The world of multivitamin supplements and nutritional products can be a little disconcerting for a newcomer. With so many vitamins, minerals, enzymes and chemical compounds available, choosing a product becomes almost impossible. But what if we told you that a single pill could help you achieve your goals in a simple, safe and effective way?
Multivitamins supplements contain a series of nutrients formulated to meet the daily requirement of vitamins and minerals necessary to maintain an optimal state of health.
Multivitamins are not considered drugs and, therefore, the control exercised over them is rather bland and may appear to be ineffective products. A good quality multivitamin can help maintain optimal health and reduce the likelihood of certain diseases appearing.
In this article, we will introduce you to the ten main multivitamin supplements and explain how to choose the most suitable product for you. Keep reading!
- Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet can be difficult, especially when you lead a busy lifestyle. We’ve created our Men’s...
- Our Men’s Multivitamin promotes general health and wellbeing. It’s important to give your body all the help it needs amidst...
- Multivitamins that pack a punch. Our team of nutritional scientists has specially chosen 20 vitamins, minerals and acids and...
- This supplement promotes the things that are most important for your performance - stamina, energy and focus. Each serving helps...
- Our Men’s Multivitamins are made in the USA from global ingredients in a GMP-Certified facility. They are non-GMO, vegetarian,...
- One 200 count bottle of Centrum Silver Multivitamin for Men 50 Plus, Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement with Vitamin D3,...
- Vitamins for men 50 plus that are clinically shown to support cognitive health in older adults (1)
- Supports memory and cognition as you age (1)
- Senior multivitamins for men 50 and over that help support immune health, and has Vitamin D to help support bone health and muscle...
- Vitamins for eye health and zinc supplements that are Non-GMO and gluten free (1, 3, 4)
- 200 count bottle of Centrum Adult Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement with Antioxidants such as Vitamins C and E, and Zinc,...
- Vitamins for women and men with iron, antioxidants and B Vitamins for energy, metabolism and immunity support (1)
- 23 micronutrients including Vitamin D3 to support bone health, B Vitamins for metabolism support and antioxidants for immune...
- Vitamin supplements with 100 percent or more of the daily value of iron, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin B12
- Each bottle of these vitamins with both iron and zinc contains 200 easy-to-take tablets to help you maintain your overall health...
- One 250 count bottle of Centrum Multivitamins for Men, Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement with Vitamin D3, B Vitamins and...
- These daily vitamins for men are specially formulated with B Vitamins to help support metabolism and Vitamins C, E and...
- Men's multivitamin features Vitamins C, E and Beta-Carotene and Zinc to provide immunity support, B Vitamins to support energy...
- These men's multivitamins contain B Vitamins as well as Vitamins C, D and E
- Metabolism support vitamins and iron supplements available in easy-to-take tablet form made with Non-GMO (3), and gluten free...
- Womens Multivitamin Gummies: These strawberry vegan multivitamin gummies are formulated to give women the vitamin boost they need....
- Powerful Blend: Vitamin A supports tissue and bone repair and good vision. Vitamin C supports the muscular system, connective...
- Multiple Benefits: This blend includes B vitamins that aid in blood cell production, DNA production and regulating gene...
- Easy-to-Chew Gummies: No more hard-to-swallow pills or capsules! Women, ages 14+, take 2 gummies per day or as recommended by a...
- For Most Lifestyles: Multivitamin Gummies for Women by MaryRuth's are Non-GMO [Project Verified], Vegan, Pectin Based, No Gelatin,...
- MADE FOR PLANT-BASED PEOPLE - The science-backed multivitamin formulated with the vegan vitamins, minerals and omega-3s to support...
- FORMULATED WITH PLANTS - The multivitamin contains nutrient forms derived from food-based sources you know like fermented marine...
- QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST - The delayed-release, no-nausea capsules can be taken at any time of day, with or without food. Each batch...
- TASTES LIKE CITRUS - Each bottle contains an all-natural scent pack to infuse your two-capsule daily dose with a delicious citrus...
- SUSTAINABLE PACKAGING - The 30-day supply comes in a glass bottle and an FSC-certified paper tube. Reuse your glass bottle: You...
- ⭐ WHOLE FOOD MULTIVITAMIN no IRON MADE WITH ORGANIC FRUITS AND VEGETABLES - Premium All Natural & All Vegan - NO Artificial...
