Today, external storage systems are prevalent, such as USB sticks and hard drives, which are getting smaller and more performing. Of course, this evolution has often hurt the further spread of burners, once widely used for storing files on media such as CDs and DVDs.
However, those who do not trust the durability of hard drives or practical USB sticks may still prefer the use of these products to secure photos, videos, and essential documents.
Right here we had listed out the best external cd drives. These drives are compatible with both Windows and Mac.
- Plug & play. Easy to use,powered by USB port. No external driver and Power needed. Just plug it into your USB port and the DVD driver will be detected
- High speed. Compatible with USB3. 0 and backwards compatible with USB2. 0 , bringing faster data transmission speed (up to a maximum of 5Gbps) and stable performance with strong fault tolerance
- Intelligent tech. Designed with eject button so that you never have to worry about your disc getting stuck inside this external CD/DVD drive. The copper mesh technology of this external component, you can be rest assured of stable data transmission
- Trendy design. Brushed texture shell brings trendy sight and touch enjoyment. Embedded cable design, worry- off cable missing any when and where
- Wide compatibility. Ideal for various devices. It supports Windows XP/2003/Vista/7/8. 1/10, Linux, all version Mac OS system. For the desktops, Please connect the device to the back USB port of the motherboard for normal use
- ※【New Design CD drive】NOLYTH CD drive is compatible with Mac/MacBook Pro/Air/Laptop/PC.Powered by USB-C/USB port and embedded cable design, made with Aluminum Alloy material of shockproof,low noise,anti-interference and high durability.NOLYTH external CD drive works well in burning/writing/reading for laptop/mac/pc.No driver program or extra power supply required.Don't need to install software to set for driver.
- ※【Easy to Use】This external DVD drive is very easy to use with brand NOLYTH,just plug and play,you just need to plug this external CD DVD drive into your USB C/USB port and it will be detected.NOLYTH external DVD drive is a perfect companion for computers without the internal drive.You can burn files,install software and create a backup CD.NOLYTH external CD DVD drive allows you to watch DVD/CD movies with no lag and burn music, movies to CD or DVD at any time.
- ※【High Speed】NOLYTH external DVD drive is equipped with USB C high speed interface,up to a maximum of 10Gbps and stable performance with strong fault tolerance.It is backwards compatible with USB3.0/USB 2.0 and USB1.0.Adopted unique intelligent burning technology,NOLYTH external DVD burner supported DVD+/-R/RW, CD/DVD-ROM, CD-R/RW. Max DVD read speed 8X; Max CD read speed 24X and max CD burn speed 8X.This external CD burner equipped with brand new chip and strong error-correction ability.
- ※【Widely Compatible】 NOLYTH external CD/DVD drive works for laptop/Mac/PC/Windows10/7/8/XP/Vista,all Version MAC OS.Specially designed to compatible with Mac/MacBook Pro/Air/Samsung/ASUS/HP/Dell/Sony/Acer and other Ultrabook,Netbook or Laptop/PC without internal drive but with USB C and USB interfaces.
- 📀【High Writing and Reading Speed】 Max 8x DVDR Write Speed and Max 24x CD Write Speed provide high writing and reading speed
- 📀【Wide Compatible】This external dvd cd drive is compatible with Windows 98 / SE / ME / 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows 10/8/7,Mac ios(ios 8.6 to 10.14). And perfect for PC, Laptop, Comprehensive Computer, Internal PC hard disk reader
- 📀【Plug and Play Technology】Powered by USB port so just plug it into your USB port and the DVD driver will be detected. Don’t need to install software to set up driver
- 📀【Advanced USB3.0 Technology】 USB 3.0 provides fast data transfer speed and stable performance to record CD/ music/ videos/ install software or create CD/DVD backup disc ( also compatible with USB2.0)
- 📀【Ingenious Design】 This ultra-slim CD/DVD player for laptops equipped with an eject button so that you needn't worry about your disc getting stuck inside this external CD/DVD drive. Besides, the copper mesh technology of this external component, you can be rest assured of stable data transmission
- 【5 in 1 DVD drive】NOLYTH external CD drive has independent slots for TF and SD Cards. Also, there are two additional USB 3.0 ports.This DVD drive supports to play and burn DVD/CD/Mini Disk. It can transfer photos and videos directly from SD / TF card into the computer, USB Hard Drive and flash drive. It also as a USB HUB with the 2 USB 3.0 inputs. It has slick RGB Lighting and it even shifts between different colors periodically once it is plugged in.
