Sooner or later, everyone happens to hear about iron supplements. In particular, women suffer from a condition known as anemia, whose main symptoms, tiredness and weakness, are due, in most cases, precisely to a reduction in the iron reserves in the blood.
Health and nutrition professionals often use iron supplements to treat anemia. Outside of the medical field, few people know the secrets of this food supplement. In our article, we will talk about iron and how to take advantage of this beneficial mineral. Keep reading!
Here we had listed out the best quality of iron supplements that are given below.
- Easy on the stomach
- Less constipation
- 65 mg elemental iron
- Iron is a necessary component of hemoglobin, the oxygen carrier in the blood*
- Iron supports energy utilization and normal red blood cell production*
- This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease
- Ingredients: Dried Ferrous Sulfate 205 mg (equivalent to 325 mg Liquid Ferrous Sulfate which provides 65 mg elemental Iron per tablet), Vegetable Cellulose, Crospovidone. Contains <2% of: Maltodextrin, Silica, triacetin, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate
- Advanced, Patented Form Of Iron; Solgar Gentle Iron 25mg is gentle on your system; Non-constipating, Stomach friendly iron supplement for women and men
- Enhanced Absorption Formulation; Helps promote iron rich blood; Iron is an important component of hemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen from lungs to all body tissues and cells
- Supports Energy Utilization; Iron promotes normal red blood cell production; Iron is a key mineral and essential nutrient for many biological functions
- Non GMO And Gluten Free; Solgar Gentle Iron 25mg Vegetable Capsules are suitable for vegans; Free of: gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, yeast, sugar, sodium, artificial flavor, sweetener, and color
- The Gold Standard: For over 70 years Solgar has been committed to quality, health, and well-being. Our mission is to create the finest nutritional supplements in small batches, through tireless research, using only the finest raw materials
- Plays a central role in energy production, immune system function, and neurological health
- NOW uses Ferrochel Iron Bisglycinate, which has clinically demonstrated superior absorption and is well tolerated because it is gentle and non-constipating
- Vegan / Vegetarian
- Soy free, nut free, dairy free, egg free
- An iron supplement for red blood cell support With added Vitamin C for absorption: This iron supplement contains both 100% of the recommended amount of iron plus 40 mg of Vitamin C to help absorption of this critical nutrient.
- An ideal iron supplement for women or men: each serving of this iron supplement contains 18 mg of iron (100% of the recommended amount) making it an ideal iron supplement for men or women.
- 60 Iron gummies for continued daily support: contains a 30-day supply (60 Iron gummies), 2 per day. Each gummy contains 9 mg of iron, so it's easy to increase or decrease your intake based on the advice of your healthcare practitioner.
- Delicious, high-quality iron gummies: these iron supplements contain no artificial flavors or sweeteners. No synthetic dyes. No high fructose corn syrup. Gluten-free. Each gummy comes in a delicious, natural Raspberry flavor.
- These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Increase Iron Levels Without The Nausea: Clinically shown to combat fatigue and improve energy levels without causing nausea or constipation; A gentle and effective source of iron
- Nourish Your Body: Delivers 26 mg of Iron; Includes folic acid and B12 for healthy red blood cell production; Safe for menstruating and pregnant women, teenage girls, vegans and vegetarians
- Farm Fresh Whole Foods: Crafted using our Slo-Food Process; Includes Beet Root and Vitamin C delivered together with organic oranges to support iron absorption; Take 1 tablet any time of day
- Obsessed With Quality: Made without GMOs, tested for 125+ herbicides and pesticides, Free of gluten, dairy and soy; Certified B Corp; Certified Glyphosate Residue Free; Certified Kosher
- Made With Real Food, And Real Purpose: Premium supplements made with real food and added nutrients; We work with trusted farm partners who share our commitment to organic and regenerative agriculture
- Added Vitamin C for Better Absorption; Designed for women, kids, and men.
- Added Essential Micro nutrients; We’ve added Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Folic Acid, Zinc and Vitamin B complex (B3, B5, B6, B12) to our iron chewable, vital nutrients that your body and brain need to stay fit and healthy, from childhood into adulthood and right the way through to old age.
- Grape Flavor; BeLive gummies are the easy way to take a daily dose of iron.
- 60 Chewable Gummies; Our BeLive iron gummies for kids and adults can assist with healthy pregnancy, better athletic performance, and energy.
