Many people don’t have enough energy to face their day. Are you suffering from diabetes and high cholesterol? Are you looking for a supplement to lose weight, and do you want to include a supplement with top nutritional qualities in your diet? If you answered yes to any of these questions, spirulina powder could be an excellent option for you.
Spirulina is a cyanophyte microalga that offers exceptional health benefits that go beyond its nutritional composition. Source of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals, this superfood brings added value thanks to its energizing, antioxidant, and immunostimulating properties.
Here we had listed out the best Spirulina Powders that are present below.
- USDA Raw Spirulina Organic Powder, 1 Pound (16 Ounce), Treated by Heat Only, Non-Irradiated and Vegan Friendly.
- Rich in Vegan Protein, Enzyme, Fiber, Amino Acids (Omega 3 6 9, GLA, Arginine), Flavonoids, Immune Vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin B...
- No GMOs, No Additives, No Preservatives, No Fillers, No Artificial Colors, No Flavor, No Soy and No Gluten.
- Scoop included to get the measurement every time. Take it daily with or between meals by adding it to a shake or smoothie, see...
- Powder lover? Take it naturally in powder for higher concentration, quicker absorption, easier on the stomach, and more ways to...
- 100% Raw Organic Spirulina; Nothing Else! Nothing Added, Completely Pure, Natural and Health Friendly, USDA Certified Organic,...
- 100% Raw Organic Spirulina; Nothing Else! Nothing Added, Completely Pure, Natural and Health Friendly, USDA Certified Organic,...
- Our Spirulina Contains Over 70% Protein Per Serving; BN Labs Spirulina Powder is superior quality and contains just the best 100%...
- How We Do Things Differently; Our Spirulina is USDA-Certified, Treated by heat only, non-irradiated, 100% pure, vegan, no...
- Spirulina Compared with Chlorella; Spirulina contains more essential amino acids, iron, protein, B vitamins, and vitamins C, D and...
- Jumpstart Your Health - Blue Spirulina is considered a superfood due to the many health benefits it offers. Packed with vitamins,...
- Create Pinterest-Worthy Dishes - Toss your chemical-filled dyes and use spirulina to enhance your next culinary creation with a...
- A Single Revolutionary Ingredient - We harvest our spirulina from algae grown naturally in mineral-rich alkaline lakes. It's then...
- Don't Compromise on Quality - When it comes to your health, you should never have to compromise with low-standard products. Lone...
- One Month's Supply - When using the included 1 tsp scoop, Lone Star Botanical's blue spirulina pouch yields approximately 30...
- SUPER VALUE: Our 100% Pure Organic Spirulina comes in a 2.2 pound (1 KG) container. Ounce for ounce, we offer the least expensive...
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Our Organic Spirulina Powder meets the strict organic standards of the USDA. Having USDA certification...
- LAB-TESTED, CONTAMINANT FREE, AND 100% PURE: Our Organic Spirulina Powder is third-party tested by an independent lab, and is free...
- MESS-FREE CONTAINER: Our Organic Spirulina Powder is packaged in an air-tight, mess-free container. The container is easy to open...
- GOLD STANDARD PRODUCTION: Your health and safety mean everything to us. For that reason, our Organic Spirulina Powder is...
- SPIRULINA POWDER: Enjoy this blue-green algae super food in any beverage for a nutritional boost
- QUALITY INGREDIENTS: Features 8,000 mg of vegan spirulina per serving of powder
- ROOTED IN WELLNESS: Carlyle provides premium, honest supplements in your pursuit to healthy living
- CARLYLE MANUFACTURERS: Laboratory Tested, Trusted Ingredients, Superior Quality, 100% Guaranteed!
- VEGETARIAN FORMULA: Naturally free of Gluten, Artificial Flavor, Sweetener, Preservatives & Non-GMO
- 3 GRAMS OF RAW SPIRULINA POWDER: Contains 3g of spirulina powder
- PERFECT FOR EVERYDAY USE: The perfect daily green juice powder to promote a healthier lifestyle *
- EASY TO TAKE: Just add it to water, juice, or smoothie
- CERTIFIED: Non GMO, Gluten Free, Corn Free, Soy Free, Vegan & Paleo Friendly
- INGREDIENTS YOU CAN TRUST: No chemicals, irradiation, herbicides, pesticides, or fillers
- MULTITUDE OF HEALTH BENEFITS - Our chlorella spirulina 50/50 powder mix combines two of the most nutrient-dense superfoods on...
- STRONG NUTRITIONAL PROFILE - The blue-green algae contained in our chlorella spirulina is an excellent source of vitamins,...
- EASY TO DIGEST - We use a patented, low-pressure flash expansion technique to source our organic chlorella spirulina. The cracked...
- HEALTHIEST GROWING ENVIRONMENT - We carefully cultivate our chlorella and spirulina to produce the highest quality powder...
