Fitness watches can be called in a myriad of different ways: more generally as an activity tracker, or even sports watch, and they can take different forms. There are the models that have the shape of a classic watch, others that look like bracelets that are a little more “bellied.”
Whether you are looking for an economic model or a professional model, know that you are in the right place. Today I will guide you in choosing the best fitness watch based on your personal needs, showing you step by step everything you need to know to guide you in your next purchase.
Before starting, I advise you to take some time and read the next few lines, so that you understand what the features you need are based on the daily activities you carry out.
Here we had listed out some of the best fitness watches with the advanced features that are present below.
- Large Stylish Dial Display: 1. 3-inch TFT-LCD color touch screen features 4 customized displays, making it easier and quicker to view time and date, steps travelled and calories burned, message notifications can also be displayed straight on device screen
- Heart rate monitoring & sleep tracking: The smartwatch can automatically monitor your daily real-time heart rate, and track your sleep quality status to get a better understanding of your health
- All-day Fitness Tracking: Accurately records your activity data such as steps, distance, calories burned and weekly/monthly data, you can see your targets at a glance allowing you to control your rhythm of exercise, making your exercise more effective
- More smart functions: music control, incoming call notifications with the option to long press to hang up, up to 10 alarm clocks, timer functionality, breathing guides, sedentary alerts, wrist sensor, all this plus the option to sync your data with Starve
- Great battery life: This fitness tracker watch built with a 210mAh battery that only takes 2. 5 hours to charge and can be used for up to 10 days with a standby time of 30-45 days. You can adjust the screen brightness according to your needs
- Retina display
- Optical heart sensor
- Stores music, podcasts, and audiobooks
- Easy-to use GPS running watch tracks how far, how fast and where you run
- Estimates heart rate at the wrist, all day and night, using Garmin elevate wrist heart rate technology
- Connected features: Smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, live tracking and music controls (when paired with a compatible smartphone)
- All-day activity tracking estimates steps, calories and intensity minutes and reminds you when to move
- Automatically uploads your data to Garmin Connect, our free online fitness community where you can join challenges, receive insights and share your progress as you meet your goals
- Better measure calorie burn, understand resting heart rate & more with 24/7 heart rate tracking and a battery life of up to 7 days (varies with use and other factors). Charge time (0 100 percent): 2 hours. The operating temperature is 10 to 45 degrees celsius
- Choose from 15 plus exercise modes like run, bike, swim, yoga, circuit training and more, set goals, and get real time stats during your workouts to see how you can keep getting better; with aerospace grade aluminum, a smooth flush case and corning gorilla glass 3, charge 3 is comfortable and durable
- Automatically record time spent in light, deep and REM sleep stages and see activity trends, health insights and personalized guidance in one place with Fitbit today; Fitbit products are compatible with most devices that have the following operating systems: apple iOS 11 and higher, Android OS 7.0 and higher, or windows 10 v1607 or higher
- Swim proof and water resistant to 50 meters, so you can track swims and wear in the shower (we do not recommend wearing charge 3 in a hot tub or sauna). Also, connect to Smartphone GPS for real time, pace and distance during outdoor runs and rides. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- Stay connected to your day with everyday apps for weather and more and get called, text and smartphone app notifications on your wrist. Small band: fits wrists 140 millimeter to 180 millimeter in circumference, large band: fits wrists 180 millimeter to 220 millimeter in circumference
- Heart Rate & Sleep Monitoring: Tracks real-time heart rate automatically & continuously and automatically tracks your sleep duration & consistency with comprehensive analysis of sleep quality data, helping you adjust yourself for a healthier lifestyle
- All-day Activity Tracking: Accurately record all-day activities like steps, distance, calories burned, active minutes and sleep status
- Multi-Sport Modes & Connected GPS: 14 exercise modes help you better understand specific activity data; Connect the GPS on your cellphone can show run stats like pace and distance and record a map of your workout route
- See Calls & Messages on Your Wrist: Receive call, calendar, SMS and SNS (Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter) notifications on display; never miss the messages that matter
- Built-in USB Plug: Easy to charge with any USB block and computer; no charging cable and dock needed; one single charge gives you up to 7 days of working time
- 【 Fitness Tracker】- Accurately track your steps, distance traveled, calories burned,activity time all day.14 training modes available for you to better track your other activities.
