through Ventilation Gives You Control over the Elements.
- DOT FMVSS 218 Approved for US Safety Standard, Street Legal.for Both Men and Women.
Buyer Guide to Choose Motorcycle Helmets
Although the design, together with the price, often contributes to determining the purchase of a helmet, we must not forget that safety is the fundamental aspect to be taken into account.
But how can you be sure of the reliability of a particular model? It is necessary to check the homologation that is specified on the label, so we must be wary of helmets that are sold without.
It is also possible to obtain some useful information on the characteristics and manufacture, as long as you know how to decipher the cryptic abbreviations that are reported.
The wording that should never be missing is ECE 22-05, which corresponds to the most recent European homologation and indicates compliance with the most stringent regulations, the most suitable to guarantee maximum safety for the motorcyclist.
It is rather interesting to understand what tests helmets are subjected to in order to receive this certification. In fact, a series of tests are carried out to test the response of the device in certain situations and climatic conditions.
The helmet must pass tests of impact, rigidity, penetration (relative to the visor), and resistance of the strap, both in normal conditions and after being subjected to high and frigid temperatures and to the action of water, solvents and UV rays.
A further indication is that relating to another type of test, identified by the abbreviation Snell M2010, which does not replace those for homologation but, in a certain sense, integrates them, so a model that should have passed these tests too proposes as one of the safest on the market.
Have you already decided which type of helmet to choose? There are two options available because you can choose between an opening model and a completely closed or integral one.
For those who use the scooter mainly for small trips or in summer, the best brand could be the one that makes jet or demi jet models because they ensure a greater passage of air on the face which is very pleasant in the hot season. These helmets are also lighter, more compact, many have no problems being stored in the saddle pad or in the top case and can be worn in an instant.
If, on the other hand, you use your helmet even in winter or to move on large communication roads or highways, the air on your face is no longer pleasant and, with increasing speed, you have to deal with the sound of the wind that it can become really annoying, as well as with humidity, rain, and insects.
The modular helmet is a solution preferred by many because it protects effectively even in winter and at a high pace, but in summer it allows you to move with the chin guard open, as long as it has the PJ approval.
Compare prices, homologation, and type but pay close attention to the size of the helmet you are about to buy. First, you need to measure the circumference of your head using a soft tape measure and passing it slightly above the ears, 2.5 cm above the eyebrows.
The measure thus obtained must be compared with the tables that you should always find indicated in the helmets of each manufacturer. The sizes available range from XXS, which corresponds to 51-52 cm, up to XXL, 63-64 cm. Not all companies, however, always have various measures available.
Light and Safe
Despite being very safe, this helmet model is also light: in fact, the outer shell was made with a mix of carbon and fiberglass, highly resistant materials but famous for their very low specific weight.
Even at high speeds, you can rest assured about head and neck stability. For this reason, AGV has provided a spoiler that gives the helmet the right aerodynamics that can be assessed when opening to full throttle.
In order not to hear the annoying wind noise when the speed is high, for this model AGV has prepared new anti-wind protection that reduces noise to a minimum. The closure present is a “two-ring” model which is among the safest on the market even if it requires a little practice to unfasten and fasten the helmet quickly.
In the rich equipment of the helmet, which also includes a convenient carrying bag, there is a Pinlock visor that can be installed inside the main visor to ensure that this does not cloud when the air intakes (especially the one chin level) is closed to prevent cold air from entering. On sunny days you can count on the sun visor that can be made to disappear inside the shell when not needed.
How to Use a Motorcycle Helmet?
The helmet does a great job of protecting the head and neck and can save lives in the event of a fall. He, therefore, is a very important function and it is for this reason that wearing it is mandatory when riding a motorcycle or scooter.
However, choosing it and using it in the right way is essential in order to ensure maximum protection. Wearing it in the wrong way or in a size other than your own limits its functionality and at the same time puts us in danger.
