Krill oil is the ideal supplement for those who want to take care of the well-being of their heart and brain. It represents a natural source of omega 3 fats and can be consumed in the form of oil or in a capsule. In addition to decreasing the levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, krill oil has strong anti-inflammatory properties.
Although not as popular as another omega 3 supplements, krill oil is becoming increasingly popular due to its properties. Who should take krill oil? What are the differences between this product and fish oil? How is it taken? In this guide, we will try to answer all your questions!
Here we had selected the best Krill oils for you that are listed below.
- 100% Pure Antarctic Krill oil, 3 times more pure than regular Krill oil
- Heart Health Support: Excellent source of EPA and DHA Omega-3 fatty acids which may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Easy Absorption: Krill Oil is carried to your body's cells in phospholipid form so it's easily recognized and absorbed
- No fishy aftertaste
- Only 1 softgel daily with 350mg of pure Krill oil
- Antarctic Red Krill oil softgels packed with 1000mg per softgel and 2000mg per serving
- Abundant in healthy Omega-3, EPA, DHA and Astaxanthin
- Super absorbent daily supplement to support brain, heart, joint and memory health*
- Sourced from the best waters of the cold and pristine Antarctic ocean
- Extra strength soft gels provide over 500 mg of pure krill oil per softgel
- More Krill for your Dollar | Contains 1000 mg of Krill oil per softgel with more naturally occurring EPA, DHA, Phospholipids and Astaxanthin than any other Krill brand.
- Omega-3 Support | Made with Superba Krill Oil, a new advance formula clinically proven to increase omega-3 fatty acid levels in the body*.
- Less Krill smell with No Aftertaste | Krill's Phospholipid-bound omega-3 fatty acids are water dispersible, making them easier to digest than fish oil. Goodbye gross, fishy aftertaste!
- Quality | IKOS 5-Star certified Krill Oil, Non-GMO Verified & MSC Certified Sustainable
- Money Back Guarantee | If you’re not thrilled with our product, let us know within 90 days and receive a prompt and courteous refund. We stand behind our formula!^
- Superior Quality: Heavy Metal Tested, Non GMO, Gluten Free and Soy Free. Bronson uses best ingredients available. Laboratory tested at New York cGMP Registered Facility.
- 100% Pure Antarctic Krill Oil: We only use superior sourced krill harvested in the waters of Antarctica. Our Antarctic Krill Oil supports healthy cholesterol levels and helps to maintain healthy blood pressure within a normal range.* 1000 mg per serving (2 softgels).
- Omega-3 Enhanced: Provides Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Omega-3 Phospholipids and Natural Astaxanthin.
- Trusted Since 1960: The pioneers of Bronson Vitamins were a group of pharmacists who witnessed the benefits of vitamins and mineral supplementation firsthand with their patients. Bronson Vitamins have been consistently mentioned by top medical professionals since our inception in 1960.
- SPECIAL COMBINATION: 500 milligrams combination of high concentration Fish Oil and high absorption Krill Oil
- MORE OMEGA 3's: 2X more Omega-3s than standard fish oil alone
- 4 BENEFITS IN 1: Just 1 softgel daily supports 4 benefits heart, joints, brain and eyes
- SOURCED FROM CERTIFIED FISHERIES: Comes from fisheries that have been independently certified to the MSC's standards for a well managed and sustainable fishery
- SCHIFF QUALITY GUARANTEE: Guaranteed for purity, freshness and labeled potency
- Antarctic Krill Oil 1000mg Per Serving (Krill Oil 500mg Softgel), 300 Liquid Soft-Gels, No GMOs and Soy Free.
- Rich in Immune Vitamins (Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12), Minerals (Zinc Vitamin, Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium), Omega 3s EPA, DHA, Astaxanthin and Amino Acids, Premium Krill Oil for Adults and Krill Oil for Kids.
- Powerfully Promotes Cognitive, Cardiovascular, Joint, Heart Health and Immune System, Help Protect Your Cells against Radicals.
- No GMOs. No Soy. No Gluten. No Preservatives. No Dairy. No Artificial Colors or Flavors.
- 3RD Party Lab Tested for Safety and Purity.
