Wheatgrass is the king of green shots on Instagram. Still not sure what it is? In this guide, we will explain why it has become the new healthy fashion.
Wheatgrass, or precisely wheatgrass, is obtained from the new leaves, i.e. those that have recently sprouted, of the common wheat plant (Triticum aestivum). This green superfood is a source of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, and chlorophyll. It has antioxidant, lipid-lowering, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Sips of wheatgrass juice are enough to provide your body with a good portion of the micronutrients it needs and, at the same time, take care of your health.
Here we had listed out the best wheatgrass powders that are present below.
- Organic Wheatgrass Powder, Whole Leaf, USA Grown, California Packed
- Batch Tested and Verified Gluten Free
- Plant based source of protein, chlorophyll, fiber, vitamins and minerals
- Non-GMO, Vegan, Non-Irradiated - No artificial colors, fillers or additives
- Blend into smoothies and juices, sprinkle on foods, add it to desserts or mix it with water to take a shot!
- US Grown Organic Wheatgrass Superfood Powder 16 Ounce, 100% Whole-Leaf, Premium Wheat Grass Supplement Organic, Vegan Friendly.
- Rich in Fibers, Minerals (Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium and Zinc Vitamin), Immune Vitamins (Vitamins A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12,...
- Rich in Antioxidants, Which Provides Supports to Colon, Heart and Overall Well Being.
- No GMOs, No Additives, No Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Flavors, No Soy, No Fillers and No Gluten
- Scoop included to get the measurement every time. Take it daily with or between meals by adding it to a shake or smoothie, see...
- Terrasoul Superfoods Wheat Grass Juice Powder, 5 Ounces
- 100% Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Non-Irradiated, Raw, Vegan
- Grown and Packaged in the USA
- Wheatgrass Juice Powder comes from the potent juice of an energy-rich grass that cleanses, detoxifies, nourishes, and heals
- A concentrated version of wheat grass and more potent than standard dried wheatgrass
- WHEATGRASS JUICE IS THE MOST CONCENTRATED & NUTRIENT DENSE FORM: Juice powder has up to 20 times higher nutrient concentration...
- ORGANICALLY GROWN IN MINERAL-RICH VOLCANIC SOIL OF UTAH: Our Wheatgrass is organically grown in the most mineral-rich soil of Utah...
- BIOACTIVE, ORGANIC & RAW FORM: Our Wheatgrass juice powder maintains its full enzyme bioactivity due to its truly Raw form. This...
- ONE OF EARTH’S MOST NOURISHING PLANTS: Wheatgrass has rightfully been ascribed as one of the healthiest plants on Earth - it...
- Superfood Rich in Vitamins, Minerals & Antioxidants: Wheat grass is an excellent source of a variety of vitamins and minerals like...
- Supports Energy, Digestion, and Immunity: Yuve wheat grass juice powder is a great source of Fiber which supports digestion, and...
- An Outstanding Amount of Nutrients in Just 1 Teaspoon: Our concentrated wheat grass powdered organic provides 20 times more...
- Natural Taste, No Artificial Flavors: Our wheatgrass powder is free of sweeteners and artificial flavors. Non-GMO, Gluten-Free and...
- Certified USDA Organic, Grown in the USA: Yuve wheatgrass is proudly grown in the USA under the best quality standards, and...
- 100% PURE WHEATGRASS - Our gently dried powder is an easy way to enjoy all the wonderful benefits of this incredible green food.
- RICH IN CHLOROPHYLL, VITAMINS, MINERALS, FIBER, & PLANT PROTEIN - Wheatgrass is rich in vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll, and...
- MIX IN SMOOTHIES, JUICE, SHAKES, & RECIPES - Z Natural Foods wheatgarss comes in powder form so it is easy to mix into your...
- ORGANIC, RAW, NON GMO, & VEGAN - Wheatgrass powder is made by drying the whole grass leaf and then milling it into a fine powder....
- HIGHEST QUALITY AVAILABLE - Our wheatgrass powder is incredibly nutrient dense because it is grown, dried, and packaged for you in...
