There are now many apps that allow you to transform any smartphone into a scanner: frame a document or a photo with the phone’s camera and, in a few seconds.
You can get excellent quality digital files. In some cases, however, real scanners, those that deal exclusively with the digitization of documents or photographs, are still needed.
If you think you need a scanner and are looking for some advice on which scanner to buy, know that you’ve come to the right place!
Below you will find a list of best photo scaneers belonging to various categories and various price ranges that might be right for you; also there are a series of tips that should help you identify the type of product that best suits you.
- The easiest way to scan photos and documents. Supports 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 in sizes photo scanning but also letter and A4 size paper. Optical Resolution is up to 600 dpi ( PS: two setting: 300dpi/ 600dpi).
- Fast and easy, 2 seconds for one 4x6 photo and 5 seconds for one 8x10 size photo@300dpi. You can easily convert about 1000 photos to digitize files in one afternoon and share with your family or friends.
- More efficient than a flatbed scanner. Just insert the photos one by one and then scan. This makes ePhoto much more efficient than a flatbed scanner.
- Powerful Image Enhancement functions included. Quickly enhance and restore old faded images with a click of the mouse. Advanced editing functions are also available when needed. (restore function need download V2 version)
- ePhoto Z300 works with both Mac and PC : Supports Windows 7/8/10 , Mac OS X 10.10 to 11.x. User can download the latest version on Plustek website.
- Easily Scan Photos & Documents (1 At A Time) To Digital JPG or PDF Format (At 300, 600, Or 1200 DPI) - Scans In Just 2-4 Seconds
- No Computer Required To Scan - Saves Onto MicroSD Memory Card (NOT INCLUDED, 32 GB Maximum)
- Auto Feeder (Accepts 1 Photo or Document At A Time - Up To 8.5" Width & 47" Length) & Built-In 1.45" Color Preview LCD Screen
- Powered By 3x AA Batteries (NOT INCLUDED, Lithium Recommended) or 5V USB Wall Adapter (NOT INCLUDED)
- 1-Year Warranty & USA-Based Tech Support from ClearClick, a USA-Based Small Business
- 【Go Paperless】Doxie Go SE Wi-Fi delivers smarter portable scanning that you can take and sync anywhere – no computer required.
- 【Easy Wireless Scanning】Doxie's rechargeable battery, included memory, integrated Wi-Fi, and included Mac, PC, iPhone, and iPad apps make it easy (and fun!) to go paperless. Simply insert your paper to scan full-color pages in just 8 seconds at up to 600 dpi. Scan up to 400 pages per charge, store up to 4,000 pages before needing to sync.
- 【Tiny and Battery Powered】Doxie is tiny – the size of a rolled up magazine – which makes it easy to tuck it in your bag or a drawer when you're done scanning. Whether you’re scanning at your desk or on the go, Doxie gives you instant access to your scans wherever you are.
- 【Amazing Software and OCR】Doxie's included Mac and PC apps let you sync scans via USB or Wi-Fi to your desktop to organize and create searchable multi-page PDFs with award-winning ABBYY OCR technology. Save scans to your desktop, local apps, or your favorite cloud services — like Dropbox, Evernote, OneNote, and iCloud Drive. Or, sync scans to your iPhone or iPad with Doxie's iOS app to save and share your scans wherever you are.
- 【Protected by DoxieCare】Every new Doxie includes a comprehensive 1-year manufacturer warranty. Complete with access to the best support in the scanner industry to help you scan, organize, or just provide tips on the best ways to scan your paper.