- ⭐ THIS MENS & WOMENS MULTIVITAMIN PROVIDES 100% OF THE DAILY REQUIREMENT FOR OPTIMUM NUTRITION AND COMPLETE MULTI-SYSTEM...
- ⭐ ADVANCED FORMULA THAT BOOSTS YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM- This advanced formula includes Vitamin C, Zinc, Mushroom Blend, Herb Blend...
- ⭐ NOURISH YOUR BODY WITH THE BEST- With 25 vitamins & minerals and over 35 real whole foods this multivitamin provides your body...
- ⭐ OUR CUSTOMERS' SATISFACTION IS OUR MAIN PRIORITY! If for any reason you aren’t fully satisfied with our product, we'll...
- Essential for Men Multivitamin 50+ is the scientifically-developed multivitamin with 10 key nutrients for men 50+. Our formula is...
- Made Traceable: Our world-class scientists scoured the globe for high quality ingredients when formulating Essential for Men...
- Non-GMO Project Verified: We trust NSF, one of the world’s leading certifying bodies to verify Essential for Men Multivitamin...
- Smart Capsule: Innovative beadlet in oil technology keeps fat soluble and water soluble forms separated, within a single capsule,...
- Third Party Tested: Every lot must pass our rigorous third party testing review for heavy metals, major allergens, and microbes....
- Multivitamin for Men and Women: Our pure daily A, C, D, E, K, B6, B12 plus Biotin vitamin mineral blend is designed to help...
- 21 Key Vitamins and Minerals: Simplify your day and diet, Primal Multivitamin makes nutritional support both convenient and...
- Energy & Antioxidants: Formulated with high potency antioxidants, like vitamin E and vitamin C, to help keep your skin feeling...
- Made in the USA, Highest Quality Manufacturing: Each product undergoes vigorous lab testing at multiple stages. Third-party lab...
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Your satisfaction is our utmost priority. That's why we provide a 90-day money-back guarantee, no...
- One A Day Men's Pre-Conception health is a complete multivitamin specially designed to provide nutritional support while trying to...
- With powerful antioxidants including Vitamin C, Vitamin E, selenium, zinc, and Lycopene which support healthy sperm
- For future dads, we recommend taking our Pre-Conception multivitamin for men at least 3 months before conception
- Directions: adult men take 1 tablet daily with food
- One A Day Men's Pre-Conception health is free of gluten, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors, high fructose corn syrup, and...
Factors to Consider While Choosing the Best Multivitamin Supplements
When choosing a multivitamin supplements, a variety of factors must be considered, such as the quality of the ingredients, the effectiveness of the combination of nutrients or the value for money.
What Exactly Is a Multivitamin?
A multivitamin is a supplement that brings three or more vitamins and minerals, contributing to the maintenance of good health. The combination of these nutrients will vary from supplement to supplement and, before making our purchase, it will be necessary to precisely define which benefit we want to obtain.
These products are particularly useful for dealing with situations of deficiencies caused by insufficient nutrition, a stressful lifestyle or any other vital need that produces a nutritional imbalance in the body. There are also multivitamins intended for more specific situations, such as pregnancy and breastfeeding.
What Vitamins Are Found in Multivitamin Supplements?
A vitamin is an essential substance for the well-being of the human body. These microscopic compounds regulate cellular functioning and are fundamental for survival. However, these molecules cannot be synthesized by the body and can only be obtained through food.
Not all multivitamin supplements are created equal. There are infinite combinations of essential nutrients that combine to create a large variety of products. Our age, gender, health conditions and the degree of activity will determine some specific nutritional needs that will be integrated with the most suitable multivitamin.
In any case, there are a number of vitamins that are used almost constantly in this type of product. In the following table, you can find a useful summary relating to the essential molecules that fall within the composition of most multivitamins, together with a small summary of their main functions.
B1 Carbohydrate metabolism and maintenance of nervous system health.
B2 (riboflavin) Transformation of nutrients into energy, maintenance of vision, maintenance of skin integrity and elimination of toxic substances (“detox” function).
B3 Energy metabolism, DNA repair, elimination of toxic substances and hormone production.
B5 (pantothenic acid) Protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism and maintenance of skin and capillary integrity (ongoing research in this regard).
B6 DNA repair, cell growth and conservation and maintenance of the immune system.
B7 (biotin) Protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism, energy production, cell growth and control of blood sugar levels.
