The amazing evolution that Tanita scales have undergone in recent years shows how even a simple, traditional and commonly used object can undergo significant changes due to the advancing technology.
The purpose of this guide is precisely to inform the buyer about the various functions available (including some new ones that are generally completely unknown) to make a comparison and understand which bathroom scale to choose.
Here are the best Tanita scales listed below.
- Medical grade weight scale for home use, heavy duty design and construction.
- Extra-large thin platform with low-profile has weight capacity 440 pounds, within 0.2 lb. accuracy.
- 2-inch, 2-line extra-large, easy-to-read display shows current and previous weight for up to 5 users.
- Shows current and previous weight for up to 5 users.
- Includes 3-year warranty and batteries.
- FDA CLEARED, DARE TO COMPARE! Uses TANITA's Bioelectric Impedance Analysis (BIA) technology for body fat and body water...
- World's ONLY consumer Multi-Frequency weight, body fat, and body water home scale
- Weight-only feature shown in pounds, kilograms, and stone-pounds
- 300 lb. weight capacity, memory function for 2 adults, review past readings
- Includes 3-year warranty and batteries
- Uses Tanita’s FDA cleared bioelectric impedance analysis, for body fat and body water measurement.
- Provides 3 measurements: Weight, Body Fat %, and Body Water %, with Healthy Range Indicator
- User-friendly, personal data is stored for 2 individuals - Adults and Children (7-17), includes guest and weight-only options.
- Supports a weight up to 330 lbs. with 0.2 lb accuracy. results are displayed in under 20 seconds, built in memory allows you to...
- Includes a 3-year warranty and batteries
- 200g capacity, 0.01g graduation
- 6 modes of operation (g, oz, ozt, dwt, ct, grain)
- Large reverse blue backlit display with stainless steel tray
- Calibration button and tare button
- Includes 1-year warranty and batteries
- FDA CLEARED, DARE TO COMPARE! Uses TANITA's exclusive FDA Cleared Bioelectric Impedance Analysis, trusted by health and fitness...
- Provides 9 measurements: Weight, Body Fat %, Body Water %, Muscle Mass, Bone Mass, Basal Metabolic Rate, Metabolic Age, Visceral...
- Personal information is stored in one of four memory slots, step on activation, results are displayed in under 20 seconds.
- Large tempered glass with stainless-steel platform supports a weight up to 330 lbs with 0.2 lb accuracy
- Includes 4 AA batteries, 3-year warranty, athlete mode and guest mode
- Most economical weigh-only scale
- Large easy-to-read LCD display
- Pure white platform, tasteful in any décor
- 330 pound weight capacity
- Includes 3-year warranty and batteries
- The GOLD STANDARD in the pocket scale industry.
- Single mode, 120-gram capacity, 0.1-gram graduation.
- Simple operation and easy-to-read LCD display.
- Low battery warning with energy saving Auto-Off function.
- Includes 1-year warranty, carry case and batteries.
- FDA CLEARED, DARE TO COMPARE! Uses Tanita’s exclusive bioelectric impedance analysis, trusted by health and fitness experts...
- Provides 9 measurements: Weight, Body Fat %, Body Water %, Muscle Mass, Bone Mass, Daily Caloric Intake, Metabolic Age, Visceral...
- User-friendly, your personal information is stored in one of four permanent memory locations, includes athlete mode, guest and...
- Step on the scale and your results are displayed in under 20 seconds on the large LCD display, memory allows you to track your...
- Large tempered glass and stainless steel platform supports a weight up to 330 lbs with 0.2 lb accuracy, comes with 4 AA batteries...
- 200 gram capacity, 0.1 gram graduation
- 4 modes of operation (gram, ounce, troy ounce, penny weight)
- Features tare, low battery warning, and energy saving auto-off function
- Includes 1-year warranty, soft case, and batteries
Things to Know Before Buying Tanita Scales
The first fundamental factor to be evaluated for choosing the most suitable patient weighing scale is that relating to the information that is collected at the time of measurement.
Today on the market we can find truly technological impedance metric scales that have multiple integrated functions capable of detecting a lot of data, although also for this factor it is essential to carry out an assessment based on your needs and the use that must be made of the scale.
If you are looking for a simpler model to measure only the total weight, we advise you to take a look at the purchase guide of bathroom scales.
Frontal impedance scale term impedance measurement means that the balance is capable of acting as a real diagnostic tool, calculating in addition to the weight values such as:
Body Fat Percentage: this figure refers to the amount of fat mass. Body fat is essential for body functions, but too high a value could pose a risk to your health;
Percentage of Water: a percentage value is provided relative to the quantity of water present in the body;
Percentage of Muscle Mass: as for the previous values, also in this case we find a given percentage related to muscle mass. Muscles weigh more than body fat, so monitoring this figure will help you understand more accurately any weight gain;
Bone Mass Percentage: this percentage value indicates the amount of bone mass present in the body;
Body Mass Index: this value, also called BMI, is nothing more than the relationship between weight and height and allows you to understand if the user is underweight, normal weight or overweight.
Impedance Balanced Bmi
Recommended Calories: this value, also called BMR, is instead relative to the calories that should be taken and is suggested taking into account height, weight, and age;
Heart Rate: in some models, there is also a handlebar equipped with sensors that allows you to detect your heartbeat.