- Easily Scan Photos & Documents To Digital JPG or PDF Format (Up To 1200 DPI)
- Built-In 1.45" Preview LCD Screen & Auto Feeder (Accepts Photos & Documents Up To 8.5" Width & 47" Length)
- No Computer Required - Saves Scanned Images Directly Onto MicroSD Memory Card (NOT INCLUDED; 32 GB MAX)
- Runs On 3 AA Batteries (NOT INCLUDED; Lithium Recommended) or USB Power Adapter (NOT INCLUDED)
- Includes 1-Year Warranty & Tech Support from ClearClick, a USA-Based Small Business
- Stay organized: Easily convert your paper documents into searchable digital formats
- Reliably handles many different document types: Receipts, photos, business cards, reports, contracts, long documents, thick or thin documents, and more
- Fast and efficient: Scans both sides of a document at the same time, in color, at up to 40 pages per minute, with a 60 sheet automatic feeder, and one touch operation
- Broad compatibility: Windows and Mac TWAIN driver included
- Easy Setup: Simply connect to your computer using the supplied USB cable
- Large, intuitive 4.3-inch touch screen for easy one-touch scanning
- PC less scanning – Easily scan to your preferred destination, popular cloud services such as Google Drive and Dropbox, your desktop folders, mobile devices and more.
- Sharing capabilities with multiple users via one scanner: Create unique user profiles and save information to user-specific folders.
- All in one solution to optimize your productivity. Includes ScanSnap Home to capture, organize, manage your business, home, or classroom.
- The LCD Panel, WI-FI, and USB connections makes it easy to setup and start scanning.
- Pro quality color & detail - get unparalleled scans W/ 6400 dpi resolution & Adv
- Remarkable tonal range - 4.0 Dmax for smooth gradations & fine Shadow detail
- Exclusive dual lens system - selects from 2 lenses for optimum results
- Operating systems: Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows XP professional x64 Edition and Mac OS X 10.6.X, 10.7.X, 10.8.X, 10.10.X
- Create sharp, vivid reproductions 6400 dpi optical resolution1 for enlargements upto 17 x 22 inches
- Scan 35 millimeter slides, negatives and film built in transparency unit
- Achieve robust photos restorations Digital ICE technology removes the appearance of dust and scratches on film
- Bring faded photos back to life easy photo fix for one touch photo restorations
- Achieve greater productivity with ReadyScan LED technology fast scanning, no warmup time, no mercury
- FILM TO JPEG IN SECONDS – Powerful 14/22MP KODAK Film Scanner Converts Old 35mm, 126, 110, Super 8 & 8mm Negatives & Slides to JPEG Digital Files - NOTE; THE SCANZA WILL NOT CONVERT FILMS OTHER THEN 35mm, 126, 110, Super 8 & 8mm Negatives
- LARGE, BRIGHT 3.5” TFT LCD – High Definition Built-In Color Display Features Adjustable Brightness & Convenient Tilt for Easy Operation & Image Viewing
- AN ADAPTER FOR EVERYTHING – Unit Arrives w/Multiple Film Inserts & Adapters for Fast, Flexible Operation; Big One-Touch Buttons Allow for One-Step Scan & Save
- INTUITIVE USER INTERFACE – Includes Helpful Tray & Insert Directory; Easily Edit Image RGB & Resolution, Browse Gallery [SD Card NOT Included, supports up to 128GB] & More
- CABLES & EXTRAS INCLUDED – Mac & PC Compatible Converter Comes w/USB Power Cable, HDMI Cable, AC Adapter, Video Cable & FREE Film Cleaning Brush. Use the included brush to also clean the light box of dust and speckles, to avoid marks on the scanned images.
- FAST SPEEDS - Scans color and black and white documents at blazing speed up to 16ppm. Color scanning won’t slow you down as the color scan speed is the same as the black and white scan speed
- ULTRA COMPACT – At less than 1 foot in length and only about 1. 5pounds in weight you can fit this device virtually anywhere (a bag, a purse, even a pocket)
- READY WHENEVER YOU ARE – The DS-640 mobile scanner is powered via an included micro USB 3. 0 cable, allowing you to use it even where there is no outlet available. Plug it into you PC or laptop and you are ready to scan
- WORKS YOUR WAY – Use the Brother free iPrint&Scan desktop app for scanning to multiple “Scan-to” destinations like PC, network, cloud services, Email and OCR. Supports Windows, Mac and Linux and TWAIN/WIA for PC/ICA for Mac/SANE drivers
- OPTIMIZE IMAGES AND TEXT – Automatic color detection/adjustment, image rotation (PC only), bleed through prevention/background removal, text enhancement, color drop to enhance scans. Software suite includes document management and OCR software
- Built-in infrared channel can detect dust and scratches on the surface of the original negatives and slides. It is highly useful for defect removal without retouching the images
- Bundles Lasersoft Imageing SilverFast Ai Studio 8 ( US $ 299 )
- Standard IT8 Calibration Target (ISO 12641-1 compliant 1997) helps you ensures accurate color results , reducing the need for repeated scans or extensive post processing color correction
- HDRi function - captures this information into a 64bit color HDRi file or a 32bit greyscale HDRi file
- Support Windows 7/ 8/ 10 and Mac OS 10.6.x ~ 10.15.x (Catalina) and 1 year warranty, user can download driver from Plustek website.