- Quality Check at Every Stage; Blending, Processing, Testing, Bottling, Labeling, Follow up testing
- Supports Red Blood Cell Production
- Gentle on your stomach
- With Folic Acid, Vitamin B-12
- BOOSTED IRON ABSORPTION: Vitamin Code RAW iron pills contain 22mg of gentle whole food iron and whole food vitamins C, B-12, and folate to support iron absorption and utilization
- PROBIOTICS AND ENZYMES: Our vegan iron supplement includes a RAW probiotic and enzyme blend for digestive support
- ENERGY SUPPLEMENT: Our iron vitamins support blood & heart health, immune health, reproductive health, eye health, and mental & physical energy
- NATURAL COFACTORS: Vitamin Code iron supplements is made from 23 RAW fruits and vegetables together with natural food cofactors
- VEGAN VITAMIN: Our real food iron supplement is RAW, Vegan, Gluten Free, and Dairy Free with No Binders or Fillers
- Iron Gummies for Women, Men, & Kids - Each bottle contains 100 delicious chewable organic grape-flavored iron gummies that are an excellent source of Iron (Fe), Vitamin C, A, Vitamin B Complex (B3, B5, B6, B12), Folic Acid, Biotin, and Zinc. *
- All-In-One Multivitamin Supplement - Our iron supplements were created to help you maintain healthy iron levels. Iron is known to provide support for immune defense and alleviation of unpleasant symptoms of low iron levels such as anemia, fatigue, poor concentration, and muscle metabolism. *
- For Everyday Performance - Our iron gummies are easy to include in your routine and provide maximum benefits whether you are a high-performance athlete or a regular person looking for an easy way to maintain a healthy balance for mind and body. You will look forward to your daily dose of our delicious grape iron gummies! *
- Your Happiness Matters - Our customers are the heartbeat of our company and we will do whatever it takes to ensure your complete satisfaction. If you have any concerns or are not completely satisfied with your order, contact us as we are happy to help!
- Our products are made with quality ingredients in a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certified facility, holding the highest standards of production and safety. Our iron gummies are non-GMO, gelatin-free, Halal certified, vegetarian, and free of preservatives such as gluten, soy, eggs, dairy, nuts, or animal products. *
Buying Guide to Select the Best Iron Supplements
What Is Iron?
Iron is a metal present in large quantities in the Earth: it represents, in fact, about 5% of the Earth’sEarth’s crust. As for nutrition, this substance is indispensable in small quantities for the proper functioning of the human body. The cells of our organism strictly control their absorption, regulation, and metabolism.
Iron is involved in numerous processes in human biology. This mineral causes specific chemical reactions to take place and is an essential part of two proteins responsible for the circulation of oxygen and nutrients (myoglobin and hemoglobin). In the following list, we explain these functions in detail.
Enzymatic functions (chemical reagents): Among other things, iron plays an important role in the synthesis of DNA, in the formation of collagen, in the regulation of the immune system, in defense of the organism in front of microbes that cause diseases and in the regulation of blood pH.
Myoglobin formation: Myoglobin is a protein that stores oxygen in the skeletal muscles (which deal with voluntary movements) and in the myocardium (heart muscle). Thanks to iron, this protein can form properly and release oxygen to muscle fibers in the most necessary moments.
Hemoglobin formation: Hemoglobin has a structure similar to myoglobin. This protein is found in red blood cells, endowing them with the ability to transport oxygen to the tissues that need it and to remove the carbon dioxide resulting from cellular metabolism. For the formation of this protein, iron is needed.
What Symptoms Does an Iron Deficiency Cause?
An iron deficiency will negatively affect all the processes that depend on this mineral, in particular the formation of hemoglobin. When this blood protein reduces its synthesis, the number of red blood cells drops. This pathology is known as iron deficiency anemia. Its signs and symptoms are listed in the following list:
Mild Iron Deficiency Anemia
- Fatigue: Tiredness in the face of activities that previously did not involve any effort is usually one of the first symptoms of anemia. By reducing the amount of hemoglobin, the body’s tissues (including those of the muscles and the brain) receive less blood supply and are more prone to exhaustion.
- Pallor: Hemoglobin gives blood its characteristic scarlet color. An iron deficiency (and, therefore, hemoglobin deficiency) will make the skin pale. In dark-skinned people, this whiteness can be seen in the mucous membranes (for example, in the inner lining of the eyelids, which will appear whitish rather than pinkish).
- Headache: If the transport of oxygen and nutrients to the brain is compromised due to a lack of iron, recurrent headaches may occur.
Lack of concentration: Decreased brain oxygenation can make it difficult to concentrate on studying or working.
- Nails and Brittle Hair: The lack of blood supply to hair and nails will make their tissues fragile. Hair will lose shine and, if iron deficiency is severe enough, it can fall out. As for the nails, they will tend to break easily and can take on a concave appearance known as koilonychia.