- 3 MONTH SUPPLY - Each bag contains 100 servings of chlorella spirulina which, following the daily recommended dose of 2g, will...
- Get your daily dose of one of nature’s original superfoods with Pure Hawaiian Spirulina; We grow it naturally on our farm in...
- Pure Hawaiian Spirulina supports healthy aging by boosting the immune system, provides nourishment for a healthy and active...
- Take 1 tsp daily on its own or mix it into food or a beverage; An excellent source of vitamins A, K1, K2, B12, iron as well as...
- Our spirulina is vegetarian, vegan, and free of GMOs, gluten, lactose, soy, pesticides, herbicides, and solvents
- Grown on our sustainable Hawaiian farm with natural sunlight and lava-filtered water; A healthy environment for healthy products...
- Blue Green Queen: Spirulina organic powder is a nutritious blue green algae packed with organic protein, amino acids, and vitamins...
- Energy Booster: This super greens powder gives an energizing boost to blood iron levels, which promotes oxygen circulation within...
- Promotes Digestion: Green blue spirulina is truly a superfood powder due to being rich in chlorophyll. It may also help strengthen...
- Antioxidant Rich: This blue green juice powder derives its potent anti-inflammatory properties from phycocyanin & beta carotene,...
- Premium Quality: Our spirulina powder organic is processed in a GMP & NSF certified facility. Each batch is also lab tested by a...
Buying Guide to Select the Best Spirulina Powders
Without a doubt, spirulina is a superfood with great potential for improving people’s health. However, it is crucial that before buying it, you should keep in mind all the information possible to understand if it is the right supplement for you.
If so, you will have the opportunity to take advantage of all its numerous properties.
We hope to answer some of your concerns regarding spirulina supplements in the following sections.
What Is Spirulina Exactly?
Spirulina is popularly considered an alga because it grows in water, has the ability to perform photosynthesis, and, when grouped together, forms blue-green filaments.
However, the supplement we know by the name of spirulina is actually a photosynthetic spiral-shaped cyanobacterium. When it grows and reaches a sufficient density, it is dried and pulverized to be consumed in the form of a powder, or administered in the form of capsules or tablets.
What Is Spirulina Used for And Why Is It so Important?
First of all, spirulina has a great nutritional profile which consists of:
- 57-60% of its dry weight in the form of proteins, which contain all the essential amino acids. So those that humans must forcefully take from foods or supplements because our body cannot synthesize them.
- About 20% of complex carbohydrates.
- Between 5% and 7% fat, with a predominance of omega3 and omega 6.
- It also contains iron, zinc, magnesium, manganese, potassium, selenium, calcium, and sodium.
What Other Benefits Does Spirulina Offer Us?
Spirulina has other benefits that go beyond its nutritional intake and constitute a real opportunity to improve health and well-being. For this, it is considered a superfood with properties:
- Energizing and revitalizing
- Satiating and capable of suppressing appetite
- Hypoglycemic agents (decreases fasting and after eating glucose levels)
Why Is Everyone Talking About Spirulina?
Despite being a millennial food, the interest of health professionals and western scholars on the health-giving properties of this microalga has only been born for a few dozen years.
One of the first acknowledgments of spirulina’s vast health benefits dates back to the year 1974 when it was declared as ‘the best food for the future’ at the World Food Conference of the United Nations (UN).
Why Should You Take Spirulina?
Anyone who has consumed this supplement for some time can testify about its benefits:
- The increased energy level and revitalizing sensation. Less tiredness and fatigue.
- Less appetite and greater satiety. So you have the feeling of being satisfied and satisfied even for many hours after a meal.
- Improvement of insulin resistance and decrease in blood sugar.
Why Is a Spirulina Powder Recommended to Combat Fatigue?
Spirulina powder is a mixture of minerals and vitamins. Many of these collaborate in the metabolic reactions that take place in our body to extract energy from nutrients.
Since fatigue can be the result of the lack of vitamins and minerals involved in the energy transformation, this supplement ensures that the body has the necessary nutrients to degrade nutrients into energy.
On the other hand, this microalga is recommended for preventing or treating anemia, since it provides a large amount of iron and folate. Both nutrients are a critical factor in the production of red blood cells in the bone marrow.
Is It True that Spirulina Is an Almost Essential Supplement for Vegans?
In reality, even a very potent supplement cannot replace a balanced diet. So spirulina can be an excellent ally for vegan people to improve their nutrient intake, but global nutrition must be well planned and overhauled by nutrition professionals.
Be that as it may, this microalga is an essential source of protein for vegans because they are proteins of high biological value that contain the essential amino acids that the human body cannot produce on its own. Besides, it is rich in iron, zinc, and folate, nutrients that are usually lacking in a vegan diet.
