Wheatgrass is the king of green shots on Instagram. Still not sure what it is? In this guide, we will explain why it has become the new healthy fashion.
Wheatgrass, or precisely wheatgrass, is obtained from the new leaves, i.e. those that have recently sprouted, of the common wheat plant (Triticum aestivum). This green superfood is a source of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, and chlorophyll. It has antioxidant, lipid-lowering, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Sips of wheatgrass juice are enough to provide your body with a good portion of the micronutrients it needs and, at the same time, take care of your health.
Here we had listed out the best wheatgrass powders that are present below.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC - Antler Farms New Zealand Wheat Grass is 100% pure, certified organic. We have a proven system for producing the highest quality organic wheatgrass.
- OUTDOOR GROWN - Our wheatgrass is grown outdoors in rich, fertile soil with natural sunlight and fresh water over a period of hundreds of days. This slow growth process enables our wheatgrass to develop deep roots that absorb the maximum amount of nutrients from the soil.
- CONCENTRATED NUTRITION - Antler Farms New Zealand Wheat Grass is harvested at the peak of potency to produce a deep green, nutrient-rich wheatgrass packed with chlorophyll, natural enzymes, vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, minerals, and amino acids. Our chlorophyll content is 4X higher per serving than tray grown wheatgrass juice and 2X higher per serving than other wheatgrass powders.
- COLD PROCESSED - Our wheatgrass is dehydrated at a low temperature, keeping our product completely bioavailable. Our cold processing ensures that the nutrients and enzymes in our product stay raw and intact so you receive all of its potential benefits.
- PRODUCT OF NEW ZEALAND - Antler Farms New Zealand Wheat Grass is produced in New Zealand's Canterbury Plains. The pollution free environment and the balance of sunny, temperate and wet, cool conditions is ideal for growing the highest quality wheatgrass. You can literally taste the difference!
- Pure Wheatgrass Powder
- Mix With Water, Juice, Smoothies, Or Use In Food
- Convenient Serving Scoop Included
- Gluten Free and Non-GMO
- Manufactured In a GMP Compliant, FDA Registered Facility
- 100% PURE WHEATGRASS - Our gently dried powder is an easy way to enjoy all the wonderful benefits of this incredible green food.
- RICH IN CHLOROPHYLL, VITAMINS, MINERALS, FIBER, & PLANT PROTEIN - Wheatgrass is rich in vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll, and protein where it includes all eight of the essential amino acids.
- MIX IN SMOOTHIES, JUICE, SHAKES, & RECIPES - Z Natural Foods wheatgarss comes in powder form so it is easy to mix into your favorite drinks, foods, and recipes. Fill the gaps of your diet with the highest quality superfoods available.
- ORGANIC, RAW, NON GMO, & VEGAN - Wheatgrass powder is made by drying the whole grass leaf and then milling it into a fine powder. It is 100% natural and minimally processed. We don't add anything else to it so you don't have to worry about artificial additives.
- HIGHEST QUALITY AVAILABLE - Our wheatgrass powder is incredibly nutrient dense because it is grown, dried, and packaged for you in the USA. It's organic, raw, non-gmo, and 100% pure. No additives. No Preservatives. No sweeteners. No fillers.
- EASILY GET MORE GREENS & MORE ENERGY - Wheatgrass is one of the most nutrient dense foods on earth. Get a very big dose of vitamins and minerals in one small drink to detoxify the body, experience more energy and less hunger. You will feel truly refreshed with the real power of wheatgrass!
- NO GRASSY SMELL OR AFTER TASTE - Unlike most wheatgrass powders, the taste is not overwhelming. Once mixed it leaves no chunks, no bad smell and no after-taste. It works wonderfully in smoothies of all kinds and when drinking on its own, ”Gettin it down” will be easy! You will feel like you've done something real good for your body each time you drink it.
- 100% ORGANIC GREEN JUICE - GROWN IN USA - Not all wheatgrass powder is created equal. When you drink Opportuniteas green juice you will have peace of mind knowing this fine powder is organic and vegan friendly, free from additives, sweeteners, fillers or preservatives AND your supporting American independence!
- SAVE TIME AND MONEY - Add up the costs. To get the same benefits you can spend $8-$10 at a juice shop for one bottle. Or you must spend a couple hundred on a juicer. Then shop, peel, chop and clean. If you would rather save the time, money and hassle then get our powder.
- LOVE IT OR GET YOUR MONEY BACK - It takes ~25 lbs of fresh wheatgrass to make just 1 lb of wheatgrass juice powder. Because the nutrients are organic and whole food based, your body will love it. If you don't, you'll get your money back - no questions asked. What we stand for is just as important as the products we make.
