Fitness watches can be called in a myriad of different ways: more generally as an activity tracker, or even sports watch, and they can take different forms. There are the models that have the shape of a classic watch, others that look like bracelets that are a little more “bellied.”
Whether you are looking for an economic model or a professional model, know that you are in the right place. Today I will guide you in choosing the best fitness watch based on your personal needs, showing you step by step everything you need to know to guide you in your next purchase.
Before starting, I advise you to take some time and read the next few lines, so that you understand what the features you need are based on the daily activities you carry out.
Here we had listed out some of the best fitness watches with the advanced features that are present below.
- Large Stylish Dial Display: 1.3-inch TFT-LCD color touch screen features 4 different customizable displays, making it easier and quicker to view the time, day of the week，date, steps travelled, and calories burned, your message notifications can also be displayed straight to your device screen
- Heart Rate Monitoring & Sleep Tracking: Automatically monitor your daily real-time heart rate, and track your sleep quality status to get a better understanding of your health
- All-day Fitness Tracking: Accurately records your activity data such as: steps taken, distance travelled, calories burned, minutes active and your weekly/monthly accumulative data, you can also see your fitness targets at a glance allowing you to easily control your rhythm of exercise, helping you to adjust and make your exercise as effective as possible
- More Smart Functions: Music control, incoming call notifications with the option to long press to hang up, up to 10 alarm clocks, timer functionality, breathing guides, sedentary alerts, wrist sensor,target settings, all this plus the option to sync your data with Strava
- Great Battery Life: Built with a 210mAh battery that only takes 2.5 hours to charge and can be used for up to 10 days with a standby time of 30-45 days. You can adjust the screen brightness according to your needs
- ♥【Smart watch for Android Phones Samsung iPhone】- Compatible with most iOS 8.0 & Android 4.4 above smartphones. Download and install Free "VeryFitPro" APP, bind this smartwatch in your cell phone,you can receive alerts of calendar, SMS, incoming calls and SNS (Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter and more) on this watch;It will never let you miss any important things.
- ♥【Accurate Fitness Tracker】- Supports 9 sports such as Walking, running, bicycle , Hike, Mountaineering, Dynamic cycling, fitness, treadmill, Yoga. Accurately record all-day activities like steps, distance, calories burned, miles walked, active minutes. Can track all your workout routes, distances, and physical status during exercise. Stay motivated all day!
- ♥【24/7 Heart Rate Monitor & Sleep Tracker】- Automatically monitor your real-time heart rate, and provide comprehensive analysis of your sleep quality (deep sleep,light sleep and wake up time) to help you develop a healthier lifestyle.
- ♥【Waterproof Fitness Watch & Long-Lasting Battery】- Willful smart watches is designed with IP68 waterproof rating,which allows you to swim in the pool with it with no worries(NOTICE:It can not track your swimming data). Large capacity and low power consumption design offers longer endurance.It support 7 days of normal use and 30 days standby time
- ★【More Practical Tools 】- Willful smart watch also features with many practical tools, such as alarm clocks, stopwatch, timer,deep breather guide, music controller, sedentary reminder, adjust brightness,find phone.
- Heart Rate & Sleep Monitoring: Tracks real-time heart rate automatically & continuously and automatically tracks your sleep duration & consistency with comprehensive analysis of sleep quality data, helping you adjust yourself for a healthier lifestyle
- All-day Activity Tracking: Accurately record all-day activities like steps, distance, calories burned, active minutes and sleep status
- Multi-Sport Modes & Connected GPS: 14 exercise modes help you better understand specific activity data; Connect the GPS on your cellphone can show run stats like pace and distance and record a map of your workout route
- See Calls & Messages on Your Wrist: Receive call, calendar, SMS and SNS (Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter) notifications on display; never miss the messages that matter
- Built-in USB Plug: Easy to charge with any USB block and computer; no charging cable and dock needed; one single charge gives you up to 7 days of working time
- 【Accurate Fitness Tracker Watch】SoundPEATS fitness watch accurately records your steps, distance walked, calories burned and heart rate at your wrist all day, motivating you to reach your exercise goal with real-time statistics on the watch. It also supports extra 12 sports modes to help you track your other exercise patterns and connects to your smartphone's GPS to draw the route map in the SOUNDPEATS SPORTS app.
- 【Smart Watch for iPhone Android Phones】This smartwatch is compatible with Android 4.4 & ios 8.0 and above smartphones. You can get incoming calls, text messages, and social media notifications, such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram, and more on your wrist. You can also read them diredctly on the watch, staying connected with the world.