- Film & Photo Scanner----8.1Mega pixels CMOS sensor, the highest quality in the market, support 135 slides, 35mm negatives, 3½x5 inch, 4x6 inch,5x7 inch photos and name card. Photo film scanner, negative converter, digital film scanner. 2.4 inch color screen, Mac and PC compatible.
- Smart Converter----Effortlessly scan your photos, name card, slides, and negatives to the scanner (128MB built-in memory) or SD card(not include). no computer needed. Digital JPG pictures in fast and high quality 16 Megapixel scanning instant capturing technology digitizes high resolution JPG files within seconds.
- Easy to Use----Unlike a conventional scanner, the digital photo scanner works without a computer, which means it doesn't require any confusing drivers. Better, faster and easier to use than any conventional scanner. Plus, you can just turn it on and instantly start using it anywhere, the manual including English, French, German, Italian, Simplified Chinese, Japanese.
- High Effective speed----Load adapter enables smooth and fast loading, convert the old 35mm film into digital one. To transfer the digitized photos, simply plug the USB connection cable into any USB port on your PC or Mac and put the scanner in USB transfer mode. You can easily transfer the JPG files to your computer for saving, sharing, edit.
- The best new year gift to your lover keep and share the memory, and it is a wonderful Christmas gift for your family and friends. High effective speed-load adapter enables smooth and fast loading, convert the old 35mm film into digital one.2.4 inch LCD Screen Support image preview and playback function.
- SAVE OLD PHOTO MEMORIES: 14/22MP Digital Film Scanner Lets You View, Edit & Convert Your Old Color & B&W Negatives [135, 110, 126mm] & 50mm Slides [135, 110, 126mm] to Digital Files & Save Directly to SD Card (NOT INCLUDED)
- 5” LCD DISPLAY WITH GALLERY MODE: Features Large, Crystal-Clear Screen with Wide Viewing Angle for Instantly Previewing & Editing Photos | Great for Sharing with Friends & Family or Using as an Elegant Digital Picture Frame in Home or Office
- CONVENIENT EASY-LOAD FILM INSERTS: Quick-Feeding Tray Technology Allows for Continuous Loading Action, Making Scanning Fast & Simple! Includes 50mm Slide Holder, Adapters for 135, 110 & 126 Films, Cleaning Brush, USB & HDMI Cables
- EDITING WITH A SINGLE TOUCH: Advanced Capture Software Enhances, Resizes & Converts Photos Via Easy ‘Scan’ Button—No Complex Screens or Settings! | Easy Options Let You Choose Film Type, Adjust Color/Brightness & Assign Date/Time
- SUPER CHIC. UBER COMPATIBLE: Device Handles All Your Old Slides & Negatives, Supports SD or SDHC Cards [Up to 32GB] (NOT INCLUDED) & Connects to Any Type-C USB-Enabled Computer | Gorgeous Design Blends Seamlessly w/ Your Home Décor
Best Photo Scanner Buyer Guide
Type, resolution, colors, and scanning speed are just some of the factors to consider before purchasing the best automatic slide scanner for your needs.
For this reason, before moving on to the list of the best devices, it is essential to clarify all the technical characteristics to be evaluated before clicking on the “buy” button.