- 【 Heart Rate Monitor Watch & Sleep Monitor】 - Adopt the latest HR sensor for accurate and effective heart rate monitoring;Automatically detect your sleep during 9 pm to 8 am and analyze your sleep quality with deep sleep,light sleep and awake time.The silent vibration alarm can wake you up without disturbing others
- 【 Never Miss Call Message】- See Calls & Messages on Willful SW352 smart watch: Receive call, calendar, SMS and SNS (Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter) notifications on display; never miss important messages
- 【 Waterproof Activity Tracker with Color Screen】-IP68 waterproof stand,Willful SW352 pedometer watch can be used when swimming or diving; 0.96 inch LCD color screen offers excellent HD image quality.Slim cool design make it quite unique from other smart bands.
- 【 Key Features & Long-lasting Battery】- Screen brightness adjustable,camera control,sedentary alert,wrist sense,connect mobile GPS to draw the run path;This fitness watch has a USB plug at the end,just charge with any USB port(no cable needed).One full charge gives you up to 7 days of working time.
- Garmin Pay contactless payment solution lets you pay for purchases with your watch (available for supported cards from participating banks)
- Personalize your watch with thousands of free watch faces, apps and widgets from our Connect IQ store
- More than 15 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, swimming and more
- Monitor your fitness level with VO2 max and fitness made estimates, plus keep an eye on how you handle stress
- Get connected features such as smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, Live Track and more when paired with a compatible smartphone
- Heart Rate Monitoring & Sleep Tracking: Our Letscom smart watch can track your heart rate automatically in real time when exercising and resting. It also records your deep, light, and awake sleep patterns, and can wake you up with silent vibration alarms.
- All-day Activity Tracking: With our smartwatch, you can accurately track your everyday activities and there are also 11 sport modes to choose from. Our fitness watch can also track your workouts in detail, including steps, calories burned, distance, and other vital fitness information. Helping you to see how you perform and how to improve.
- Smart Notifications: Always stay connected and get vibration notifications of your calls, texts, and SNS messages, including Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Linkedin, Messenger, etc. No more important messages missed.
- IP68 Waterproof & 10 Days Battery Life: Our smartwatch keeps up with you even during swimming and workouts in the rain. Our magnetic charging cable ensures easy charging of your fitness tracker. A 2-3 hour charge gives you up to 10 days of battery life or 30-45 days of standby time.
- Wide Compatibility: You can use our smartwatch with your iPhone or Android Phone with a system above iOS 8.0 or Android 4.4. Our 1.3" color screen provides 3 customized displays to suit your style and ensures smooth operations.
- ♥【Accurate Fitness Tracker Watch】- YAMAY watch will accurately track your all-day steps,calories consumption,distance traveled,heart rate.It also supports extra 7 sports modes to help you track your other exercise patterns,and will connect to smartphone's GPS to draw the route map in the related app.
- ♥【 Smart Watches for iPhone Android Phones】- This watch is compatible with most iOS 8.0 & Android 4.4 above smartphones(not for pc or tablet).You can get call, text, calendar,email and messages alerts and read them diredctly on the watch.The watch's screen is 1.3 inch and the band can fit for 6.5 - 9.5 inch wrist(perimeter), suitable for men women and kids.
- ♥【 Sleep Tracker & More Practical Tools】- This fitness watch will auto detect and track your sleep,and analyze your sleep quality.You can easily check the data in the verfitpro app.This watch also has many pratical tools,like alarm clocks,music controller,deep breath guide,sedentary reminder,stopwatch,timer.
- ♥【 7+ Days Battery & Swimming Waterproof】- Compared with traditional watches,YAMAY digital watch enhanced the battery life a lot.With one single full charge,it can work 7-10 days.This watch also has IP68 waterproof standard,you can wear it with no worries when washing hands or swimming
- ♥【 Stay Active and Stay Healthy】- This tracker watch has accurate readings,practical tools,stylish looks,light-weight and comfortable wearing on the wrist,and with affordable price,being a very good gift for friends and family members to help them Stay Active and Stay Healthy
- ✅ 【Heart Rate & Sleep Monitoring】：Measuring your heart rate on every 1 / 2 / 6 / 12 hour automatically, and you can also set up manually tracking once you set it up in the app. Also support automatic sleep monitoring from 6:00pm to second day you get up, it records deep sleep, light sleep, stay up and awake states. Clearly acknowledge your physical fitness status at whole day / week / month.
