Even if you own a desktop or laptop PC with the most potent SSD or NAS device out there, sooner or later, you will also need a portable and convenient USB stick. Today there are thousands in circulation to choose from and which differ in size, safety level, speed, and other characteristics that we will see.
Immediately consider that it is not worth buying a USB flash drive of less than 64 GB, simply because if you intend to move files to and from notebooks, you will need speed and a USB 3.0 connector (flash drives of at least 128 GB come supplied only with USB 3.0 connector).
If, in addition to laptops or desktop PCs, you also need to move files to and from portable devices, such as tablets and smartphones, consider memory sticks with a micro USB connector and a standard-sized USB connector. Here we will be listing the top 11 best smallest flash drives.
- Low-profile, compact plug-and-stay design
- Stores and transfer content quickly with USB 3. 1 performance up to 250MB/s read
- Securely protects files using DataVault Lite software, an advanced security solution with 256-bit AES encryption
- USB 3. 1 (Gen1) enabled; backwards compatible with USB 3. 0 and 2. 0 devices
- Backed by a 3-year limited product support
- Extremely compact, portable USB Flash Drive
- Confidently store, protect and transfer your videos, music, photos, or other files
- Available in 8GB, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB capacities [1GB = 1 billion bytes - Some capacity not available for data storage]
- SanDisk SecureAccess software(2) helps protect your private files
- Length: 16.7mm
- Width: 12.2mm
- Thickness: 2.3mm
- Weight: 0.8g
- Capacity: 64GB
- Length: 16.7mm
- Width: 12.2mm
- Thickness: 2.3mm
- Weight: 0.8g
- Capacity: 32GB
- A compact, plug-and-stay, high-speed USB 3.1 flash drive that’s ideal for adding more storage to laptops, game consoles, in-car...
- Simple, fast way to add up to 64GB of storage to your device [1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes - Actual user storage less]
- Read speeds up to 130MB/s(1) [(1) Write to drive up to 15X faster than standard USB 2.0 drives (4MB/s); USB 3.1 Gen 1 or USB 3.0...
- Write up to 15X faster than standard USB 2.0 drives(1)
- Move a full-length movie to the drive in less than 30 seconds(2) [(2) Based on 1.2GB MPEG-4 video transfer with USB 3.1 Gen 1 or...
- USB 3.0 connectivity and performance with USB 2.0 compatibility; requires USB 3.0 host device for optimum performance. USB-C...
- Transfer files quickly and easily between your USB-C equipped mobile device or laptop and other PC’s, no wireless connection or...
- Instantly add storage to your USB Type-C phone or tablet, so you have room to capture more photos, shoot more video or free up...
- Backing up those files to your PC is a snap, simply insert the flash drive into the applicable port (USB-A or USB-C) on your PC...
- Verbatim has been a trusted brand since 1969 and guarantees this product with a Lifetime Limited Warranty
- USB-C STORAGE ON THE GO: This sleek drive is supported by Samsung NAND flash and is incredibly compact to fit in the palm of your...
- PERFORMANCE WITH SPEED*: No need to choose between performance and reliability; Experience a fast, powerful flash drive that...
- ALWAYS CONNECTED**: USB-C is compatible across devices, including laptops, tablets, phones and cameras, with enough space for...
- TOUGH & TRUSTED***: Files stay secure, no matter the terrain; Samsung's flash memory technology makes the Type-C a trustworthy...
- WORLD'S #1 FLASH MEMORY BRAND: Experience the performance and reliability that you can only get from the world's number one brand...
- Elite-X Fit USB 3.1 Gen 1 Flash Drive, backwards compatible with USB 2.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1 offers identical performance as USB 3.0,...
- Amazing performance with read speeds up to 200MB/s, ideal for large files and demanding applications
- Transfer speeds up to 10 times faster than standard PNY USB 2.0 Flash Drives
- A compact, plug-and-stay flash drive that’s ideal for adding more storage to computers, in-car stereos, game consoles, and more
- Micro-sized, long stay, low profile design can remain connected to host devices or maximum convenience. No need to insert and...
- Redefine everyday file transfers with speeds up to 300MB/s
- Exceptionally compact USB flash drive for an unnoticeable, seamless fit, designed with a key ring to prevent loss
- Reliable and secure storage for your photos, videos, music, and files
- USB 3.1 flash drive with backwards compatibility (USB 3.0, USB 2.0)
- Compatible Devices: Television;Tablet;Laptop
- Dual Connectors: The USB-C port can only work on phones/tablets with OTG function. Please make sure your smartphone with OTG...
- Important: Default format of the drive is exFAT.Different phones may have different requirements for file formats, so format them...
