If you like exercising and exercising, a good idea is to get dumbbells. So you won’t have to avoid exercising when you don’t feel like leaving the house. Dumbbells require little space and are excellent for muscle regeneration. In addition, they tone the muscles and allow you to train in a fun way.
We know that sometimes the gym seems very far away. Or simply, it’s cold and you don’t want to prepare for a session. It is understandable, but with the dumbbells, you have no excuse. You can also train when zapping on the sofa. Listening to music while working out with dumbbells is also allowed.
Here we had listed out the best quality dumbbells that are present below.
Everything You Need to Know About Dumbbells
There are several types of dumbbells on the market. Basically, they are divided into a compact, fixed weight, or adjustable dumbbells. The latter allows the weights to vary a lot, they are ideal for people accustomed to exercising. In any case, below we answer the most frequently asked questions from users.
What Are Dumbbells and What Are They For?
They are tools made up of a bar and weight on each side. These weights can vary a lot, depending on the user’s needs. They are usually used to exercise and the main goal is usually the building of muscle mass. Generally, two are used at the same time. In other words, one handlebar per hand.
Who Are Dumbbells Suitable For?
For both men and women who are healthy and want to train to increase their strength. Sometimes they are also indicated for medical rehabilitation. They are ideal for toning muscles and can help you lose weight. Obviously with the proper diet. Dumbbells take up little space and are ideal for exercising at home.
What Are the Advantages of Dumbbells?
There are many benefits of dumbbells, such as being able to train without leaving home. In addition, strength training is one of the best ways to lose weight and build muscle. Not to mention the price, generally affordable. Below we show you other benefits of these tools in the following list:
- Affordable from an economic point of view. No special equipment is needed and they are cheaper than other gym equipment.
- Wide range of exercises. Dumbbells are versatile and allow you to do a wide range of exercises, unlike weight machines.
- Little space. One of the great advantages of dumbbells is that they require very little space. Both to carry out the chosen exercise and for their custody.
- Progressive training. Unlike those in the gym, domestic dumbbells are adjustable and allow you to gradually increase the load.
- They stimulate coordination. When exercising with dumbbells, exercise with the whole body at the same time. This promotes coordination and balance skills.
- Strengthening of bones. Power training strengthens bones and prevents diseases such as osteoporosis.
- Do exercises to increase strength generate too many muscles in women?
No. It is a widespread myth, but it has no scientific basis. Firstly, women gain less muscle than men because they have less testosterone. Secondly, a diet with a high intake of calories and proteins is required for real muscle gain. If you are a woman, you will not lose your femininity.
What Types of Dumbbells Exist?
Basically, there are fixed weight dumbbells or adjustable or variable weight dumbbells on the market. As the name indicates, the adjustable dumbbells allow you to select the weight according to the chosen exercise. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages, as we will see later:
- Fixed Weight Dumbbells: They are comfortable because they are one-piece. They are safe since they are usually coated with a material such as plastic or rubber (rubber). Unfortunately, weights cannot be added or removed.
- Adjustable Dumbbells: You can adjust the weights according to the exercise and choose from a wide range of models as needed. However, a lot of time is wasted adjusting the weights according to the exercise.
What Materials Are the Dumbbells Made Of?
The dumbbells are made with different materials. Depending on your budget and if you are a beginner or a sports professional, you will prefer one or the other type. For example, doing light exercise is not the same as lifting heavyweights.
Below, we present some materials usually used for the manufacture of handlebars:
- Iron Dumbbells: They are the most traditional and are usually aimed at professionals. Generally, it is necessary to use gloves, but sometimes the handle is covered with other materials to facilitate the grip. In certain cases, discs may be added to increase weight.
- Neoprene Dumbbells: They facilitate the grip even if you sweat and don’t require gloves. Usually, neoprene (synthetic rubber) is a coating.
- Plastic Dumbbells: They are generally inexpensive and are aimed at beginners, so they do not have large weights at the ends.
- Chrome Dumbbells: They are more professional than iron ones and are aimed at professional athletes. Weights are usually very high.
Before buying a set of dumbbells it is essential to keep in mind a few factors. There is a wide range of dumbbells on the market, so you should choose the one that best suits your needs. Below, we suggest the most important criteria to consider to make a good purchase.
- Length of the bar
It is important that you have clear goals when you start doing dumbbell exercises. If what you want to do are aerobic exercises, fixed weight dumbbells will suffice. They are relatively cheap and you can buy different weights (0.5 kg or 1 kg per arm) to begin with.
If you are looking to gain muscle and lose fat you should opt for dumbbells with adjustable weights. The adjustable dumbbells allow you to increase the weights progressively.
An important question when buying dumbbells is knowing how much weight you can lift with each arm. Try with household items first to find out which one is right for you. If you want to do exercises for the whole body try it by doing a squat. Finally, if you are a beginner we recommend that you start with 1 or 2 kg maximum.
It seems obvious, however, space can be a determining factor. Dumbbells can be very bulky. It depends on the space you have available, so consider the size of the dumbbells well. The adjustable ones can be very suitable if you have a large space to do the exercises. The gymnastics ones take up little space.
Length of The Bar
Consider the length of the dumbbell bar based on the space available. The length of the bar also limits the maximum weight of each end. For example, for dumbbells weighing 25 kilograms, the length is usually 35 centimeters. Keep this factor in mind and don’t hesitate to ask other users before buying.
Depending on the exercises, you may need additional accessories. If you plan to lift a lot of weight on each arm, you will need gloves to avoid blisters on the hands. You will also need a mat or mat to perform the exercises. The mat must be made of rubber thick enough to cushion any falling off the handlebars.