Three types of watches to cover all the needs of athletes. In this guide, we wanted to represent them all, but with an eye to saving. The market is constantly evolving.
But it does not always make sense to chase updates without asking whether the price at which they are offered corresponds to an actual qualitative leap. We propose some general criteria, which we hope will help those who compare prices and reviews on the net.
Right here we are providing you the latest and the most advanced smart sports watches that present below.
- Retina display
- Optical heart sensor
- Stores music, podcasts, and audiobooks
- ★【High Cost-effective Smart Watch 】- If you want a decent fitness tracker that adds a part of functions of a smartphone on your wrist but with limited budget,or if you want a nice watch that could go from casual to dressy for work,this watch will be a good choice for you.The HD full touch screen is responsive and accurate (brightness adjustable).7-10 days battery life,easy to set up,solid build and user friendly,it can give you exact data to motivate you to walk more, move more and know yourself
- ★【Smart watch for iPhone and Android Phones 】- Compatible with most iOS 8.0 & Android 4.4 above smartphones (follow this steps to check your cellphone version:settings-about phone).You can get text,call, calendar,email and smartphone app notifications,also support messages reading on this watch.
- ★【Waterproof Fitness Tracker with Heart Rate Monitor 】- Automatically track your all-day steps,calories,distance,24/7 heart rate,sleep quality.This watch is ip68 water-resistant,you can wear it when swimming with no worries.
- ★【 14 Modes Activity Tracker】- This watch supports 14 sports modes:walking,running,bicycle,hiking,climbing,badminton,workout,spinning,treadmill,yoga,basketball,football,tennis,dance to give you more detailed insights into your whole day activities;It can also connect to smartphone GPS for modes like Run or bicycle for more precise real-time pace & distance
- ★【More Practical Tools 】- This watch also added many practical functions like female health tracker,breath guide,do not disturb mode,up to 10 vibration alarm clocks,timer,stopwatch and music controller.
- Garmin Pay contactless payment solution lets you pay for purchases with your watch (available for supported cards from participating banks)
- Personalize your watch with thousands of free watch faces, apps and widgets from our Connect IQ store
- More than 15 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, swimming and more
- Monitor your fitness level with VO2 max and fitness made estimates, plus keep an eye on how you handle stress
- Get connected features such as smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, Live Track and more when paired with a compatible smartphone
- Heart Rate & Sleep Monitoring: Tracks real-time heart rate automatically & continuously and automatically tracks your sleep duration & consistency with comprehensive analysis of sleep quality data, helping you adjust yourself for a healthier lifestyle
- All-day Activity Tracking: Accurately record all-day activities like steps, distance, calories burned, active minutes and sleep status
- Multi-Sport Modes & Connected GPS: 14 exercise modes help you better understand specific activity data; Connect the GPS on your cellphone can show run stats like pace and distance and record a map of your workout route
- See Calls & Messages on Your Wrist: Receive call, calendar, SMS and SNS (Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter) notifications on display; never miss the messages that matter
- Built-in USB Plug: Easy to charge with any USB block and computer; no charging cable and dock needed; one single charge gives you up to 7 days of working time
- 1.39 Inch (46MM) AMOLED Display, Resolution: 454x454 HD: The AMOLED touchscreen supports slide and touch gestures. The 1.39-inch AMOLED HD display and multitude of invigorating watch faces, keep you plugged in to your world.
- 14-Day Battery Life, Play for 2 weeks: HUAWEI Watch GT 2e Bluetooth smart watch comes with HUAWEI's self-developed wearable chip Kirin A1, and intelligent power saving technology to provide up to 2 week of battery Life.
- 15 Professional Workout Modes: HUAWEI WATCH GT 2e provides precise and real-time tracking data for 15 professional sports including climbing, running, walking, swimming, cycling, triathlons, hiking, elliptical and rowing machine. It supports both GPS and GLONASS positioning systems, for meticulous route-tracking during outdoor workouts.
- SpO2 Monitoring, Stress Monitoring and Better Sleep Heart Rate Monitoring: HUAWEI WATCH GT 2e supports single-time Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor level measuring, helping us detect the level of oxygen in the blood whenever and wherever we need. While you sleep, the watch monitors your heart rate, analyses your breathing and awards a score on your overall sleep quality.