- Contains USDA Organic Wheatgrass that is Unflavored, Unsweetened, Unfortified
- Nutritional Support ♦
- 5.6 oz Powder, 35 Servings
- Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO Project Verified, Kosher Certified, Dairy-Free, Vegan, USDA Organic
- Free of milk, egg, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts and soybeans. Also free of corn, yeast, gluten, barley and rice.
- GREAT DETOX PRODUCT: Organic Wheatgrass Powder from Food to Live contains a large amount of chlorophyll, which perfectly removes toxins from the body.
- VITAMINS & MINERALS BOOST: Organic Wheatgrass Powder rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Iron, Manganese and Selenium.
- ORGANIC PRODUCT: Our Organic Wheatgrass Powder from Food to Live is a 100% non-GMO organic product.
- EASY USE: Organic Wheatgrass Powder from Food to Live good soluble in water, juice and other beverages.
- HANDY PACK: Organic Wheatgrass Powder from Food to Live packed into an airtight ziplock bag.
- Wheatgrass is an excellent source of many different vitamins and minerals. It is especially high in vitamins A, C and E, as well as iron, magnesium, calcium and amino acids. Of its 17 amino acids, eight are considered essential, meaning your body cannot produce them and you must obtain them from food sources.
- Wheatgrass is the name of the young grass of a wheat plant. It is a thick, dry grass that looks like hay or straw but is bright green.
- Like many plant-based products, wheatgrass contains ingredients that act as antioxidants. These antioxidants may offer health benefits similar to many other plant based foods.
- Like all green plants, wheatgrass also consists of chlorophyll, a type of green plant pigment associated with many health benefits. It also contains several important antioxidants, including glutathione and vitamins C and E .
- Root has more no. of amino acids and full of enzymes compared to the other regular wheatgrass powder available, which improves the immune system.
- Nutrient Dense Superfood: This show-offy little superfood shamelessly hoards much of nature's bounty—iron, calcium, enzymes, magnesium, 17 amino acids, vitamins A, C, E, K, and B-complex, and proteins. Partridge in a Pear Tree is in the mail.
- All-Natural Cognitive Boost: Wheatgrass juice powder affects mental function via its neuroprotective effects and antioxidant ownership, and is in line to slap Alzheimer's in the face. Memory loss is mitigated by —— where was I?
- Inflammation Killer: The anti-inflammatory properties of wheatgrass go to town on symptoms of arthritis and other inflammation-based disorders—and they are many.
- Intenstine Guru: Your intestines (excuse me): let's talk. Gas? Bloating? Irritable Bowel? Wheat grass courageously enters the sub-basement with a stern expression and calms the raging party down there.
- Cholesterol?....Get Outta Here!: Cholesterol? Too much of the sticky stuff blocks arteries and buys your thoracic surgeon a brand new Tesla. Wheatgrass' antioxidants dial down the waxy buildup, disappointing your surgeon.
- Terrasoul Superfoods Wheat Grass Juice Powder, 10 Ounces (5oz - 2 Pack)
- 100% Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Earth Kosher, Raw, Vegan
- Grown and Packaged in the USA
- Wheatgrass Juice Powder comes from the potent juice of an energy-rich grass that cleanses, detoxifies, nourishes, and heals
- A 25:1 concentrated version of Wheat Grass
- Naturally Occurring Vitamins: Wheatgrass Powder delivers several important vitamins including vitamin C, A, K and collection of B vitamins. These vitamins are well known to help support the body’s main functions to help you feel your best.
- Healthy Immunity & Digestion+: Naturally occurring vitamin C helps boost the body’s natural defenses while B vitamins work together and with your body to support your natural energy levels. Wheat grass also delivers dietary fiber to support healthy digestion.+
- Simple Nutrition: BareOrganics keeps nutrition simple, meaning our products are free from preservatives, fillers and artificial ingredients prepared using processes like freeze-drying, low temperatures and cold-milling to ensure quality and integrity.
- Essential Fuel: Superfoods deliver essential fuel for your body with unique micro and macronutrients to keep you feeling your absolute best. BareOrganics’ raw, organic foods make it easier for the body to recognize and utilize key nutrients.
- Planet-Friendly Packaging: BareOrganics strives to create products that make you feel good about not only what you’re putting in your body, but how our products impact the environment as well. With the health of the planet in mind, we’ve made sure all our containers are 100% recyclable or biodegradable!
- Starwest Botanicals Organic Wheatgrass Powder, 1 Pound
- Starwest Botanicals Organic Wheatgrass Powder, 1 Pound
- wheat grass powder is made from the dehydrated grass, not a dried juice
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers' recommendations, when provided.
- Nutrition Packed Green Superfood: Our organic wheatgrass powder is full of the good stuff, from essential amino acids to fiber and iron. Add our USDA-certified wheatgrass powder organic to your balanced diet for the healthy kick your body’s been craving.