- 【Sleep Quality Tracker& More Practical Tools】This fitness watch automatically records your sleep activity, recording your deep sleep, light sleep and awake duration. You can get a comprehensive sleep quality analysis and healthy insights in SOUNDPEATS SPORTS app. It can also wake you up with silent vibrating alarms. This multi-functional watch also has many practical tools, like weather/ music controller/ breath training/ stopwatch/ countdown/ alarm clocks/ find your phone/ sedentary reminder.
- 【Swimming Waterproof& 10+ Days Battery】Don't bother yourself to take off the fitness watch frequently as this sports watch is rated IP68 waterproof and has super long battery life. You can feel free to sweat it out during exercise, shower, wash hands, play in the rain or swim with it. With the built-in 260mAh battery, this digital watch can work up to 10 days with one single full charge of 2 hours.
- 【Touch Screen & Comfortable Wearing】This smartwatch is equipped with a 1.4-inch color touch screen and 5 customizable watch faces, making it easy to operate and read the data. The adjustable wristband of this light-weight watch fits a wrist between 6.1 to 9.3 inches (perimeter), suitable for men, women, and teens. Perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Birthday gifts.
- Use amazon Alexa built in to get quick news and information, check the weather, set timers and alarms, control your smart home devices and more all through the sound of your voice (third party app may be required; amazon Alexa not available in all countries)
- Based on your heart rate, time asleep and restlessness, sleep score helps you better understand your sleep quality each night; also track your time in light, deep and REM sleep stages and get personal insights
- Control your Spotify app, download Pandora stations and add Deezer playlists, plus store and play 300+ songs on your wrist (subscription required; Pandora is us only)
- With a larger display and an always on option, your information’s always a quick glance away (always on display requires more frequent charging)
- Track heart rate 24/7, steps, distance, calories burned, hourly activity, active minutes and floors climbed. Syncing range - up to 6.1 meters
- Smartwatches powered with Wear OS by Google work with iPhone and Android Phones. Case size: 44 millimeter; Band size: 22 millimeter; interchangeable with all Fossil 22 millimeter bands
- Battery: 24 Hr+ multi day extended mode. Varies based on usage and after updates install. USB cable with magnetic charger snaps to rings on watch caseback and spins 360 degrees for ease of use. Charge up to 80% in under an hour
- Health and fitness: Heart Rate & Activity Tracking using Google Fit; Built-in GPS for distance tracking; Swimproof design 3ATM; New wellness enhancements allow you to track sleep history, monitor your restfulness and set sleep goals
- Lifestyle: This smart watch has always on display with thousands of watch faces to personalize your look and always see the time. Hundreds of apps from assistant to fitness, payments, music, social, news, games, stop watches, and more. With a swimproof design and charging in less than an hour, it’s perfect for all your activities.
- Smart watch functions: Stay connected with notifications for calls, texts, apps and automatic time, time zone and calendar syncing. Never miss a call - answer and make calls directly on your watch when your phone is out of reach.
- 【Accurate Fitness Tracker Watch】- YAMAY watch will accurately track your all-day steps,calories consumption,distance traveled,heart rate.It also supports extra 7 sports modes to help you track your other exercise patterns,and will connect to smartphone's GPS to draw the route map in the related app.
- ♥【 Smart Watches for iPhone Android Phones】- This watch is compatible with most iOS 8.0 & Android 4.4 above smartphones(not for pc or tablet).You can get call, text, calendar,email and messages alerts and read them diredctly on the watch.This watch can fit for 6.5 - 9.5 inch wrist(perimeter), suitable for men women and kids.
- ♥【 Sleep Tracker with More Practical Tools】- This watch will auto detect and track your sleep,and analyze your sleep quality.You can easily check the data in the verfitpro app.This watch also has many pratical tools,like alarm clocks,music controller,deep breath guide,sedentary reminder,stopwatch,timer.
