Selenium is a very important chemical element, an element present in the nutrition of every known life form. As you know, Selenium is a trace element of primary importance for the well-being of the whole organism, its atomic number is 34 and its symbol is Se. Within our organisms, it performs extremely important biological functions.
One of its capabilities, which has become very famous for obvious reasons, is that of having a great antioxidant effect, protecting cells from the attack of the notorious free radicals, going to counteract the effect deriving from oxidative stress.
Here we had selected the best selenium supplements that are really high in nutrition.
- ESSENTIAL MINERAL/100 mcg TABLETS: Selenium is an essential trace mineral that is found naturally in Brazil nuts, organ meats,...
- YEAST-FREE: Take 1 tablet 1 to 2 times daily with food.
- CLASSIFICATIONS/CERTIFICATIONS: Vegan, Soy Free, Non-GMO, Kosher
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined,...
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968.
- Immune Support: Selenium helps protect normal cell function and provides support for the immune system.*
- Healthy Blood Flow: Selenium is required for the production of certain prostaglandins which promote healthy blood flow.*
- Antioxidant Support: Helps protect normal cell function by scavenging free radicals.*
- Pure Quality: Our supplements are made with only premium ingredients sourced from trusted suppliers and guided by our nutritional...
- Pure Difference: What makes us different isn't just our process or what goes into our supplements -- what we leave out matters,...
- Country of origin is United States
- The package dimension of the product is 2.5"L x 2.5"W x 3.2"H
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers'...
- Thyroid Health: Selenium supports normal thyroid function in healthy individuals and is important for the proper functioning of...
- Antioxidant: Because selenium is an antioxidant it helps reduce oxidative damage in the body caused by toxins, smoking, alcohol...
- Essential Nutrient: Selenium is an essential nutrient to help maintain optimal health and wellness
- Free From: Doesn't contain gluten, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, dairy, soy, fish, or shellfish
- Trusted: Thorne is chosen by champions and trusted by 100+ pro teams. Thorne is the only supplement manufacturer to collaborate...
- High Quality & Great Value: Bronson Basics Selenium provides 200 MCG of Selenium per tablet to support a healthy immune system.*...
- Immune & Antioxidant Support: Fruits and vegetables are quality sources of selenium, but the amount of the mineral in the food...
- Superior Quality: Laboratory tested Non-GMO, Gluten-Free and Soy-Free. Bronson products are in-house tested and carefully...
- cGMP Premium Standards: Every product manufactured by Bronson is put through a rigorous process to ensure purity, potency and...
- TRUSTED SINCE 1960: The pioneers of Bronson Vitamins were a group of pharmacists who witnessed the benefits of vitamins and...
- SECRET WEAPON FOR LONGEVITY? Selenium is among several minerals found to be prevalent in some of the world’s longest-living...
- ADDRESS THIS AGING FACTOR - Each type of selenium in our formula helps your body fight against oxidative stress, a key factor that...
- THYROID, HEART & BRAIN SUPPORT - Selenium's ability to promote a healthy inflammatory response and quench free radicals has led...
- INGREDIENTS MATTER - Sourced using only the finest raw ingredients with the purity and potency your body deserves. The majority of...
- LIVE YOUR HEALTHIEST LIFE - For over 40 years, we’ve been developing advanced, effective formulas made with the highest...
- Support for the prostate and immune system
- Clinically studied dosage.
- Vegetarian friendly.
- These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat,...
- Each tablet provides you with 200 mcg of Selenium – the clinically studied dosage.
- ESSENTIAL MINERAL: Selenium is an essential trace mineral and element, most abundant in yeast
- POTENT FORMULA: Provides strong support with 200 mcg of selenium per tablet!
- ROOTED IN WELLNESS: Carlyle provides premium, honest supplements in your pursuit to healthy living
- CARLYLE MANUFACTURERS: Laboratory Tested, Trusted Ingredients, Superior Quality, 100% Guaranteed!
- VEGETARIAN FORMULA: Free of Gluten, Wheat, Lactose, Soy, Artificial Flavor, Preservatives & Non-GMO
Buyer Guide to Choose Selenium Supplements
Selenium Properties: What Are They?
Selenium is a mineral known to have several properties such as:
- it helps the male reproductive system and prevents the formation of prostate cancer.