- Strange Cravings: An iron deficiency can provoke the strange desire to eat ice, clay, EarthEarth, plaster, or the lime of the walls: it is how the body tries to recover part of the mineral it is lacking.
- Anxiety: The lack of tissue oxygen caused by iron deficiency can cause a state of nervousness and constant anxiety.
- Most Frequent Infections: Iron is essential for the proper functioning of the immune system. A deficiency of it will affect the function of white blood cells and complicate the destruction of microbes, which will cause more infections such as colds and gastroenteritis.
Severe Iron Deficiency Anemia
- Lack of Appetite: Anemia has been found to cause weakness and loss of appetite in some people. Eating less will further worsen anemia, creating a vicious cycle.
- Palpitations and Accelerated Heart Rhythm: The heart muscle will try to compensate for the drop in hemoglobin by increasing the frequency of the beats. This will increase the speed at which the blood reaches the various tissues of the body, but will cause tachycardia and palpitations.
- Restless Leg Syndrome: Iron deficiency anemia has been linked to a higher incidence of this unpleasant disease. Tingling in the legs occurs in this syndrome, which usually occurs during rest periods and can cause insomnia.
- In Children and Adolescents, Reduced Growth: Iron is essential for the proper development of younger people. If anemia is not treated early, it could endanger growth.
- Underweight Babies: Pregnant women with very severe anemias have been shown to give birth to children of lower weight and higher complication rates than healthy women. Mild anemia, however, is not a cause for concern and is not considered harmful to pregnant women.
There are different causes of iron deficiency. A poor intake of this mineral, a deficient absorption by the body, greater iron losses, or an increase in nutritional needs can determine the appearance of iron deficiency anemia. The population groups that present the greatest risks of presenting this deficiency are listed in the following list:
- Less iron intake
- Individuals who follow diets rich in carbohydrates and poor in products of animal origin (especially vegans and vegetarians)
- People who undergo low-calorie weight-loss diets
- People suffering from eating disorders
- Iron deficiency deficiency
- People with celiac disease
- People with Crohn’s disease
- People with ulcerative colitis
- Individuals who have undergone surgery with which part of the intestine or stomach has been removed (bariatric surgery or surgery to treat cancer, Crohn’s disease or colitis)
- Increase in iron losses
- Women with heavy menstruation or endometriosis
- People who lose blood due to various diseases (especially esophageal varices or colon cancer)
- Increased nutritional needs
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women
- Children and adolescents in the growing age
- People who play very demanding sports
- Stressed people (students in exam periods, workers in very demanding tasks)
In most cases, people who suffer from iron deficiency anemia are women of childbearing age because they lose large amounts of blood during menstruation. Anemias that appear in non-menstruating people can have more serious causes and should be studied in depth by a doctor.
Who Can Benefit from An Iron Supplement?
If symptoms of anemia appear, it is recommended that you seek medical attention to rule out potentially serious problems, such as colon cancer. Once it is ascertained that the deficiency of this mineral is due to an unbalanced diet or an increase in losses due to physiological causes, an iron supplement will be a useful addition to the diet.
Fortunately, young people, women with heavy menstruation, and vegans suffer from the most benign type of iron deficiency anemia, which is usually detected by a simple blood test. These people will greatly benefit from using an iron supplement, noting the following effects after treatment.
What Types of Iron Supplements Are There?
When buying a new iron supplement, you will find several preparations based on this mineral. The iron molecule is very unstable on its own, so it is necessary to combine it with other substances so that it does not degrade and lose its functions. In the following list, you will find more information on these substances.
- Ferrous Sulphate: This is the most popular iron compound, and that appears in most of the supplements of this mineral. Although it is an economical and safe product, it must be taken on an empty stomach so as not to impair its absorption. It can cause unwanted gastrointestinal effects.
- Ferrous Gluconate: This type of supplement contains two amino acid molecules that increase absorption so that it can be taken together with food. Besides, this substance involves fewer gastrointestinal discomfort than ferrous sulfate.
- Ferrous Bisglycinate: This supplement is more delicate with the digestive system of the most sensitive people. In general, fewer side effects will occur when using bis-glycinate.
- Other Preparations (lactate and Citrate): There are numerous combinations of iron and other substances (such as lactate or Citrate). In this case, it is recommended to choose supplements that offer ferrous iron (Fe II) instead of ferric iron (Fe III). The ferrous form of this mineral is more easily absorbed.
Besides, you can find combinations of iron and other nutrients, such as vitamin C (an antioxidant that can improve the absorption of this mineral), folic acid (another nutrient essential for the synthesis of red blood cells) and vitamin B12 ( a compound that tends to be missing in vegan diets). You can find more information about these substances in this blog.