- Connection: Bluetooth 5.1, BLE / BR / EDR. Water resistance: 5 ATM water-resistant. System requirements: Android 4.4 or later; iOS 9.0 or later.
- ⌚【Best Fitness Tracker Watch for Your Health】Our fitness tracker health watch with heart rate blood pressure&SpO2 monitor will record your all-day activity,like steps taken,calories burned and distance traveled,it also have the function of sedentary reminder,drinking water reminder and sleep quality monitor.With this fitness activity smartwatch,you can have a healthier and more energetic life.
- ⌚【See Calls & Messages on Your Wrist】With this fitness tracker smart watch,you will never miss any important calls & message during meetings or workout,this smart bracelet watch can receive call & SMS from Facebook,Twitter,Whatsapp,LinkedIn,Instagram,Skype,Line,Wechat,QQ, etc.
- ⌚【IP68 Waterproof Smartwatch with Durable Battery】This fitness activity tracker sports watch is ip68 waterproof, you can wear it for bathing or swimming (no hot water or steam).With 200 mAh super-capacity battery,2 hours of charging time,when fully charged,the fitness watch activity tracker can be used for 5-7 days,and the standby time is 30 days
- ⌚【Customizable Watch face & Comfortable Silicone Band】1.28-inch,240*240 IPS high-pixel color touch screen,which uses zinc alloy + spherical toughened glass,makes this smartwatch sports tracker watch very clear and sturdy.There are nearly a hundred interfaces to choose from, you can also choose and set your favorite image as the watch face.The sports watch activity tracker uses sweat and dust resistant breathable silicone band, so it's very comfortable and stylish to wear.
- ⌚【Multifunctional Smart Watch with Wide Compatibility】This fitness activity tracker has 18 sports modes,and the features of weather information,music&camera control,alarm,stop watch,mindfulness decompression,menstrual cycle record,find phone,brightness adjustment,makes this sports watch activity tracker practical and comprehensive.The fitness smart watch activity tracker is compatible with Android and iOS systems, Android 4.4 or above, iOS 9.0 or above. Such as Samsung, Huawei, iPhone, etc.
- Garmin Pay contactless payment solution lets you pay for purchases with your watch (available for supported cards from participating banks)
- Personalize your watch with thousands of free watch faces, apps and widgets from our Connect IQ store
- More than 15 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, swimming and more. Case material : fiber-reinforced polymer with stainless steel rear cover
- Monitor your fitness level with VO2 max and fitness made estimates, plus keep an eye on how you handle stress (see garmin.com/ataccuracy)
- 1.39 Inch (46MM) AMOLED Display with 3D Glass Screen: Resolution: 454x454 HD. Bluetooth 5.1, 14 days for typical use battery. 5 ATM water-resistant.
- HUAWEI Kirin A1 Self-developed Chip: This smart watch comes with HUAWEI's self-developed wearable chip Kirin A1, and intelligent power saving technology to provide up to 7 days of battery Life.
- Bluetooth Call, Stay in touch: Thanks for the Bluetooth calling function of HUAWEI WATCH GT 2, you can make or receive calls during sports or when your hands are busy. Always stay in touch with your family or friends.
- 15 Workout Modes and Full-time Fitness Trainer: Multiple professional training courses from entry to advanced level are preinstalled on the watch, providing users with professional and effective guidance. Built with two positioning systems (GPS, GLONASS) together to detect more satellites, and increase positioning accuracy.
- Features of everyday life: Real-time Heart rate monitoring: HUAWEI TruSeen is now updated to version 3.5 to provide a more efficient and real-time accurate personal heart rate measurement. TruSleepTM 2.0 sleep tracking and TruRelax pressure monitoring. Supports notifications from SMS, Email, Calendar, and other social media applications. You can also use other features like Time, Alarm, Timer, Stopwatch, flashlight and Find My Phone.
- Powered by FirstBeat Analytics: Amazfit Stratos 3 provides in-depth analytics of the sport you play with data such as VO2Max, Training Load, Training Effect, Recovery Time, etc. by analyzing your heart rate and all fitness related data.
- Transreflective Professional Sports Display: Amazfit Stratos 3 adopts a 1.34-inch full round transflective MIP display perfectly suitable for outdoor use; the brighter the light is, the clearer the display looks. The four physical buttons enable you to browse through the features and control the device without using the touch screen.