B9 (folic acid) DNA repair, cell growth and conservation and maintenance of nervous system health.
B12 DNA repair, cell growth and conservation, maintenance of nervous system health and synthesis of red blood cells.
C Antioxidant function, increased absorption of nutrients, collagen formation and maintenance of the immune system.
D Calcium absorption, repair and creation of bones, maintenance of the immune system and preservation of cardiovascular health.
IS Powerful cellular antioxidant, maintenance of the nervous system.
K Antihemorrhagic function (coagulation), repair and creation of bones, maintenance of the immune system and preservation of cardiovascular health.
Although most multivitamins contain some combination of the vitamins described here, it will be better to choose a product that offers us a greater quantity of those nutrients that our diet is unable to provide us. For example, vegans and vegetarians will benefit from a supplement that provides enough vitamin B12.
Consequences of Vitamin Deficiency
If the recommended nutritional needs are not met, imbalances will occur in our body, which will affect our health in the short and long term. The most common symptoms will be nonspecific, such as exhaustion, general malaise, and a greater propensity to get sick. The deficiency of certain vitamins will provoke more specific manifestations:
- Vitamin A deficiency will cause night vision difficulties. If this deficit continues over time, the immune system and cellular regeneration capacity will also be affected.
- The deficiency of vitamins B1, B2, B2, B5 and B6 will adversely affect energy production, hindering the absorption and use of nutrients and, ultimately, energy production.
- Folic acid deficiency (B9) can cause anaemia, canker sores and the premature appearance of grey hair. In pregnant women, the frequency of fetal malformations will increase.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency is particularly problematic for vegans and vegetarians. It can cause anaemia, neurological symptoms (such as limb numbness, memory loss and mood swings) and digestive symptoms (especially loss of appetite and constipation).
- Vitamin C deficiency will cause fatigue and hinder the functions of the immune system. A serious deficiency could lead to the onset of scurvy, a disease that is very rare today and is manifested by abundant bleeding, gum disease and psychiatric disorders.
- A deficiency of vitamin D will affect the absorption of calcium and its integration in the bones, raising the risk of suffering fractures and suffering from osteoporosis. This deficit will also affect cardiovascular health, causing hypertension and other heart conditions.
- Vitamin E deficiency can cause premature ageing. In addition, a serious deficiency will damage the nervous system and affect cognitive ability, impairing memory and learning.
- A decrease in vitamin K levels will affect the body’s clotting and healing abilities, leading to abundant bleeding and preventing wounds from healing.
Knowing the main symptoms associated with hypovitaminosis (deficiency of one or more vitamins) will help us detect and treat any imbalance before our health is affected. Remember that stress and unhealthy lifestyle habits (drugs, poor nutrition and sedentary lifestyle) will aggravate these symptoms.
What Other Substances Are Found in Multivitamin Supplements?
In addition to vitamins, multivitamins can contain other nutrients necessary for the proper functioning of our body. Many multivitamin supplements contain one or more minerals (inorganic substances necessary for the maintenance of body functions and which should be obtained through the diet).
The most used are:
Although this mineral is best known for being present in the teeth and bones, it is also essential for other vital processes such as blood clotting and muscle contraction. A deficiency of this will cause generalized weakness and affect bone health, increasing the chances of suffering fractures and suffering from rickets and osteoporosis.
This element is necessary for the transfer of gas (especially oxygen) into the blood and muscles. One of its deficiencies, responsible for iron deficiency anaemia, affects women of childbearing age in particular.
Phosphorus also takes part in the formation of bones and teeth. In addition, this mineral intervenes in the synthesis of energy and in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. A deficiency of this will affect bone health and lead to generalized weakness.
This mineral is essential for the formation of new muscle tissue. In addition, it regulates the levels of other minerals. If its levels are too low, fatigue, weakness and mood changes will appear.
This mineral, often confused with magnesium, is essential for the hormonal synthesis and for the absorption and activation of other antioxidant substances, such as vitamin C. A deficiency of it will lead to alterations at all levels of the body (loss of hair loss, nail loss, bone weakness and growth changes).
This element is considered an antioxidant mineral that prevents premature ageing. In men, it can promote fertility, increasing sperm production.
This mineral regulates the correct absorption of iron; therefore, a decrease in iron could also be indirectly responsible for the appearance of anaemia. Furthermore, it is an essential element for energy production, keeping tiredness under control.