Impedance balance valuesAll this information is shown on the screen in the form of acronyms or small symbols, so we suggest you carefully read the instruction booklet in order to read the results correctly
In addition to detecting a lot of information relating to weight and health, it is now possible to buy scales that also have additional functions, such as specific methods designed for certain age groups or levels of physical activity.
Thus, for example, it is possible to find ways for children or for users who practice sports daily or in any case very often. Those who undergo regular and intensive training, in fact, will usually have a lower heart rate, which is around 60 beats per minute.
Impedance balance applying the impedance meter scales very technological and sophisticated instruments, it is often possible to find the possibility to connect to mobile devices via Bluetooth.
In this way, you can read the parameters identified by the scale directly on the screen of your smartphone and manage them through special applications.
The latter are created directly by the manufacturers of scales and usually allow you to monitor your health and weight in a more intuitive and immediate way, thanks to graphs and statistics.
Just create a free profile with all the necessary personal information and connect the smartphone to the scale via Bluetooth.
Impedance scale set the profile is also possible to set your profile on impedance meters in order to customize the measurements. The values relating to weight, in fact, must also be interpreted in relation to age, sex, height and the level of physical activity that is performed.
Women, in general, will have more fat and water mass than men, with the same height and age. Likewise, a very active man who practices sport very frequently could weigh more than a less active one, as the muscle mass is heavier than the fat.
In many models multiple profiles can be inserted: this aspect is very useful when the scale is used by different people as it allows you to monitor your values over time, so as to have complete control of your weight and metabolic activity.
Profile impedance scaleL’, which is also present mainly in digital scales. This function allows you to have more precise measurements without the problem of having to check the accuracy of the calibration.
Easy to Use
Taking into consideration the factor relating to the ease of use of the bathroom scale is very important as it will allow you to purchase a product suitable for your needs, optimizing costs and functionality.
Given the variety of scales on the market, this factor is also strictly dependent on your needs: based on the use you want to make, you will have to pay attention to specific aspects.
The First Element to Take Into Consideration Is the Size of The Platform:
The larger the surface, the greater the stability of the appliance and the precision of the measurement. In addition to the surface, the material of the platform must also be considered.
The best models are those in which this part of the scale is made of non-slip material, so as to prevent any measurement problems related to wet feet.
A further element to evaluate is the non-slip feet at the base of the platform, which avoid dangerous accidents or falls.
Some models are equipped with spare non-slip feet, which can be chosen according to the type of surface on which the instrument will rest.
Non-slip feet impedance scale maximum supported weight is also an aspect that can be important: many models, in fact, reach a maximum of 100 kg, a value that limits the use only to people under this weight range.
Another aspect to consider is the presence or absence of automatic measurement. With this term we mean the possibility of displaying the weight just climbed on the scale.
This is not always possible, in many products it is necessary to turn on the scale and wait for it to be ready for measurement.
The ease of reading the measurements is also important, especially if you want to buy a multifunctional model that calculates several parameters.
Finally, one aspect that should not be underestimated is the size and sharpness of the display: a sufficiently large display that allows you to immediately read the figures clearly reported is strictly connected to the accuracy of the measurement.
Display impedance scale too small and not easy to read display could force us to move on the scale, negating the precision of the weighing. Finally, with regard to the ease of reading and use, it is important to evaluate the intuitiveness of the buttons or keys present next to the display.
Given the possibility of detecting so much information and the presence of many advanced functions, the operation and setting of the parameters can be rather difficult or cumbersome.
Before proceeding with the measurement, we strongly advise you to consult the instruction booklet carefully to understand how to best use the keys.
Precision and Constancy of Measurement
The last factor that we recommend taking into consideration when choosing the most suitable patient weighing scale is the accuracy and consistency of measurement.
It must be remembered that with non-professional scales you will never have a result that reaches 100% accuracy, nevertheless, there are many models on the market that ensure very accurate measurements. The precision of the impedance scales is normally very high since they are digital instruments.
Beurer BF 850 precision however it is not said that all digital scales are necessarily precise: but how do you determine accuracy if we do not know our weight? To answer this question one must resort to the help of the consistency of the measurement results: if after a few minutes the value given by the scale does not change, we can say that the measurement is constant and that the calibration is unchanged.
Check the Calibration
It will be obvious to say it but a scale must be well calibrated to know exactly the weight of the body. The suggestion that we can give, in this case, is to put on the scale an object of which the exact weight is known and to verify if the reported data are coherent.
Another system, but certainly less precise, is to perform three consecutive weight measurements and see if there are discrepancies between one and the other.
This system will tell us if the balance does not move during weighing, but it is not suitable for telling us, however, if the device has a margin of error, for example, of a kilo.
Calibrate the Electric Scale
Electric scales must be calibrated. It is a very simple operation but let’s see what are the steps to take for correct calibration. The first thing to do is to turn the scale upside down for about 30 seconds.
This gesture will cause the reading to zero. At that point, you go to the button for recalibration. The button must be kept pressed until zero appears on the display first and then the wording “Cal”.
At this point operation is made which we have already described above, that is, an object is placed whose weight is known. The object should be left for a few seconds. If everything is smooth, the word End appears and if the weight matches, the scale must be turned off and on again.