- Delivers a High Concentration of Omega-3s – In just two easy-to-swallow capsules, Viva Naturals Krill Oil delivers 1,250 mg of krill oil, providing 165 mg of EPA and 90 mg of DHA. Krill oil is 2.5x more easily utilized by the body than fish oil, making it a wise choice for those looking for an omega-3 supplement.*
- Supports Joint Health* – Knees, hips and shoulders not feeling like they used to? Adding krill oil to your wellness routine can support healthy joints.*
- Helps Maintain Brain Health & Working Memory* – With its high concentration of omega-3’s, including 90 mg of DHA, Viva Naturals Krill Oil can help you maintain a healthy brain, including much-needed support for your working memory.*
- Provides Protection Against Free-Radical Damage* – Unlike fish oil, krill oil contains astaxanthin, which works as a powerful antioxidant that can help protect your cells against free radicals.*
- Cuts “Fishy Burps” & Aftertaste – Viva Naturals Krill Oil is encapsulated in innovative Caplique capsules, limiting the fishy burps and aftertaste often experienced with lower-quality fish oil supplements.
- CARDIOVASCULAR SUPPORT*/SUPPORTS JOINT HEALTH*: Clinical studies have shown that Neptune Krill Oil (NKO) can help to support joint comfort, healthy blood lipid levels already within normal range, and may help to maintain healthy feminine balance.*
- 100% PURE NKO/PHOSPHOLIPID-BOUND OMEGA-3: The phospholipid-bound forms of EPA and DHA from krill oil have also demonstrated exceptionally high bioavailability.*
- CERTIFICATIONS/CLASSIFICATIONS: Friend of the Sea (sustainably harvested), Non-GMO, GMP Quality Assured
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
- Extra strength 100% pure Antarctic Krill oil
- Heart health support: excellent source of EPA and DHA Omega-3 fatty acids
- Easy absorption: carried to your body's cells in phospholipid form so it's easily recognized and absorbed
- No fishy aftertaste
- Only 1 daily softgel with 500mg of pure Krill oil
Krill Oil Buying Guide
In addition to being an excellent source of omega 3, krill oil contains appreciable concentrations of other nutrients necessary for the well-being of adults and children. If you want to know more, continue reading this section where we will find out more about its characteristics, its uses and the differences with other oils.
What Exactly Is Krill Oil?
Krill oil is a healthy fat that is extracted from a small crustacean called krill ( Euphausia Superba ), which can reach a maximum size of 6 centimetres and which lives in the cold waters of the Antarctic ocean. After fishing, the oil is extracted immediately to prevent the raw material from rotting.
What Nutrients Does Krill Oil Contain?
Krill oil is mainly known for its omega 3 intakes, however, it contains other nutrients that contribute to maintaining health, and that prevent disease. In addition to omega 3, this supplement contains small quantities of omega 6 and omega 9, but also vitamin A, vitamins E, astaxanthin (to which the red colouring is due), phospholipids and choline.
What Are the Benefits of Krill Oil?
Most of the properties of krill oil are attributable to omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) and astaxanthin (provitamin A). However, each of the nutrients present in this superfood has a specific role in the body and consequently brings benefits. Let’s see some:
- Promotes cardiovascular well-being. Omega 3 are molecules with lipid-lowering properties (decrease the level of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood), anti-inflammatory and anti-thrombotic (prevent the formation of clots). They substantially reduce the risk of heart attack and other cardiovascular diseases.
- It prevents atherosclerosis or the formation of plaques inside the arteries, due to an accumulation of fats, cholesterol and other substances circulating in the blood. Thanks to this, it reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke. Over time, in fact, the plaques can harden and obstruct the arteries, leading to their rupture.
- It reduces the levels of total cholesterol, “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides in the blood. As a result, the risk of developing nonalcoholic liver steatosis decreases.
- It acts as a neuroprotector, thanks to the role of omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) on the brain development of infants and children. Omega 3s help prevents neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimer’s and affects memory, concentration and learning.
- It increases the feeling of well-being, improves mood and its use is associated with a lower incidence of depression.
- It improves the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Relieves symptoms of premenstrual syndromes, such as menstrual cramps, irritability and heightened breast sensitivity.
- It reduces inflammation. It represents a useful supplement for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Slows down cellular ageing. Astaxanthin and vitamin E, both contained in krill oil, are powerful antioxidants, which counteract oxidative damage. A lack of antioxidants in the diet increases the risk of premature ageing, atherosclerosis, kidney, eye and neurodegenerative diseases and cancers, among other things.
- Promotes the maintenance of healthy skin. Astaxanthin protects the skin from solar radiation, prevents the formation of sunspots and slows down the photo-ageing of the epidermis.
- Helps stabilize blood pressure.
- It promotes adequate development of visual function in children and prevents various eye diseases in the adult and childhood population. It reduces the risk of suffering from age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, dry eye syndrome and corneal ulcers. All these benefits are due to omega 3 called DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and astaxanthin.