- ♥【 7+ Days Battery & Swimming Waterproof】- Compared with traditional watches,YAMAY watch enhanced the battery life a lot.With one single full charge,it can work 7-10 days.This watch also has IP68 waterproof standard,you can wear it with no worries when washing hands or swimming
- ♥【 Stay Active and Stay Healthy】- This watch has accurate readings,practical tools,stylish looks,light-weight and comfortable wearing on the wrist,buy with affordable price,being a very good gift for friends and family members to help them Stay Active and Stay Healthy
- Easy-to use GPS running watch tracks how far, how fast and where you run
- Estimates heart rate at the wrist, all day and night, using Garmin elevate wrist heart rate technology
- Connected features: Smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, live tracking and music controls (when paired with a compatible smartphone)
- All-day activity tracking estimates steps, calories and intensity minutes and reminds you when to move
- Automatically uploads your data to Garmin Connect, our free online fitness community where you can join challenges, receive insights and share your progress as you meet your goals
- Rugged GPS watch built to withstand the toughest environments
- Constructed to U.S. Military standard 810G for thermal, shock and water resistance (rated to 100 meters)
- Built in 3 axis compass and barometric altimeter, plus multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, Glonass and Galileo) support helps track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Monitor your estimated heart rate, activity and stress; Train with preloaded activity profiles. Strap material: Silicone
- Stay connected with smart notifications (with a compatible smartphone) and automatic data uploads to the Garmin connect online fitness community
- Hybrid Smartwatch HR (Heart Rate) works with iPhone and Android Phones
- Enjoy long lasting battery. This is a smart watch that can last up to 2+ weeks on a single charge. Magnetic USB charger included. Varies based on usage and after updates install
- Equipped with Heart rate sensor for in-depth wellness tracking. Keep track of your steps, active minutes, calories, heart rate, sleep
- This is one smart watch - Receive and view smartphone notifications and alerts, see calendar and weather updates, control your music and more
- An innovative timepiece designed with integrated mechanical hands and an always-on read-out display showing curated information at a glance; Case size: 42mm; Band size: 22mm; interchangeable with all Fossil 22mm bands; water resistant to 165ft (50m); imported
- Use built-in GPS to see your pace and distance on screen during outdoor runs, rides, hikes and more and see a workout intensity map in the app that shows your heart rate changes along your route
- With Active Zone Minutes, feel a buzz when you reach your target heart rate zones during exercise, and celebrate when you earn extra minutes outside of exercise
- Get a 90-day free trial of the Fitbit Premium to help you stay active, sleep well and manage stress. Unlock it all in the Fitbit app. (Valid payment method required. Cancel before free trial ends to avoid subscription fees. Offer valid for new Premium users only)
- Use 24/7 heart rate to track resting heart rate & better measure calorie burn. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth LE and internet connection. Syncs with Mac OS X 12.2 and up, iPhone 5S and later, iPad 5 gen. and later, Android 7.0 and later
- See your SpO2 nightly average and range on wrist, and view trends over the past week in the Fitbit app (SpO2 is not available in all markets. The SpO2 feature is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition or for any other medical purpose)
Buyer Guide to Choose the Best Fitness Watches
The display of a fitness watch can have different sizes and shapes. There are, in fact, models that use a circular dial, but there are several models that adopt a square dial, such as Apple’s Apple Watches.
In any case, the panel resolution is indicated with two numbers, for example, 240 × 240 pixels. In this case, the presence of 240 pixels (points) is indicated for both the horizontal and vertical sides.
As happens on smartphones, TVs, and other types of displays, the resolution does not indicate the dimensions of the panel (which are declared in inches or millimeters ), nor its definition, but only the calculation of pixels present inside the display.
The more advanced models can also have a touch-screen, i.e., a touch-sensitive panel as a command input mode, others have physical or capacitive keys, wheels, and other input modes.
It is however more interesting, on a smartwatch or on a smart band, to speak of the type of integrated panel: many models make use of OLED displays, which consume less than traditional LCD (liquid crystal) and which manage to turn off the pixels to reproduce the black (they are very bright and can reproduce perfect black in the dark).
Unfortunately, very few fitness watches with e-Paper displays, a particular type of technology similar to that found on e-book readers, which offer perfect visibility under the sun and at the same time consume energy only when the status changes.
Pay attention to the models with the always-on function. Are you wondering what it means? I’ll explain it right away: this is a mode that allows you to have the basic information always active on the screen.
The always-on displays are, in fact, always on thanks to an advanced energy-saving mode, which is deactivated when you bring your arm upwards as if you wanted to read the time, or by making a “tap” on the dial.
Smartwatches or smart bands that don’t have this feature usually show the black dial when they are in use. Finally, check the data on visibility under sunlight, an essential part of a fitness watch as you will often use it outdoors.
It is not uncommon to use a fitness watch outdoors or in less than optimal conditions, such as when it rains. There are also models on the market with the possibility of analyzing swimming activities, and it is clear that they must be able to function even when immersed underwater without the risk of breaking.
For this purpose, there are several standards that define the ability to withstand in certain circumstances: for example, we have the IP certification, also common to smartphones, but often on smartwatches, sports watches, and smart bands, we read the word 3ATM or 5ATM.