- Dual Chip System: Stratos 3 is integrated with two main control chips and two operating systems and is suitable for both professional sports and daily life. 7-Day smart mode enables full functional mode supporting 80-sports modes and professional algorithms while 14-day ultra-endurance mode enables daily life functions.
- 80-Sports Modes: Amazfit Stratos 3 comes with 80 professional sports modes and provides rich workout data to satisfy various users’ needs.
- GPS Enabled: The integrated Sony GNSS chips support four different global positioning systems: GPS, GLONASS, BEIDOU and GALILEO. You can combine any two of them to form three different positioning patterns, which enhances the positioning speed and tracking accuracy.
- Beautiful, bright amoled display and up to five-day battery life in smartwatch mode; Up to six hours in GPS and music mode
- The broadest range of all-day health monitoring features keeps track of your energy levels, respiration, menstrual cycle, stress, sleep, estimated heart rate and more
- Easily download songs to your watch, including playlists from Spotify, Amazon music or Deezer (may require a premium subscription With a third-party music provider), and connect with headphones (sold separately) for phone-free listening
- Record all the ways to move with more than 20 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, pool swimming and more
- Get easy-to-follow, animated cardio, strength, yoga and Pilates workouts right on your watch screen. Smartphone compatibility-iPhone, Android
- Heart rate tracking - Maximize your workouts with continuous heart rate and in-depth reporting plus daily and overnight HR
- Workout mode w/connected GPS: Maps your session with distance, elevation and pace and now enjoy Strava integration
- Fitness level - Assesses your cardiovascular capacity when running based on V02 max estimation
- Goes the distance - Water resistant up to 50m, 25 days of battery life on one charge, durable stainless steel case
- Sleep tracking - Wake to a Sleep Score based on light & deep sleep cycles, interruptions, depth & regularity plus enjoy a silent vibrating alarm
- The new Moto 360 Smart watch - meticulously designed, premium engineering, Wear OS by Google for Android and iPhone support. - Named the "best looking smartwatch you can get right now" - PCMag
- Exceptional design and durability - Crafted from premium materials: industry leading scratch resistant glass, latest heart rate monitor with a 3ATM rating presented in a SUS316 stainless steel body sealed with titanium screws and coated in an ultra-hard scratch resistant PVD coating. - “What makes it different is the materials and build quality” - Digital Trends
- Extended Battery Life - Industry Leading Battery with lightning fast charging in under 60 minutes, sustain up to two days of full usage: always on screen, apps, GPS tracking, notifications or music.
- All your favorite apps on WearOS - Spotify, Google Music, Google Pay, Shazam, Viber and many more. The latest GPS, heart rate and step counting technology, with seamless compatibility whether you are an iPhone or Android user.
- Track your workouts - Built in with the latest GPS, heart rate and step count technology means seamless compatibility with Google Fit, Strava, Adidas Running, Nike Run Club and many more of your favourite health monitoring apps.
- Gear Sport is swim ready and water resistant up to 50 meters/5ATM
- Get accurate, all day fitness tracking, easy calorie entry and personal coaching
- With Samsung Pay NFC compatibility, easily make a payment from your wrist
- Check your updates and receive and reply to calls and texts with a turn of the bezel; Wi Fi : 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz
- Compatible with Android and iOS smartphones.Main Display Size:1.2 inch
Smart Sports Watches Buying Guide
Watch or Bracelet?
The difference between a bracelet and a Smartwatch catches the eye: the former is designed to annoy as little as possible, perhaps to the detriment of the readability of the dial.
The latter are small computers in all respects, with a pleasant and customizable design, but still bulkier. To find your way among the buying advice, you need to choose the right questions to ask yourself. And the first is: what do I need?
If the imperative is to measure, but not overdo it, and the incoming and outgoing messaging functions are of interest to you, then it is better to aim for bracelets.
If, on the other hand, you are looking for an object that can accompany you in training as a small wrist instructor, high-end sports watches are for you.
Finally, if the measurement of athletic performance is only one of the functions you want to find in a Smartwatch, and you don’t want to neglect all the daily activities of leisure and work, which usually pass by a smartphone, perhaps you should think of a complete watch.