- Always Natural, Never Synthetic: Sari organic wheatgrass is sustainably-sourced and grown in the USA. We hand-pick, air dry, and gently mill our wheatgrass to preserve all of the naturally-occurring nutrients that can’t be found in wheatgrass juice powder organic. And since we retain the most fibrous parts of the plant, our wheatgrass powdered greens contain nearly 4 times the fiber of wheatgrass juice powders.
- Feel Your Best with Plant-Based Vitamins: Our non-GMO green superfood powder is a complete, bioavailable, and vegan source of naturally occurring fiber. Our wheatgrass super greens blend also contains a multitude of vitamins (including B complex and vitamins A, C, E), and minerals (selenium and iron). Plus, it’s gluten-free and loaded with antioxidants.
- Detox and Cleanse: Organic, cleansing wheat grass flushes toxins from your body and aids in liver function. Sari Foods super greens powder contains 17 amino acids, including the 9 essential amino acids you need to strengthen your immune system, and chlorophyll, a super green plant pigment that plays a key role in reducing inflammation, aiding digestion, and boosting energy.
- Easily Incorporate into Meals: Our organic wheatgrass powder has a mild, earthy flavor that pairs well with fruit, juice, smoothies, and more. Mix 1 heaping tablespoon into your favorite protein shake or combine with water and knock back a power shot of green juice.
- US Grown Organic Wheatgrass Superfood Powder 10 Ounce, Premium Wheat Grass Supplement Organic, Vegan.
- Rich in Minerals (Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium and Zinc Vitamin), Immune Vitamins (Vitamins A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Biotin), Protein, Essential Amino Acids (GLA, Arginine), Fiber, Enzyme and Flavonoids, Premium Wheat Grass Powder Organic.
- Rich in Antioxidants, Which Provides Supports to Colon, Heart and Overall Well Being.
- No GMOs, No Additives, No Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Flavors, No Soy, No Fillers and No Gluten
- Scoop included to get the measurement every time. Take it daily with or between meals by adding it to a shake or smoothie, see what the most nutrient dense food on the planet is all about.
What to Look for Before Buying Wheatgrass Powders?
In this section, we will deepen the nutritional profile and properties of wheatgrass so that we can examine how useful this superfood can be. In addition, we will try to break down some misconceptions and myths that exist on wheatgrass and one of its main components: chlorophyll.
What Exactly Is Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass is the name that the young and recently sprouted leaves of the Triticum aestivum (common wheat) plant take.
The leaves are harvested early to maximize nutrients, and juice is extracted from them or a fine powder is obtained. Dr. Ann Wigmore is the one who popularized the use of wheatgrass juice for therapeutic purposes.
What Nutrients Does Wheatgrass Bring?
Wheatgrass is a source of beta carotene (provitamin A), a complex of vitamins K, C, E and B, iron, calcium, magnesium, copper, and zinc.
It also contains enzymes, chlorophyll, and sulfur compounds that possess biological properties. The exact quantities of vitamins, minerals, and chlorophyll are difficult to estimate because they vary according to the time of harvest.
The juice obtained from wheatgrass is very low in calories, fats, and carbohydrates, therefore it can be taken without problems by people who follow a dietary program. Since the nutritional composition of wheatgrass juice differs from that of powder and capsules
What Are the Properties of Wheatgrass for Health?
While wheatgrass is considered a wonderful natural remedy in naturopathic medicine, professionals who practice allopathic medicine are more skeptical. These are the properties of wheatgrass that have the support of scientific studies and tests:
- Anti-Inflammatory – This effect is due to chlorophyll and some polysaccharides present in wheatgrass. Inflammation is involved in cardiovascular conditions, inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease), obesity, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, and some types of cancer.
- Energizers – B vitamins, zinc, and magnesium are key nutrients for energy metabolism. Therefore, the daily intake of wheatgrass reduces fatigue and increases the energy level
- Antioxidants – The pigments of wheatgrass, i.e. chlorophyll and beta-carotene, zinc, and vitamins E and C are powerful antioxidants. Therefore, wheatgrass supplements are used to counteract oxidative damage related to various diseases (cardiovascular, neurodegenerative, diabetes) and aging.
- Antibacterial – Chlorophyll gives wheatgrass the ability to inhibit the development of bacteria.
- Lipid-lowering agents – A study in rats has shown that wheatgrass juice lowers triglyceride levels, LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, and total cholesterol. As far as cholesterol is concerned, wheatgrass has been observed to significantly increase the fecal excretion of this compound.
- Digestive – Wheatgrass has been documented to relieve dyspepsia (indigestion) thanks to the enzymes it contains and also combats constipation thanks to its fibers.
- Anti-Aging for The Skin – Wheatgrass antioxidants delay skin aging, in particular, beta-carotene and vitamin C. Furthermore, the latter is an essential nutrient for the formation of collagen which gives the skin softness and firmness.