The first declares that the device can be used within certain time limits at a maximum depth of 30 meters, the second instead that it can also reach a maximum of 50 meters in depth.
The strap is an essential component of a fitness watch since it establishes how comfortable it is and how easy or difficult it is to unfasten in the least suitable moments.
You can get an idea in this sense by reading the reviews online on the most reliable sites. However, to date, almost all fitness watches on the market offer the possibility to change their strap with universal or dedicated models for each specific model.
As a rule, the most famous models offer a vast possibility of changing the strap, with shapes, materials, and colors that adapt to every need.
The straps can have multiple sizes: the one relating to the size of the wearer’s wrist, often indicated with the letters S (Small), M (Medium), L (Large); or that relating to the width of the strap (often in millimeters), which can be useful if you want to change the strap and want to buy one compatible with your smartwatch.
Operating Systems and Compatibility
Another fundamental part of a fitness watch is the operating system, i.e., the essential software that interfaces with the components and, above all, the software with which it is possible to issue commands.
Each operating system is compatible with certain devices, so always check if you can pair your smartphone with the watch you want to buy (for example, to read the notifications, to manage some features, or even to synchronize the fitness data collected for more comfortable reading).
Professional sports watches often use a proprietary operating system, which often boasts the ability to connect with many different smartphones without, however, going deep.
The battery is a very delicate component in a smartwatch since it is usually minimal and should guarantee days of autonomy. Often, needless to say, this is not the case, and many smartwatches – including the latest generation – also struggle to arrive in the evening.
The battery capacity is indicated in milliampere hours ( mAh ). However, there are so many variables that can affect the autonomy of a fitness watch that the declared number does not say much.
Display width and resolution play an essential role in energy consumption, and the always-on mode is also very “heavy” to manage in this sense. Among the functions that most compromise battery life, there is also the use of the GPS module, capable of reducing it even to a few hours.
Now that you know the technical rudiments let’s move on to the more practical factors. In fact, a fitness watch is based on the fitness features it includes inside, and often there is no possibility of introducing new functions with dedicated apps.
On many models, in fact, the functions related to fitness that you can use will only be those available for purchase without the possibility of expansion.
Pedometer, Calorie Consumption
The pedometer is probably the most used function within the fitness watch and allows – as you can easily deduce from the name – to keep track of all the steps that are taken during the days.
Almost all models give the possibility to monitor the history of the steps taken daily, weekly or monthly, and at the same time indicate the distance traveled or the count of the floors climbed during the days.
By combining these data with those of the activities carried out many fitness watches also allows you to obtain an analysis of the calories burned in a given period of time.
Another important aspect of a self-respecting fitness watch is the heart rate monitor, which is a type of sensor – often of an optical type – that allows you to detect the wearer’s heartbeat at any time of the day.
Some models give the possibility to monitor the heart rate 24 hours a day, in order to warn the user when values beyond the norm are found.
The most advanced smartwatch models also have an electrocardiogram (not always of a medical level, however), which allows you to record the frequency and intensity of the electrical impulses that produce the heartbeat, checking for the presence of potentially dangerous cardiac arrhythmias.
If you often do outdoor sports, GPS support is one of the most critical components of the smartwatch that you will want to keep on your wrist.
This component allows you to geolocate the position of your outdoor activities and, in retrospect, to check (through various services) the progress of the training on a map on your computer or smartphone.
In the more advanced models, it is also possible to take advantage of the satellite navigation function, just like on smartphones and tablets.
Analysis of The Activity
The fitness watches are often the activity tracker real, and allow the user not only to analyze the data collected during daily activities and those of gymnastics.
Also, to get advice on how to improve personal well-being, the conditions of health, and performance in gymnastic activities, starting from the same data collected.
Many models synchronize with external services or with apps on smartphones that contain a sort of digital personal trainer able to suggest the best plans to follow to improve physical fitness on the basis of what is observed in the wearer’s sleep and wakefulness activities.
Other Fitness Features
Many fitness watches allow you to take advantage of modes of use designed for specific sports, such as running, cycling, swimming, outdoor excursions, and much more.
Dedicated sports watches can also offer the ability to connect a heart rate monitor, in order to detect more reliable readings relating to the heartbeat, and there are also models that allow automatic recognition of sports activity, intelligently activating the type of activity detected.
Among the most exciting and useful fitness functions, we have sleep monitoring – especially present on smartbands – or the possibility of entering daily goals and following the trend at any time of the day.
Last but not least, the classic functions: a fitness watch cannot fail to have time reading, while, unfortunately, not all models have a stopwatch or timer.