Some multivitamins, in addition to vitamins and minerals, may contain other additional substances. Plant extracts are widely used, such as ginseng (which brings energy and vitality and strengthens defenses), and chemicals such as coenzyme Q10 (a substance naturally present in the human body, responsible for 95% of energy production).
This type of product can also include healthy fatty acids (such as the well-known omega-3 acids, which keep the brain and heart healthy) and substances such as phosphatidylserine, a phospholipid that is part of cell membranes and has proven to be an effective protector of mental and intellectual functions.
Which Individuals Have a High Risk of Suffering from A Vitamin and Mineral Deficiency?
People at high risk of suffering from some type of food deficiency (especially vitamins or minerals) are those who, for some reason, have an increased need for nutrients or an excessive decrease in their absorption. As a result, we can classify these individuals into two groups:
Individuals with An Increase in Nutritional Needs
Children and adolescents have a greater nutritional need to be able to carry out hormonal, bone and brain growth and maturation processes. If their nutrition in these periods is not adequate, serious deficiencies may occur that will require medical supervision.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
The development of the fetus and the feeding of the newborn entail an overload on the mother’s body, which will need a greater nutritional intake in order to complete both processes. In these situations, doctors and midwives usually recommend using a multivitamin supplements.
Wound Healing and Convalescence
Sports injuries, accidental fractures, burns and any other type of traumatic event will cause destruction of tissues that will have to rebuild themselves using the nutrients present in the body. Obviously, this increases the need for minerals and vitamins.
Challenging Training Programs
Vigorous exercise stimulates muscle growth and repair. If you want an increase in muscle mass based on the physical effort made during training, it will be essential to provide a sufficient amount of nutrients to support the anabolic (growth) processes.
Stress causes the release into the bloodstream of dozens of hormones and chemicals necessary to face the different demands of daily life. Many minerals and vitamins will be consumed to create these chemicals, which increases the risk of suffering from some type of deficiency.
Individuals with A Deficiency in Nutritional Intake
The body of older people is less efficient when it comes to absorbing the nutrients of the diet. In addition, the appetite may decrease due to the reduction of the sense of smell and taste. Added to this is a higher frequency of fractures and diseases, with the consequence that this category of individuals presents a higher risk of presenting deficiencies.
Weight Loss Diets
Diets that aim to decrease body mass can be very restrictive. A poorly varied or insufficient diet will not bring the right amount of nutrients, increasing the risk of suffering from a deficiency of vitamins and minerals.
Vegans and vegetarians
A vegetable-based diet need not be unbalanced. However, there are some essential nutrients (such as vitamin B12) that are present exclusively in foods of animal origin. For this reason, vegans and vegetarians have a higher risk of suffering from some vitamin deficiencies.
Individuals with reduced intestinal function (such as in Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis or following bariatric surgery) will have difficulty absorbing nutrients from the diet properly. These people will present a high risk of suffering from some type of nutritional imbalance.
These deficiencies will be even more serious if a person falls into more than one of these groups. For example, a vegan pregnant woman will have to be very careful about her nutritional situation (possibly under the supervision of a doctor) because the risk of suffering from some deficiency of vitamins or minerals will be particularly high.
Unfortunately, diseases, some physiological conditions (such as pregnancy) and certain feeding styles (such as vegan, vegetarian, paleo or ketogenic diets) will make it more difficult to supply all the necessary nutrients through the diet. In this case, a multivitamin supplements can help to achieve these nutritional goals.
How to Take a Multivitamin supplements?
Although multivitamins are quite popular supplements, many people do not know how to use them to make the most of them, simply taking “one tablet at any time”. If you want to take your multivitamin effectively, and make intelligent use of it, carefully read the information collected in the following paragraphs:
At What Time to Take the Multivitamin
Some nutrients have an energizing effect and should be taken in the early hours of the morning. These substances are vitamin C, group B vitamins (except B3) and vitamin D. Instead, vitamin B3 and magnesium have relaxing effects and should be taken in the evening.
The water-soluble vitamins (groups B and C) must be dissolved in water and can be absorbed effectively with or without food. Instead, the fat-soluble vitamins (A, E and K), to be absorbed, require fat and must, therefore, be taken together with food.