- 【Slots for TF and SD Cards】This external DVD drive has extra TF and SD card slot on the right side. On the computer we will use this on but don't have those options. So this DVD drive will help us to transfer photos and videos directly from our camera's memory card into the computer. Or into the USB flash drive and Hard Drive. It also transfer photos and videos from computer, USB Disk, hard drive directly into the TF and SD card.
- 【Extra 2 USB 3.0 Inputs】This external CD burner has 2 extra built-in USB 3.0 ports input next to the SD TF card slots. So it acts as an expansion device if your computer doesn't come with many. You can indeed run a mouse, keyboard, USB flash drive, mobile phone or similar. It helps us to transfer and charge like a USB HUB. ★ NOTE: SD card and TF card can't work together at the same time, only choose one each time.
- 【Plug and Play】NOLYTH external DVD burner can easily connect to a computer with the USB Type-C or USB 3.0 interface, plug and play with our data cable. No driver need. Works well for Laptop/MacBook Pro/Air/PC/Windows10. Burn files, install software and create a backup DVD/CD. ★ On note:Can't work with Car/TV/Projector/Chrome OS/Tablet/Smartphone.
- [HIGH SPEED] Compatible with USB 3.0 interface which brings users faster data transmission speed and more stable performance with strong fault tolerance. Moreover, it is also backwards compatible with USB 1.0 and USB 2.0. Higher transmission speed (up to Maximum of 5Gbps) means higher stability, faster reaction, less time waiting, and greater user experience.
- [PLUG & PLAY] Haiway External DVD Drive is easy to use. Users can just simply pull out the USB cable and plug the drive into any USB port of electronic devices with supported systems, it will just play automatically. No extra power or drive is needed.
- [TRENDY DESIGN] The appearance design of Haiway External DVD Drive is more trendy, fashionable, and portable. It is slim and lightweight, sensitive ejection button, and embedded USB cable design that users can bring and use it anywhere without any inconvenience.
- [MULTI-FUNCTIONAL] Haiway External DVD Drive is multi-functional that customers can use it to play music, watch movie, backup data, install program, and transfer files.
- [STRONG COMPATIBILITY] Haiway External DVD Drive supports various systems: Microsoft Windows XP/2003/Vista/7/8/10. Linux Os, Mac Os；and various devices: Laptop, Desktop, Mac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini and etc. For the desktops, Please connect the device to the USB port of the motherboard for normal use.
- ✔ENJOY LIFE EASILY: Our external DVD burner is powered by USB port, plug and play with tool-free installation and no driver needed. Just plug it into your USB port and CD burner will be detected automatically. Watching movies, listening to music, installing software, burning disc—Apiker USB CD player allows you enjoy your life more easily!
- ✔EFFORTLESS DATA TRANSFER: This external disk drive adopts advanced burning technology, provides Max 8x DVDR Write/Read Speed and Max 24x CD Write/Read speed. Compatible with USB3.0 and backwards compatible with USB 2.0 or 1.1 ports. The USB 3.0 technology offers a maximum data transfer rate of 5Gbps, 20% faster than USB 2.0. You can transfer HD movies or files in just seconds.
- ✔UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Apiker portable DVD player is compatible with most major operating systems, supports Windows 10 / 8 / 7, Vista 7 / 8, XP, Linux, Mac OS10.6 or above. It also supports varies discs: CD-R, CD-ROM, CD+/-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+/-RW, DVD-R DL and VCD ROM discs(TVs, tablets and Blu-ray disk are not supported)
- ✔DESIGNED FOR CONVENIENCE: With the USB 3.0 and USB Type-C 2-in-1 cable, you can use the USB C DVD drive on different devices. 2 standard USB ports ensures quick syncing and file sharing. 2 SD card slots(one Micro SD) are convenient for you to transfer photos shooting or videos by your camera from cards to your computers.—All possibilities in the DVD Rom external drive help you achieve your work efficiently! (Note: the USB flash drive and SD cards on the picture are not included in the package)
- ✔SAFE AND PORTABLE: To protect this external optical drive and for your better storage, we prepared a thick CD drive case for you. The case has shockproof bubble inside that gives full protection for the DVD burner. Just put it in the case and take it to anywhere.