- Immunostimulants – zinc, iron, and vitamin C from wheatgrass are essential micronutrients for the proper functioning of the immune system.
How Many Types of Wheatgrass Products Are There?
Although many people decide to grow this food, wheatgrass can be consumed in the form of juice, powder, or capsules. Each form of presentation has its own characteristics, which are explained below:
Wheatgrass Juice. The juice is extracted from the wheatgrass and the fiber is almost completely removed. The resulting liquid is sold in small packs of 10 to 60 ml. It is also possible to acquire frozen juice to defrost it at the time of consumption.
Wheatgrass Powder. To preserve the quality of the leaves, a microwave drying process is used. Then the dry matter is crushed into a fine powder that can be dissolved in water or blended or mixed with soups and stews.
Wheatgrass Capsules or Tablets. Generally, the capsules are made up of wheatgrass powder wrapped in a covering of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (vegetable cellulose).
What Properties Does Naturopathy Attribute to Wheatgrass?
There is green blood therapy (Green Blood Therapy), which is the administration of wheatgrass juice to cure or relieve certain ailments. Naturopathic medicine uses wheatgrass juice to treat the following conditions:
- Asthma and allergies.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Hemolytic anemia.
- Dyspepsia (indigestion).
- Hyperuricaemia (high uric acid).
- Digestive ulcers.
Can Wheatgrass Juice Replace Vegetable Consumption?
No. Vegetables provide fiber, which is an indigestible compound essential for the proper functioning of the body. When extracting wheatgrass juice, the fiber is eliminated and constitutes the residue that can be observed in the extractor.
Also, although wheatgrass offers several types of vitamins and minerals, it does not provide them all.
Can Celiacs Consume Wheat Grass?
Yes, people with celiac disease can consume wheatgrass because its leaves do not contain gluten. Furthermore, the richness of minerals and vitamins in wheatgrass makes it extremely useful for newly diagnosed people because it helps them reverse the nutritional deficiencies caused by malabsorption syndrome.
Is Chlorophyll Necessary to “oxygenate” the Blood?
No. This is a myth that exists around many green juices, including wheatgrass. In reality, oxygen is part of the air we breathe, it enters the lungs and from there passes into the blood. No supplement or superfood has the ability to supply oxygen to the bloodstream.
Should Wheatgrass Always Be Taken on An Empty Stomach?
No, there is no specific time of day to ingest a wheatgrass supplement. Many manufacturers recommend taking it half an hour before meals to help assimilate it.
The advantage of consuming wheatgrass on an empty stomach is that, by not eating anything overnight, the absorption of nutrients is maximum.
Is Wheatgrass a Good Source of Protein for Vegans?
No, wheatgrass does not stand out for its macronutrient content (proteins, fats, carbohydrates). Although it contains some amino acids, which are the basic units of proteins, it cannot be considered a good source of these nutrients.
The value of wheatgrass is its contribution to vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and pigments (chlorophyll, beta-carotene).
What Are the Side Effects and Contraindications of Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass supplements are contraindicated in pregnancy and breastfeeding because it is not proven that their consumption is safe during these stages of life.
Anyone suffering from any pathology or taking medications should consult their doctor before taking wheatgrass in any form. As for the adverse effects, it can cause nausea, headache, and rash.
As you may have noticed in our selection, wheatgrass can be consumed in several ways. However, before buying wheatgrass in any form you should consider other characteristics that determine how appropriate a supplement is for you. The basic purchase criteria include:
- Administration form
- Organic production
- Processing process
- Presence of gluten
- Value for money
Those who love the taste of wheatgrass and want a product that is as natural as possible can opt for juice or powder. The former is ready to drink, while the latter must be mixed with hot or cold liquids. The capsules are recommended for people who want to avoid the typical taste of wheatgrass and look for the most practical option.
Most of the wheatgrass supplements on the market are made with organic herb. This aspect is important because all leafy foods are generally very sensitive to pests and, more vulnerable, therefore the use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides is more frequent. It is better to opt for a supplement that has the seal of organic production.
The drying of the wheatgrass in the microwave for the subsequent transformation into powder allows us to preserve the nutritional quality and to maintain unchanged the content of vitamins, which are the most sensitive to heat nutrients.
On the other hand, when the juice is frozen, the freezing process must be rapid to avoid its nutritional and organoleptic deterioration.
Presence of Gluten
Although wheatgrass is gluten-free, it is essential to look for the seal that certifies suitability for people with celiac disease. Sometimes wheatgrass can be contaminated with small parts of seeds and, if consumed by people with celiac disease, it implies a food transgression with its possible complications.
Value for Money
Wheatgrass powder and capsules are excellent value for money. In the case of juice, if it is a 100% wheatgrass product, it is more expensive than powder or capsules, up to doubling or tripling its cost. Wheatgrass juices mixed with fruit juices are cheaper, but also of lower quality.