For sure, you have noticed that, for some time now, on the shelves of supermarkets, in the sweeteners section, there is a product that attracts your attention: stevia. It is a superfood, a natural alternative to sugar, also suitable for people who have diabetes or who are on a diet.
In reality, stevia is a plant that has the aim of sweetening our dishes, but healthily. Not surprisingly, it is known for its beneficial health effects, since it helps in the fight against widespread diseases such as hypertension or obesity.
Here we had selected the best stevias for you that are listed below.
- Plant based, zero calorie sweetener from the leaves of the stevia plant
- Low glycemic index suitable for individuals with diabetes
- Vegan and Kosher Certified, Naturally Gluten Free
- One packet is equal in sweetness to about 2 tsp of sugar
- Sweeten your hot and cold beverages, or sprinkle on your favorite recipes
- Less thank 1 gram of sugar per packet
- This product contains Dextrose, and Stevia Leaf Extract
- Zero-calorie sugar substitute made with stevia leaf extract, erythritol, and natural flavors
- Box contains 500 packets of Truvia Original Calorie-Free Stevia Sweetener
- One packet provides the same sweetness as 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Non-GMO, Gluten-free, sugar-free, kosher, plant-based stevia sweetness, no artificial sweeteners, and suitable for people with...
- Use in anything such as your coffee, tea, fruit, cereal, yogurt, or your favorite recipes
- Great-tasting sugar alternative from the stevia leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon of Truvia Natural Sweetener sweetens like 2 teaspoons of sug
- 0 calories per packet
- Gluten free
- Suitable for people with diabetes
- ZERO-CALORIE, ORGANIC EXTRACT POWDER: NOW BetterStevia is a zero-calorie, low glycemic, natural sweetener that makes a perfectly...
- TASTES GREAT, NO CALORIES: Unlike chemical sweeteners, NOW BetterStevia contains pure stevia extract. NOW Foods takes special...
- CLASSIFICATIONS/CERTIFICATIONS: Gluten Free, Kosher, Non-GMO Project Verified, USDA Organic, Vegan/Vegetarian, Sugar Free
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined,...
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968.
- ALL NATURAL; Say goodbye to sweetener tablets that are full of unnecessary additives like sodium bicarbonate, magnesium stearate,...
- VERSATILE; If you’re looking to upgrade your kitchen with a sugar free powdered sugar that never compromises on flavor, Natural...
- INCREDIBLE TASTE; It’s time for artificial sweeteners and sugar substitutes that leave a bitter aftertaste to step aside;...
- HEALTHY; People love this clever sugar alternative for its versatility; Suitable for diabetics and people on low calorie diets,...
- QUALITY; Natural Mate products are manufactured in FDA registered facilities, our operations are governed and licensed by the New...
- Stevia and Monk Fruit Sweetener Packets: Featuring a blend of stevia and monk fruit, these sweetener packets are the perfect zero...
- Plant Based Sugar Substitute: Take our monk fruit and stevia blend on the go and add natural sweetness and flavor to coffee and...
- Low Glycemic Index: This Monk Fruit and Stevia plant based sweetener has a low glycemic index, is low carb and easily swapped for...
- Zero Calories: Using Whole Earth sweetener can help support your healthy lifestyle as you cut back on sugar, calories and carbs...
- Whole Earth Plant Based Sweeteners: Our low and zero calorie plant based sugar substitutes are great for coffees, teas, cocktails,...
- ZERO-CALORIE SWEETENER: BetterStevia is a zero-calorie, low-glycemic sweetener that makes a perfectly healthy substitute for table...
- QUICK DISSOLVING: Unlike chemical sweeteners, NOW BetterStevia contains a certified organic stevia extract
- SWEETEN BEVERAGES: NOW takes special measures to preserve stevia's natural qualities in this unique, organic, better-tasting...
- Keto-Friendly;Gluten Free;Kosher (Triangle K);Non-GMO Project Verified
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
- Pure Organic Stevia in the Raw (Stevia Green Leaf Extract Powder Rebaudioside A (Reb-A)), 8 Ounce, Reduced Bitter Aftertaste, Keto...
- 1 Teaspoon of Stevia Sweetener can Have Similar Sweetening Power as a Whole Cup of Sugar, Stevia Powder Organic, Best Source for...