- Keep your workspace tidy and add an ODD only when you need it
- Back up your data, move files, enjoy your multimedia, and Read and Write CDs and DVD to your heart's content with a compact external ODD
- Enjoy the reassurance of a one-year parts replacement limited Warranty
- COMPATIBLE OPERATING SYSTEMS: Windows 10; Windows 8; Windows 7; Windows Vista; Windows XP; Windows2008; Windows2003; Mac OS X
- 【Reading Blu-ray DVD CD discs】:The Blu Ray dvd drive can read blu ray discs. It read CD discs at up to 24x, DVD disc at up to 8x, and Blu-Ray disc at up to 6x. The external Blu-ray Reader supports 8.5G 4.7G 700M normal CD DVD burning capabilities.
- 【USB3.0 and USB Type C Multi-function Blu ray DVD】Offer with a additional USB C Adapter,Backward compatible with USB2.0, stable data transmission speed, up to a maximum of 5Gbps, which far faster than traditional USB2.0(480 Mbps).Stronger error-correcting ability.
- 【Plug and Play, No External Driver Required】No need to install external driver and it is powered by one USB cable. Simply connect it to computer and it will be detected automatically.Suggest that you plug it directly into motherboard USB plug, don't use USB Hub.
- 【Wide Compatibility: Works Perfectly with Most Systems】Support WIN XP，VISATA，WIN7，WIN8，WIN10, MAC OS.Player software on your computer must support Blu-ray format when playing Blu-ray discs.We strongly recommend use professional software to play this product, such as PowerDVD and Macgo Blu-ray Player. [Player software is NOT included.]
- 【Fashionable and Portable Design】9.5mm ultra-thin internal part makes it compact and lightweight enough to carry around easily.this CD DVD ROW Blu-ray burner writer is convenient to bring
- 【Easy to Use】No need extra driver program and extra power supply. Just plug into the USB 3.0 port directly on laptop or desktop with Windows 10, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, Linux, all versions of Mac OS, it will be recognized and installed automatically. Ideal for Apple Macbook Air / MacBook Pro / iMac / Dell / Hp / Lenovo / Sony / Samsung / Asus / Acer and more computers (NOTE: DO NOT support Chromebook, TV, and Car)
- 【Faster USB 3.0】High speed USB 3.0 external DVD drive with 100% durable brand new DVD loader and low impedance & anti-interference ability, bring you faster and smooth experience. Backwards compatible with USB 2.0, 1.0
- 【Multifunctional】It's not only a reader, but also writer / rewriter / burner, which allows you to enjoy movies, music, back up data, install software / system, burn discs and more. Support CD-R, CD-ROM, CD+/-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+/-RW, DVD-R DL, VCD ROM discs
- 【Portable & Safe】Thicker protective storage carrying sleeve with shockproof bubble provides comprehensive protection for USB 3.0 portable external DVD drive, allow you to enjoy movies, music, installing software, burning discs at any time anywhere, no matter daily use, study, office work or enjoy it during a trip
- 【Worry-free Shopping】5-years of experience in optical drives allows us to have the ability to provide you with premium quality products and professional support services. Please contact us if you have any questions, 100% satisfaction guarantee!
- 【No Extra Driver Required】Just plug in the USB-A or USB-C port on the motherboard of computer or a self-powered USB hub, it will be recognized automatically by your laptop, then it will allow you to watch DVD movies, burn music, install software & game, data backup, etc. through the corresponding software (such as VLC player, PowerDVD, etc.)
- 【USB 3.0 & USB-C】Classic ultra-thin design with faster USB 3.0 and USB Type-C adapter makes it easier to carry and use on different laptops, plug and play, no matter you are at home/ school/ office/ travel, etc. The USB connector is built with the optical drive, no worry about losing the cable.
- 【High-Quality Performance】100% durable brand new DVD loader with strong error-correcting, low impedance, and anti-interference ability, bring you a fast and smooth experience.
- 【Wide Compatibility】 (Disk) CD-ROM, CD-R, CD+/-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+/-RW, DVD-R DL, VCD discs; (System) All versions of Mac OS, Linux, and Windows 10, 8.1, 7, XP, Vista; (Computer) Most brands of Windows laptops and Apple iMac / Macbook series.
- 【Worry-free Shopping】5-years of experience in optical drives allow us to have the ability to provide you with premium quality products and professional support services. If you have any questions before or after purchase, please feel free to reach out to us on Amazon or Google, 100% satisfaction guarantee!