Resolution is another significant factor in which sharpness and image quality depend. Many scanners allow you to choose between 300 DPI, 600 DPI, and 1200 DPI.
Figures that do nothing but represent the density of pixels per inch of a scan that is the resolution. For a standard document, the most suitable decision is 600 DPI, while for a photograph it is recommended to scan at 1200 DPI.
One of the most important factors to consider before purchasing a best scanner is the so-called Dmax. It is a value that measures the optical density and the quality of the details that the device can record mainly in the shadows of the negatives or the brightest light points.
Clearly, the higher the Dmax level, the greater the detail captured by the scanner.
Given the nature and composition of the slides, it is crucial to verify that the model chosen supports the dust reduction technology.
This allows you to eliminate the imperfections of the image caused precisely by the grains of dust. The result is a cleaner, sharper image with higher quality.
Compatibility is a fundamental feature, which must be verified based on the computer to which the automatic slide scanner will be connected.
If you are using a Windows computer, the problems may be few. Still, things may change if you are using a Mac or a laptop with Linux. In essence, it is therefore essential, before buying your wireless scanner, to make sure that the model chosen is compatible with the operating system installed on the computer.
Best Inexpensive Slide Scanner
Once clear the factors to consider, let’s move on to the real buying guide. We will start with the most exciting devices of the low end, devices that despite being very cheap guarantee excellent value for money.
Range and Speed
Another important aspect, especially if the need to purchase a best photo scanner is to place it in an office, and it is the speed of the device, or its ability to scan a certain number of pages in a minute.
Some models, for example, can host multiple sheets or photographs at the same time and scan them without you having to “assist” them. In this way, you will save precious time.
The last technical aspect to consider is the dynamic range. Still, it is an assessment to be made only if you are interested in scanning photographs and slides since it indicates the ability to reproduce the details of the image with various levels of brightness, going to recognize the darkest and lightest areas.
Flat, Duplex or Automatic
Comparing the prices, the cost changes are related to the type of device, since there are three different versions. The most popular model is the flatbed scanner, designed to scan documents on a single page. It is characterized by a cheaper cost but is not very fast and therefore suitable for occasional use.
The scanner with automatic feeder, on the other hand, is more extensive and is designed to scan a large number of documents, thanks to the feeder that allows you to load all the pages and then perform the operation.
Fast and autonomous, it is ideal for offices or if you need high volumes.
Finally, duplex models have sensors on both sides and are therefore able to scan the front and back of a document in one go.
These are scanners that look similar to fax machines or best epson printers designed for professional use. They scan documents line by line and include an automatic loader (ADF) that allows you to scan multiple documents in series.
They are perfect for text documents, while they are not suitable for scanning photos and other “graphic” content. They are generally more expensive than flatbed scanners.
Sending and Receiving Directly from The Cloud
Once this aspect has been clarified, we can say without a shadow of a doubt that the iX500 ScanSnap scanner is characterized by excellent performance, and is specifically designed to facilitate communication with networks as much as possible.
This means that you will no longer be forced to make the files pass on your computer, as in the case of scanners equipped with the TWAIN standard. You can download or send them directly on your smartphone, on the Cloud, or as email attachments, in an easy and above all fast way.
High System Compatibility
The iX500 scanner has a CIS image sensor, therefore in color, capable of performing double-sided scans simultaneously, with a maximum resolution of 1,200 x 1,200 dpi in black and white and 600 x 600 dpi in color.
In addition to Wi-Fi connectivity, it also has a USB 3.0 interface, compatible with versions 2.0 and 1.1, is extremely compact, with a footprint of only 29.2 x 15.9 x 16.8 cm, and is compatible with Windows, Mac systems and currently most popular Cloud services.
As regards the file format, it is compatible with PDF, also in the searchable version, JPEG, Word, and Excel with modification options, smartphones, tablets, and cameras, and it can scan business cards.
The management software is straightforward and intuitive, and offers a wide range of scan modes; buyers particularly appreciated this in this respect, as well as for the ease of interfacing with the web and mobile devices.