So far, it is a matter of pure academy because, as mentioned, the markets tend to evolve towards a junction point, even if structural differences will always remain evident.
A smartwatch costs on average more, but even a bracelet, if it is of good quality, can have a significant price. As with any digital object, quality is measured on both the programs and the hardware front.
Watch out for those three.
Let’s see in more detail the features to check before deciding which sports watch to buy. When doing sports, everything we have on us must offer the maximum possible comfort, even a wristwatch, and the bracelets seem unbeatable on this front.
And yet, the most advanced products can make workouts simpler and more effective. A 4 or 5 cm screen with a weight of about 50 grams, after all, should not be a particular nuisance for runners, cyclists, and swimmers, especially after a short break-in period.
If we carry out outdoor activities, it is better to check that the screen is backlit and easily readable in different light conditions. At the same time, for pool lovers, real impermeability to water is essential: resistance to 5 atmospheres, about 50 meters deep,
it should be a total guarantee. A Smartwatch that will become in all respects our watch in everyday life must adapt to our aesthetic taste, on average different for men and women, as well as guarantee reliable energy autonomy.
The presence of an integrated GPS significantly improves the step counting function, as well as accurately measuring the distances traveled and providing altitude in the absence of an altimeter.
Be careful though, the use of the GPS, during a workout or a race, reduces the battery life: if normal use of the watch, with the exchange of messages and emails, allows autonomy of at least 4 or 5 days, the locator satellite can reduce this value to a few hours.
Since these devices often rely also on external apps loaded on mobile phones, it is necessary to check their compatibility with the models in our possession, and of course, the efficiency and ease of use.
The calculation of the heart rate is not yet as precise as that obtained with a chest strap, which, however, has the disadvantage of being more annoying and less plastic.
Finally, some watches interface with specific sensors for those who swim or, for example, cycle, to accurately time strokes and pedal strokes.
Even golf enthusiasts can find the model tailored for them, capable of showing the green on display. Even a detail can reveal how to choose a good sports watch …
How It Works and How to Use a Sports Watch
Bracelets or Smartwatches that are, “auscultate” our body when it is in motion and, thanks to the software, measure the calories we burn, the kilometers we grind, the speed we reach, the lactic acid that we produce.
But how do they do it? And above all, are they reliable? Let’s try to answer, on the trail of the best sports watch.
The Pedometer, or The Accelerometer
It is not at all useless, even for a fair comparison between the products on the market, to ask how a wristwatch can count our steps. The “magic” occurs thanks to an accelerometer, a device that can perceive and record the oscillations of our arm on different axes.
From a mechanical point of view, it is a small sphere, whose movements are captured by sensors and translated into data. These data are often crossed with the information of a GPS capable of calculating, with a defect of a few meters, our displacements.
For these measurements to be more accurate, some information must be entered manually, such as the length of our stride (sometimes extracted from our height).
If it works? It depends on the quality of the accelerometer and the software, but in general, this combination of data gives a plausible result. In the absence of a GPS, the values can be more fraudulent: it is quite clear that even when stationary, our arm performs a series of oscillatory movements.
Not surprisingly, there is a fair number of apps that measure steps and running, with which sports watches can interface. These programs usually provide users with a series of progressive goals, thus serving as a digital personal trainer.
Beware of The Heart
Wrist heart rate monitors, including Smartwatches, measure the speed of your heartbeat thanks to green LEDs and sensors, positioned on the strap. The blood, notoriously red, repels the frequency of the green color.
The sensors are thus able to measure how much blood we are pumping based on the quantity of green that is “reflected.” It looks like science fiction, but it works pretty well.
The system can be put at risk by particular wrist rotations or by specific pigmentation of the skin, natural or due to tattoos. For these reasons, it is considered differently reliable, depending on the sport practiced.
It can be considered efficient for running or cycling, but not too much for activities such as tennis or boxing (we always talk about training) and of course for swimming.
Calorie consumption is often combined with heart rate. This data, however, needs more information: the average speed at which our heartbeats.
The most advanced smartwatches, including models recommended by us, detect the heart rate at regular time intervals, creating an archive of information that will be useful for calculating stress.