External Cd Drive Buyer Guide
If you need a burner, but your computer doesn’t have one, don’t worry. There are numerous models on the market with an excellent relationship between the quality offered and the sale price.
Take a look at our ranking at the bottom: you will find a review of what are the best devices for us for this year. First, however, let’s examine some features in the guide that will help you get a clearer idea of the product you are about to buy.
Type and Technology
Most modern computers tend to eliminate the disc player inside, which could also be useful for installing programs, watching DVDs, or creating backup media. The best brand recorders differ from the others because they are also compatible with Blu-ray.
Therefore, if you have a collection at home that you have decided to burn or just to watch when you have time, this is the type of reader/burner that could be right for you. The others, those who only read/burn CDs and DVDs, however cheaper, risk proving to be a bad investment.
As for technology, the most sophisticated models are equipped with a system capable of supporting 2D-3D conversion.
In other words, they manage to provide further depth to the images, and the impression for the user will be to enjoy a three-dimensional film or show, almost as if he were at home or in the cinema wearing glasses.
Of course, the level of realism does not go that far but remains, however, higher than the two dimensions.
During the read/write phase, many burners generate an annoying noise that could become inappropriate in the late evening or in environments where silence is required, such as a library.
That’s why the models most appreciated by consumers are those that, thanks to the latest technologies, can read and write on the disc in an incredibly silent way, ideal for using them always and everywhere.
Compatibility and Use
Not all burners are compatible with any operating system, so compare prices and performance but check if the model you like is suitable for the version of Windows or Mac you have.
Usually, these devices are straightforward to use because they are plug & play, so just connect them, and the operating system immediately recognizes them. There is no need to download programs or install drivers, ideal for those who are not a technology expert.
Sometimes you may have to burn a disc that is not in perfect condition. In this case, a device that can continue playback even in the presence of scratches, fingerprints, damaged areas, and incorrect data could be useful.
Many times, finally, users complain of excessive slowness in burning, and, in this case, you may prefer models with USB 3.0 technology for a much faster data transfer.
Among the other features that could have a weight to choose your burner, there is the supported capacity, especially for those who want to buy a Blu-ray compatible model. In this case, the most capable devices are the so-called BDXL with a storage capacity that allows you to write even up to 128 GB.
The design could be another critical element both from an aesthetic and functional point of view since light and the compact burner is more natural and more comfortable to carry.
Finally, if you want to protect files, in particular, you may appreciate the function that allows you to hide them or the possibility of entering a password or, better yet, the presence of both.
How to Use an External Burner?
How to Keep a Cd or Dvd?
The average length of CDs and DVDs will vary based on the burn process and where they are stored. It is usually recommended to store them in places that are not excessively humid or subject to extreme temperature changes.
Given the right premises, a CD can last much longer than modern mechanical hard drives that often run into problems with reading and writing.
Even comparing them with USB sticks, they come out with their heads held high. The latter, in fact, in contact with several computers could be infected with dangerous viruses that act without the user noticing.
Types of Burners
On the market, you will find two types of burners: internal and external. In this article, we will cover only the latter, as they are much easier to connect to your computer, be it desktop or laptop.
The operation is straightforward. First of all, place the recorder on a stable shelf that is not subject to shocks of any kind. This precaution is to prevent errors from being created when writing to CD or DVD, making it impossible to read the medium.
Now take the power cord, if it is provided, and connect it to the power outlet. You just have to use the USB cable to interface the recorder with your computer.
As a rule, since they are Plug & Play systems, all you have to do is wait for the automatic installation of the drivers. However, if a different procedure is indicated in the instruction booklet, we invite you to follow it carefully.
It may be necessary to access the manufacturer’s website to download the updated drivers needed for the correct functioning of the device.
Once you have completed this essential step, you will have to obtain a burning software or use the fundamental one of Windows.
It is possible to find free, performing and reliable ad hoc programs, however, our advice is to buy a dedicated one, perhaps equipped with a wizard (automated procedure) to guide you step by step in your first burns.
CDs and DVDs
Also, don’t forget to buy quality CDs and DVDs, to ensure that your files are safe and don’t deteriorate prematurely.
For convenience, create a folder on the desktop and insert all the files you want to transfer to CD or DVD inside, taking care to check the size of the folder from time to time to understand when to stop. For a CD, it would be preferable to be around 600 MB, while, for DVDs, about 4 GB.