The charm of vintage objects never dies, and it seems genuinely incredible that among these, there are also typewriters. By now they can be considered obsolete for working and mostly cover the function of furnishing object.
However, on the market, there are working models that can also boast a beautiful design. Reading this page, it will be possible to understand which features to look for in a good typewriter and buy the right model by making a good investment.
Although not so old, typewriters are objects considered obsolete, now replaced by faster and more practical PCs both in the office and at home.
The charm of vintage, however, never dies; many users look for typewriters on the market that evoke the memory of a distant past. Here we will be listing the top 10 best electric typewriters.
- Portable electronic typewriter
- One-line correction memory
- Word and character erase
- Automatic centering, underlining and carriage return
- 13-inch carriage and 9-inch print width
- 13" Carriage
- 9" Typing width
- 45-Key, 17-function keyboard
- 20-Keystroke buffer
- 12 characters per second type speed
- 45 Key, 17 Function Keyboard; 12 Character per Second Type Speed
- 10, 12, 15 Pitch; 1, 1.5, 2 Line Spacing; Impression Control
- Automatic Underlining, Bold Typing, Superscript & Subscript
- Margin Set and Release, Indent, Decimal Tabulation - 12 Places
- Centering, Right Margin Flush, Auto Return, Relocation Feature
- Designed for the student, home user, or small business
- Professional touch keyboard
- 65-character correction memory
- Compact and portable
- Variety of automatic timesaving features
- Perfect type professional touch keyboard
- 70,000 word dictionary with error-locating FIND feature
- Line-by-line printing
- Automatic relocation after correction
- 1-Year limited warranty
- 【Easy to connect】:With the upgrade Bluetoooth 5.0 version,faster to switching between A to B or C Device.No longer complain...
- 【Switch lights at will】：You can adjust the white Led lights mode by pulling the lever, which is interesting when work. You...
- 【Built-in hot swap blue switch】:The classic typewriter style is integrate with premium hot swappable blue switch keyboard...
- 【Revisit retro style by modern technology】：Our panels are made by aluminum alloy metal electroplated wood grain, mate black...
- 【More Compatiblity】:Compatible with Cellphone,Tablet or laptop with Android, Windows10, iOS and Mac OS system.You can connect...
- Type in English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese
- Automatic paper insertion
- Automatic center, underline, bold, and right-margin printing
- 65-character correction memory with automatic relocation
- Perfectype professional touch keyboard
- STYLISH RETRO TYPEWRITER FOR THE MODERN MAKER: A fully functional typewriter, made with top-quality metal mechanics.
- ARTFUL DÉCOR: Doubles as an attractive and unique home décor piece.
- ADD A PERSONAL TOUCH: Quickly add eye-catching journaling to layouts, cards, invitations and much more.
- INCREDIBLE VERSATILITY: This typewriter is designed to be used with coordinating typecast paper accessories and unique colors of...
- 16k Storage Memory
- 20 Character LCD Display
- 100 Character Drop-In Printwheel
- 17 Function Keys
- 13-inch Paper Capacity
How to Choose Best Electric Typewriters?
Before rushing to purchase a model, we recommend comparing the prices of the appliances in the ranking, perhaps also reading the review to understand what their advantages and disadvantages are. As an additional help, we offer below a guide to the main features to look for in a good product.
It isn’t easy to think that you can work using a typewriter, while everyone else has a PC. However, this does not mean that amateur writers cannot prefer the drafting of their works by typing characters on a sheet of paper, perhaps even less straining their eyesight.
You will find working typewriters that allow all nostalgics to put the PC aside. Moreover, these models are also suitable for older adults who do not want to know about technology. However, it must be taken into account that it is difficult to find high performing typewriters, especially if you choose a model with a vintage look.
The best ones in terms of performance have a modern design and a keyboard similar to that of the PC that allows you to write at a reasonable speed.
Often when looking for the best brand typewriter, you can be perplexed to see how many of these objects have turned into ornaments.
The design of most models is reminiscent of that of the first typewriters, which leads consumers to buy them only for their aesthetic part.
Indeed, some articles are not functional and are limited to the function of ornament. If you want to buy a product to embellish a room or maybe to make a nice gift, you can only rely on your tastes; we can only advise you to look for a model built with good materials so that it can last in the time.
Speaking of gifts, if you have a friend or relative who is trying to quit smoking, a good idea would be to introduce them to electronic cigarettes: here are our reviews.
Lately, we have been complaining about the fact that children are always attached to their smartphone and tablet … well dear parents, if the little ones want to press keys, why not give them a nice typewriter?
At a meagre price, it will be possible to buy a colourful children’s model, fully functional by electricity. So the child can immediately start pressing keys and see the characters appear on the sheet, to learn the signs and read the first sentences.
It will undoubtedly be much healthier than being in front of a screen, and it could also help him develop a real passion for writing.
Do you know? Another idea appreciated by several parents to spend a few hours in an “analogue” way is to buy a good fishing rod for their children who can discover a new passion while having fun.
It is certainly not a novelty: even today, characterized by the destructuring of objects and reality, many prefer to return to using analogue things.
The typewriter lives a new life in the hands of enthusiasts who rediscover it, restructure it or buy new models with ancient functions.
They do it to feel the pleasure of contact with the manufactured object, the imprecise and uncertain mechanics of the keys. This paper runs along with the roller and the overwhelming feeling of imagining yourself writing as the great writers of the twentieth century did.
How do you use a typewriter? What secrets must be mastered to fully relive the feeling of typing just like the grown-ups did?
The Basics to Start Writing.
Those who have never had an old mechanic or electronics at home to play with as a child may not even know where to start.
The first steps are usually standard for all models powered or not by electricity it also be run on power supplies. It is a question of passing the sheet through the roller from back to front.
The crunch, the ticking, the mechanism that allows you to bring the sheet to the right height and lock it under the blank holder. These are all sensations with undeniable charm. In automatic models, it will be the same key that is used to carry the wrapping to capture the sheet and put it in position to start writing.
One of the precautions that cannot be overlooked is that of checking the voltage of electrical machines. It is important not to connect them to a different voltage because they could compromise the whole machine. Often they are not equipped with a fuse.
How to Understand the Differences Between the Different Models?
Electric machines are those that established themselves in the late 70s and spread throughout the 80s when computers still had prohibitive prices. Then came the 90s, the first Commodore and typewriters remained to collect dust.
Some machines have written (helped to write) the story. Hemingway also brought many with him to the trenches. Agatha Christie claimed that thanks to her Remington, she could better follow the narrative flow and carefully choose the words to use. Montanelli and his iconographic Letter 22 told the story of Italy as he pitted in front of him.
Each typewriter has specific characteristics. The best ones have precise and rigid mechanics at the same time. The bows alternate quickly, and the fingers sink a few centimetres into the body of the machine, with a stroke that leaps take letter after letter.
Understand the Assonances and Differences with The Computer Keyboard
A PC keyboard is a direct descendant. Some substantial differences contrast them and make the transition from one way of writing to another difficult.
At the computer, many text formatting functions are delegated to the writing program, such as the definition of the line spacing, the centring of the text, or tabulation.
The typewriters, on the other hand, have levers and keys that allow you to set the writing in upper case or lower case, and above all, the writing style and the subdivision of the paragraphs.