It is a common opinion that heart rate monitors combined with a chest strap (and a Smartwatch can also be) are more precise. It is important to check that the beat frequency is constantly provided and readable on display, and not only at the end of the training.
It is clear, also in this guide to the best sports watches of 2020, that the specific software with which they mate can enhance or depress their qualities. Software that can be the athletes’ delight or their hell, depending on what they hope to achieve.
The complete applications, among those offered by the market, allow you to plan a workout in all its aspects. You can establish a distance and the times in which you want to travel.
The clock should warn us, by buzzer or vibration, when we have achieved the result, or “scold us” for missing it. In some software, and with some watches, it is possible to establish parameters such as the maximum heart rate you want to reach during a specific stretch or effort.
If you need motivation, there is software that will put you in competition with a digital athlete, based on customizable parameters, or with your best performances.
One of the watches recommended in this guide has been designed specifically for triathlon: a discipline that includes running, swimming, and cycling.
In such cases, it should be possible to jump from one sport to another and, therefore, from one scheduled workout to another, quickly and comfortably.
Most people don’t know what to do with most of the features made available by training software, but the same could be said of programs used by everyone, such as Word. Garmin Connect, for example, is particularly suited to the needs of runners and cyclists.
Thanks to the data collected by the GPS, it is possible to review the entire route, perhaps to reproduce it later. The information of the heart rate monitor can be compared to the different training phases, and the results obtained (times and distances) are comparable with those of other users who make them available online.
Polar Flow, the application associated with Polar watches, also guarantees these digital scenarios to all its users. It is a software designed to support athletes in every training phase: tracks, repeated, lightenings, fatigue peaks.
You can upload the program to mobile phones with iOS and Android systems, or computers. If you have software that you have used for a long time and with which you feel particularly comfortable, make sure that the device you are about to buy can talk to us.
What Is the Best Brand of Sports Watches?
As for the “pure” and high-end sports watches, there is a curious coincidence with the brands we used to associate with car GPS, now standard on all models: watches with the Garmin and TomTom brands are always excellent products, together with Polar.
If we talk about smartwatches not specialized in sports, we can venture that Apple continues to make the most interesting objects. Still, we should not underestimate the competition from Samsung, Asus, or LG.
The market has not exploded as someone thoughtlessly expected, and many companies have reduced expectations and investments in this sector.
What Do the Abbreviations Ip67 and Ip68 Mean for Some Smartwatches?
The acronym IP stands for International Protection: it is an internationally recognized certification that measures the resistance of electronic devices (from cell phones to watches) to dust or water.
The first digit, which follows the letters IP, measures protection from solid bodies of different sizes, for example, from dust (level 6), while the second defines the impermeability to water.
The measurement scale starts from 0 and goes up to 9. A watch classified as IP68 can be considered very resistant to water since the number 8 is assigned to devices that can remain immersed in water for over an hour, even at 3 meters of depth.
The corrosive effect of sea salt, however, is not considered by this measuring meter.
What Do the Abbreviations Glonass and Galileo Mean Next to The Gps One?
The abbreviation GPS (Global Positioning System) specifies the NAVSTAR satellite tracking system, created and managed by the United States Army. Although we all take it for granted, there is a remote possibility that it will be blocked by the US authorities, perhaps for security reasons.
No fear, in any case, since the Glonass system, based on Russian satellites, and that of the European Union, Galileo, is already active in Europe.
The systems currently connected to GPS are, in many cases, perfectly compatible with European alternatives. In some models of sports watches, it is already possible to “tune in” to one or the other.
What Are the Most Suitable Sports Watch Models for A Woman?
From a practical point of view, you must always pay attention to the size of the case, which would be better if it did not exceed 4 cm, and to its weight.
If you want some suggestions, you could evaluate, for Garmin, the Forerunner 245 music and Forerunner 45s models, or the competitors Polar m200 and Polar m370 (bracelet).
Straps in different colors can be easily purchased, and the digital layout of the dial is always available in different versions.
Is It True that Payments Can Be Made with Smartwatches?
Many sports watches integrate payment systems, usually proprietary, such as Garmin Pay, Samsung Pay, Android Pay, and Apple Pay, to allow sportsmen to be autonomous from their mobile phones.
It should be sufficient to place the monitor display on the merchant’s pos, as is now done with all new ATMs.