That said, vegan people can significantly improve their nutritional intake if they combine this supplement with a balanced diet.
Is spirulina a source of Vitamins?
You will probably notice that the nutritional labels of all spirulina supplements all report a considerable intake of vitamin B12. Even some users report algae as a source of the high nutrient. In reality, this information is incorrect and risky.
Spirulina contains a false vitamin B12, which is not functional. This means that it does not have the same role as true vitamin B12 in the body.
The risk is that many vegan people believe that with spirulina (or any other algae) they can cover the need for this vitamin, but eventually develop a deficiency.
Is It Okay to Take Spirulina to Lower Cholesterol and Triglycerides?
In complete safety, the lipid-lowering effects of spirulina are one of the most significant benefits of taking this supplement. This is because they contain omega 3, omega 6, and soluble fiber.
There is a great deal of scientific research that enhances the effectiveness of spirulina supplements to reduce total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol (the ‘bad’), and triglycerides in the blood.
This decreases the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, which is the world’s leading cause of death, according to the World Health Organization.
What Does It Mean that Spirulina Has Antioxidant Properties?
Betacarotene, vitamin E, and spirulina chlorophyll have antioxidant activity, which means that they block free radicals that cause oxidative damage to cells.
Cardiovascular diseases, cancer, fibromyalgia, and neurodegenerative diseases (Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, Parkinson’s disease) are pathologies that also develop as a consequence of oxidative stress. That’s why it’s essential to take spirulina supplements to prevent these diseases as much as possible.
Are There Any Contraindications to Using Spirulina Supplements?
Spirulina supplements are generally well tolerated by the healthy adult population and are very unlikely to cause side effects. No interactions with medicines are known.
However, the following people must first ask their family doctor if they can take spirulina to prevent undetected risks and interactions:
- The children
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
- People with kidney, liver or hormonal diseases
- Anyone who is taking medication for a chronic disease
- Why is it important not to exceed the recommended doses for spirulina supplements?
Generally, the recommended dose of spirulina powder is 2 to 3 grams per day, and, if it is a tablet, 4 to 6 units per day.
It is essential not to exceed the quantities mentioned above as some nutrients, such as iron and vitamin E, are accumulated in the body and can cause side effects if in excess.
How to Take Spirulina Powder For Weight Loss?
To take advantage of the satiating capacity and the appetite suppressing effect of spirulina, it is advisable to take the supplement 15 to 30 minutes before the main meals, accompanying it with plenty of water.
The mucilages of spirulina absorb water and gel in the stomach. This gel lasts several hours in the digestive tract, prolonging the feeling of satiety and helping to control hunger. This way, you eat less during the day and promote weight loss.
What Kind of Spirulina Supplements Are There and Which One Might Be Right for Me?
Spirulina supplements can be divided into two broad groups: in powder and in tablets. Below, we explain the characteristics of each, as well as the advantages and disadvantages.
Spirulina powder comes in bags or jars whose content usually ranges from 100 to 500 grams. We recommend taking 2 to 3 grams per day, mixing it with water, fruit juices, smoothies, yogurt, condiments, soups, etc …
In order to choose the powder supplement, it is essential that you like the peculiar flavor of spirulina.
Spirulina in Tablets
The supplement in tablets or capsules consists of spirulina powder mixed with a small amount of magnesium stearate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, or silica. Its flavor is light, and just take it with plenty of water.
The caloric intake of the supplement in tablets, such as that in powder, is insignificant. Regarding the nutritional composition, there are no significant differences with spirulina powder. Tablets and capsules usually take longer to assimilate than spirulina powder.
This is the ideal option if you don’t like the taste of spirulina. Furthermore, since they can be quickly taken even outside the home, the tablets and capsules are very comfortable to carry around.
Once you have decided to improve your health and nutritional status with the spirulina supplement, you need to take into consideration some characteristics to select the best offer for you.
Spirulina has an intense and unique flavor, very noticeable in the powder supplement. So if you don’t like its taste, you have to opt for tablets or capsules, since they only have a slight aroma.
If it is the first time you buy this supplement and you want to try spirulina powder, we recommend opting for a small package, for example, 100 grams.
The tablets and capsules are much more comfortable to take, store and carry, while the powder version must be mixed with water or another liquid (soups, vegetable drinks, juices, etc …).
This is a fundamental point, given that spirulina must be produced ecologically and under strict controls. It easily contaminates with toxic agents and heavy metals (mercury leads, arsenic, cadmium) if these substances are present where it is grown.
Besides, vegan people must make sure that the ingredients of the tablets and the composition of the capsules are 100% of plant origin.
Presence of Gluten, Lactose, and Allergens
Spirulina is gluten, lactose, and allergen-free, so a supplement should not contain them. However, it may have been processed where these substances are present and may have been contaminated. Check carefully what the package says about it.