- ✅ 【30 Days Long Battery Life】：Charge 2 hours, standby 30 days, normal use 15 days. A time full charge gives you 15 days normal use, 30 days working. I think it will greatly save your charging time and improve the efficiency of use.
- ✅ 【Fitness Tracker with 6 Sport Modes】：Switch 6 different sport modes on watch directly. Built-in advanced 3D sensor and pedometer to accurately count your steps, calories burned & distance achieved. Steps: 1. Long press to choose which kind of sport, 2. long press again to enter sport mode, it will count 3, 2 ,1. Then you can start your excerise.
- ✅ 【Call Reminder & 10 Messages Storage】：Not only can check the call, calendar, SMS and SNS (Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter) but also can storage 10 messages on this watch. This will be very practical when you are doing workout or work hard and can't focus on your cellphone.
- ✅ 【1.3inch Large Color Screen & APP supported】：New style 1.3inch IPS screen with bigger and thicker words on screen that allows you to read time and data clearly even under the glare, make colors more realistic. This fitness watch app is “FlagFit 2.0”, you can download it in app store or Google play store, then connect it with smartphone by Bluetooth. “FlagFit 2.0” supports most smart phones with Bluetooth 4.0 or above, IOS 8.0 or above, Android 4.4 or above.
Buyer Guide to Choose the Best Fitness Watches
The display of a fitness watch can have different sizes and shapes. There are, in fact, models that use a circular dial, but there are several models that adopt a square dial, such as Apple’s Apple Watches.
In any case, the panel resolution is indicated with two numbers, for example, 240 × 240 pixels. In this case, the presence of 240 pixels (points) is indicated for both the horizontal and vertical sides.
As happens on smartphones, TVs, and other types of displays, the resolution does not indicate the dimensions of the panel (which are declared in inches or millimeters ), nor its definition, but only the calculation of pixels present inside the display.
The more advanced models can also have a touch-screen, i.e., a touch-sensitive panel as a command input mode, others have physical or capacitive keys, wheels, and other input modes.
It is however more interesting, on a smartwatch or on a smart band, to speak of the type of integrated panel: many models make use of OLED displays, which consume less than traditional LCD (liquid crystal) and which manage to turn off the pixels to reproduce the black (they are very bright and can reproduce perfect black in the dark).
Unfortunately, very few fitness watches with e-Paper displays, a particular type of technology similar to that found on e-book readers, which offer perfect visibility under the sun and at the same time consume energy only when the status changes.
Pay attention to the models with the always-on function. Are you wondering what it means? I’ll explain it right away: this is a mode that allows you to have the basic information always active on the screen.
The always-on displays are, in fact, always on thanks to an advanced energy-saving mode, which is deactivated when you bring your arm upwards as if you wanted to read the time, or by making a “tap” on the dial.
Smartwatches or smart bands that don’t have this feature usually show the black dial when they are in use. Finally, check the data on visibility under sunlight, an essential part of a fitness watch as you will often use it outdoors.
It is not uncommon to use a fitness watch outdoors or in less than optimal conditions, such as when it rains. There are also models on the market with the possibility of analyzing swimming activities, and it is clear that they must be able to function even when immersed underwater without the risk of breaking.
For this purpose, there are several standards that define the ability to withstand in certain circumstances: for example, we have the IP certification, also common to smartphones, but often on smartwatches, sports watches, and smart bands, we read the word 3ATM or 5ATM.
The first declares that the device can be used within certain time limits at a maximum depth of 30 meters, the second instead that it can also reach a maximum of 50 meters in depth.
The strap is an essential component of a fitness watch since it establishes how comfortable it is and how easy or difficult it is to unfasten in the least suitable moments.
You can get an idea in this sense by reading the reviews online on the most reliable sites. However, to date, almost all fitness watches on the market offer the possibility to change their strap with universal or dedicated models for each specific model.