- PURE WHEATGRASS POWDER - is free of starch, soy, yeast, wheat, egg, artificial color, flavor, & preservatives.
- NUTRIERNT RICH SUPERFOOD - Wheatgrass is rich in vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll, and protein where it includes all eight of the...
- EASY TO USE - It is easy to mix into your favorite drinks, foods, and recipes
- AYURVEDIC HERB - Ayurveda is a traditional practice of medicine of India. Ayurvedic herbs cleanse the body, boost immunity, and...
- QUALITY & PURITY: Made in a GMP Compliant, FDA Registered Facility
- Amazing Grass Organic Wheat Grass offers 100% organic, whole-leaf wheat grass. One scoop is the fiber equivalent of more than 10...
- Supports overall health and immunity. Naturally rich source of chlorophyll.
- Supports detoxification, naturally balances and increases alkalinity.
- USDA Organic, Non GMO Verified, Gluten Free, No Sugar Added, Plant-based, Kosher
- Add one scoop to 12 oz or more to your beverage of choice, craft the ultimate smoothie or add to your favorite muffin, cake,...
- 𝗡𝗢𝗡-𝗚𝗠𝗢 & 𝗖𝗘𝗥𝗧𝗜𝗙𝗜𝗘𝗗 𝗢𝗥𝗚𝗔𝗡𝗜𝗖 - This proprietary blend of raw...
- 𝗨𝗦𝗔 𝗚𝗠𝗣 𝗖𝗘𝗥𝗧𝗜𝗙𝗜𝗘𝗗 𝗠𝗔𝗡𝗨𝗙𝗔𝗖𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗚 - Our...
- 𝗜𝗡𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗥𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗦 - We're sorry to say it, but if you’re...
- 𝗪𝗛𝗬 𝗪𝗘’𝗥𝗘 𝗗𝗜𝗙𝗙𝗘𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗧 - Also known as The Knowledge Doc, Dr. Berg has spent most...
- 𝟯𝟬-𝗗𝗔𝗬 𝗚𝘂𝗮𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲 - If for any reason you're not happy with the results you experience...
- ✅ VOLCANIC SOIL ONLY: We pay attention to the details. Our wheatgrass is grown on volcanic mineral rich soil, & is dried using a...
- ▽ EASY SPOON MIXING, NO CUT-GRASS TASTE: This is a juice powder, which is MUCH different than wheatgrass powder. No blender is...
- ✅ MAJU IS DIFFERENT: At Maju, our mission is to only sell the cleanest, responsibly sourced products. We carefully analyze each...
- ✅ FREE SUPERFOOD RECIPE eBOOK: Wheatgrass is super easy to use, but we'll send you recipes that you can also add our wheatgrass...
- ✅ 30 DAY 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Try Maju out. Heck, even return an empty jar if you want. If you do not like our product,...
- Terrasoul Superfoods Wheat Grass Juice Powder, 10 Ounces (5oz - 2 Pack)
- 100% Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Earth Kosher, Raw, Vegan
- Grown and Packaged in the USA
- Wheatgrass Juice Powder comes from the potent juice of an energy-rich grass that cleanses, detoxifies, nourishes, and heals
- A 25:1 concentrated version of Wheat Grass
- Organic Superfood: Our organic wheatgrass juice powder is more concentrated and potent than standard organic wheatgrass powder. We...
- Balance Your Diet: Wheatgrass powder organic contains essential vitamins and minerals, which may help to support a healthy immune...
- Cold Pressed and Raw: We take pride in our products. Our wheatgrass juice powder is USDA Organic, contains no fillers, no GMO's,...
- Versatile Green Superfood: Try this wheatgrass juice powder organic as a shake and smoothie booster, or incorporate it into your...
- Love Your Supplements: You'll love the superior quality and convenience of our organic wheatgrass juice powder. Here at XPRS...
- ORGANICALLY SOURCED: Darsa Organics Wheatgrass Powder is ground from organic grass of wheat that is sourced from the fertile...
- NUTRIENT RICH: Darsa Organics wheatgrass supplement is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, including...