- It is ideal for the treatment of bladder cancer.
- It improves the immune system and enhances it above all against infections.
- It helps the regular functioning of the thyroid because it transforms T4 into T3.
- It has a protective effect against heart disease.
Selenium is found mainly in fish and crustaceans (tuna, prawns, sardines, oysters and sole, herring, cod) and also in meat, especially in the liver, chicken, rabbit, beef, lamb, and duck.
In addition, selenium potatoes (grown by spreading this mineral at the time of fertilization), ricotta, zucchini, cabbage, garlic, onions, walnuts and tomatoes, and whole grains are rich in selenium.
Benefits of Selenium Supplements
On the market, you can find many types of selenium supplements and the best ones are those that contain this mineral in organic form, which allows greater bioavailability.
The absorption of selenium occurs in the small intestine and depends on its chemical form, for this reason, it is worth choosing selenium supplements in the L-selenomethionine form. These supplements should always be suggested by the doctor and taken in the recommended doses.
Supplements can provide several benefits to the body:
- Improve heart health, the presence of selenium in the body is linked to a lower risk of heart disease.
- They prevent prostate cancer in men.
- It enhances the immune system, boosts white blood cell levels, and increases resistance to infections.
- It is a powerful antioxidant that controls and neutralizes free radicals.
- It is an ideal mineral to treat bladder cancer.
The selenium supplements are ideal in the case of an unbalanced diet that does not allow to take this mineral enough. Generally, however, the supplements should be used only if recommended directly by the doctor.
The quantities of selenium to be taken every day are 55 mcg per day for people aged 14 years and over, 60 mcg per day for pregnant women. Children from 9 to 13 years of age need 40 mcg of selenium and the youngest, from 4 to 8 years of age, need 30 mcg of selenium every day. In general, a varied and rich diet of vegetables and fish allows access to the recommended doses of selenium for everyone.
Excess selenium can cause some side effects such as vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, confusion, brittle nails, and hair loss. The intake of selenium supplements should therefore always be limited in time and in strictly necessary doses, preferring balanced nutrition to bring selenium to the body.
How to Choose the Selenium Supplement
Dose to Be Taken with Selenium
Most selenium supplements are taken through capsules and in general it is sufficient to take only one to obtain the daily dose necessary for the human body, in any case before taking it you must always check the label to make sure how many capsules you have to take each day to reach the necessary daily dose and this can be known precisely by checking the label and description of the supplement before purchasing it
Size of Selenium Capsules
The larger the capsule size, the greater the difficulty in swallowing it. If swallowing capsules is a problem for you, you should understand how big they are before making a purchase. Some manufacturers draw the capsule’s natural size on the label, so before purchase, you will know exactly what size it has
Synthetic or Natural Food Supplement
Natural food supplements contain traces of real fruit and vegetables, while synthetic supplements are created in the laboratory. Some people say that natural food supplements are superior and therefore give better results, while others still say that synthetic supplements are able to work as well as natural ones.
Whether one or the other is better is often the one who hires them to give their final judgment, you should note, however, that natural food supplements usually contain less selenium in quantity compared to synthetic supplements created in the laboratory, so in a nutshell, it could taking multiple natural supplement pills to obtain the same amount of selenium present on a synthetic supplement
Selenium is generally a supplement that has a characteristic strong odor, but some manage to mask it better than others. The odor is perhaps not one of the most important characteristics, however, some people who are very sensitive to odors may have difficulty taking the supplement
Before taking selenium capsules to supplement your diet, read the instructions carefully, and do as written. If in doubt, contact your doctor before taking it to find out more about the dosages you need
If you get a stomach ache after taking the selenium supplement, try taking it on a full stomach or when you are already eating. Even if you had to choose the best selenium supplement you may notice some side effects such as brittle hair and nails, nausea, gastrointestinal problems, or nervous system problems. In this case, stop taking the supplement instantly and contact your doctor immediately.
Selenium, when taken in too high doses, can be toxic, so don’t take it lightly selenium supplement should be taken only after specific analyzes made by a doctor, it should never be taken without a valid reason.
If you suspect a deficiency of selenium then contact your doctor, and this will generally prescribe a test that can affect your hair, nails, blood, or urine, in this way you will know for sure if you need a selenium supplement or not.