As a rule, the most famous models offer a vast possibility of changing the strap, with shapes, materials, and colors that adapt to every need.
The straps can have multiple sizes: the one relating to the size of the wearer’s wrist, often indicated with the letters S (Small), M (Medium), L (Large); or that relating to the width of the strap (often in millimeters), which can be useful if you want to change the strap and want to buy one compatible with your smartwatch.
Operating Systems and Compatibility
Another fundamental part of a fitness watch is the operating system, i.e., the essential software that interfaces with the components and, above all, the software with which it is possible to issue commands.
Each operating system is compatible with certain devices, so always check if you can pair your smartphone with the watch you want to buy (for example, to read the notifications, to manage some features, or even to synchronize the fitness data collected for more comfortable reading).
Professional sports watches often use a proprietary operating system, which often boasts the ability to connect with many different smartphones without, however, going deep.
The battery is a very delicate component in a smartwatch since it is usually minimal and should guarantee days of autonomy. Often, needless to say, this is not the case, and many smartwatches – including the latest generation – also struggle to arrive in the evening.
The battery capacity is indicated in milliampere hours ( mAh ). However, there are so many variables that can affect the autonomy of a fitness watch that the declared number does not say much.
Display width and resolution play an essential role in energy consumption, and the always-on mode is also very “heavy” to manage in this sense. Among the functions that most compromise battery life, there is also the use of the GPS module, capable of reducing it even to a few hours.
Now that you know the technical rudiments let’s move on to the more practical factors. In fact, a fitness watch is based on the fitness features it includes inside, and often there is no possibility of introducing new functions with dedicated apps.
On many models, in fact, the functions related to fitness that you can use will only be those available for purchase without the possibility of expansion.
Pedometer, Calorie Consumption
The pedometer is probably the most used function within the fitness watch and allows – as you can easily deduce from the name – to keep track of all the steps that are taken during the days.
Almost all models give the possibility to monitor the history of the steps taken daily, weekly or monthly, and at the same time indicate the distance traveled or the count of the floors climbed during the days.
By combining these data with those of the activities carried out many fitness watches also allows you to obtain an analysis of the calories burned in a given period of time.
Another important aspect of a self-respecting fitness watch is the heart rate monitor, which is a type of sensor – often of an optical type – that allows you to detect the wearer’s heartbeat at any time of the day.
Some models give the possibility to monitor the heart rate 24 hours a day, in order to warn the user when values beyond the norm are found.
The most advanced smartwatch models also have an electrocardiogram (not always of a medical level, however), which allows you to record the frequency and intensity of the electrical impulses that produce the heartbeat, checking for the presence of potentially dangerous cardiac arrhythmias.
If you often do outdoor sports, GPS support is one of the most critical components of the smartwatch that you will want to keep on your wrist.
This component allows you to geolocate the position of your outdoor activities and, in retrospect, to check (through various services) the progress of the training on a map on your computer or smartphone.
In the more advanced models, it is also possible to take advantage of the satellite navigation function, just like on smartphones and tablets.
Analysis of The Activity
The fitness watches are often the activity tracker real, and allow the user not only to analyze the data collected during daily activities and those of gymnastics.
Also, to get advice on how to improve personal well-being, the conditions of health, and performance in gymnastic activities, starting from the same data collected.
Many models synchronize with external services or with apps on smartphones that contain a sort of digital personal trainer able to suggest the best plans to follow to improve physical fitness on the basis of what is observed in the wearer’s sleep and wakefulness activities.
Other Fitness Features
Many fitness watches allow you to take advantage of modes of use designed for specific sports, such as running, cycling, swimming, outdoor excursions, and much more.
Dedicated sports watches can also offer the ability to connect a heart rate monitor, in order to detect more reliable readings relating to the heartbeat, and there are also models that allow automatic recognition of sports activity, intelligently activating the type of activity detected.
Among the most exciting and useful fitness functions, we have sleep monitoring – especially present on smartbands – or the possibility of entering daily goals and following the trend at any time of the day.
Last but not least, the classic functions: a fitness watch cannot fail to have time reading, while, unfortunately, not all models have a stopwatch or timer.