Choose the Right Size
The first step towards a correct use concerns the choice of size, for this, you need to measure the circumference of your head. A helmet that is too tight becomes very uncomfortable, while a helmet that is too wide is dangerous, so you have to be precise and choose according to your needs. It shouldn’t take much effort to put it on and take it off, and once worn it doesn’t have to be heavy and overwhelming.
Which Closure System?
The helmets are sold with their instruction booklets, which contain the characteristics of the product, including the part concerning the air intakes and the use of the closure they are equipped with.
There are two locking systems: double ring and quick release. The latter is the most practical, but you have to adjust it carefully before putting on the helmet; while the ring one is safer and is present in helmets used on motorcycle tracks and by professionals of the trade.
The Importance of The Visor
The visor is always present in full-face helmets and is what allows you to see the road protecting the eyes from the wind. Depending on your needs, you can keep it open in hot weather and close it in winter.
If you want maximum protection, it is better to keep it closed and take advantage of the air vents for recirculation and internal ventilation. In case you choose a demi-jet model, you will have the possibility to protect the face up to the height of the nose, thus always leaving the chin and mouth uncovered.
Safety Is Everything
The helmet performs the function of protecting the head, as long as you choose an approved product, complete with the wording ECE 22-05, or the type approval that indicates compliance with current European standards, in order to guarantee maximum safety.
To be able to obtain this certification, the helmet must have undergone rigidity and impact resistance tests in various conditions. The presence of this wording is therefore synonymous with reliability, and it is for this reason that we recommend buying only the products that have it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Choose a Motorcycle Helmet?
Choosing the right motorcycle helmet essentially depends on what type of motorcycle you drive. Generally, those who ride a road or touring model should prefer a full-face helmet that more than others allows you to have the right protection even in the face area and that does not allow the incoming air to be annoying.
Those who move in city traffic by scooter can opt for demi-jet helmets that have the front part uncovered if not protected only by a visor. There is clearly nothing to prevent scooter drivers from using a full-face helmet.
To meet the needs of those who want a middle ground there are the so-called “opening” helmets approved both as demi-jet and as full face. They have the particularity that the chin guard can be raised and rotated behind the helmet to transform it from demi-jet to full-face in a few seconds and, of course, vice versa.
How to Paint a Motorcycle Helmet?
There are certainly few motorcyclists who would like to make their helmet unique. This operation is quite simple to perform, but like all these types of intervention, it requires discreet manual skills and certainly a lot of imagination.
First, you need to create a drawing of what you would like to actually see on the helmet. Once the subject has been chosen, it is necessary to create a stencil, that is a “mask” with the “negative” design which, once applied on the helmet and colored in the empty parts, will offer the design designed on the helmet.
The stencil is important because it simplifies the realization, especially for those who are not accustomed to freehand drawing. The colors to be used are those for outdoor use that are easily found in any hardware store. Of course, brushes are also needed.
How Long Does a Motorcycle Helmet Last?
There is no actual helmet life. Some companies guarantee it from 5 to 7 years based on the production date (attention, not purchase!). This could be a problem because “finding” this date seems to be very difficult. In general, if we consider wearing, on average, a helmet has a duration of 5 years.
Much depends on the use and how it is stored. A factor that greatly affects wear is the heat, and a helmet may be kept in the trunk for many hours in the sun certainly wears more than one kept in the shade and at home.
Another enemy of the helmet is the salty air, so those who drive in sea areas will probably have a more worn helmet than those who live in the mountains. Obviously, in the event of an accident or any obvious dents, the helmet must be replaced immediately.
How to Wash a Motorcycle Helmet?
No special products are needed to wash the outer shell of a motorcycle helmet. In fact, a soft sponge and lukewarm water are enough to make it shiny immediately.
If there are many midges or other insects, it is advisable to moisten the part must the poor insect has stuck, wait half an hour, and then pass the sponge soaked in warm water. If the helmet allows it, it is also possible to wash the interior.
By following the instructions to remove them from inside the helmet, these can be left to soak for a day in a basin with a couple of spoons of baking soda inside. The rinsing is done with water and lemon (together, in another bowl) and then dried in the open air.