- ENERGY AND VITALITY: Wheatgrass powder contains enzymes that help in detoxifying the body by removing harmful toxins and...
- AIDS DIGESTION: Wheatgrass is rich in dietary fiber that supports a healthier digestive system. It contains vitamins such as B6...
- SKIN HEALTH: High concentration of antioxidants and vitamins in wheatgrass powder can improve your complexion. Regular consumption...
What to Look for Before Buying Wheatgrass Powders?
In this section, we will deepen the nutritional profile and properties of wheatgrass so that we can examine how useful this superfood can be. In addition, we will try to break down some misconceptions and myths that exist on wheatgrass and one of its main components: chlorophyll.
What Exactly Is Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass is the name that the young and recently sprouted leaves of the Triticum aestivum (common wheat) plant take.
The leaves are harvested early to maximize nutrients, and juice is extracted from them or a fine powder is obtained. Dr. Ann Wigmore is the one who popularized the use of wheatgrass juice for therapeutic purposes.
What Nutrients Does Wheatgrass Bring?
Wheatgrass is a source of beta carotene (provitamin A), a complex of vitamins K, C, E and B, iron, calcium, magnesium, copper, and zinc.
It also contains enzymes, chlorophyll, and sulfur compounds that possess biological properties. The exact quantities of vitamins, minerals, and chlorophyll are difficult to estimate because they vary according to the time of harvest.
The juice obtained from wheatgrass is very low in calories, fats, and carbohydrates, therefore it can be taken without problems by people who follow a dietary program. Since the nutritional composition of wheatgrass juice differs from that of powder and capsules
What Are the Properties of Wheatgrass for Health?
While wheatgrass is considered a wonderful natural remedy in naturopathic medicine, professionals who practice allopathic medicine are more skeptical. These are the properties of wheatgrass that have the support of scientific studies and tests:
- Anti-Inflammatory – This effect is due to chlorophyll and some polysaccharides present in wheatgrass. Inflammation is involved in cardiovascular conditions, inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease), obesity, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, and some types of cancer.
- Energizers – B vitamins, zinc, and magnesium are key nutrients for energy metabolism. Therefore, the daily intake of wheatgrass reduces fatigue and increases the energy level
- Antioxidants – The pigments of wheatgrass, i.e. chlorophyll and beta-carotene, zinc, and vitamins E and C are powerful antioxidants. Therefore, wheatgrass supplements are used to counteract oxidative damage related to various diseases (cardiovascular, neurodegenerative, diabetes) and aging.
- Antibacterial – Chlorophyll gives wheatgrass the ability to inhibit the development of bacteria.
- Lipid-lowering agents – A study in rats has shown that wheatgrass juice lowers triglyceride levels, LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, and total cholesterol. As far as cholesterol is concerned, wheatgrass has been observed to significantly increase the fecal excretion of this compound.
- Digestive – Wheatgrass has been documented to relieve dyspepsia (indigestion) thanks to the enzymes it contains and also combats constipation thanks to its fibers.
- Anti-Aging for The Skin – Wheatgrass antioxidants delay skin aging, in particular, beta-carotene and vitamin C. Furthermore, the latter is an essential nutrient for the formation of collagen which gives the skin softness and firmness.
- Immunostimulants – zinc, iron, and vitamin C from wheatgrass are essential micronutrients for the proper functioning of the immune system.
How Many Types of Wheatgrass Products Are There?
Although many people decide to grow this food, wheatgrass can be consumed in the form of juice, powder, or capsules. Each form of presentation has its own characteristics, which are explained below:
Wheatgrass Juice. The juice is extracted from the wheatgrass and the fiber is almost completely removed. The resulting liquid is sold in small packs of 10 to 60 ml. It is also possible to acquire frozen juice to defrost it at the time of consumption.
Wheatgrass Powder. To preserve the quality of the leaves, a microwave drying process is used. Then the dry matter is crushed into a fine powder that can be dissolved in water or blended or mixed with soups and stews.
Wheatgrass Capsules or Tablets. Generally, the capsules are made up of wheatgrass powder wrapped in a covering of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (vegetable cellulose).