- No GMOs, No Calorie, No Additives, No Preservatives, No Fillers, No Artificial Colors and No Gluten
- Scoop included to get the measurement every time. Take it daily with or between meals by adding it to a shake or smoothie, see...
- Powder lover? Take it naturally in powder for higher concentration, quicker absorption, easier on the stomach, and more ways to...
Things to Consider Before Buying Stevia
Stevia is one of those supplements that help you enjoy certain foods or drinks in all their splendor and respecting our health. In reality, what we consume is not the plant itself, but a compound that is extracted from it called steviol glycoside.
What Exactly Is Stevia?
Although Stevia rebaudiana is a plant native to Paraguay, in recent years, it seems to have taken root in Italy. Although not long ago nobody knew what it was or what it was used for, now only a few people have never heard of its properties.
Stevia is a plant with bright green leaves. However, this medicinal plant cannot be consumed directly, but the sweetener that bears its name is a processed compound. It requires a chemical process to obtain that element called steviol glycoside, which is what we will use to sweeten food or drinks.
What Is Stevia Used For?
Stevia acts primarily as a sugar substitute. It is a supplement that has been very well received by those who did not feel like taking sugars but, on the other hand, were unable to find a healthy sweetener. Stevia is a natural sweetener that has managed to defeat existing ones.
Not only because it doesn’t provide a single calorie (although it tastes very sweet), but also because it doesn’t affect blood glucose levels. Likewise, some studies have shown that stevia can have positive effects in healthy subjects and diabetic patients, such as lowering postprandial blood sugar (blood sugar level after eating food). This makes it a great ally in the treatment of diabetes and other diseases.
Is Stevia a Sweetener?
Stevia is one of the most popular natural sweeteners nowadays. Also, for many people, it is the best sugar substitute. The European Union approved its consumption in 2011 as a food additive. Since then, many people have banned sugar from their diet and replaced it with this substance.
According to experts, stevia is 300 to 400 times sweeter than white sugar. Likewise, it can improve blood sugar levels after food intake and have a satiating effect thanks to its softening character. It must be said, however, that although it initially offers a sweet taste, it can later leave a bitter taste.
How Many Calories Does Stevia Have?
One of the aspects that most convinces stevia consumers is that it contains few or fewer calories. This means that it is a substance that can also be consumed by anyone who is trying to lose weight.
The advantage of not having calories is that users don’t have to give up on flavor. It also does not contain calories and does not affect blood glucose levels.
For this reason, it is an ideal substance for those who have restrictions in this regard. Its sweetish taste may prevent some people from consuming traditional sugar.
What Are the Benefits of Stevia for My Health?
As a sweetener, and unlike most of those on the market, the main advantage of stevia is that it improves blood sugar levels. This is good news, especially for those who have diabetes, those who have insulin resistance problems, and who must be careful to consume food that does not contribute to increasing these levels.
But there is even more since stevia has zero calories. At the same time, taking stevia within reasonable parameters could be useful for people who want to consume less sugar. Finally, it is considered a powerful antioxidant.
Is Stevia Suitable for Everyone?
The best thing about stevia is that it is a supplement suitable for all types of people. Talking about it as a miraculous product would mean falling into exaggeration, but what is quite clear is that its consumption is safe, as claimed by the European Food Safety Authority.
In addition to being suitable for people suffering from diabetes, hypertension, or obesity, stevia is also completely recommended for children and pregnant women.
What Is the Correct Dose of Stevia?
According to the European Food Safety Authority, the maximum recommended daily dose of stevia is 4 mg per kilogram of body weight. Let’s look at an example: if an individual weighs 60 kg, he will be able to consume 240 mg of stevia per day.
We could say that an adult can safely take between 4 and 5 tablespoons of stevia per day. This amount would equate to about 70 grams of sugar.
In What Formats Can Stevia Be Found?
Stevia can be purchased in two formats: in granules (very similar to sugar) and liquid. Let’s see what the characteristics of each format are.
Granulated stevia is perhaps the most common since it is one of the best ways to replace sugar. White in color, these granules are sprinkled or added with a teaspoon to the drink in question.
On the other hand, liquid stevia is often presented in a dispenser container. Usually, it is the product itself that recommends the drops indicated for each case. Generally, 2 or 3 drops will be enough to sweeten a coffee or tea. A less common format, although it exists, is stevia in tablets or tablets.