Why Is Krill Oil a Better Protector of Brain?
Krill oil is preferable thanks to the content of phospholipids and omega 3 fatty acids of the EPA (eicosapentaenoic) and DHA (docosahexaenoic) type, highly available, in other words, easily assimilated. These omega 3s are essential for proper cognitive development in children and for alleviating loss of memory and concentration during ageing.
Why Is Krill Oil so Effective for Decreasing Blood Cholesterol?
This happens because krill oil, unlike other sources of omega 3, also contains phospholipids that envelop the omega 3 EPA and DHA and make the absorption of these molecules faster and more effective. As a result, supplementation of krill oil for a short time and at reduced doses can significantly decrease the value of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
Who Can Benefit from Consuming Krill Oil?
Thanks to its intake of omega 3, astaxanthin, vitamin E and phospholipids, krill oil can have beneficial effects on people of all ages, and with different types of nuisances. Without a doubt, cardioprotective effects are the most popular, but they are not the only ones! This supplement is particularly recommended in the case of:
- Existing heart disease or family history of heart problems.
- History of age-related macular degeneration.
- Dry eye syndrome.
- High cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Atherosclerosis (atherosclerotic plaques in the arteries).
- Difficulty concentrating or gradual loss of memory.
- People who want to keep their skin healthy, smooth and spotless.
- Arthritis, osteoarthritis and sports injuries accompanied by inflammation.
- Inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or learning difficulties.
What Types of Krill Oil Supplements Are There and Which One Is Best for Me?
Krill oil is normally taken in the form of soft capsules. Some manufacturers have developed formulations of flavoured liquid krill oil, to improve their palatability, however, these products are intended for pediatric use. Let’s see the characteristics of the different types of krill oil!
- Capsule krill oil: these are gelatin capsules, which contain pure krill oil with a concentration between 500 and 1000 milligrams. They have a delicate flavour and do not taste like fish. Some capsules are artificially flavoured (vanilla, strawberry). We recommend taking 1 or 2 capsules a day.
- Liquid krill oil: the natural flavour of pure krill oil is really intense and unpleasant, leaving a fishy taste in the mouth and causing gastric discomfort. For this, liquid krill oil supplements are flavoured with orange, strawberry or lemon. The recommended daily dose is 1 teaspoon or 5 millilitres.
What Are the Advantages of Krill Oil Compared to Cod Liver Oil?
Krill oil is distinguished from fish oils (including cod liver oil) due to the greater bioavailability of omega 3. Thanks to the presence of phospholipids, which improve the body’s absorption, the effects anti-inflammatory, cardioprotectors and lipid-lowering agents of krill oil are more pronounced.
In addition, the astaxanthin present is a very useful nutrient for the well-being of the visual function and the skin. Unlike fish oil, krill oil is used to slow down the photo-ageing of the skin due to sun damage, characterized by the premature appearance of spots, wrinkles and signs of expression.
What Is the Function of Astaxanthin in The Body?
The astaxanthin present in krill oil comes from an alga that represents the main source of food for Antarctic krill. It has antioxidant powers, capable of fighting oxidative stress and delaying skin ageing. Astaxanthin also helps prevent age-related eye conditions and helps maintain the well-being of the cardiovascular system.
Can Krill Oil Cause Adverse Reactions?
An excess of krill oil could cause changes in normal digestive function (diarrhoea, stomach pain, nausea, eruptions, flatulence) and insomnia. When exceeding the recommended doses, excess vitamin E may build up in the liver and be toxic, causing clotting disorders. For this reason, it is very important to always follow the doses recommended by the manufacturer.
What Are the Contraindications for Krill Oil?
Krill oil is a product approved by the FDA (Food and Medicines Agency in the United States) as it is safe for health. Integration with this product is not recommended in some specific situations, which we explain in this list:
- Allergy to seafood (including shellfish such as krill).
- Clotting disorders, because it may cause bleeding.
- Presence of chronic pathologies (cardiac, renal, hepatic, endocrine). In this case, you should consult your doctor before starting to take krill oil.
- Pregnant women, breastfeeding and children under 5 years. It is not scientifically proven that krill oil is safe for these categories of people.
- Consumption of Orlistat (tetrahydrolipstatin). Since this drug inhibits fat absorption, krill oil would be excreted in the stool and the desired effects would not be achieved.
- Sometimes krill oil in drops is used as a topical treatment of dry eye syndrome, however, it is an ophthalmic product for external use. Also, vegans should not consume krill oil supplements, as it is a product of animal origin.