Most Appropriate Multivitamin Dose
Experts advise choosing a multivitamin supplements that offers 100% of the recommended daily dose of the chosen nutrients. Products with lower RDA may be ineffective, while products that exceed this parameter may cause dangerous overdoses of vitamins and minerals.
You can also consider more specific advice, depending on your personal habits. For example, if you want to increase your iron intake, take your supplement with orange juice. And remember that coffee reduces the absorption of most nutrients: drink it one or two hours after the multivitamin.
What Is the Price of A Multivitamin Supplement?
The price of multivitamins will vary enormously depending on the amount of nutrients included in each formulation, the prestige of the manufacturer and the additional ingredients (such as plant extracts) present in the product.
Exclusive formulations (those that contain active molecules, innovative enzymes or substances that are difficult to synthesize) will have a much higher price than their simpler competitors. But the effectiveness of these modern elements has not yet been proven with certainty. Fortunately, the most beneficial substances are also the cheapest.
Unfortunately, when searching for the perfect multivitamin, you will find many products of questionable quality. If you want to make the right decision, pay attention to the following purchase criteria and take them into consideration when buying a multivitamin supplements:
Allergies and In-tolerances
The ingredients of multivitamins have very different origins: plant, animal and mineral elements. If you suffer from some type of intolerance, before buying remember to inform you about the supplement. Fortunately, there are many gluten, lactose, dried fruit and soy products.
On the other hand, if you follow a strict vegan or vegetarian diet, you will have to limit yourself to multivitamins without ingredients of animal origin. These multivitamin supplements will feature a vegan quality label on the packaging that will ensure that they have been produced entirely with 100% plant-based ingredients.
If you comply with some general recommendations (such as those that we have illustrated in the course of this article), multivitamins can be used safely. However, by introducing these products into their usual diet, some people experience gastrointestinal complaints.
Usually, such ailments (flatulence, the heaviness of stomach and swelling) do not indicate any serious pathology. You can alleviate them by taking the supplement along with meals. If you are inclined to suffer from gastrointestinal disorders, choose a multivitamin specially designed for people with a stomach ache and avoid iron-containing formulations.
In your supplement, you can find numerous additional ingredients. For the most part, these are enzymes (which generate chemical reactions) or plant extracts. If you notice an unknown substance in your multivitamin, do a quick search on that ingredient to make sure it’s effective and safe. Some of these elements are:
Ginseng: Medicinal plant widely used in traditional Chinese medicine. Many healing and energizing effects are attributed to it.
Gingko Biloba: Plant native to China. It is attributed to properties that promote circulation and improve blood clotting.
Guarana: Amazonian shrub with stimulating properties similar to those of caffeine.
Chamomile: Plant traditionally used as a treatment for stomach upset, flatulence and agitation.
Valerian: Medicinal plant with sedative and relaxing effects.
Coenzyme Q10: Enzyme responsible for the formation of energy in the human body.
Omega-3: Fatty acid essential for cardiovascular and brain health.
Phosphatidylserine: Substance that is part of cell membranes, promotes neuronal functions.
L-Theanine: Green tea extract which has anxiolytic and antioxidant properties.
Caffeine: Known stimulant and metabolism activator.
Method of Hiring
Generally, multivitamin supplements are marketed in the form of tablets, and only one per day is needed to benefit from all its effects. However, you can also purchase these products in the form of powder or liquid. Choose the most suitable format for you: the effectiveness of the multivitamin will remain unchanged.
Sweeteners and Dyes
We recommend that you choose a multivitamin free of artificial colors and sweeteners. Although these additives are usually used to impart a better flavor or smell to the supplement, they can cause intestinal ailments and very unpleasant allergic reactions. If possible, choose a product with 100% organic and natural ingredients.
Value for Money
The use of multivitamin supplements usually lasts for a period of one to three months. We recommend that you choose a product that contains enough capsules, powder or liquid to be used for thirty days or more. If you need to save, remember that you can wait for the discounts: these multivitamin supplements take years to expire.
Multivitamins are a safe choice for taking your first steps in the world of food supplements. Their balanced formulation designed to counteract the most frequent nutritional deficiencies in our society brings us well-being at hand. One tablet per day will be all you need to supplement your diet!
Remember that daily exercise, a healthy diet and a life free of tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs will be your true allies when maintaining an optimal state of health. However, a good multivitamin supplements can be useful to preserve the balance necessary to enjoy a full and active life, even in the most difficult moments.