- Fast Speed: High-speed USB 3.0 flash drive for fast data transfer, backwards compatible with USB 2.0, easy to complete the storage...
- You can use it to transfer your computer file or access files from Type-C devices, store and share your photos, videos and music...
- Easy to Use: Plug and play, no need any drive. New and high quality portable storage device, with keyring hoop, keep your digital...
- 【Instantly Expand Your Memory】Plug and work, no need to install any software. Add extra storage, and leave it in your laptops,...
- 【Integrated Design】Extremely compact and low-profile design so that it can long stay to remain connected to PC or laptop for...
- 【Reliable Performance & Durable】Stable and stay-put storage, to protect your private and important files, the seamless fit...
- 【Great for All Purposes】Support windows 7 / 8 / 10 / Vista / XP / Unix / 2000 / ME / NT Linux and Mac OS; Great for designers,...
- 【What You Get】2 Pack 64GB flash drive (with 2 lanyards) packing in a exquisite blister packet. Please note: The default format...
Buying Guide to Select the Best Smallest Flash Drives
Capacity and Speed
Among the different features that you should consider before buying the right product is, first of all, the capacity. The best brand pen drives are those that offer the user the broadest range of possibilities, including identifying the one that best suits their needs.
A good range could be from 8 GB to 128 GB; they are the most commonly used capacities. Those of 4 GB or less risk filling too quickly and prove insufficient; those, however, more extensive are intended for specific users such as players or enthusiasts.
On an 8 GB pen drive, for example, 1,000 to 4,000 photos can be stored based on resolution or seven MP4 movies. On a 120 GB, however, it ranges from 16,000 to 64,000 images or over 100 MP4 movies. What do you think your needs are?
Another factor you should consider is the speed of reading and writing. It is not only important to establish how many files to store on the pen, but also to understand how quickly they can be transferred to a PC or other medium. The most used standards are USB, 2.0, and 3.0.
The newer ones we will hear more and more about our first-generation USB 3.1 and second-generation USB 3.1. Speed is a necessary data, especially for those who often have to transfer large files and want to save time.
Program, Hood, Lightning
What are the other factors you should consider when buying the right pen drive? One of these could be the software that some manufacturers allow you to use after the purchase – be careful, in some cases, only for a month – useful for protecting your data.
These programs will enable you to create a particular folder where you can insert the files you want to keep secret and to access them only with a password.
Another aspect that you may consider necessary is the presence or absence of the cap that serves to protect the connector, which is essential to ensure a clean and trouble-free transfer. Some pen drives have a protection system that can do without the cap, which, given its small size, could be lost.
Other higher priced models have a lightning connector on the other end. It is used to connect the pin to your mobile device allowing you to increase the memory or, for example, to download images and videos directly on this support.
The design could also be an essential element for many users. Some pen drives can be personalized with the company logo or emblem of the football team to which you belong and could be an excellent gift idea even if, generally, they are available for orders of large quantities.
In other cases, the manufacturing companies have indulged in creating pen drives with more extravagant shapes or that can be attached to a key ring or chain. Read the review of the models below, and you can find some interesting suggestions.
The Best Pen Drives
Read our ranking to find out which pen drive to buy. In this list you will find those that we have selected for you among the many on the market, they are the most appreciated by consumers. Find out the sale price, the services offered and make a comparison, and you could find what you are looking for and end your search here, saving time and effort.
When you go to buy a USB stick, it is clear that the first things that come to mind are the capacity and the selling price. In reality, however, as we have mentioned before, many features must be taken into consideration before purchasing.
Although most USB flash drives use a type A connector, i.e., the standard rectangular and a rather large one, in reality, in recent months, other types of pen drives are spreading, capable of being used in the latest generation USB-C ports.
There are also some models equipped with a micro USB or Lightning connector, which can be used and connected directly to Android smartphones and iPhones and iPad. Also, read the guide about best sata cables.
Some models integrate two types of the connector so that they can be used both with computers and with smartphones and tablets.
One of the first factors to consider before buying a USB stick is the standard of belonging because it is precisely this detail that determines its theoretical maximum speed.
Nowadays, most devices and sticks support the USB 3.2 standard, which is characterized by a theoretical maximum speed that can vary from 5 Gigabit / s, which equals 625 MB per second, to 20 Gigabit / s, which equals at 2,500 MB per second.
Let it be apparent, however, that no pen drive is currently able to reach these real speeds. The higher the standard supported, the higher the data transfer speed (and the selling price).
At the end of this overview on the world of USB drives, it is essential to mention some particular USB flash drive features, which over the years have been equipped with some extra options to better adapt to the needs of use of each user, whatever the device on which it is intended. Use them.
The most exciting aspects, of course, are the practical ones that make the user experience not only simpler but also more efficient.