What Properties Does Naturopathy Attribute to Wheatgrass?
There is green blood therapy (Green Blood Therapy), which is the administration of wheatgrass juice to cure or relieve certain ailments. Naturopathic medicine uses wheatgrass juice to treat the following conditions:
- Asthma and allergies.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Hemolytic anemia.
- Dyspepsia (indigestion).
- Hyperuricaemia (high uric acid).
- Digestive ulcers.
Can Wheatgrass Juice Replace Vegetable Consumption?
No. Vegetables provide fiber, which is an indigestible compound essential for the proper functioning of the body. When extracting wheatgrass juice, the fiber is eliminated and constitutes the residue that can be observed in the extractor.
Also, although wheatgrass offers several types of vitamins and minerals, it does not provide them all.
Can Celiacs Consume Wheat Grass?
Yes, people with celiac disease can consume wheatgrass because its leaves do not contain gluten. Furthermore, the richness of minerals and vitamins in wheatgrass makes it extremely useful for newly diagnosed people because it helps them reverse the nutritional deficiencies caused by malabsorption syndrome.
Is Chlorophyll Necessary to “oxygenate” the Blood?
No. This is a myth that exists around many green juices, including wheatgrass. In reality, oxygen is part of the air we breathe, it enters the lungs and from there passes into the blood. No supplement or superfood has the ability to supply oxygen to the bloodstream.
Should Wheatgrass Always Be Taken on An Empty Stomach?
No, there is no specific time of day to ingest a wheatgrass supplement. Many manufacturers recommend taking it half an hour before meals to help assimilate it.
The advantage of consuming wheatgrass on an empty stomach is that, by not eating anything overnight, the absorption of nutrients is maximum.
Is Wheatgrass a Good Source of Protein for Vegans?
No, wheatgrass does not stand out for its macronutrient content (proteins, fats, carbohydrates). Although it contains some amino acids, which are the basic units of proteins, it cannot be considered a good source of these nutrients.
The value of wheatgrass is its contribution to vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and pigments (chlorophyll, beta-carotene).
What Are the Side Effects and Contraindications of Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass supplements are contraindicated in pregnancy and breastfeeding because it is not proven that their consumption is safe during these stages of life.
Anyone suffering from any pathology or taking medications should consult their doctor before taking wheatgrass in any form. As for the adverse effects, it can cause nausea, headache, and rash.
As you may have noticed in our selection, wheatgrass can be consumed in several ways. However, before buying wheatgrass in any form you should consider other characteristics that determine how appropriate a supplement is for you. The basic purchase criteria include:
- Administration form
- Organic production
- Processing process
- Presence of gluten
- Value for money
Those who love the taste of wheatgrass and want a product that is as natural as possible can opt for juice or powder. The former is ready to drink, while the latter must be mixed with hot or cold liquids. The capsules are recommended for people who want to avoid the typical taste of wheatgrass and look for the most practical option.
Most of the wheatgrass supplements on the market are made with organic herb. This aspect is important because all leafy foods are generally very sensitive to pests and, more vulnerable, therefore the use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides is more frequent. It is better to opt for a supplement that has the seal of organic production.
The drying of the wheatgrass in the microwave for the subsequent transformation into powder allows us to preserve the nutritional quality and to maintain unchanged the content of vitamins, which are the most sensitive to heat nutrients.
On the other hand, when the juice is frozen, the freezing process must be rapid to avoid its nutritional and organoleptic deterioration.
Presence of Gluten
Although wheatgrass is gluten-free, it is essential to look for the seal that certifies suitability for people with celiac disease. Sometimes wheatgrass can be contaminated with small parts of seeds and, if consumed by people with celiac disease, it implies a food transgression with its possible complications.
Value for Money
Wheatgrass powder and capsules are excellent value for money. In the case of juice, if it is a 100% wheatgrass product, it is more expensive than powder or capsules, up to doubling or tripling its cost. Wheatgrass juices mixed with fruit juices are cheaper, but also of lower quality.